11am Flight from Vnice

erros

Just found out that that Marco Polo airport is under construction and all departing flights require a 3 hr check in. Our flight is at 11:05am. Delta and Royal say we can make it. What do the members that have used VEN think?

VCE requires 2 1/2 - 3 hrs even without construction ! It's a disaster.

On one of our visits, we had a noon flight to JFK with Delta. We arrived to the airport at 9:30am. By the time we got to the gate, we only had about 15 minutes to spare before they started boarding.

Granted, the ticket counters won't be open but you don't want to be the last one in line. We wouldn't have made the flight if we hadn't arrived 2 1/2 hrs early.

It's a 20 minute ride to the airport from the port, so for a 11am flight you'll need to be at the airport by 8, or, your reserved ride needs to be leaving the port by 7:30am.

It's a 20 minute ride to the airport from the port, so for a 11am flight you'll need to be at the airport by 8, or, your reserved ride needs to be leaving the port by 7:30am.

Will there be taxis waiting? Better to pre-book transport? Suggested transportation sources?

Only one of my Venice trips included a cruise. This is my one-time experience..... when we disembarked we saw MANY cab drivers but they were all holding signs for reserved pax. So if I was in a time crunch I'd reserve a car or cab. OR, if you can easily manage your luggage, use the People Mover to get to Piazzale Roma where it's easier to find a cab.

Does anyone know how long a taxi ride is from the Venice cruise terminal to Venice Mestre train station?

I'm getting fares ranging from 45-60 Euros and estimates of 35 minutes to 50 minutes from different taxi providers for 4 passengers.

Mestre is on the mainland, just across the causeway from Venice. 10 minutes by bus.

Most taxis can't fit 4 pax plus luggage so maybe you're being quoted for 2 cabs or a private van.

(It's a 20 minute ride to the airport and costs about 45E for a cab)

• 1 year later...

I'd like info on transportation to airport also. I understand there is some sort of water transportation from cruise terminal to airport - how much luggage can you bring? We only have a carryon & 1 checked bag. Our flight is at 12:30pm. How much is taxi for 4 people?

There are 2 kinds of water transfer to the airport.  Alilaguna private water busses and water taxis.   The water bus can take 90 minutes plus.  (it goes the longest possible route).  Water taxis take about 35 minutes, can hold up to 10 and will cost 130€.  Google motoscafi Venezia for details.

On 7/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, FLbeachbaby said:

Would just having a carry on eliminate some of the mess or does it matter ? Early flight as well.

My wife and daughter flew DL, they were able to do online check in, but you still need to go thru security, then passport check, figure that is easily 45'.  Taxi for us from port was < 30' ( no traffic )  far faster than either water option IMHO.

The wild card, can you really disembark anytime?  We were on the NCL Star, disembarkation got an F.  

Like all cruises you get tags and collect and have luggage arrange port side, but to get off they forced you all to wait in turn by luggage time/ribbon.  Walkoff had to wait in a line that snaked all the way into they mid ship.  Problem was "one" gangway, single card read and single bank of elevators all to unload 2800 passengers, like I said an F, it took us 90' waiting to get off the ship, that was the longers part,  I budgeted 30' and made the flight tight.

Lots of taxis at the port, that IMHO is easiest, I know the anxiety walkoff and what if no taxis, but at least for us there were a ton of them, they know where the easy fare is.   

Edited by chipmaster

Have used Venice airport before and yes check in desks are shared and often don't open up till 2 hours before flight

in October have taken fly cruise option with NCL

In other words they allocate flights and provide shuttles to and from airport

flight is 11am

I will be sure to have NCL emergency flight number to hand if they fail to get us to airport in time

On 6/29/2019 at 10:12 PM, snapshot617 said:

Just curious if those with 1105am flights actually made the flight?

Wondering same thing as I just booked same flight for next year.... Hoping ships are still sailing from Venice at that point!