Lobster on RCCL?

We haven't cruised RCCL in years, but the last time we cruised was on the Enchantment of The Sea out of Ft. Lauderdale. They never had lobster the whole cruise. Dose RCCL serve Lobster now?
How long was the cruise? They didn't, and still don't, have lobster on a lot of the shorter cruises.

How long was the cruise? They didn't, and still don't, have lobster on a lot of the shorter cruises.

It was a 6 day cruise.

The reason I ask is because we are thinking of taking another RCL cruise and would really love some lobster on this cruise.

I am not sure what that critter is but RCI has never served what we in New England call lobster.

No, it is not a Maine lobster, but a lobster tail. If I were to guess, maybe African tail? It was ok. My H ate two of them. It is definitely not what you get in New England.:(

Please do yourself a favor and go out to a nice up scale seafood restaurant before you go on your cruise. Why you might ask? Well, the lobster served in the MDR is very much below average. Try the shrimp they're closer to the same quality you would get in an average place..

Hope Your's is Better

Earl

I am not sure what that critter is but RCI has never served what we in New England call lobster.

No, it is not a Maine lobster, but a lobster tail. If I were to guess, maybe African tail? It was ok. My H ate two of them. It is definitely not what you get in New England.:(

It's Florida Spiny Lobster. They are abundant in Florida and the Bahamas. I've got about a dozen of them in my seawall I plan on slaying come the opening of the season this weekend.

You are correct. They are a far cry from Maine Lobster. Spiny lobster have no claws. You just eat the tail.

You're not going to get good fresh lobster on board, so I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the lobster. If you want lobster, go to a good restaurant in port, and order it. Fresh lobster should be eaten the same day it's caught. Lobster is generally on the 2nd formal night....definitely not fresh out of the ocean.

You're not going to get good fresh lobster on board, so I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the lobster. If you want lobster, go to a good restaurant in port, and order it. Fresh lobster should be eaten the same day it's caught. Lobster is generally on the 2nd formal night....definitely not fresh out of the ocean.

Exactly...........The HUGE cost and impracticability of keeping 3000+ live lobsters on board keep cruiselines from serving Maine lobster.

Even though they were small I enjoyed my "lobster" on board Carnival. I have not yet been on a long enough RC cruise to try theirs.

I do know what to expect though.

We haven't cruised RCCL in years, but the last time we cruised was on the Enchantment of The Sea out of Ft. Lauderdale. They never had lobster the whole cruise. Dose RCCL serve Lobster now?

Just came back from 12 nights on the Brillance of the Sea and did not get served lobster. That's fine with me. I from New England...:cool:

Just got back from a 12 night Med cruise and was not served lobster. :cool:

Agreed, dont go for the lobster! Go out to a nice restaurant for some, before you sail away! Lol

I don't know of ANY cruise I would choose for the lobster, or any specific food. I swore off lobster on cruise ships when lots of people got sick from, well, pathetic-looking lobsters, served on a non-RCCL cruise we were on. Lobster has an image as a fancy food and some people expect it on cruises, but since cruise ship food is bought in bulk and is not necessaily locally-caught or even remotely fresh (i.e., frozen or otherwise stored for the long trip), you won't get the same quality as you wouldin a good restaurant. Cruise ships have lowered prices and you just can't expect 5-star dining. When we were on a Princess cruise around the tip of South America, passing areas known for king crab and great lamb, we had lamb from New Zealand and crab from Alaska. That's bulk purchasing these days.

One more thing when I said try the shrimp I meant the shrimp cocktail not the cooked shrimp. The cooked shrimp is also below average.

Enjoy

Earl

I hope they have not gone to a RAW shrimp cocktail....:rolleyes::D(just kidding, I knew what you meant:rolleyes:)

For many, (my DW included) the fisherman's platter is way to garlicky... I like garlic so don't mind as much. but we have ordered it without the garlic sauce 9they put it on both the shrimp and lobster.

Ships with Portofino specialty restaurant have a great option with "lobster" (same type as MDR) on the Seafood Skewer (along with scallops, shrimp and fish). That lobster seemed to be better than the MDR - probably due to less time sitting around after preparation. Still definitely not like Maine lobster.

Our 12-might TA on Brilliance had lobster one night but that may have changed since moving to the Med.

Having eaten so many lobster all my life, self caught, self cooked, self preserved(frozen) self cleaned, my experience with lobster in all but the best restaurants is avoid at all cost. We were on a Costa cruise, never saw lobster on a RC cruise, and everyone was raving about it, so I tried it actually 2 sent the first back and almost threw up. I could tell you why but no details , but the funny thing was that everyone except my wife and friends were eatling it and enjoying it or so they looked.

Having said that I might try it again if offered, but, but, but, well I might get fooled.

Archived