Can I wear nice, dressier shorts to dinner

The policy is no shorts in the MDR for dinner (lunch is ok) but enforcement varies. If you prefer to wear shorts, the windjammer is casual every night. Otherwise you can try to wear them in the MDR but shouldn't be surprised if you're asked to go back and change.

Like some said, it varies from ship to ship, at least a little. We are not formal dressers, and we always eat in the MDR if we chose. I do not know why people get so upset with shorts, especially nice shorts. The problem is that many people and crew cannot identify what nice shorts are. I have seen too much distasteful dress, from old and young cruisers. I have seen women in such short dresses that you can see their underwear, if they have underwear on, they are never turned away on any night. So why worry about SHORTS.

YES, i would like to think that long pants/collared shirt(wait, I have designer T shirts that I wear), are a must on all nights, except for cultural dress, but the those days may be over, at least in the MDR or dining as it is now.

PS, I would not have a problem with your dress shorts.

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Dress Code Policy says no tank tops - Does that include the dressier tank tops that ladies wear now? I can understand not allowing your everyday basic tank tops. We are going to be in the Caribbean in August and I purchased several decorative tank tops to wear.

Bermuda shorts should be allowed in Caribbean & especially Bermuda . With a nice button down & loafers. I think it's a sharp look. I understand not on formal days but all other days should be permitted. The problem people take advantage & dress inappropriately

Dress Code Policy says no tank tops - Does that include the dressier tank tops that ladies wear now? I can understand not allowing your everyday basic tank tops. We are going to be in the Caribbean in August and I purchased several decorative tank tops to wear.

I believe the tank top reference is for male passengers. Have seen lots of women in tank tops, halters, strapless, etc.

I've seen shorts in the MDR every cruise and I also see the MDR entry sign stating no shorts! Obviously enforcement is lax. I have never seen anyone turned away from the MDR and I personally have no problem with nice shorts in the dining room. I actually think they are very appropriate on warm weather cruises.

I understand that "nice" shorts, is hard to define, but we seem to have accepted the "nice" jeans rule OK now. I suspect, and hope, that soon the same term can be used for shorts and the NO SHORTS sign will come down.

Bermuda shorts should be allowed in Caribbean & especially Bermuda . With a nice button down & loafers. I think it's a sharp look. I understand not on formal days but all other days should be permitted. The problem people take advantage & dress inappropriately

Should be in your opinion. Sadly, you do not own the cruise line and do not set policy. The policy is no shorts in the MDR at dinner, "nice" or otherwise. Can you imagine the poor employees at the entrance trying to determine if someone's shorts are "nice" or not?

The policy is no shorts in the MDR at dinner, "nice" or otherwise. Can you imagine the poor employees at the entrance trying to determine if someone's shorts are "nice" or not?

This was the argument against jeans in the MDR for years. We seem to have moved past that now and nice jeans are perfectly acceptable. It seems inevitable that the no-shorts rule will evolve the same way in time.

This was the argument against jeans in the MDR for years. We seem to have moved past that now and nice jeans are perfectly acceptable. It seems inevitable that the no-shorts rule will evolve the same way in time.

I do agree with you, however, jeans have never been "not allowed" or "not suggested." I think that was more the fashion police!

The policy is no shorts, the Compass states no shorts, there is a sign in front of the MDR that states no shorts, yet on every ship I've been on I've seen shorts in the MDR and no one being refused. Our last cruise was on Vision in February and our table mate wore cargo style shorts to the MDR every night for dinner except for formal nights when he wore long khakis. :D

Personally, I have no problem with shorts in the MDR if they change the policy and I think Royal will in the near future.

Sherri :)

I can never understand why some folks get so cranked up about what others choose to wear in the MDR. What someone else chooses to wear has no impact upon the enjoyment of my meal whatsoever. I guess that I am too busy enjoying the company of my wife.