Does suggested tipping Per Guest Include Children?

I have searched for this answer and couldn't find it. Do most people tip the suggested amount for their young children as well? I was going to tip the AO staff, but if we tip what RCI recommends, we're looking at over $450 in tips.:eek: Does it not make sense to tip for the cabin? I mean is truly twice as much work to clean and service our cabin if there are 2 adults vs. 2 adults and 2 young children.

I don't want to deprive anyone of their tips, but I'm having a hard time with this.

When we went with our Kids and grand kids my daughter and her husband tipped extra because they has a bed wetter and 3 kids were in one cabin. I think if there are not situations like that then for every easy stateroom they have there are going to be staterooms that are not as easy. I would tip normally unless they go well beyond your expectations. Per person is fair not per cabin.

By the way, to answer some of your questions, yes there is additional work involved any time there are 3rd/4th persons in a cabin. There are extra beds to be made, and with many cabins that involves setting up and later breaking down a convertible sofa/bed. Some tasks are the same, regardless of the number of people in the room, others are not. So, sure you could argue that it doesn't really double the work of the cabin steward, but it does increase it somewhat.

I hope you can get past your apparent feelings about the "rightness" of this and just go with it and enjoy your cruise. You are not forced to tip that much (unless, of course, you're signed up for MTD), but it all figures in to how many cabins a steward is assigned, etc.

Remember that some of your tips go to the kitchen staff and dining servers as well. If your children are eating and leaving dirty plates in the morning or ordering off the menu in the dining room in the evenings, those people are earning tips as well.

By the way, to answer some of your questions, yes there is additional work involved any time there are 3rd/4th persons in a cabin. There are extra beds to be made, and with many cabins that involves setting up and later breaking down a convertible sofa/bed. Some tasks are the same, regardless of the number of people in the room, others are not. So, sure you could argue that it doesn't really double the work of the cabin steward, but it does increase it somewhat.

I hope you can get past your apparent feelings about the "rightness" of this and just go with it and enjoy your cruise. You are not forced to tip that much (unless, of course, you're signed up for MTD), but it all figures in to how many cabins a steward is assigned, etc.

Very well stated, and I agree completely. The tips are really just part of the cost of a cruise, and well deserved by the staff.

we are going with our DD age 5 (at the time of the cruise) this will be her 2nd cruise. it never dawned on my NOT to tip the staff the same/if not more for her. she can sometimes leave quite a mess at the table, her bed has to be made. 9/10 room service is for her - staff cutting her meat, getting her "red sauce" :rolleyes: etc.

a babe in arms, maybe.. but a child yes, I always tip.

I have searched for this answer and couldn't find it. Do most people tip the suggested amount for their young children as well? I was going to tip the AO staff, but if we tip what RCI recommends, we're looking at over $450 in tips.:eek: Does it not make sense to tip for the cabin? I mean is truly twice as much work to clean and service our cabin if there are 2 adults vs. 2 adults and 2 young children.

I don't want to deprive anyone of their tips, but I'm having a hard time with this.

Of course there is extra work with more pax in a cabin. Don't you have extra work, at home, with 4 people in your family vs just you and your spouse?

When we cruised with our children we always tipped extra..even if we tried to keep our cabin neat there was always extra work..cookie crumbs..an "accident" in the bed...toys to be put away..etc.

Tips are part of the cost of cruising.

If one were to go on this theory, then you would have to ask is it really twice as much work to clean and service the cabin if there are 2 adults vs. 1 adult. So why not just tip for one adult per cabin? ;)

If one were to go on this theory, then you would have to ask is it really twice as much work to clean and service the cabin if there are 2 adults vs. 1 adult. So why not just tip for one adult per cabin? ;)

btw our tips will be 409 without any extra tipping. i would guess we will end up closer to $500.

We have always tipped the recommended amount for our kids. We are a family of 5 and I completely understand your concern! It certainly does add up.

For the last cruise, I put aside five envelopes months beforehand. I would periodically slip a few dollars in the envelopes when I thought about it. Plus, I started saving spare change to add to my "tip" envelopes. By the time we left, I had enough to cover tips for the 5 of us.

I prefer to pay for as much as possible up front so we are not faced with a large bill at the end.

How long of a cruise are you on, that tips would be $450 for 4? On a 7 nighter, it should run approx.$280, unless you're in a suite...then it would still be under $300.

