Which to book first once onboard? Chef's Table, Sanctuary, or Thermal Suite?

BigMattT

Just wondering, does the reservations for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's go fast also? Is it something that needs to be done as soon as we board?

They don't sell out normally, as Bob stated above its best to go ahead and make a res if you know which night you want to go.

You may find formal nights are sold out though.

Otherwise we have walked up many times to eat in the Crown Grill. :)

One more tip. I signed up for the Chef's table at the podium outside the Crown Grill where a Head waiter was taking reservations for Crowne Grill and Sabatini's. He was there at about 11:30 and I asked him to note the time I asked for consideration so they would know that I was first in line. The DINE line doesn't usually answer before 1:00 PM, so I was able to get a jump on the request. I have done the CT on the Ruby and Emerald and they were two of the best meals I have ever had, the wines were great and the service was extraordinary.

Having done it twice, I will go to Crown Grill on my next cruise, but I don't rule out trying Chef's Table on the cruise after next.

No, it's not just you. I get exhausted just reading about peoples' plans of attacks upon boarding. It's a personal thing, I know, but I would really hate to start my cruise with that sense of urgency. And I don't think I have felt differently since cruise #2. (On Cruise #1 we were crazy people, highlighters in hand, scheduling our days down to the 15 minute time periods).

Elites may have an 'advantage', but I bet that there are a good percentage o Elites (us included) who don't partake in any of these extracurricular activities, and that the playing field is more level than you might imagine.

JMVHO :)

It doesn't sound like the most relaxing way to start the vacation, but I don't think it would be a good idea to do on-line either because instead of it selling out to those who want it baddly enough to get on the ship as early as possible and make a mad dash to secure the reservations it would go to the people in timezones who are awake when the E-Tickets go out and rush to reserve things. I've been involved in mad internet rushes to sign up for things that go live in the middle of the night for me and it even less fun then racing around a ship. A lottery system might be more fair but at least this way they people who get the Reservations really, really want them instead of perhaps having a bunch of people who weren't that interested but just did it because it seemed like the thing to do.

I really can't understand all the fuss and rush about the Chef's Table. There's probably too much food and at $75 it's too expensive. I'd rather go to Sabatini's or the Steak House.

Thats the issue "probably".

If you have not done it don't knock it. :(

I'm fine with that other than the option to board the ship early is not available to everyone. Let's say boarding starts at 1 PM. I get to the dock at 11 AM because I REALLY want to do the chef's table. I am first in line for the non-priority boarding. But I am not going to be first on the ship, because at 1 PM the Elite/Platinum cruisers will board before me even if they arrived at 12:50 (yes, there MAY be some parallel boarding but the concept holds).

The time zone issue is easily fixed. Make it available either at 8 PM EST or stagger availability over a few hours...

It doesn't sound like the most relaxing way to start the vacation, but I don't think it would be a good idea to do on-line either because instead of it selling out to those who want it baddly enough to get on the ship as early as possible and make a mad dash to secure the reservations it would go to the people in timezones who are awake when the E-Tickets go out and rush to reserve things. I've been involved in mad internet rushes to sign up for things that go live in the middle of the night for me and it even less fun then racing around a ship. A lottery system might be more fair but at least this way they people who get the Reservations really, really want them instead of perhaps having a bunch of people who weren't that interested but just did it because it seemed like the thing to do.

A lottery system might be more fair but at least this way they people who get the Reservations really, really want them instead of perhaps having a bunch of people who weren't that interested but just did it because it seemed like the thing to do.

Is it just me, or is this whole thing a little "off"? If I offered a product/service with limited availability and people waiting in line to partake, I would have to think about perhaps raising the price a bit. I mean, compare the CT to the UST, and it seems as if the CT should be priced more highly. And, really, I wish they would skip the gifts. Robes, cookbooks, etc...these are things I don't need and certainly don't want to have to haul home. If the CT really has so much value that people are willing to wait in line to sign up and then hope they're chosen, then skip the gift(s) and raise the price. At some price point, we wouldn't have to rush to sign up.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but as a CCL shareholder, that's what I wished they'd do.

