Barcelona pickpockets

vincent16

Bethanie hi I was laughing so hard when you said average pickpocketsm my g/f worked at 110 in queens I was in uc. We were impressed with pickpockets in Europe they could teach bronx brooklyn et all a thing or 2. Don't walk with your suitcases call a cab peace of mind is priceless!

One of my concerns is arriving in Barcelona on a morning flight and not being able to check-in until 3pm. I know hotels will keep your things but you don't want to leave your passport and other valuables there. We will want to start site seeing and will be forced to bring passports, laptops etc. This is where you use the money belt, I guess?

One of my concerns is arriving in Barcelona on a morning flight and not being able to check-in until 3pm. I know hotels will keep your things but you don't want to leave your passport and other valuables there. We will want to start site seeing and will be forced to bring passports, laptops etc. This is where you use the money belt, I guess?

You may be able to check in if your room is ready.

We have been in a similar situation and I will tell you we will just wait for the room. We will not start touring. Keep in mind that hotels have safes behind the reception desk that are even better than your the safe in your room. But if you have other things such as a computer you need to think this through.

I will warn you that if you have been traveling on a long haul flight that you will likely be jet lagged and not 100% focused. Between that and carrying valuables with you, the odds increase that something that you do not desire will happen. If it was me, I would wait for the room or see if I could pay more for the convenience.

Keith

Great advice all the way around. We have traveled to Barcelona several times and have traveled in Europe a good bit. As many have pointed out, Barcelona's pick pockets do not use weapons or force...I know, little comfort when you are missing your cash but important to remember. Bottom line...travel light. I have never felt 'at risk' with a rolling suitcase enroute to my hotel or cruise ship. It's more when you are in the midst of a big crowd or in a restaurant or line. The scams we have seen or 2nd hand heard of recently:

- the gold ring- gypsy looking lady finds a gold ring a few steps behind or in front of you and stops you to ask if it is yours. Do not stop. It's a scam.

- someone appears to vomit on your backpack, bird poops on your shoulder, or any kind of human or animal fluids...Do not stop. It's a scam.

- someone asks you to hold their baby. Do not stop....scam.

- taking pictures of others...make sure you are alert and others in your party are holding valuables/ watching while you take pictures. Not necessarily a scam but can be.

- anyone that appears lost in front a major attraction. Especially when they look as if they could be native to the country you are visiting. Major attractions are always on maps. We witnessed a Spanish couple pretending to look at a map while casing the HOHO bus line at La Sagrada. The HOHO bus guy alerted everyone to the couple who did not bat any eye but sat there. Scam!

- public demonstrations or any area that becomes overly crowded. I had an expensive wallet (with little cash) stolen during a demonstration in London. My purse was across my body, buttoned, large wallet fit almost snug sideways in the purse so not easy to lift, and never felt or saw a thing! My husband was directly next to me with his arm around me or holding my hand the entire time, and he saw nothing. Watch crowds...they are not your friend.

- on our recent trip, we spent a day in Amsterdam. May have been a coincidence as we tend to be very careful when traveling (especially with kids since we get distracted easily). We noticed a guy who seemed to be following us from the train station. We stopped a few blocks later and turend around. The guy turned down a major street in the opposite direction we were headed. 15 minutes later, he was behind us again. We turned around and so did he. Probably a coincidence. However, we decided to abort the Anne Frank Museum and head back to the train station. My point is...don't be crazy paranoid (although we probably were) but take notice of where you are going and those around you.

Travel light no matter how you keep your stash 'o goodies. If it isn't on you, it can't be stolen. And I still feel safer in Europe than in many major US cities.

Just returned from my first trip to Europe. I have to admit I was VERY concerned because of all of the posts on pickpockets and because we would be traveling in the summer. Seems like when it is hot it is a little more difficult to conceal valuables.

We started in Barcelona and DID take the aerobus to our hotel. 2 things made this a bit more safe for us. First our hotel was close to the Pl Catalunya and Universitat stops--5 minutes--so not a lot of time walking and wheeling. Second, we chose to not get off at the busier Pl Catalunya to avoid the more touristy area. It also helped that we were traveling at about 10am--just didn't see as many people as later in the day.

All through europe I did take a money belt for cards and larger amounts of money(and passports if not able to be put in a safe somewhere).I wore a small crossbody purse that I made sure I kept track of. If I sat down--no need to take off--it just sat in my lap.

