Barcelona pickpockets

vincent16

I have frequently gotten 500e at a time from an ATM(bancomat) in Italy Spain should be even easier as it is more into computers than Italy.

You need to ask your bank to raise your withdrawal limit and then instead of taking one of the amounts written (like 100e,250e etc.) you pick OTHER AMOUNT and type in 500.

Then each person(husband/wife) can withdraw that amount.

You cannot assume that tours will accept paypal. NOT everyone in the world works that way!! Some people still prefer cash!

"You cannot assume that tours will accept paypal. NOT everyone in the world works that way!! Some people still prefer cash!"

Of course most businesses prefer cash but more enlightened ones explore other options. Vendor (or individual) does not have to accept Paypal; just have an account. It's a service (similar to Western Union but much cheaper) where sender pays to send money not the other way around. Fees are less than ATM. For example to send 300 euros to Spain from US bank account costs 1.5 euros; 2.50 - for 500.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/general/International_Money_Transfer-outside

First - what are you wearing that is going to make you be the "only obvious tourists on the street"? That's the first thing you should think about. It's not so much "blending in" with the locals as it is not standing out.

That is the biggest thing I've noticed in my travels. I don't necessarily dress like a local, but I wear what I normally wear. No travel blends, no shorts and Tshirts, no fanny pack/bumbag, things like that. You are in a major European city, not Disneyland. I truly believe that this keeps the pickpockets away from me and targeted on folks who announce they are tourists by their clothes and behavior. Be confident when you walk around and look like you know where you are going, even if you don't...

So funny...when my DH and I were in Paris, we were always approached as the tourist that we were....but we never could figure out how they knew we were Americans....we didn't wear anything "American"...I even got a scarf and wore it like the French do...LOL.....we just figured maybe it was our shoes and that we are slightly chunky! LOL

Could not have put it better Keith, it is all about common sense. So many folks seem to think common sense/street smarts does not apply when on vacation and do things that they would never dream of doing at home

Peter

People are so silly...they set themselves up to be victims....

How many times have I been in the supermarket and people have their purses sitting in the seat of the shopping cart, and then walk away to look at stuff. Whenever, I see that, I say something to them about being careful...and then sometimes I get a dirty look...oh well I try!

I have heard many times that a man should wrap several rubber bands around his wallet, making it tougher to remove from a pants pocket. Several of the security guards at my office do this routinely. Is this helpful?

I have heard many times that a man should wrap several rubber bands around his wallet, making it tougher to remove from a pants pocket. Several of the security guards at my office do this routinely. Is this helpful?

I prefer when in a port like Barcelona carrying a travel wallet that goes under my shirt. I think this if far safer than carrying a traditional wallet where someone can easily pickpocked you without one knowing.

Keith

A razor blade is the Pickpockets best friend. Do yourself a favor and get a good money belt or packsafe producs. http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php The pickpockets in Europe are pros, after all they do this for a living!:eek: Please do not underestimate them!!

I just came home from the mall in suburban New Jersey. I was in a major department store and heard a woman yell "stop her - she stole my purse!" She was indeed stopped by a good samaritan.

Moral of the story - it can happen anywhere. You just can't be distracted and must keep your wits about you at all times!

MEN, you should really not carry a whole wallet when traveling. You do not need most of the stuff that is in it and it certainly is easy to "pick" from any pocket.

Take some money for that one day and one credit/debit card and that is all. I use a travel wallet under clothing but there are many ways to secure money.

So funny...when my DH and I were in Paris, we were always approached as the tourist that we were....but we never could figure out how they knew we were Americans....we didn't wear anything "American"...I even got a scarf and wore it like the French do...LOL.....we just figured maybe it was our shoes and that we are slightly chunky! LOL

These street criminals are profilers of the first order. They may not have the tools that the FBI has, but they are keen observers of human behavior. To one who knows what to look for, the way you stand and walk, facial expressions, hand gestures, etc. all add up one way for Americans, another way for Brits, etc. They can tell.

Had to laugh at that last post. Americans can wear European clothes and styles, but they still look like Americans. It's in their walk, the attitude on their faces, and how they wear the clothes. DW and I have spent hours sitting in outdoor cafes in Paris and Rome (love the Piazza Navona for this purpose) just sipping wine and people watching. We play a game called, "lets pick-out all the Americans and Brits." We will not even discuss the Japanese which are the only folks that can wear an orange checkered shirt with a plaid green skirt and think they look normal! As to the Brits, we fondly recall one very hot day in Rome when a group of "wrinkly" English ladies walked by wearing heavy long wool skirts and hiking shoes! That day made us realize the we Americans are not so bad with dress. Just look around Europe and you will see everyone wearing Jeans...and it was not so long ago we would see folks here telling us to never wear Jeans in Europe.

Hank

I do agree that the profiling is part clothes, part behavior. The clothes can eliminate some immediately, then the behavior will eliminate others.