In concept, I agree. I'd have to see load factors to know if it actually made sense. The question becomes are the fees a matter of profit line or demand control, which will be two different pricing structures.

Is it just me, or is this whole thing a little "off"? If I offered a product/service with limited availability and people waiting in line to partake, I would have to think about perhaps raising the price a bit. I mean, compare the CT to the UST, and it seems as if the CT should be priced more highly. And, really, I wish they would skip the gifts. Robes, cookbooks, etc...these are things I don't need and certainly don't want to have to haul home. If the CT really has so much value that people are willing to wait in line to sign up and then hope they're chosen, then skip the gift(s) and raise the price. At some price point, we wouldn't have to rush to sign up.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but as a CCL shareholder, that's what I wished they'd do.

In concept, I agree. I'd have to see load factors to know if it actually made sense. The question becomes are the fees a matter of profit line or demand control, which will be two different pricing structures.

I hear you, because of the variable costs and not totally unlimited capacity. But there is certainly a price point above $75pp and x number of people per cruise which moves the two pricing structures closer to a feasible intersection.

:eek: Remembering this stuff from a prior life...my head hurts!

We get to the pier super early because we want to start the cruise.

And the earlier we get on the earlier the cruise starts.

If those who have never experienced these tours/dinners/sanctuary want to get there early to so they can sign up whats wrong with that?

Its great that we all have these choices to make.

Also, remember, the usually quoted boarding time of 1:00 PM iis not the real boarding time. I have been on the ship as early as 11:00 AM and as late as noon over the last 7-8 years. (I like to start my cruise as early as possible and am usually in the first group to board). All Elite and Platinum members do not board early. On the Ruby in May there were only about 100 in that grouping and because of the large number of check-in desks non-elite/platinum members were boarding just a little bit behind us.

And plus there are many factors in this as far as who else is on the boat and their interest.

As someone who wasn't elite on the Island in Alaska last year, we took the train down from anchorage, stood in the standard line and boarded the ship.

After getting to our rooms, we toured the ship, checked on our spa appts and that was when we had a tour of the spa and decided to sign up for the sanctuary.

We were never able to get through on the dine line, so we went and grabbed something to eat at the buffet where we were directed to stop by the dining room and see the Maitre D during his office hours to sign up for Chefs Table.

I never saw anyone in Sanctuary all week so signing up for that would have been really easy.

So it really may depend on the cruise just how big the demand is for these options.

That's good to know. We're in a day before the cruise and have to be out of the hotel early anyway :)

Also, remember, the usually quoted boarding time of 1:00 PM iis not the real boarding time. I have been on the ship as early as 11:00 AM and as late as noon over the last 7-8 years. (I like to start my cruise as early as possible and am usually in the first group to board). All Elite and Platinum members do not board early. On the Ruby in May there were only about 100 in that grouping and because of the large number of check-in desks non-elite/platinum members were boarding just a little bit behind us.

I embark with a list of things I wish to accomplish (CT, UST, TS, deck of cards, confirm dining...).
I spend about 30 minutes rushing around to accomplish the items on the list.
Once I have completed the tasks, I sit in the MDR and enjoy a very nice lunch knowing that my cruise has officially begun!:)

[quote name='BosoxI']Did I miss the information on the thermal suite? What is it? Don't tell me no one knows:rolleyes:[/quote]
The Thermal Suite is a private area inside of the spa. There are steam rooms, whirlpools, and heated loungers. There is an extra charge for this.

I, too, wonder about all of these people rushing around on the first day with big plans to reserve all three of these things at the same time. Then I remember that CCers are a very small (although very vocal) portion of the cruising population. Sometimes I think the boards over-emphasize the scarcity of these items onboard and feed into the whole "I must rush" mindset.
We shouldn't be surprised that most cruisers don't know about these things, and if they don't read the Patter on the first day, heck, they may never know about them! We have friends who have sailed Princess several times and only recently learned (namely because I told them!) that you can eat in the MDR for a meal other than dinner. :eek: So, if some seasoned Princess cruisers don't know about the existence of these things, imagine the rest of the ship. We have to remember that reading the posts here gives us a slightly different perspective of the cruise than the majority of the passengers.