I really was worried before I left but once overseas felt like I was well prepared. We had discussed how to act in crowded situations and how to watch out for one another. We all knew how to act on a bus or train. Yes, even with all of the best precautions something can happen and you can be a victim, but I felt better being aware and being prepared.

No one in our group was pickpocketed but someone at our dinner table was. A "seasoned" traveler got on a bus and let her purse sit on the seat right beside her....well I would never have let my purse be anywhere but my lap. The "seasoned" traveler was soon out $200. She was probably lucky that there were no cards etc in the purse.

If you start a few months before your trip traveling in your city or town like you will in the big cities of the world, it will become a more natural to you and take some of the worry out.

Good luck and safe travels.

Agree with Keith about securing your valuables before touring.

Squekieca, we are in a siminlar situation arriving BCN early morning in November. I noted our hotel Gen Mgr is one of the few who responds to every Trip Advisor comment made about our hotel and the other hotel he supervises as GM. Therefore early this year, I emailed the Gen Mgr of our hotel explaining our situation (desiring to take a private half day BCN tour on arrival but absolutely needing to secure our valuables in the hotel safe or preferably in our room safe if it would be possible to check in early. He wrote back prompty and said they will do their best to have our room ready by 9 a.m. (at no extra cost) if not we can use the hotel safe. You may want to write/email the hotel and ask for if they can arrange to have your room ready early.

I have a Coach "swingpack" purse that is very small and is worn across the body. I have my hand on it at all times and it sits on my lap when I sit to eat or ride.

Another tip I can share is a big safety pin (almost as big as a Diaper pin) or a shoe string. With either one you can close the purse and run them through the hole on the zipper pull. Then tie or pin them to the nearby ring of the purse. More trouble for you when you go to pay, but MUCH more trouble for thieves to slip a hand into your purse.

Even PacSafe purses are not immune and I do the same to that one. A friend had someone get her wallet out of her PacSafe and she had a sweater pushed in on top of it. The harder it is to get into the purse the better for YOU.

First - what are you wearing that is going to make you be the "only obvious tourists on the street"? That's the first thing you should think about. It's not so much "blending in" with the locals as it is not standing out.

it's not so much what I would be wearing but rather rolling a suitcase the several blocks from the aerobus to our hotel seems like it would attract those who want to take advantage of tourists! And if we are the only ones one the street I would be a little concerned. I don't generally carry a purse or much money when i travel, but i have just heard so much about the issue in Barcelona. So, we will most likely take a cab from the airport to our hotel, and then to the ship, making rolling that suitcase along a non issue! My DH is from NYC so he will be well prepared for the average pickpocket.

Beverly

Please don't go down alleyways with luggage. We met an elderly couple on the Voyager who had done this and they were surrounded by a gang who took EVERYTHING. They were left with the clothes they were wearing. It was so distressing for them. I also have had my handbag stolen in BCN right from under my nose. These people are very, very clever. When we went to the police station we had to stand in a long, long line to file a report. We have been back since then and will be there this Nov. Will carry nothing of value. Enough euros for immediate needs, no purse, no wallet, no fancy jewellry. That is the only foolproof way. You might lose some cash but thatis nothing compared to the trauma I went through. We are very careful always but that time not careful enough. Had just disembarked and were too early to check into our hotel, went for a coffee and it turned out to be the most expensive coffee ever.

This will not work for everyone, at every hotel, but Google Earth and Google Maps sometimes have a street view of the area around your hotel. If you can see what things look like from street level, you may be able to find your way around without looking lost. If you look like you know where you are going, you may be less likely to be targeted than someone who is poring over a map with a bewildered look on their face. (Been there, done that :). )

Studying maps can be very helpful, but maps don't always show enough detail. As an example, a hotel I am considering staying at is near a taxi rank. Looking at a map, it seems that I would have to walk several blocks out of my way to get from there to the hotel. Google Earth's street view showed me that there is a pedestrian area that I could cut across and save many steps.

These features are not always the easiest to use, but they can be helpful.

M.

Apart from the usual like using a money belt or neck strap, and seperating your credit/debit cards, etc. I think much of this comes down to common sense. Stay in well lit areas, do not venture down back alleys or deserted streets-especially at night. Be aware of your circumstances...all too often we see tourists gawking or busy concentrating on taking a picture while they have lost all notion of what is happening around them. Be especially alert of anyone who come too close to you or even worse 'bumps' in to you. People on vacation tend to take less precautions that they would at home. This is when the trouble starts.

