Itineraries to avoid

For seven cruises, I avoided Ocho Rios, having heard it was a horrible, frightening place. I finally went there on Freedom in January as my traveling companion wanted to climb Dunns River Falls. I loved it! I have cruised enough to understand that, on some islands, you have to be more careful and stick closer to the tourist areas. Doing so made this an exceedingly enjoyable port of call.

I have discovered that sometimes I love places I expected to hate and am less enthused about places I expected to love. I say that being one of those obsessive/compulsive travelers who buys guide books to every port and does hours of research on-line before I cruise. Sometimes, you just don't know until you get there.

The only itineraries I would specifically avoid are those I can't afford or leave from a place that's too costly or time-consuming to travel to.

Everyone has a difference of opinion so it's really up to you what you like/dislike. I can't think of anything to avoid. However, for me personally, I wouldn't want to cruise the Mexican Baja or Rivera iteneraries again. It just wasn't my thing.

That does not make any sense regarding the post at all.

Ok, he gets 30 lashes with a wet noodle for trying to be jovial by trying to equate the room for contraband in luggage as a scheduled port stop.

Now get serious !!!

Because most of the island is desert and the action starts after dark Aruba was just so-so for a day time visit. But I loved the sea days in order to get there. And Curacao was right next door which made the trip down worthwhile.

Are there any itineraries that you specifically avoid when sailing on RCCL?

Yes, why are you asking?

I avoid Ocho Rios because I would rather spend a week in Jamaica than a day in port.

Not fair, I am a local.

I avoid Cabo unless I can visit a Mission or an orphanage.

I avoid Ensenada because of too many trips to Papas and Beer

The only place I have no real interest in going to again would be Labadee. We've been there 3 times and the last one, with all the changes, was a bit depressing. The best beach is under the new pier, and the second best is only for suite passengers now. And you have people 'zipping' past (over) you on the other side.

Yeah, no interest in going there again.

This is highly subjective. For example, I have been to roatan and LOVED it! But, previous poster said they did not like it. I say its a "dont miss". Puerto rico was pretty lame, but I imagine I would have had a different opinion had we been there longer and been able to do an excursion of some sort. It really depends on what you are looking for in a cruise! I would try them all and make your own opinion! Have fun! ;)

Because most of the island is desert and the action starts after dark Aruba was just so-so for a day time visit. But I loved the sea days in order to get there. And Curacao was right next door which made the trip down worthwhile.

Funny. The island I was less enthused with that I expected to love was Aruba, for the same reasons you listed.

Yes, why are you asking? Why are you telling ? LOL

I avoid Ocho Rios because I would rather spend a week in Jamaica than a day in port.

Not fair, I am a local.

I avoid Cabo unless I can visit a Mission or an orphanage.

I avoid Ensenada because of too many trips to Papas and Beer

Is this not a board where questions can be asked for information ?

Are there any itineraries that you specifically avoid when sailing on RCCL?

Not sure there is a specific itinerary, but people will have specific ports of call that are less appealing to them.

For us, Nassau is a port we do little in any more. We make it a sea day when we sail there, mostly on the 3 day cruises.

Have not been to Labadee since many of the changes. If access is restricted due to being in steerage, then I would find Labadee less appealing. We do not book suites and find it a turn off to have 'public' areas restricted to a 'class' of passengers. I fully support extra benefits for suite passengers paying a much higher price, especially if those benefits can be provided without public exclusion. For example a private room for drinks/breakfast/etc(concierge). My opinion.

You have to pick your cruise based on what you like for most part even with lots of opinions from the rest of us. I prefer warm weather cruises, but take cooler ones because my DW likes those types of cruies. She on the other hand takes warm weather cruises because I like T-Shirts/shorts/flip-flops as daily attire.

Hard though to have a bad cruise. 20+ and never a bad cruise! :)

I agree with travelntreats about Nassau. I visited on an eastern Caribbean itinerary. I wonder why they even call them eastern Caribbean itineraries, since they are really made up of southern Caribbean ports plus a lay-over port on the way.

We took a cab to Atlantis and had a nice day, but it was nothing special. An itinerary which included Nassau wouldn't appeal to me unless the other ports of call were of great interest.

I havnt found an itenarary that I dont like since Im on Vacation I would rather go to a real ports or Islands to see authentic reality of others culture I tend to walk around the ares outside of the ports shopping area I eat at a restaurant that has local cuisine. I use cruises to sample the cultures and than decide if I want to come back for a land based vacation. Thats not saying I didnt like Atlantis or Having a B-day dinner @Sandy Lane Resort 2 weeks after Tiger got married there smiley3368.gif

But there are some people would rather go to a man made play area since it is nice and clean

But if there is a port Ive been too a couple times I will make a sea day out of it As Im doing the MR again next month I was there 3 weeks ago So we will not rush off the ship or may not get off at all who knows

Funny. The island I was less enthused with that I expected to love was Aruba, for the same reasons you listed.

See now here's where it comes to "to each his own". I loved Aruba. It was more than I expected! We rented a jeep and did our own self guided tour. We stopped a few gorgeous beaches and hit several of the most common tourist stops also. We had a blast and I would do it again.

On the other side, Curacao didn't do a whole lot for me.

So, OP, my suggestion is if it sounds interesting to you, give it a try. No one knows better than you what you will and won't like.:)

Until you have tried the ports, you shouldn't rule them out. I am in the minority who doesn't particularly like Cozumel, but that could be because I have been there so many times. My first time in Roatan, I loved it (could have been the ziplining); second time, not so much because of the sand fleas. Love San Juan, Nassau, Grand Cayman, etc. For me to truly enjoy a port, it has to be authenic, not a place made up to get my $$.

Is this not a board where questions can be asked for information ?

I was prompting for more information to further assist;)

There are so many reasons not to do a particular port, some good, some bad. After my next cruise I won't ever do another Mexican Riviera port. Mostly because been there, done that. However if the deal is good, there is no way I am staying home.

Archived