Last Night of a Cruise.

moniquet

I hate the last night of a cruise for obvious reasons but there also seems to be a different atmosphere amongst the crew, as if their minds are on getting ready for the next load of passengers. The last day seems to be taken up with packing, form filling etc.

On a cruise with Carnival the ship was going into dry dock and the preparations started on our last day at sea. Areas cordoned off, corridors full of crew packing up and moving stuff. On QM2 this year every time we tried to get into our stateroom on the last full day the card didn't work, had been fine for 9 days! Crew were preoccupied and all appeared to be grinding to a halt as if their main aim was to get everyone off the following morning. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

I hate the last night of a cruise for obvious reasons but there also seems to be a different atmosphere amongst the crew, as if their minds are on getting ready for the next load of passengers. The last day seems to be taken up with packing, form filling etc.

On a cruise with Carnival the ship was going into dry dock and the preparations started on our last day at sea. Areas cordoned off, corridors full of crew packing up and moving stuff. On QM2 this year every time we tried to get into our stateroom on the last full day the card didn't work, had been fine for 9 days! Crew were preoccupied and all appeared to be grinding to a halt as if their main aim was to get everyone off the following morning. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Fortunately, I have never found that to be true on any line I sailed.

The only thing I have come across is there might be an elevator or two closed off for use of taking all the luggage down after it goes out in the hallways later that night.

My cabin attendants have always done the usual job in my cabins and left me all the important things I needed for disembarking. If I did not see them to give them their tips, I left it on the desk. They have always appeared to thank me before I left the ships, either that night or the next morning.

We've never had this experience. In fact, I've always been amazed at how great the crew members are right up to the point of our walking off the ship.

We are, however, surprised at how many guests seem to think that getting ready to leave the ship the next morning requires the entire day before to get ready. We take about 20 minutes after dinner to pack up and then go out and enjoy ourselves for the rest of the evening!! I also always spend a few moments on the balcony, the last evening, reflecting on my many blessings and the great cruise we've just completed.

So ... what would you suggest to do for breakfast the debarcation morning? Room service or windjammer?

We have been sort of planning a very early am pot of coffee and pastry while figuring out the plans of the day, with a medium late breakfast of eggs benedict during the cruise ...

I was hoping to continue that for the final day, as we do not need to be off first thing and were figuring on rolling me off as one of the final people off ... so we don't impede anybody in a rush to get off and make connections.

In my above posting I never thought of commenting on the servers in the Dining room too. Ours have always taken pictures, given hugs and expressed pleasure of having us on board and serving us.

We have never been treated like they were in a hurry to get rid of us or are preoccupied. :confused:

So ... what would you suggest to do for breakfast the debarcation morning? Room service or windjammer?

We have been sort of planning a very early am pot of coffee and pastry while figuring out the plans of the day, with a medium late breakfast of eggs benedict during the cruise ...

I was hoping to continue that for the final day, as we do not need to be off first thing and were figuring on rolling me off as one of the final people off ... so we don't impede anybody in a rush to get off and make connections.

There is no room service on the last day on a lot of them. ;) The food venues are open for a short period of time and then everyone is expected off before a certain hour. Fairly early, like 10 ish at the lastest.

I've experienced that change of feeling once. It was on the Carnival Liberty while I was sitting on the Lido deck watching the big screen television. Made for a sadder than normal last night for me. :(.

Few people around, crew closing bars, cleaning, all normal things I'd seen at times during the week, but the mood just seemed different than usual.

But on an up note, on another Carnival cruise, one of the waiters who'd visited our table and others around ours, while working in the Lido Buffet on debarkation day talked with us and the others sitting at the table while he refilled items. It was great because he talked about his family and home. :). It made for a happier than normal debarkation day. :cool:

It's understandable that the crew will try to get a headstart when and where they can.

However, I don't find anything personally different.

I can pack in about 1/2 hour and usually take my own bag off when leaving the ship. So, there's no time involved at all in that activity.

I take advantage of every last minute of relaxation and enjoying the cruise experience.

Those of us who pack light know that the last day is a breeze.

My suitcase is a 22" roll-on-board weighing under 40 pounds......takes no time at all.....:D

No you are not alone in my book. We have noticed that often crews are focused on getting ready for the next cruise - sometimes even 1-2 days before the end. This is not unique to any given line.

On our last cruise the cabin steward told us 2 days before our last port, that she would be leaving the ship at that port. We thought that was strange and suspected she was looking for us to give her extra money in addition to our auto tip. Since we had tipped her in cash every time she did something we asked for throughout the cruise we did not tip her more and she did not leave the ship early as she stated.

We do use our cabin right up til we leave, we leave it clean and don't mind telling the cabin steward to wait til we leave to prepare it for the next passengers.

This might be something we need to comment on in questionnaires.

When we disembarked on our last cruise - on the Celebrity Equniox in Rome - we walked off the ship into 3-4" deep puddle of water, right at the end of the gangway because it was raining. It was so bad our pants legs were all wet. I thought I bet the cruise line made an effort to sweep the water away before passenger embarked later in the day. There was no effort by the cruise line or the port authority to make getting off in the rain more pleasant. Can you imagine rolling carryons through a hugh puddle of water? Sure was not a nice way to end a cruise. :mad:

I plan to make some comments on this in the future on questionnaires, so that cruise lines begin to realize we do notice these things.

In general, I'd agree. I know "turn-around day" is particularly hard on the room stewards, who not only have to tear apart each room but then make them up again and possibly configure the beds differently for the next passengers. I'm sure it's their least favorite day of the cruise.