One of the slickest moves I've seen by a pick pocket or thief was in Barcelona.

We were checking in to our hotel a very nice hotel on Los Ramblas. I want to say the Inter continental but that may not be right. The lady in front of us had a European size carry on which she set on the floor while she registered. The thief was in the door and out with her carry on before anyone could take a deep breath. They know your valuables are in the carry ons. Only time we saw this. We've seen other pick pockets and known several people who have been pick pocketed in Barcelona. It's definitely a place to be super careful!

Were in Barcelona in June and on a local bus returning to the ship and there were 3 Spanish people a couple of seats in front of us and I saw a guy make his way to be near them so I watched and waited, sure enough I saw his fingers emerge from his coat over his arm and into the guys pocket.

Boy did I yell, the would be thief gave me a dirty look and just slowly got off the bu with nothing,nobody seemed to be bothered but at least the guy had the grace to thank me.

Would a man stand out in dressy shorts? My husband insists on packing shorts for the days we're in Barcelona and won't be in cathedrals, but I told him I don't think it's done.

The website above has a link to how to dress in Barcelona, and says no shorts on men, then proceeds to show a picture of men in long shorts and say it's a picture of typical Spanish dress, so that didn't help when I tried to research this with my husband. :confused:

First, I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in. Even when tourists try to blend in, they still carry marks of being a tourist - guide book, camera, tennis shoes, different language, etc. Yes it's great to try to blend, but don't let it stress you out too much or keep you from enjoying yourself.

Europeans don't usually wear shorts unless they are in beach-side resort areas - even in summer. On all of my travels to Europe, I've only seen people in shorts in places like St. Tropez or the Cinque Terre. However, you will see other tourists in shorts if it's hot.

I would get your husband some lightweight slacks - cotton or linen should be comfortable in the heat.

He can wear shorts of course, but he will stick out like a sore thumb.

Barcelona will be filled with thousands of tourists. Don't kid yourself, long pants, short pants, the pick pockets are professionals and can spot a tourist a mile away. It is not just the clothes you wear, but the way you walk, talk, etc. The best advice is to always be on guard, and don't carry around much valuables.

The one constant is that in a city full of tourist I will be the one without steel reinforced backpack/camera straps, locks on my backup etc. and just be cautious and alert but totally dressed like a tourist and the opportunist thieves can go after the naive and those who think that between the gadgets and such they will be safe even if they are not wearing sneakers ;)

Let's be serious Barcelona in the grand scheme of things is a very safe city. It would suck for you to get your camera, watch, or passport stolen but compared to many other places people tourist this is not one of the more dangerous places and good common sense will be your best bet.

Barcelona will be filled with thousands of tourists. Don't kid yourself, long pants, short pants, the pick pockets are professionals and can spot a tourist a mile away. It is not just the clothes you wear, but the way you walk, talk, etc. The best advice is to always be on guard, and don't carry around much valuables.

The one constant is that in a city full of tourist I will be the one without steel reinforced backpack/camera straps, locks on my backup etc. and just be cautious and alert but totally dressed like a tourist and the opportunist thieves can go after the naive and those who think that between the gadgets and such they will be safe even if they are not wearing sneakers ;)

Let's be serious Barcelona in the grand scheme of things is a very safe city. It would suck for you to get your camera, watch, or passport stolen but compared to many other places people tourist this is not one of the more dangerous places and good common sense will be your best bet.

Pleae be aware that Barcelona is in the top list of cities with the highest crime. Others that make the honor roll include Rio and Rome.

If I remember correctly when we were last in Barcelona this past April that unemployment was now reported at 20% and that is the reported rate. Actual unemployment is higher. Another city with high crime is Buenos Aires.

Yes, one need to be very careful when they visit and city but some cities are worse than others.

Keith

First, I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in. Even when tourists try to blend in, they still carry marks of being a tourist - guide book, camera, tennis shoes, different language, etc. Yes it's great to try to blend, but don't let it stress you out too much or keep you from enjoying yourself.

Europeans don't usually wear shorts unless they are in beach-side resort areas - even in summer. On all of my travels to Europe, I've only seen people in shorts in places like St. Tropez or the Cinque Terre. However, you will see other tourists in shorts if it's hot.

