Hurricane Earl Advisory From HAL

geocruiser

I'll go ahead and post the info here, since some of us are affected.

At Holland America Line the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. As a result of the projected path and strengthening of Hurricane Earl in the Atlantic, we have decided to modify the following published itineraries:

ms Eurodam August 19th 18-day Transatlantic Cruise: On Friday, September 3rd, the Eurodam will call at Halifax rather than calling at Sydney, Nova Scotia. On September 4th and 5th the ship will be at sea and will remain out of the projected path of the hurricane. The cruise will finish as planned on Monday, September 6 in New York where guests will embark for the 10-day Canada/New England cruise as scheduled.

ms Maasdam August 28th 7-day Canada/New England Cruise: On Tuesday, August 31st, Maasdam departed from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island as scheduled and will now sail directly to Boston, arriving the evening of Thursday, September 2nd. Port calls at Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia, as well as Bar Harbor, Maine have been cancelled. This will put the ship safely alongside in Boston ahead of the storm’s anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to stay onboard the ship until Saturday morning. Subject to receiving approval from the various governmental agencies that are involved in the disembarkation process, we will try and make it possible for guests who want to leave the ship on Friday to do so. No changes are currently planned for the September 4th departure of the Maasdam 7-day Canada/New England cruise.

ms Veendam August 29th 7-day Bermuda Cruise: On Friday, September 3rd, the Veendam will depart Hamilton a few hours early, and is scheduled to arrive in New York as planned on Sunday, September 5th. Guests embarking for the September 5th sailing will do so as scheduled.

We will continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and communicate any future impact on cruise itineraries to guests and others as they are implemented. Updates will be posted at www.hollandamerica.com on a regular basis. Guests with questions may call 1-800-577-1728.

So that answers the questions about our 9/4 sailing. Too bad Sail7Seas will miss out on the ports; but I'm positive she will be more than happy to be home safely!

Just in case someone can't open the link, here is what HAL is saying:

Hurricane Earl Advisory

[/url]

At Holland America Line the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. As a result of the projected path and strengthening of Hurricane Earl in the Atlantic, we have decided to modify the following published itineraries:

ms Eurodam August 19th 18-day Transatlantic Cruise: On Friday, September 3rd, the Eurodam will call at Halifax rather than calling at Sydney, Nova Scotia. On September 4th and 5th the ship will be at sea and will remain out of the projected path of the hurricane. The cruise will finish as planned on Monday, September 6 in New York where guests will embark for the 10-day Canada/New England cruise as scheduled.

ms Maasdam August 28th 7-day Canada/New England Cruise: On Tuesday, August 31st, Maasdam departed from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island as scheduled and will now sail directly to Boston, arriving the evening of Thursday, September 2nd. Port calls at Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia, as well as Bar Harbor, Maine have been cancelled. This will put the ship safely alongside in Boston ahead of the storm’s anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to stay onboard the ship until Saturday morning. Subject to receiving approval from the various governmental agencies that are involved in the disembarkation process, we will try and make it possible for guests who want to leave the ship on Friday to do so. No changes are currently planned for the September 4th departure of the Maasdam 7-day Canada/New England cruise.

ms Veendam August 29th 7-day Bermuda Cruise: On Friday, September 3rd, the Veendam will depart Hamilton a few hours early, and is scheduled to arrive in New York as planned on Sunday, September 5th. Guests embarking for the September 5th sailing will do so as scheduled.

We will continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and communicate any future impact on cruise itineraries to guests and others as they are implemented. Updates will be posted at www.hollandamerica.com on a regular basis. Guests with questions may call 1-800-577-1728.

All media inquiries are to be directed to the Public Relations Department at 1-800-637-5029.

Thanks all for the advisories but ... where is it on the website?

I can't seem to find it under Travel Advisories.

Thanks

Try this link to get to Travel Advisories.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?tabName=Travel+Advisories

Once you get to NEWS Travel Advisories look to the left side of the page where it says Hurricane Earl Advisory.

This is the second year Eurodam has had a hurricane to welcome it back to the states... last year it was Bill, this year Earl seems to want the honors... :rolleyes:

I feel so sorry for the passengers on the Maasdam, missing 3 ports and not having them replaced with any others. I know it isn't HAL's fault, but I hope they receive some compensation or future cruise credit.

i feel for them, but this is the risk one takes when cruising during hurricane season. for the life of me, i don't understand taking the risk.

aside from a refund of port charges for the missed ports, i don't think they deserve anything. plenty to do in boston, at least, while they are stuck there.

i feel for them, but this is the risk one takes when cruising during hurricane season. for the life of me, i don't understand taking the risk.
Life is about risks. You know how many people die each year in motor vehicle accidents? Yet you still hop in a car at the drop of a hat. You do so because you feel the odds are in your favor.

