Too Many People, Too Little Ship

Mysteryreader

If you want a real breakfast ----Princess's room service menu has a lot to be desired. There is nothing hot on the menu.

That's funny! I had a regular balcony room last year on CB, and got everything I requested... I do have simple tastes though! Oatmeal, raisins, warm milk, fruit... One morning, I asked for a poached egg on toast, and it came - piping hot! Maybe I was just very lucky!:)

The OP's comments are so different from what we experienced on the CB. We kept saying the whole week, "Where is everyone?" We truly never felt crowded except 1 night in the HC. We waited half an hour and it was cleared out.

Service on our cruise was also excellent with the exception of one waiter in AD. Everywhere else, it was superb.

I think the NE itineraries must drive a lot of people indoors. We just never experienced crowds in the Caribbean.

We are trying Princess for the first time with the Quebec City to Port Everglades 13 night October cruise. The itinerary is what sold us on the idea, and despite all the crowding tales with the Crown, we are keeping an open mind. The Crown will be the largest ship we ever cruised on too. Live and learn I guess!

My husband and I were on the CB two weeks ago and experienced the same crowding issues. The temps during our trip were in the high 80s and 90s the entire week with the pools and outdoor areas in full use. It wasn't a matter of cooler temps and people wanting to be indoors.

We didn't let it ruin our vacation, we had a fantastic time on the trip. We just had to be flexible. We tried to eat in the DR for breakfast, but they only serve until 9:30 and sometimes we weren't ready to eat that early, especially when the time moved ahead an hour when we got into Canada. We had anytime dining and had to wait every night for a table, anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. We just went and had a drink at the bar until our table was ready and tried to go to the dining room a little later in the evening when the crowds had let up.

We were never able to find a table in the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe during breakfast. One morning, we were waiting for a table to be cleared when another guest, who was oblivious to us waiting for the table, cut right in front of us and sat down!:eek: One morning, we opted to take our breakfast back to our room and eat on the balcony, another morning we ate on the pool lounge chairs, and a third morning we grabbed seats at one of the pool bars towards the front of the ship. The most relaxing morning for us was when we opted for room service. Yes the menu isn't that diverse, but by that time we were ready for a break from all of the big meals!

We also ran into the crowding problem surprisingly during the 8:15pm showings of MUTS, which caused us to revise our plans and go to the later movies. We arrived about 30 minutes early to the theatre on the last night and found that it was already standing room only. We opted to go and do something else, rather than fight the crowds.

The crowding was my only complaint, we really enjoyed our time and the ship otherwise. I'd prefer a smaller ship the next time, but it wouldn't keep me from choosing this ship again if the itinerary was what I was looking for.

We just returned from a Caribbean Pr NE/Canada cruise. Our first on Princess. Dh says he'll never consider a Princess cruise again.

The ratio of cabins vs public areas seemed really skewed. In the morning, it was close to impossible to get a table in the buffet area. (One time I wedged my plate in between the railing spokes of a dividing wall b/c there wasn't even a stool to sit on.) There was **NO** quiet corner for conversation w/ cruisemates (we sailed w/ family members) or to read a bk. Photographers on formal night were set up in hallways blocking traffic patterns. Heretofore we've met friends in cocktail lounges outside the dining rm for a pre-dinner drink. The lounges were packed like cattle cars and weren't conveniently located near dining rms. The Princess Theater was really small w/o enough seating. The final night there was SRO w/ people lined up along the walls. Believe it or not, there were restrms w/ only *1* stall on a ship of 3000+ pax. The corridors everywhere narrow, cramped, and jammed w/ people. And let's not even mention the slo-o-o-ow elevators that were so overwhelmed they zipped right past our floor multiple times.

Is this typical?

I don't expect to ever talk dh into booking a Pr cruise again, but I'd like to know for my own information.

BTW, a note on service: we had a great cabin steward. OTOH, the buffet waiters/bus workers were less than energetic. On several occasions I bussed our table b/c there was no one else around. One time I was cleaning/setting and looked up to see 4!!! waiters congregated in a corner by the coffee machines just chatting, completely oblivious to the need for some service.

M/R

Sorry you had a less than great experience with Princess. With a cooler climate cruise, as was mentioned earlier, you're experience less crowding.....

Bob

That is because there are 500 less passengers on the Golden (and I have also done the Grand class in Alaska and not been crowded).

Think of the Golden but an extra deck of passengers (500 people) onboard. No more public space available on the ship to absorb the people. Oh - and the covered pool doesn't exist on these ships so if it is cool out, people don't go there either like they can on the Grand class.

Does that mean I'm not going to be enamored of Diamond and Island next year?

Does that mean I'm not going to be enamored of Diamond and Island next year?

Neither of these ships have the additional 500 passengers. Both of these ships have a better space ratio compared to the Golden Princess ship (and much better compared to Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby).

I think you will like both. The Diamond and Sapphire made some improvements in design from the Grand, Golden and Star...... I have been on the Sapphire (sister of Diamond) a few times and it felt spacious.

The Coral and Island are great designs IMO and also feel spacious.