And think about it...if you were in a restaurant, you'd pay a percentage of the cost of the meal...which would include the kid's costs, too...on a ship, there's no specific cost to the meals, so they recommend what is truly a "fair" amount.

As for your room attendant, they are only getting $3.50 pp per day of the $9.75 daily suggested tips...the rest is going to your waitstaff in the dining room.

The breakdown is: $3.50 pp pd for attendant

$3.50 pp pd for waiter

$2.00 pp pd for asst. waiter

$.75 pp pd for head waiter

That's how the $9.75 per person per day breaks down.

How long of a cruise are you on, that tips would be $450 for 4? On a 7 nighter, it should run approx.$280, unless you're in a suite...then it would still be under $300.

I wondered that, too. The $450+ must be for something like a 12-night cruise. BTW, your calculation for 4 people, 7 nights in a suite is a bit off. Isn't that like $12pp/day for a suite? If so, it adds up to $336.

I wondered that, too. The $450+ must be for something like a 12-night cruise. BTW, your calculation for 4 people, 7 nights in a suite is a bit off. Isn't that like $12pp/day for a suite? If so, it adds up to $336.

I am also intrigued by the fact that those who complain about the amount of tip they are asked to pay, always offer the aggregate amount and frequently fail to mention how many people they are talking about and never mention how it compares to the total cost of their cruisefare.

The really good news is that you all helped me realize that my math was way off, I was adding the Suite attendent charge of $5.75 per person per day on top of the stateroom attendent charge. What can I say I'm a novice:o

So the weeks tips are only going to be $273 plus the AO staff and incidentals. I'm feeling better all ready.

Wow, that's something for me to think about. We're cruising with our kids this time and they're bringing along a friend each. I think we'll let our kids cover their own tips since they'll be in their own cabins. After all, one will be 19 and the other 22 come cruise time. Would I be right in doing it that way?

Wow, that's something for me to think about. We're cruising with our kids this time and they're bringing along a friend each. I think we'll let our kids cover their own tips since they'll be in their own cabins. After all, one will be 19 and the other 22 come cruise time. Would I be right in doing it that way?

Sounds quite reasonable to me - but just insure that they actually do it. If they run "short" toward the end of the cruise, guess who will get stiffed.

Well it's up to you .... But some things to think about ....

Are you paying for their cruise? I always consider the tip part of the cruise fare, so *I* would lump them together.

You can let them pay for their on board expenses (drinks,etc) and excursions, if you wish.... but make sure you make it clear to them what it is you expect them to pay for...

If you said "Hey guys we are going to take you on a cruise" with no further clarification, they might just think you will pick up the whole tab!

Aloha,

John

For a 7 night cruise your tips for 4 ppl would be $273, not $450, with tips being $9.75 per person/per day. If it's for a longer cruise, just multiply the amount of days times $39 (4 people per day).

I have no idea why people think they need to tip the AO staff, the people working in there are salaried employees.

We've taken our kids on more than 10 cruises and never considered not tipping the people who work for tips.

I have always made my daughter pay some of her cruise as young as 11. She would have to do chores, babysit,etc. She would pay for her coke card and any money she spent on the ship. I always thought it would make her aware of money management.

I have no idea why people think they need to tip the AO staff, the people working in there are salaried employees.

Really??:confused: Now,I dont have young kids,but if I did,I would think one should tip.....just like the person who cuts my hair,does my nails,even the dog groomer.......they are all salaried and I give them tips......

we are going with our DD age 5 (at the time of the cruise) this will be her 2nd cruise. it never dawned on my NOT to tip the staff the same/if not more for her. she can sometimes leave quite a mess at the table, her bed has to be made. 9/10 room service is for her - staff cutting her meat, getting her "red sauce" :rolleyes: etc.

a babe in arms, maybe.. but a child yes, I always tip.

Oh my, Sweet J.... !!! you are the greatest. And i bet you are also one to teach you child not to throw crackers on the floor, etc, etc. If there were only more like you. Thanks for being so considerate and proper.

Tips are "per person, per day". Always has been on every cruise line we've ever sailed on. Agreeing with other posters, the cabin steward and other staff are cleaning up after your children as well, serving them, and making sure their experience is wonderful. All of the crew works very hard for each passenger, no matter how old the passenger is.

is i feel it has reduced the level of service as they know they will get the tip regardless of the service they provide. Also is it per day or per night. For example a Saturday to Saturday cruise will you get charged 8 X $9.75 or 7 X $9.75?

Archived