Home from Maasdam Boston to Montreal Cruise

tewmom1

We just returned from our trip and we so enjoyed it that I wanted to share my impressions. We are well seasoned cruisers, NCL, Princess and Carnival. This was our first HAL cruise and it won't be out last. We loved the small size of the ship, easy to get around. I think the passenger count was around 1,200, very nice, no crowds.

Day 1 Boarding in Boston

The boarding process was very smooth and fast, took less than 30 minutes to be in our cabin. We booked cabin 118 on Deck 9.

We went up to deck 12 to see the views of the city, we are locals but I never get tired of seeing our beautiful city.

Big smiles as we start our vacation trip.

34973630704_f46d7f0243_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

Nice little touches for passenger comfort all around the ship. Every day the towels were rolled up and neatly placed on all the deck chairs.

35773108286_04931fb1f5_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

We were assigned to table 21 in the upper floor of the Rotterdam dining room, a beautiful window seat. We enjoyed the views each evening.

35813797485_03efcc3a52_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

35425037470_c808bd9515_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

Ahhhh desert! First night choice Creme Brule, delicious.

35425036310_27d4703485_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

Our last two cruises didn't even bother with the towel animals, I never get tired of them. Always a little nice surprise to see what the room steward crafts.

35813796165_1ce569df02_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

I will continue my review and impressions shortly.....

A few random images from our first day on the ship.

35773106446_e850f3e307_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

35425131830_88f35ca413_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

35773105066_fe58489839_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

35425129290_8013407e2f_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas was in port as well.

35425125400_08a6978910_c.jpgHAL Maasdam Day 1 by Dianne, on Flickr

Day 2 Bar Harbor, Maine

This was a special stop for us, my Dad and our Granddaughter live in town so we were able to spend the day with them. We woke to a very foggy humid day. Luckily the fog lifted and the sun came out. We had to take a tender to shore, personally hate them, but what else can be done if there is no dock. We got our tender tickets and had to wait about 30 minutes to be called. Once we were called down, the boarding and disembarking process was very smooth.

Bar Harbor is a beautiful coastal town, we have visited this area many times over the years, so we just walked around downtown with our family. I would highly recommend the Acadia National Park excursion, have toured this area and it is beautiful.

The fog remained over the water, you can barely see the Maasdam through the mist.

34858991224_89a5cba0e6_c.jpgBar Harbor by Dianne, on Flickr

The joy to be able to spend time with our granddaughter.

35426712540_c37d501ced_c.jpgDay 2 Bar Harbor, Maine by Dianne, on Flickr

We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, worth the upcharge, large portions of delicious food.

35426707160_a576b9b5a4_c.jpgDay 2 Bar Harbor, Maine by Dianne, on Flickr

Filet Mignon with Asparagus and Bernaise Sauce. Wonderful

35426705820_884fc92e28_c.jpgDay 2 Bar Harbor, Maine by Dianne, on Flickr

Treats from the chef!

35426704390_e423a100e5_c.jpgDay 2 Bar Harbor, Maine by Dianne, on Flickr

Another yummy desert to complete the meal.

35426701660_c46757e47c_c.jpgDay 2 Bar Harbor, Maine by Dianne, on Flickr

Looking forward to reading. Always looking for cruises from Boston !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We love to cruise out of Boston, have done the Bermuda cruise a few times. Really liked this itinerary.

Love your photos!!!!

As you out of your home town, we also will be on her out of our home town of San Diego in February 2018.

We have been on her sister ship back in 2005 Rhyndam also 1200 passengers.

Love HAL. Looking forward to more photos and your blog report.

Hope you enjoy more Sailings with HAL.

Denise:)

I am enjoying your review.

Your pictures are great.

DITTO!

We've sailed out of Boston 3 times, all on Maasdam's sister ship, Veendam. Check in has always been good and I love the chance to come in a few days early to enjoy Boston. Although the port security and porters seem to have an impenetrable accent (to me)!

we are considering this cruise w/my 16 yr old son -- though reverse -- from montreal to boston ... do you think he's be bored on the ship?

I've read so many negative comments about how old and run down this ship is ... We are not big cruises -- only a princess in alaska and seaborn (very upscale) in Europe .. This would be mostly about the ports as we are very interested in the area.

Thanks!

we are considering this cruise w/my 16 yr old son -- though reverse -- from montreal to boston ... do you think he's be bored on the ship?