This is a truth that applies almost as much in New York City as it does in Europe. When I see someone in Manhattan on a weekday wearing shorts, and they're not delivering for UPS, it's likely they are a tourist. Not always, of course, but likely. It only takes a few minutes of observation to confirm the impression, or discover that they are a local who doesn't happen to be working that day. It's very, very easy to see the distinction.

I found the warnings on Barcelona pickpockets to be very helpful.

My husband and I were walking down crowded Las Ramblas on Saturday morning after our arrival in the city, feeling quite jet-lagged, when a short Hispanic-looking man said to my husband "a bird did doo doo on your shoulder, and on mine too" and pointed to s spot that looked like spit on my husband's shoulder. A Hispanic looking woman then moved to this other side and said "Let me help you clean that up" Having read the posts on the subject of Pickpockets, I immediately clamped my hands over his pants pockets and pushed him forward out of the way, and the two pickpockets vanished into the crowd.

Be forewarned!

It has been stated in the last 12 months, number REPORTED crimes to Police in Barcelona reached a record level ?

It has been stated in the last 12 months, number REPORTED crimes to Police in Barcelona reached a record level ?

I posted this on another thread about Barcelona crime from Rick Steve's Best of Europe:

This is from Best of Europe:

Theft Alert: You're most likely to be pickpocketed here - especially on the Ramblas - than about anywhere in Europe. Most of the crime is nonviolent, but muggings do occur. Be on guard. Leave valuables in your hotel and wear a money belt.

Later, he goes on to say, assume any scuffle is simply a distraction by a team of thieves.

I think Barcelona is a great place to spend some time. But people, especially tourists, should be on alert in Barcelona.

One thing now that you will notice on La Ramblas is the number of police, both uniformed and plain clothed.

Just be carefull , be aware of your 'stuff' and be aware of who is around you. Be aware of everyone, men women and children.

We were lucky on the Millennium to be able to see and meet Bob Arno. He did a show on pickpocketting and how to avoid.

Watch this to be amazed

No one has mentioned the danger of being pickpocketed after getting money from ATM. We land in Barcelona, and will be getting max amount of Euros from the ATM at the airport. 2 of us, so we'll have approximately $1000 in euro cash (absolutely need the cash to pay for excursions - and train/entrance fees).

Has anybody ever been pickpocketed (or heard of anyone being pickpocketed) at the BCN airport after using the ATM? I would think the best thing would be to get the money, do not stash it until you go to the washroom and can do it in private in the bathroom stall.

No one has mentioned the danger of being pickpocketed after getting money from ATM. We land in Barcelona, and will be getting max amount of Euros from the ATM at the airport. 2 of us, so we'll have approximately $1000 in euro cash (absolutely need the cash to pay for excursions - and train/entrance fees).

Has anybody ever been pickpocketed (or heard of anyone being pickpocketed) at the BCN airport after using the ATM? I would think the best thing would be to get the money, do not stash it until you go to the washroom and can do it in private in the bathroom stall.

Are you on a cruise and needing the cash for excursions? Our ship had an onboard ATM- pricey @ $6 per transaction- but a small price to pay so as not to be carrying over $1200 US around.

We paid for our private St. P-burg excursion in cash,which I obtained aboard the Eclipse by cashing traveler's checks and a personal check at no charge. I received US dollars which our tour company accepted. Don't know if cruiselines would pay out in euros, but I do know that Celeb had a currency exchange at guest relations. Again, probably not the best rate, but the safety factor compensates.

Anything can happen anytime. On our arrival day into London, we were having lunch at a pub in the Victoria area. My friend left her wallet at the bar when she got a couple beers. An opportunist saw it and took it in the blink of an eye. She didn't realize it was gone til she was back at the hotel.

Getting cash at the airport after an overnite flight seems especially risky because jet-lagged travelers are good targets for savvy, well-rested, experienced thieves.

Pickpockets choose victims who are not aware of their surroundings. At ANY ATM (in airport or in city) one person should be staring purposefully around them while the other is getting money. I am not sure why you would need to get ALL your euros at one time when you first arrive?? I usually buy about $100-$200 worth at home to have on that first day.

The only airport ATM I have ever used was in Venice.

I wouldn't count on ATM giving you 1000 euros; more like 300 at the most. Also if your suppliers are computer literate then you can pay them in Euro using Paypal at any point in time.

Archived