A never to be repeated cruise

BosoxI

I too would like to know why you didn't like Alaska, did you get bored of the ship or the scenery - what excursions did you take? Help us understand your background why you didn't like it? Where are you from are you from the mtns and have seen waterfalls, snow, etc and are just bored - not being mean, just trying to help us understand :)

I doubt that we would want to repeat our Alaska cruise, although there was nothing wrong at all, and we finished it off with a short but agreeable land tour to the Princess lodges at Denali and McKinley, plus a day in Anchorage, all with lovely weather.

However prior to the cruise we had done a 6 day Rockies tour to Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper and after the magnificence of the Rockies scenary Alaska was in truth quite a bit of a let down.

Even a sunny day in College Fiord watching the glaciers calving failed to match the splendour of the Canadian Rockies.

I never say never again, but Western Caribbean has lost much of it's appeal to me. I've seen enough of Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Still, if there was a really good bargain on a cruise that went to Roatan for some good diving, I'd go. It probably wouldn't be at the top of my priority list, though.

I would not want to do the Western Caribbean again. Did not care for Cozumel........the venors gang up on you in groups. Very annoying. We had to tender to Grand Cayman.....and the tender lines were very long on a very hot day. I skipped Belize as the ship was anchored far out....and it was very hot....not fun having long tender rides in the heat. Hubby went....walked around and came back. Roaton was nothing special either. We went the week of our Anniversary in late March.....big mistake. Spring Break......the kids literally took over the pool area. We had a table by the pool at night.....they just pushed in.....and climbed on top of the tables. We now sail earlier in March......or for cruises longer than 7

days. :) This was not on a Princess cruise.

We're going back to Alaska next month. Our other cruise to there was seven years ago. We wanted to have more time to do some touring on land, but things did not work out. So we're just going back to the same three ports we were at before: Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

The western Caribbean itineraries are not our favorites. We've taken four cruises there--in 1989, 2003, 2008, and this spring. One of the reasons we waited so many years between our first and second cruises to the western Caribbean was that we did not care to go back to Jamaica. None of the other three western Caribbean cruises we've taken have gone there.

One I wouldn't repeat is the Black Sea. I'd consider a riverboat trip to The Crimea, but that's it.

I've been all over the Caribbean and done the Mexican Riviera -- both many times, and would (and will) do them again. Unless there's something new or different to do (such as our river tubing excursion in Costa Rica last April), I don't get off the ship and think of the cruise as all sea days.

Jamaica is a port, not a cruise. Any cruise without a stop in Jamaica is OK with us. As a matter of fact any and all cruises taken so far (20+) would be repeated without hesitation providing of course we are not discussing the individual ships. As to Alaska and as eastern Canadians who dread winter and sail away from it each year, the sight of snow/ice covered anything will forever be a no-no. Antarctic included

Not an itinerary but a cruise situation we would never do again. Several years ago we did a 2 day "cruise to nowhere." This was a last minute itinerary due to several dry dock issues. We did it because, it was out of our home port and I knew I would whine all week end if we passed it up. There were many things on the ship that were really not ready for passengers. It was also very easy for the cruise line to use the last minute thing as an excuse.

Also, wouldn't sail a cruise either just before, or just after a dry dock.

Chuck

We did the western Caribbean because we got blown there by a hurricane. :eek:

We were not impressed and would not go back. Grand Cayman was nice but Jamaica even in 1989 was not a place I'd care to go back to.

Can't think of any cruise that I wouldn't do again - as long as I on board ship, I am happy to go where it goes. I just don't have to get off in certain ports that are not my favorite - i.e.; Jamaica. We love the sun and warm weather, so Caribbean, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Mexico - they all work for us. As for Mexico - we love Cabo and Huatulco, other than that we enjoy staying on board and having a lot of space and quiet time, to hang out at the Spa or by the pools or just take a nap on our balcony.

