Spirit Coffee Warning

Manxcruiser

Just got off the Spirit on 31st May and felt I needed to warn my fellow coffee drinkers. The coffee in the buffet is horrible. H O R R I B L E!

The only decent coffee I found was in Le Bistro and it was a French press coffee and the high dollar coffee you could buy in the coffee bar and both of these coffees are Lavazza.

We took flavoured coffee creamers and tried it all sorts of ways. Yuck!

The only way we found that we could drink it was to use a bit of the hot milk from the hot cereal stand and then add the coffee to the milk.

Coffee, like food, is subjective.

We like NCL coffees, and food.

People have different palates.

Tim Horton - we hear Canadians love it, but we don't think it's special - we don't like it. Starbucks - we don't like it either. This is prolly why we like NCL coffee, ha ha.

Again coffee is subjective.

Subjective, yes - bingo. Horrible, depends. On par with Burger King's coffee water, worst than those at McD's - definitely, subjective IMHO. French press in LeBistro, excellent & I concur.

No worst than coffee served on most airlines to the masses at 28,000 ft. despite the nice smell while brewing - subjective but drinkable if you are in need of caffeine, horrible as it might be.

Solution, BYO if picky - BYO.

2950064c9b8fd2ea285f8e11bd2c8e98.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think the buffet coffee on just about every cruiseline I've traveled with is the lowest quality. So I don't even bother anymore. If I want better tasting coffee, I just pay extra for it or get the drink package, which includes coffee and fresh orange juice.

Edited by mikeriv79
grammar

I think the buffet coffee on just about every cruiseline I've traveled with is the lowest quality. So I don't even bother anymore. If I want better tasting coffee, I just pay extra for it or get the drink package, which includes coffee and fresh orange juice.

We had the UBP..it doesn't include coffee outside of the buffet restaurant.

Interesting thing about Airplane coffee- probably has to do with the water on the planes along with the altitude at cruising speed - Taste buds all go funky - LOL just giving an explanation here .. but I am a big coffee drinker and pretty much drink it anywhere!!

We were on the Spirit last month and had no problems with the coffee. I'll caveat that by saying we are also not the types to spend money on Starbucks espresso drinks also.

If you want a fancy espresso coffee on the Spirit, the coffee stand is in the Atrium.

I was on the Spirit in late Jan early Feb.

I agree with OP, the coffee was not what I would call good.

I did have the UBP and had the coffee in the Atrium with the liquor on the side. It did depended on the person behind the counter, at least one would not serve them separately.

I've always done half coffee and half ho twater then i can get it down.

The classic Americano!

The free coffee on NCL, well.. guess they don't want a labor-intensive drink like a simple coffee to be a runner. Too much work, too little revenue, cocktails on the other hand.. ;)

Interesting thing about Airplane coffee- probably has to do with the water on the planes along with the altitude at cruising speed - Taste buds all go funky - LOL just giving an explanation here .. but I am a big coffee drinker and pretty much drink it anywhere!!

Yes, LOL - know all about that - folks complained even when one of the US legacy carrier served Starbucks onboard.

One of my cousins retired from LSG Skychef by Lufthansa after first working for Marriott's airline catering and one of the two nephews @JFK is responsible for his int'l carrier's ground ops on the tarmac - including the food services loaded onto each flight ... taste very different on the ground & up in the sky, more than just sodium used to trick the taste palate.

Seriously, that hot brown water isn't worst than served at our HQ's employee cafeteria daily.

Short of getting a good cup of real Kopi Luwak, could use a good French-Vietnamese iced coffee now with condensed milk, easily made at home - don't need the fancy French Press ... not a big fan of the Starbucks hype, although our "Gold" cards are handy, sometimes, while sitting there using their WiFi on the go.

What was the problem with the coffee?

Too strong?

Icky flavor?

Too much like 'Hot Brown Water'?

It's strong and dark and bitter.

I don't mind the first, but the latter two are annoying.

Still, it wakes you up in the morning! :D

I've been on 4 different NCL ships, and the coffee in the buffet/MDRs/room service has all been the same strong/dark/bitter brew. The Atrium Cafe gets a lot of business from my friends and me because their espresso-based coffee drinks are much tastier. I haven't tried the French press coffee in Le Bistro -- it was too late for coffee when I ate there. :cool:

Celebrity has Lavazza coffee at the buffet and it is good.

It's strong and dark and bitter.

I don't mind the first, but the latter two are annoying.

Still, it wakes you up in the morning! :D

I've been on 4 different NCL ships, and the coffee in the buffet/MDRs/room service has all been the same strong/dark/bitter brew. The Atrium Cafe gets a lot of business from my friends and me because their espresso-based coffee drinks are much tastier. I haven't tried the French press coffee in Le Bistro -- it was too late for coffee when I ate there. :cool:

Huh.

I go for .... strong, really black and flavorful.

Hot brown water like from a gas station is what I avoid.

I do know a few folks who just add water to the coffee that NCL serves.

What type of coffee maker is in the rooms

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This I would like to know also. Pod? cone filter? basket filter? 2-4 cup or 4-8 cup? Is it the kind where you can brew hot water and pour over your own travel cone?

And/or how is the room service coffee?

Can you tell I am a little obsessed? LOL

This I would like to know also. Pod? cone filter? basket filter? 2-4 cup or 4-8 cup? Is it the kind where you can brew hot water and pour over your own travel cone?
It is a small drip machine, so you can run it with an empty basket to make hot water.

The room service coffee is the same as the buffet coffee, or possibly worse. At the busiest times in the buffet, they put out those big catering tubs of coffee, which is prepared god-knows-how (I'm guessing it's a coffee concentrate + boiling water). That also seems to be what they fill the room service carafes with.