That being said, there is clearly a demand for these items, due to the fact they almost always sell out on a voyage. I think it would probably be more fair to do all of them as a lottery, instead of first-come-first-served, which, as shown, has its problems. But, Princess probably prefers it this way, because when you know you're signed up for something, you take more ownership of it. With a raffle, people are more likely to forget etc. Similar with the Personalizer - people can always cancel, forget, then where does that leave Princess? So, I doubt they will change their methods anytime soon.

[quote name='TracieABD']The Thermal Suite is a private area inside of the spa. There are steam rooms, whirlpools, and heated loungers. There is an extra charge for this.[/quote]

Thanks. The Spa is not our thing, but after countless Princess cruises, you'd think I'd know by now.

[quote name='BosoxI']Thanks. The Spa is not our thing, but after countless Princess cruises, you'd think I'd know by now.[/quote]
Not a problem...

Anything for a fellow Sox fan!
[IMG]http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/wp-content/img200809/red_sox_logo111.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='TracieABD']The Thermal Suite is a private area inside of the spa. There are steam rooms, whirlpools, and heated loungers. There is an extra charge for this.[/QUOTE]

new to princess-- going to be cruisng on crown princess

Is the Thermal suites sep charge from Sanctaury-- what does Sanctuary include?

What do the thermal suites include? Do you get a pass for the entire trip or by the day?

What about a T pool? free or extra charge or included in Sanctuary or Thermal Suite pass?

Can one book excursions ahead on line or Specialty restauants?.. on Celebrity we both ahead & then head to the spa once we board to get those appts right away...then check our dining room assignment...

Is the Thermal suites sep charge from Sanctaury-- what does Sanctuary include? [COLOR=red]Yes. The Sanctuary is a lounging area that has comfy seats and waters and lots of service.[/COLOR]

What do the thermal suites include? Do you get a pass for the entire trip or by the day? [COLOR=red]From the Princess website:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]The extensive spa facilities include sauna, steam rooms, and a thermal suite. A communal relaxation center, the thermal suite offers different grottos and chambers that release a variety of dry heat, steam and mists into the air with aromatherapy filled vapors. Spa goers can relax on a warm stone bed designed to make the pressures of life melt away. Use of the thermal suite is included in spa treatments, and daily and weekly passes are also available. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]

What about a T pool? free or extra charge or included in Sanctuary or Thermal Suite pass?[COLOR=red]What is a T pool?[/COLOR]

Can one book excursions ahead on line or Specialty restauants?.. [COLOR=red]You can book excursions on line. I am not sure about specialty restaurants, but I don't think so. That has to be done on the ship. [/COLOR]on Celebrity we both ahead & then head to the spa once we board to get those appts right away...then check our dining room assignment...

[quote name='hcat']new to princess-- going to be cruisng on crown princess

Is the Thermal suites sep charge from Sanctaury-- what does Sanctuary include? [COLOR=red]Thermal Suites are a separate charge from the Sanctuary.[/COLOR]

What do the thermal suites include? Do you get a pass for the entire trip or by the day? [COLOR=red]Never booked the T.S., but I believe both options are available. The T.S. has steam suanas w/ aromatherapy, dry sauna, rainmist showers, heated ceramic dry beds, etc.
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/COLOR]Can one book excursions ahead on line or Specialty restauants?.. on Celebrity we both ahead & then head to the spa once we board to get those appts right away...then check our dining room assignment... [COLOR=red]Excursions can be booked online through your cruise personalizer (usually starts about 120 days before sailing). Specialty restaurants can only be booked once aboard the ship.[/COLOR]
[/quote]

See Above.

Edit, Tracie beat me to the reply but at least our answers agreed...

Archived