How do you attach your luggage tags?

Smoke_1

Great info! I was wondering how to go about doing this without them getting ripped off. I guess I should wait until after our flight and once we get to Miami port. I also went to WalMart looking for regular luggage tags and couldn't find any! I want them for the airport for everybag. Where can I find some cheap ones???

Not sure what cheap is to you but I found some on Amazon - four tags for $7.50. They look really durable and can be used multiple times. Just search cruise ship luggage tags.

I've been using these for years. They're made of thick PVC with strong braided steel loops for attaching. They never tear off. If you have time you can find them on Ebay for a couple of dollars each.

Hi all,

Down to days :D. I've read several threads about luggage tags and I'm still a bit confused :rolleyes:. After I've printed them, followed the fancy folding instructions and "laminated" them with tape, then what? Do you staple them around the handles? If so, do you carry your own stapler? Do I need to carry a hand full of zip-ties, and if so, how do you punch holes?

Thanks in advance,

John

We just staple them , 1 on each handle and yes i carry a small stapler so that when we are on our way to the port.

I've been using these for years. They're made of thick PVC with strong braided steel loops for attaching. They never tear off. If you have time you can find them on Ebay for a couple of dollars each.

After my luggage tag attached by the porter in NOLA with a stapler came off on my April Triumph cruise, I bought these tags from Amazon. Love them.

There's no need to bring your stapler. Just staple them at home. Wrap it around your handle and staple where is says to. You won't need them on the way home cause the ship will give you these tags to put on your luggage. Enjoy!!!:)

It has been suggested many times on here to not put your tags on your luggage at home if you are flying in. Airline luggage handlers are hard on your luggage and the tags could get ripped off.

We have always printed ours off on card stock, then cut off the outside two thirds, then laminated them. Punched a hole in them and carried zip ties to put them on at the hotel. After nine cruises, I finally broke down and bought the reusable tag holders from Amazon for our next cruise.

This is what we use. We bought them on Amazon. Think it was like $10.

Yep, bought some tags similar to these on Amazon for our recent Princess cruise - worked out great!

Fold as directed and staple on at the hotel in the morning. I have zip ties and ziplocs if it is raining. I used to do the packing tape/laminate thing because I read it here but don't feel it's necessary in regular weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wrapped ours in layers of packing tape, punched a hole in it and secured with zip tie. I own a hole punch that I keep in my desk. They are probably a couple of dollars. Can't get any cheaper than packing tape and zip ties. I just use one zip tie per bag. A year later they are still on my suitcase until I cut it off. If the tape is put on the tag thick enough these tags won't go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by smyliecruising

We wrapped ours in layers of packing tape, punched a hole in it and secured with zip tie. I own a hole punch that I keep in my desk. They are probably a couple of dollars. Can't get any cheaper than packing tape and zip ties. I just use one zip tie per bag. A year later they are still on my suitcase until I cut it off. If the tape is put on the tag thick enough these tags won't go anywhere.

Something similar but less involved - After folding up the luggage tag and putting my name on it with a marker, I encase the tag with clear packing tape.

Then I'll insert it through my luggage handle, and staple the ends and sides. One last piece of packing tape then goes around the middle so it stays flat. Voila, I'm done.

I put them on at home, then gave my bag to the airline in NY for my flight to Fairbanks Alaska, then stayed at 3 or 4 different hotels. My bag was moved by Princess twice a day during a 5 day land tour.

After arriving in Whittier for the cruise, there was my bag in my room with the luggage tag intact.

What I've done is attached a small, kevlar box to all of our luggage we take when cruising. The box is the approximate size of the luggage tag when folded. The box has a windowed door with duals locks, only accessed by mine or my wife's finger print. I'm hoping to upgrade this to include a retinal scan, but those devices are still to pricey.

I then fold the luggage tag per the tag instructions, and quadruple laminate it with a special laminate developed by NASA initially for the lunar landing missions, insert it with special spring loaded clips that hold it securely in the box, and then seal the box with a proprietary clear heat activated shield, before locking it and activating the finger print locks. For 71 cruises this has worked for us flawlessly.

I just punched a hole in them while I was still at home then waited until we were at the hotel to attach them with a zip tie. I always carry a bunch of zip ties in the little outside pocket of the luggage for when I might need them (like when TSA cuts mine off and does not put a new one on it and for the return trip home)

We lost two of ours on the last big family cruise using this method and had to go luggage hunting - I now put them around the handle with a piece of duct tape on the inside closing the circle.

Edited by isaiahsnana

Another vote for the plastic ones! We switched to these last year. Love how strong the little cable is and how tough the plastic is.