I've read so many negative comments about how old and run down this ship is ... We are not big cruises -- only a princess in alaska and seaborn (very upscale) in Europe .. This would be mostly about the ports as we are very interested in the area.

Thanks!

There were not a lot of teens on this cruise, however, it seemed that they all banded together and were having a good time. The trip is port intensive, only 1 day at sea. Even for me the sea day was long. There were the usual activities, Bingo, cooking demonstrations, etc., not really my thing. The ship is small and does not have all the cool amenities that the kids like as on Royal Caribbean. That was one of the reasons we chose this ship.

I too read many negative posts regarding this ship. We almost canceled it a few months back. Glad we didn't. The ship is showing some signs of age, but that is to be expected for a ship built back in 1993. None of the people we met and conversed with complained about any issues with their rooms. We loved the small size of the ship, I found it to be very clean have no complaints. I will add one day we returned to our cabin and could not open the door with our keys. The room steward came by and was unable to open it either. They called the locksmith. In the meantime a front desk staff member arrived very quickly to unlock the door with the master key for us. A small complaint I would have is that when we returned to the ship hours later it still had not been fixed. We went down to the front desk and again they quickly got us access to our room. The lock smith arrived moments later and fixed it, we never had a problem again.

Edited by tewmom1

Day 3 Halifax, Nova Scotia

We woke to another foggy cloudy day. My husband and I are avid photographers. We booked an Eastern Shore Tour with PicturePerfectTours.ca. This was not a ship excursion, I had read recommendations from other CC members. We were not disappointed. Geordi Mott the owner of the company was wonderful, he responded very quickly to emails and kept in contact with us the few days prior to the cruise. Our driver and tour guide was Scotty, he was wonderful, informative and took us to come great locations.

35819262615_1131d310df_c.jpgDay 3 Halifax, Nova Scotia by Dianne, on Flickr

34873577554_faf54c4528_c.jpgGarden use of bathtub. by Dianne, on Flickr

34979029264_7c3e937a90_c.jpgDay 3 Halifax, Nova Scotia by Dianne, on Flickr

35819259135_fdcdd74784_c.jpgDay 3 Halifax, Nova Scotia by Dianne, on Flickr

35712834325_bcbe2c5dec_c.jpgLobster Traps by Dianne, on Flickr

to be continued.....

Thank you for your review...the Maasdam was our first Hal cruise...out of Norfolk....have only sailed once out of Boston...but loved it:) Your pictures are stunning!!

Day 4 - Sydney Cape Breton

Another dreary day. We could not catch a break with the weather. The rain held off though, just very cloudy grey day.

Selfie with The Big Fiddle

35822362875_3634a2a952_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

We had signed up for the Bird Island Puffin tour. Despite the weather we really enjoyed this tour. It seemed a little sketchy at first. When we arrived driving up a dirt road by campers to see a small house on the water. We were greeted by the owners wife who was very nice. The boat that arrived for the tour looked really beat up, it safely took us on the tour.

35690024301_4aa6ab0e94_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

The tour did not disappoint, we saw many seals, puffins, at least a dozen bald eagles and lots of other types of birds. It was pretty awesome.

Puffin

35781704176_84a7abe4d2_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

A pair of Bald Eagles

35652926132_699e6eb8d5_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

More Puffins

34981022504_5468bc7888_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

34981023644_d1ef0ed321_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

to be cont'd

Day 4 continued...

Seal

34981026874_cb023540a0_c.jpgDay 4 Sydney, Great Breton by Dianne, on Flickr

I wish the day had been a little sunnier, but all in all a fantastic experience.

Dinner this evening was great as usual, the food was really good. Wonderful desert decorated so nicely for the 4th of July.

35012663023_9d6b9ed1ce_c.jpg4th of July Desert by Dianne, on Flickr

This night we were treated to the most amazing sunset I have ever seen.

35685623516_31b9cb30e7_c.jpgEvening Sunset by Dianne, on Flickr

You know the saying... red skies at night sailors delight.....

did you see much in the way of birds and whales/dolphins?

Except for our tour in Sydney, we did not see much wildlife. A few whale spouts off in the distance, no dolphins lots of seagulls.

Thank you for your review...the Maasdam was our first Hal cruise...out of Norfolk....have only sailed once out of Boston...but loved it:) Your pictures are stunning!!

Thank you very much!