Can we carry our drink into dinner on MSC?

tbmrt

Came across this older post. Wondering if it this policy only applies to the "free Captain's party" drinks. We like to carry our drinks to dinner if we don't finish them at one of the bars beforehand.

On the first formal night which is the Captain's welcome aboard, free cocktails are available in all the bars on decks 5, 6, and 7. The selection is limited: prosecco, martini, fruit punch for non-drinkers, maybe something else (can't remember). The martini was very weak. Also, there was no bringing a glass of the free stuff into dinner with you. The drinks were collected at the door of the dining rooms . This was unique to MSC as it has never happened on other cruises we have been on.

Came across this older post. Wondering if it this policy only applies to the "free Captain's party" drinks. We like to carry our drinks to dinner if we don't finish them at one of the bars beforehand.

On the first formal night which is the Captain's welcome aboard, free cocktails are available in all the bars on decks 5, 6, and 7. The selection is limited: prosecco, martini, fruit punch for non-drinkers, maybe something else (can't remember). The martini was very weak. Also, there was no bringing a glass of the free stuff into dinner with you. The drinks were collected at the door of the dining rooms . This was unique to MSC as it has never happened on other cruises we have been on.

NEVER, in 16 MSC cruises, have I ever witnessed this. There is absolutely no problem bringing drinks into the MDR with you - free or not!

In my limited experience I remember not being allowed to bring drinks into the theater on that night and I remember being told that it was at that Captain's request. Sorry, don't remember his name. Never a problem at dinner.

Same as Bea, never had a problem however there have been occasions where we've not been able to take glasses out of the MDR

That's interesting, Tim. We've never encountered that, either. We have, on occasion, taken glasses from the dining room without a problem.

Bob ................. it's hit and miss with the theatre. I've seen people bring drinks in and I've seen people being stopped from bringing drinks in. I think it depends on the vigilance of the crew.

Two cruises on Divina (last one was April 2017) - each time the free drinks were collected at the door of the MDR.

Maybe the practice is only on the Divina with cruises from Miami.

Did they say why?

It sounds very stupid, doesn't lots of people have some kind of beverage package so that they can order a new "free" drink? It must cost MSC a lot if they force people to leave their drinks when they can order a new one without paying extra for it.

Did they say why?

I didn't ask. Their cruise line, their rules.

MSC is trying to find their niche in the US market. There was a big difference in quality between our March 2016 cruise and our April 2017 cruise. Trying to please a certain type of US cruiser, MSC lost a great deal of their Italian flavor and tried to please those who expect the Olive Garden for food (there was even garlic bread in the bread basket and pineapple on the pizza in April 2017).

Until MSC decides if it wants to be "Carnival" or higher up the food chain for the US market, I expect there will changes and different rules for the US sailings.

Two cruises on Divina (last one was April 2017) - each time the free drinks were collected at the door of the MDR.

I was able to bring my glass of Prosseco to the MDR on my 2 MSC cruises in 2014 and 2016. (MSC Fantasia)

Hoping yours was an isolated incident and not a new policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Were they actually collecting all the drinks or were bartenders standing there with trays to collect the glasses from those that finished it on route? I totally get collecting the glasses but if they are taking away drinks that I have never seen.

That's interesting, Tim. We've never encountered that, either. We have, on occasion, taken glasses from the dining room without a problem.

Bob ................. it's hit and miss with the theatre. I've seen people bring drinks in and I've seen people being stopped from bringing drinks in. I think it depends on the vigilance of the crew.

Thank you both. Regarding drinks in the theatre and not being able to bring in with you, is it then correct that a bar is not in the theatre and we cannot have a drink with the show?

Thanks so much!

. Regarding drinks in the theatre and not being able to bring in with you, is it then correct that a bar is not in the theatre and we cannot have a drink with the show?

Thanks so much!

That's correct - no bar, nor waiter service. Nowhere to put a drink down in the theatre, either, which is probably why it's not permitted to bring drinks in. Doesn't stop people trying, though. I'm sure a lot of people unwittingly do it, not knowing that there are no drinks allowed.

That's correct - no bar, nor waiter service. Nowhere to put a drink down in the theatre, either, which is probably why it's not permitted to bring drinks in. Doesn't stop people trying, though. I'm sure a lot of people unwittingly do it, not knowing that there are no drinks allowed.

Thanks so much for your quick response! Cant wait to see more pictures!!

I didn't ask. Their cruise line, their rules.

MSC is trying to find their niche in the US market. There was a big difference in quality between our March 2016 cruise and our April 2017 cruise. Trying to please a certain type of US cruiser, MSC lost a great deal of their Italian flavor and tried to please those who expect the Olive Garden for food (there was even garlic bread in the bread basket and pineapple on the pizza in April 2017).

Until MSC decides if it wants to be "Carnival" or higher up the food chain for the US market, I expect there will changes and different rules for the US sailings.

Why is it bad to upgrade the MDR meals to an American standard, when most complaints are about the quality of the MDR food and service? I mean the slop served when I was on the Posea year back, was a discrase. The only saving grace were the two surcharge dining options: which is why I bought the Dining 4 Package, for my Sept. Divina cruise.

Thanks so much for your quick response! Cant wait to see more pictures!!

Interestingly though, there have been a few occasions where the cocktail party has been held in the theatre and drinks given out.

Most nights there is no one on the door to prevent you taking a drink in, we often do and as such take our glasses out with us as courtesy to the next people in

Poesia February 2017 Caribbean NO-ONE was allowed to take drinks from the gala cocktail evenings into the dining room so shocked didnt ask why. Mainly full glasses so all wasted!!?

Captain was Corrado Iaconis..

In retrospect it should not have been a surprise as there are no free drinks in the MDR

not even water.

Poesia February 2017 Caribbean NO-ONE was allowed to take drinks from the gala cocktail evenings into the dining room so shocked didnt ask why. Mainly full glasses so all wasted!!?

Captain was Corrado Iaconis..

In retrospect it should not have been a surprise as there are no free drinks in the MDR

not even water.

There are only two reasons I can think of for this policy:

A) The impact on revenue stream in the MDR when drinks are brought in by guests.

B) The extra workload for the MDR waiters in clearing the glasses brought in.

MSC Splendida B2B out of Barcelona Feb .2017 no drinks allowed to be taken from Captain's Gala into dining room. There was a member of staff at the doorway collecting the glasses with finished and unfinished drinks. We sat outside and finished ours, hate waste ;).

[/b]

Why is it bad to upgrade the MDR meals to an American standard, when most complaints are about the quality of the MDR food and service? I mean the slop served when I was on the Posea year back, was a discrase. The only saving grace were the two surcharge dining options: which is why I bought the Dining 4 Package, for my Sept. Divina cruise.

Well said!