Maybe part of my "success" is that I travel solo 80% of the time. I always try to look like I'm going somewhere with a purpose. I get lost, oh well, I found someplace new. I don't mind.

In Paris this past spring, I had a guy run into me with his kid in tow. He mumbled "tourist" at me, I said "cochon" right back at him. He gave me this "oops, I'm sorry" look back.

I get rather amused by they 'dress like a local" advise-you can dress to blend in all you want-but-if you are going to rely on that to keep people from knowing you are from North America-never ever open your mouth. North Americans speak a very distinct form of English-and-unless you are very very very talented and have years and years of practice-even if you speak the local language "like a Native" when you open your mouth-even to say "gracias, grazie, danke,ipharisto" you also say-im an American.

I've been living in BCN for almost 7 years and I've seen locals and tourists alike get robbed/pick pocketed. However, please don't think that this city is dangerous! I've never felt safer in my life and I've lived all over the world.

Us Americans are easy targets for a few reasons: we smile and talk a lot (Europeans aren't so happy all the time), we wear baseball hats, we have fancy iphones which we like to put on the table in case somebody calls (nobody is going to call in Europe so leave it on the ship), we are very curious and friendly with everyone and therefore engage in conversation when somebody starts in with us.

Locals in Barcelona will not ever help you with a map if you are lost, tell you if you have poop on your shirt, or if there is a hole in front of you in the ground where you are walking (They are VERY reserved people) so don't trust anyone who just walks up to you in the street. Even us expats have sadly adopted a little standoffishness.

Don't leave your camera, phone, bag, etc. on a table anywhere. Don't put your purse anywhere but in your lap when you are in a restaurant (I find myself doing this at home in Florida now when I visit and people think I'm crazy). Hold all your possessions close to you if you take a bus or metro.

BTW.

It's impossible to stereotype what the thieves look like, as the really good ones look just like you, me, and George Clooney. BUT, you can easily spot the basic ones. Romanian gypsies walking around in groups with babies, long skirts, and sandals usually asking for signatures, offering help on a map, selling roses, or straight out begging. Moroccan young boys who will flash a newspaper in front of your face while robbing whatever is on your table. Moroccan boys who cry and act crazy to get your attention.

With all that I've said, please don't be scared to be here! Just be aware and have some common sense at all times. And, if in doubt, search out a a native English speaker from Ireland, UK, America, Aussie in one of the pubs around the Ramblas. They can give you straight up, non biased help from a local that the other workers around that zone won't. The police definitely won't help and don't speak English usually, so don't trust them.

One more tip: This city does not have the same standards of customer service as anything you will find in the states or onboard so don't expect too much in that regard. Maybe a trip into town will make you appreciate your service on board even more and you will end up tipping like crazy:)

Hope that helps!

Great first post on CC and thank you. Please contribute more.

We loved our two days in Barcelona and felt safe. But I felt extra safe with the travel wallet inside my shirt. ;) I will say that many of the hotels and some of the restaurants have staff who will help you out. But not all of the local restaurants have employees who speak english. For better or worse, that somewhat restricts us to the more "tourist" types of restaurants. But we actually like the fact that places like 4Cats make americans and other english speakers feel at home.

These street criminals are profilers of the first order. They may not have the tools that the FBI has, but they are keen observers of human behavior. To one who knows what to look for, the way you stand and walk, facial expressions, hand gestures, etc. all add up one way for Americans, another way for Brits, etc. They can tell.

I have traveled to 36 countries, and lived overseas twice (Saudi Arabia and Germany). I can generally tell what country a person comes from. The clothes can be a give away, especially the shoes. However, the haircut for men is a good measure. Americans don't generally get some of the odd haircuts of especially Germans. Brits generally dress in rather plain clothes, while French and Italians try to dress up more. Sometimes it is hard to tell a Scandanavian from a German, or a Spainard from a Latin American.

Also, you find more overweight Americans, except that Europeans are catching up on that.

Further, Europeans, especially Germans tend to be more rude in public. I loved Germany, and Germans are great people once you get to know them, but they are generally very rude in public.

Mediterraneans walk slower, and never seem to be in a hurry. Americans are frequently moving faster than they need to be. I am guilty of that as well.

I have never visited a country where I disliked the people, it is just there are differences. In southern Europe, banks, trains, restaurants, most everything involving service takes longer than in northern Europe. I remember taking an hour to cash travellers checks in Madrid several years ago. It would take 5 minutes in Germany.

Still, I do love the Med, with its great food, historical sites, and lovely people.

Yes, pickpockets are worse in Italy, France and Spain. Let's face it in Germany the Police are efficient.

I had no problems in Barcelona with pickpocketing- I really think its not that bad if you are careful in the touristy places. I simply was street smart and I felt really safe as there isnt crime with guns etc there. If someone wants my 10 euros (I didnt carry alot just in case) they can have it, but at least theres no gun involved! (-:

Relax and enjoy Barcelona! Its fun and gorgeous!

Archived