Getting scared about using the pools because of infants.

rogerwaters

I am not a big pool person anyway, but after reading a lot of these threads, it seems like there are a lot of parents with children under the age of 2 who are still planning on bringing their kids into the water. I know that un-potty trained infants are not allowed in pools, but from the sound of some of these parents, they seem to be willing to try to attempt to break these rules. Regardless if they are wearing swimmie diapers or they decided to let them go "without diapers", I know the risk of norovirus and other diseases through contamination is very likely if these parents refuse to obey the rules. I have never been on a cruise before, but in all reality, how closely are the pools even monitored? It's probably very easy for a parent to bring their un-potty trained kid in the pool without anyone saying a word. One quick dip in the pool by an infant in swimmie diapers can contaminate the water. Has anyone ever had issues with this? I really don't want to risk my health because a parent refused to follow rules that forbid their infant from using the pools.

Most ships have adult only pools and kid only pools. Granted sometimes you will see kids in the adult pool, but they are usually well past the potty training stage. I know that on the NCL Sky the adult pool was a uniform 7 feet deep, which seemed to keep the really little kids away. I believe the real noro risk comes from the other kids in the kids pool getting it and then spreading it from there.

Unless your immune system is somehow compromised, you'll be ok. Most of the time, the staff will tell folks about the rules, if they can't seem to read the signs, and you can bet that other guests will make the rules known...you'll be ok...just don't get your head (face) wet! You can't catch noro through the skin on your legs!!!!!

Unless your immune system is somehow compromised, you'll be ok. Most of the time, the staff will tell folks about the rules, if they can't seem to read the signs, and you can bet that other guests will make the rules known...you'll be ok...just don't get your head (face) wet! You can't catch noro through the skin on your legs!!!!!

So you think only people with compromised immune systems can get bacterial skin infections? Not to mention that everyone has cuts and breaks in their skin that will allow bacteria to invade deeper tissue. Geting Noro from contaminated pool water is probably the least of your worries.

Unless you are only worried about poo, I don't think you have to only worry about small children going pee in the water. I'm pretty sure many adults, drunk or not, many teens and potty trained children will pee in the pool

There will always be some amount of pee, snot and other bodily fluids in the pool. Gross but true. Its not just the small children that you have to worry about.

If its something that does worry you so bad then just lay out and take some sun.

I do know of some pools (mostly public pools) that put this sort of chemical that turns purple when someone pees Talk about being put on the spot. That must be a tad embarrassing

Iv gotten sick on my last two cruises, my immune system must not be that good ... and I didnt even swim. If you touch the rails and someone had a cold and touch your face, or touching whatever .. there are sick people on your cruise who are adults too.

Iv gotten sick on my last two cruises, my immune system must not be that good ... and I didnt even swim. If you touch the rails and someone had a cold and touch your face, or touching whatever .. there are sick people on your cruise who are adults too.

:eek:Sorry you just made me laugh out loud!! I work in a special ed school and I have been coughed on ,peed on, thrown up on and well basically if you can imagine it and it comes out of a childs body it's probably been on me at some time in the past 10 years. So far so good! I think It's built me up a pretty good resistance to the germ world. I'm not super woman yet ...but I'm working on it....:D

:eek:Sorry you just made me laugh out loud!! I work in a special ed school and I have been coughed on ,peed on, thrown up on and well basically if you can imagine it and it comes out of a childs body it's probably been on me at some time in the past 10 years. So far so good! I think It's built me up a pretty good resistance to the germ world. I'm not super woman yet ...but I'm working on it....:D

I work at a special ed Pre school and I think I do pretty good. Only 2 years but I get sick maybe 2 times at the start of the school year. Well this school year. A few more years and Im good. We get 12 paid sick days and I always have many left over where some other co workers end up using them all and then some!

Last year I got sick maybe 8 times. This year just 2

Even if there are inconsiderate parents I don't think that will happen....As a parent one of my main concerns is for my own child's safety, so if he had a dirty diaper I wouln't put him in the water so he won't get sick or get anyone else sick. Plus, the reality is you can get germs ANYWHERE. If your very concerned maybe being on a ship with thousands of people isn't the best idea for you

No, I am no germ freak by any means, I have just read far too many posts about parents talking about bringing their kids in the pool with swimmie diapers, even though they are supposed to be banned. I am well aware that I can get sick from a railing, door knob, etc.....but exposing myself to an infants fecal matter is creepy & gross. And my concerns arose from so many other posts in other threads where some parents just seem defiant and willing to risk the health of others simply to let their infant splash around in a pool.