Been to Alaska and the Carribean twice. Caribbean was our first cruises back in the early 90's. Even though it's been awhile, we probably won't be going back anytime soon. All the ports seem the same with the same Diamond International stores in each one. Noted the same in Alaska. While Alaska is beautiful, twice is enough for now. Europe and a lot of sea days are my thing right now. Med - T/A's are my fix right now. Going to be doing #3 next year.....:):):)

Bob

OK, enough about all the wonderful cruises we've taken. Is there a cruise you would not repeat. I don't mean because the ship stank, but because of the places visited. I will not return to Alaska, once is enough. I enjoyed the trip while it lasted but I see no reason to go back.

I agree 100%.We went to Alaska last year and never saw the sun but got rained on everyday.Give me warm and sunny!

Cruising is about the ship experience. A few hours in a port just breaks up the day a little.

If you really want to see Alaska (or anywhere else), you need to travel there with a rental car, hiking boots, etc. etc..

Just returned from Alaska. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise but our best day was in Glacier Bay, which isn't a port. We will definately go back to Alaska again as we thought it was a truly amazing place...but probably because of our inland experience. The cruise ports were nice and our excursions were (except for one) were enjoyable but our experiences along the coast of southwest Alaska and at Denali National Park were superior. If we return with our daughter one day, we will rent a car and travel as much as we can by road (and maybe fly in to Glacier Bay). A cruise is a cost effective way to wet your appetite for Alaska but we don't see it as the "best" way to experience Alaska. There is so much to see inland and along the "other" coastline.

We've been to the Carribbean several times and agree that maybe we are in that "been there, done that" crowd. We took a Disney Cruise last year and decided that if we want to cruise for "fun in the sun," that was a great way to go if you have kids! The boat was wonderful and Castaway Cay is great! I don't see us cruising to the Carribbean again anytime soon...eastern, western, or southern.

Alaska was my first cruise ever and we had a balcony, the weather was perfect, the fjords were AMAZING. However, I wouldn't bother getting off for any of the Alaska ports again, Victoria B.C. absolutely, just not Alaskan ports. All very touristy.

The Alaskan cruise we just did was great but I don't think we will be heading out there again on a cruise ship. I can drive to Skagway in about 26 hours from my house (have done it many times) and stay there for a week or two and explore to my heart's desire. No, when we go cruising, we like to visit new places and/or hot sunny beaches with blue/green waters and palm trees. :D

There have been a couple of ports that I wouldn't care to go back to, Jamaica being one. That being said we pick cruises that have an itinerary that we haven't done yet. There's just to much of the world out there that we haven't been to yet to start duplicating trips.

Regarding Belize- one of our top 5 favorite excursions took place there, and I would return in a heartbeat to do it again...cave tubing (not through Princess). We saw scenery that was calendar picture-perfect, ate termites (taste like mint) and jumped off 15 foot cliffs into the river. If any of that sounds dangerous, it all paled in comparison to the hour long drive to get to the input site. I think Belize has the wildest drivers in the world.

I love Cozumel as a week long dive vacation, staying at an all-inclusive. I'm just not all that fond of it as a cruise port. The beauty is under the water, and off the southwestern end of the island. It's tough to get down there for dives when you come in on a cruise ship...they tend to want to take you to the closer, less spectacular reefs.

I found Mahagony Bay on Roatan to be a bit Disney-esque, but perfect for a slow beach day. The chairlift is just plain silly, though.

And I have nothing good to say about Jamaica. That's why the Princess itinerary on the Crown is so good...it doesn't stop there, and most other cruise lines still do.

OK, enough about all the wonderful cruises we've taken. Is there a cruise you would not repeat. I don't mean because the ship stank, but because of the places visited. I will not return to Alaska, once is enough. I enjoyed the trip while it lasted but I see no reason to go back.

We haven't found a cruise that we not repeat . We love Alaska , therefore we

could may times and not see the same things twice the same way.:cool:

A couple of places I would rather not go back to would be Mazatlan in Mexico, Jamaica, and Haiti. I went to Haiti many years ago, and it was one of the most depressing places I'd ever been. I don't know if it's any better now, but I suspect the earthquake has made matters worse :(.

We wouldn't repeat the Baltics. It was our nightmare cruise. It was the most expensive cruise we've taken and the most disappointing. Fate put problems specific to us at every turn. St. Petersburg was a highlight though. I'm glad we visited there but wouldn't go back.

Archived