We've never had poor service the last night in the Dining Room; on some lines, that's when they get their tips! It's usually a nice evening for all involved.

Never experienced that on a cruise. The last night, I'm too busy taking in the ship one last time, packing, and enjoying the entertainment. While packing my room steward and other staff were in the hallways assisting guest and cleaning rooms.

I have noticed it,, not on every cruise,, but I most definately have noticed it. Its like we( all outgoing customers) don't count anymore.. its not just about the "turn around" day work load,, its almost like "hey,, we either have your tips by now or we don't" sort of an attitude.

• 2 years later...

I think the atmosphere does change, but I don't really notice it until later in the evening, when the luggage is placed outside the cabins, and the bars, etc. begin to shut down. Earlier in the evening I still have had good service from the crew, and people seem to be still enjoying themselves.

I did have on cruise where we joined for only two nights. The second night was a let down because most of the passengers had been on board for much longer and went to their cabins for an early night. The shows and bars were pretty empty,

I definitely notice it on the final morning of the cruise. Shops are closed, and all of the activity is geared towards disembarkation, but here again, the crew has always been pleasant and helpful.

We've never had this experience. In fact, I've always been amazed at how great the crew members are right up to the point of our walking off the ship.

We are, however, surprised at how many guests seem to think that getting ready to leave the ship the next morning requires the entire day before to get ready. We take about 20 minutes after dinner to pack up and then go out and enjoy ourselves for the rest of the evening!! I also always spend a few moments on the balcony, the last evening, reflecting on my many blessings and the great cruise we've just completed.

There is no way I can prepare us and our things to leave the ship in 20 minutes. I pack things I know we are done with around day 11 of a 14 day cruise and even then, I need at least 2.5 hours to pack up all the clothes, 'things' and bathroom. I pack as carefully going home as coming as most of our clothes have been cleaned while aboard ( it is included in our fare).

No question I overpack but have accepted the fact that after about 80 cruises and I am still bringing more than we 'NEED' but that is what I like so it's clear I'm not going to change now. :D

There is no room service on the last day on a lot of them. ;) The food venues are open for a short period of time and then everyone is expected off before a certain hour. Fairly early, like 10 ish at the lastest.

HAL serves full Room Service breakfast last morning. Hot/cold breakfast will be delivered as always.

In his book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea", author Kristoffer Garin describes the passengers huddled in the public areas with their luggage on the morning of disembarkation: "Just the night before, these people were royalty; now they're refugees."

Personally, I've never noticed a drop-off in service on the last day of a cruise -- I'm just always sad to have to pack. But many crew members have told me that "turn around" is undoubtedly the most hectic day of the cruise for them.

We've never had a decline in atmosphere or service the night before, however I do know some cruisers that were on just prior to dry dock and they stated that many of the areas were roped off mid-cruise. That would be unacceptable to me.

Feeling rushed the morning of debarkation is to be expected. After all, I know there is a whole bunch of us that show up at the terminal bright and early on embarkation day hoping the turnaround is quick so we can get our cruise started. I think it's a very hard balancing act for the cruise line.

I suspect the feeling of let-down is more due to a passenger's own feelings of loss about the end of the cruise than the result of any "get outta here" attitude on the part of the crew. On the contrary, I am usually happily surprised by the ability of the crew to maintain what is generally a very positive attitude as one cruise ends and what has to be their hardest day: turn-around, is about to come.

I notice a difference in feeling but it's more like the last night of sleep away camp. Teary eyed good byes and all.

But I have never felt like the staff couldn't wait to be done with us. Maybe it's because I expect them to be very busy getting luggage down to where ever it goes before it reappears the next day, etc. so I'm not disappointed if they aren't waiting for me to ask them for something.

I've been in the lounges till late, with no decrease in service. The breakfast buffet is often cordoned off so just one area is being used, but that seems very logical. There are fewer of us leaving late enough to linger over breakfast so it seems efficient to close off some areas.

Maybe it's a difference in cruise lines. My most recent cruises have been on HAL and as I said, I just sense sadness that we have to leave. Nothing else.

Now I'm all sad about disembarking and we don't even embark for almost 6 months. Sniff.:(

We've never had a decline in atmosphere or service the night before, however I do know some cruisers that were on just prior to dry dock and they stated that many of the areas were roped off mid-cruise. That would be unacceptable to me.

Feeling rushed the morning of debarkation is to be expected. After all, I know there is a whole bunch of us that show up at the terminal bright and early on embarkation day hoping the turnaround is quick so we can get our cruise started. I think it's a very hard balancing act for the cruise line.

We were on the Norwegian Jade last year, right before she went into dry dock. We noticed NO degradation in service. No areas roped off. And we were in the last group to disembark, and folks were smiling and friendly as they had been the moment we got on. True, most restaurants & shops were closed, but we sat at the outdoor cafe aft and enjoyed the lovely weather and attentive service.

Only time I've noticed the decline was on the last cruise MSC Poesia at 11:30pm the last night, the heads of the depts started walking around the ship and any staff not in direct contact with passengers was ordered to start cleaning. Bars shut down even if people were sitting there and some fire doors were closed and locked to block areas being cleaned making us passengers have to go to the outside deck to get from one end of the ship to the other (it was raining hard too)

Following morning the staff seemed like they were at a funeral, giving very short answers to questions - which was the same way they were when we got onboard but within an hour they were happy and all smiles.

The strangest part was when I gave my cabin steward a tip - ONTOP of the auto tips he took the envelope didn't say anything and rushed down the hall like his pants were on fire. Other cabin staff were going door to door saying goodbye an have a safe trip home putting all their tips in their pocket and moving to the next cabin.

Archived