Same with a Canada/New England cruise, at least with regard to my decision to make the journey this week. I personally would not go near the Caribbean this time of year ... but the far northeast is *usually* of minimal risk. The odds went the other way this time. I made an informed decision, and now I'll just make the best of it.

Try this link to get to Travel Advisories.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?tabName=Travel+Advisories

Once you get to NEWS Travel Advisories look to the left side of the page where it says Hurricane Earl Advisory.

Thanks for posting - most definitely not on my site - probably because I'm checking from Canada. That's why CC is great - if it weren't for all the posters, I really would have no idea what was going on!

Life is about risks. You know how many people die each year in motor vehicle accidents? Yet you still hop in a car at the drop of a hat. You do so because you feel the odds are in your favor.

Same with a Canada/New England cruise, at least with regard to my decision to make the journey this week. I personally would not go near the Caribbean this time of year ... but the far northeast is *usually* of minimal risk. The odds went the other way this time. I made an informed decision, and now I'll just make the best of it.

You are absolutely right, Jim.

I feel the same - I would not book a cruise in the Caribbean this time of year (although I do sail in Nov. which is technically still hurricane season) but I would not hesitate to book a Canada/New England cruise.

Chances are really slim that a hurricane would disrupt a cruise in the northern waters.

I feel sorry for the cruisers on the Maasdam who are missing three ports.

I wish them a safe journey back into Boston. I am sure HAL will keep them entertained Friday, in case they don't want to venture out into the city!

I feel so sorry for the passengers on the Maasdam, missing 3 ports and not having them replaced with any others. I know it isn't HAL's fault, but I hope they receive some compensation or future cruise credit.

i feel for them, but this is the risk one takes when cruising during hurricane season. for the life of me, i don't understand taking the risk......................

I especially feel badly for those who were on the 7-day because their vacation was cut short so abruptly. What a darned shame.

While I would never book a cruise in the Caribbean in August or September, or to Bermuda (because I'm a terrible worry wart), in my wildest dreams I would never even consider the possibility of a hurricane cutting short or cancelling a Canada/New England cruise during these months.

It's not like there's a whole lot of other times you can book this cruise! This is high season for such cruises and the risks of a hurricane coming along are pretty darned low.

It's going to be such a mess up there even if they don't get the actual hurricane ... I am really sympathetic to all those affected.

Some of us do work for a living and have to schedule vacations for when we can go. For years I didn't take a vacation to the Caribbean because I've very nearly missed some because of hurricanes. I decided to do the West Coast and then I faced a hurricane on that side. Seems you can't win.

Some of us do work for a living and have to schedule vacations for when we can go. For years I didn't take a vacation to the Caribbean because I've very nearly missed some because of hurricanes. I decided to do the West Coast and then I faced a hurricane on that side. Seems you can't win.

Weather is something that no one can predict with certainty. Even now, the hurricane is tracking differently and now, it is headed for the Maritimes in Canada, so HAL's decisions were on the money. Hopefully it veers off a bit.

it's part of the 'risk' of cruising. glad our transatlantic is a bit later.

It was a smart gamble. We haven't had a major hurricane hit us in almost 20 years. And apparently we won't this time, either. We will have a storm, and it will impact your cruise, but that's not the same as a direct hit.

I too feel bad for those that their cruise will be effected but as others have said this is actually is the start of peak season for Canada / New England and there is not another time of year that you can do it and be non hurricane season. As Jim said we actually take bigger risks getting into our own cars every day.

I am cruising in just 11 days and yes in the Caribbean and yes I chose the cruise because the price was very good.

Personally after so many cruises I do not mind a little excitement to talk about before and during the cruise. If we could not make it to a single port I would not be the least bit dissappointed because the ship is my major destination. ;) We did buy Travel Guard travel insurance and we are cruising the Western Caribbean so for right now I believe we are safe but I know that could change in a day or two :o

Jim, I think you are going to be fine and hopefully for those that their cruise was not what was planned the passengers will understand this was for their safety.

It was a smart gamble. We haven't had a major hurricane hit us in almost 20 years. And apparently we won't this time, either. We will have a storm, and it will impact your cruise, but that's not the same as a direct hit.

Bob? We were on Cape Cod for that one. Not a lot of rain on the Cape, but lots and lots of wind. Fortunately, the peopple who ran our B&B had a coleman stove, and were able to make cofffee the next morning, and a huge pot of soup for supper.

I feel sorry for the Maasdam pax who are from the Boston area. All that money to stay on a ship parked right near home.

Archived