They should make all parents sign a waiver when they board the ship stating they will not bring their unpotty trained kid into the pool, or risk being asked to leave the ship.

• 1 month later...

rogerwaters, do you get into a pool anywhere? It's not just cruise ship pools that are affected by this. Think about all of the kids who just don't wipe well. Or the adults for that matter. I just don't think about the human soup I'm swimming in. Otherwise, I would never get in. Do you swim in the ocean or lakes? Talk about fecal matter! I think I'm talking myself out of swimming ever again, lol.

You can't really compare salt water cruise pools that do not use chlorine with a public pool that does. That is the main reason untrained children are not allowed in the water on most cruise ships, but some parents just don't/won't get it!

They should make all parents sign a waiver when they board the ship stating they will not bring their unpotty trained kid into the pool, or risk being asked to leave the ship.

Maybe we should start recruiting them for chimney sweeping again.

Once you see mr hairy tubby guy from <fill in name of any region here> and all his glory wade in, babies will seem very clean and pure bodies to share some pool water with.

And don't shine any UV lights in the hot tub either.

But don't focus on all this. Look out the ocean and watch the blue water roll past the ship, it truly very calming and allows you to forget all what may ail you.

We were on one cruise where a 2 1/2 year old who the parents swore was potty trained left "major evidence" of her lack of training in the main pool. It was immediately spotted and all guests were quickly removed from the pool. The amazing maintenance crew spent 2 days cleaning, draining, scrubbing, sanitizing, polishing and refilling the pool so it was immaculate.

They had over 2 dozen crew working on it, and I was so impressed with their effort. There was no question that once it was refilled, it was the cleanest pool I have ever had the privilege of swimming in!

The whole family of that little girl found out the price of disobeying the pool usage rules. For the remaining 11 days of that extremely hot cruise, they were banned from the pool. They also had to deal with a very upset group of cruisers who felt animosity towards them because their fellow passengers were denied the use of the pool for that time due to their choice to disregard the rules. It just doesn't pay to push the envelope. The consequences can be quite harsh to have to deal with.

As far as avoiding a pool because you feel there may be the chance of catching an illness due to someone's "lack of control", (in my opinion) a cruise pool is probably cleaner than most other pools a person would swim in under everyday circumstances. They are usually well maintained by a very fastidious crew, and they can't afford to have them be a source of disease or infection as they need to be able to keep people healthy to keep them coming back for repeat cruises.

I have been to many public pools where there is debris, foam, algae, "floaties" and many other foreign objects in the pool that display a distinct lack of care and maintenance. In my experience on cruise ships, they keep them quite clean, and the chance of you contracting anything from the pools are much less than you getting sick from a different source.

I love to swim, and am willing to expose myself to the cruise ship pool and take my chances with it's contents as swimming is one of the most enjoyable parts of a cruise for me. As long as the crew is keeping it well maintained, I think I'm pretty safe. And as others have said, I've seen more hygiene issues from other adults than I have from kids in a pool. If I were to see a parent letting a baby who was in a swim diaper into the pool, I would then leave the pool and contact a crew member to have them removed. But unless I see actual physical evidence of someone having an accident in the pool, I'm going to continue to use them, and enjoy myself thoroughly.

Life is too short, and I only have limited opportunities to enjoy a pool, so you can be sure I am going to optimize my chances. When I'm on a cruise, be it Alaska, the Caribbean, the Med, or the Panama Canal, you can usually find me in the pool. And enjoying every minute of it! Oh jeez - I can't wait for March! I already have my bathing suits packed! :)

Unless you are only worried about poo, I don't think you have to only worry about small children going pee in the water. I'm pretty sure many adults, drunk or not, many teens and potty trained children will pee in the pool

There will always be some amount of pee, snot and other bodily fluids in the pool. Gross but true. Its not just the small children that you have to worry about.

If its something that does worry you so bad then just lay out and take some sun.

I do know of some pools (mostly public pools) that put this sort of chemical that turns purple when someone pees Talk about being put on the spot. That must be a tad embarrassing

You are so right about this peeing in the pool issue....

I would love some of the Chemical that turns purple! Wow that would be like the most embarrassing thing to have to explain......:rolleyes:

Just a note - There is a common misconception that the salt water pools are untreated. Yes, they use salt water, but it is still treated with an oxidizer (like chlorine, bromine, etc.) and is filtered. Read some of the CDC ship reports and you will see that one of the areas they check is the pool sanitizer levels, as well as the logs for measurements of the chemicals.

Also, the pools are not generally dumped and refilled every night.

Archived