I have never heard anyone say they felt crowded on these ships.

I have consistently said the Caribbean was crowded and had a poor passenger space ratio. We sailed this ship once 4-5 years ago. Although the ship, food and service were lovely, I did not enjoy fighting the crowds. The problem is more significant than the weather being cool- there are too many people in a confined public space. Princess added an extra deck of passengers(500 extra people) but did not enlarge the remainder of the ship. We have avoided this class of Princess ever since ( sister ships would be Crown Emerald Ruby).

There are better choices out there. Buyer beware anyone who books this class of ship.

Since then we have done half a dozen HAL cruises (whcih are terrific) as well as the Coral ( which we love), Star and Grand Princess, all were fine crowd wise.

Anyone who doubts there is a problem needs to do the math- passenger space ratio.

Neither of these ships have the additional 500 passengers. Both of these ships have a better space ratio compared to the Golden Princess ship (and much better compared to Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby).

I think you will like both. The Diamond and Sapphire made some improvements in design from the Grand, Golden and Star...... I have been on the Sapphire (sister of Diamond) a few times and it felt spacious.

The Coral and Island are great designs IMO and also feel spacious.

I have never heard anyone say they felt crowded on these ships.

Glad to hear that, because I go on vacation to relax, not to do my best imitation of a salmon swimming upstream :D

Very insightful Toto and makes sense too! Being on the CB 3 times and coming up on our 4th (all Caribbean itineraries), we've always been able to find a quiet spot when we wanted one. I will remember your response when the DW wants to take that chilly itinerary. :D

Wow, it's chilly in Canada in early September? Never was when I was there that time of year!

I was on Crown last year for 27 days in Med and British Isles, biggest problem? BUFFET TABLE HOGS, who want to sit at the Horizon Court table after a meal and read books, play cards, gaze etc, depriving others of a seat. Staff should tip them out.

There is a well known Latin saying, "De gustibus non desputandum est" that translates into "There is not disputing in matters of taste".

Cruising is a matter of taste. It is a totally subjective experience. If you think the ship is too crowded -- it is. If you do not think the ship is too crowded -- it isn't.

We just completed the September 4-11 cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We had a terrific cruise and enjoyed every minute of it. Others certainly may not share our evaluation.

We did not find the ship over crowded at all. Then we did not eat in the Horizon Buffet nor did we attend any of the shows -- we never do. Again, what you enjoy on a cruise is totally subjective.

Probably the only niggling things that were a bit bothersome were not caused by Princess but by some passengers who appeared not to have great respect for others. But then we generally see these folks on every cruise.

To expect others to have the same taste as you is the height of egotism. It appears to us that Princess does a pretty good job of meeting the expectations of most people they sure can't meet the expectations of all.

Just an opinion.

P&J

Toto2...>>>>..."on this Canadian Itinerary, where it is usually cooler, and many are inside instead of outside, that the ship can seem very crowded. With so many passengers all looking for the warmer areas indoors, that can make for a ship that feels more crowded than normal.

Sorry this cruise didn't meet your expectations, but it is the one reason we have never considered this itineary on a ship of this size".

Just happen to see this thread....Good point Toto!

Makes sense.

We are planning a Canada/N.E. cruise...and will consider this

fact when booking.

Thanks.

I was on Crown last year for 27 days in Med and British Isles, biggest problem? BUFFET TABLE HOGS, who want to sit at the Horizon Court table after a meal and read books, play cards, gaze etc, depriving others of a seat. Staff should tip them out.

Happens all the time in Alaska, especialy on the Island/Coral because the HC is forward. :mad:

Remember me? I'm the OP.

The problem w/ overcrowding was not caused by the cooler weather. The weather was great! The problem is as I said, too many people, too little space. There was always space on the Lido deck for those who wanted to lounge away. But w/ the great ports and interesting excursions, most pax weren't onboard for the Lido lounge experience.

I prefer to eat meals in the DR, but we ate there for bkft only twice. One time was at the Boston stop b/c we weren't scheduled for an early excursion. We were seated at one of the last tables still available. (Waiters were directing pax; it wasn't 'open seating.') You'd think that pax who were seated at window tables at the far side would be seeing scads of empty tables on the other side. Not so. All tables were occupied.) The other time was the last day when we were there relatively early. Brft hrs in the DR are ltd. If you're planning on doing some touring/excursioning, you'll most likely go to the buffet rather than be at the mercy of the DR kitchen schedule.

One morning in the buffet, dh and I were searching far and wide for a table. I lost him. I eventually was invited by a guy who was seated at a table for 8 to join him and another pax. Turns out he heads up to the buffet at 6:30 and grabs that table every day, waiting for his wife to join him around 9 am. Yes, you read that correctly: he's seated at that table of 8 for 2 1/2 hrs before his spouse even shows up!!! He was considerate enough to offer the other pax and myself to join him, but think on the number of pax who can't find a seat at all. (BTW, I didn't see dh again until I returned to our cabin.)

Dsil (who was cruising w/ us) saw a solitary man at a table for 4 using his computer during the morning rush. No food, not even a cup of coffee in front of him.

I don't want you to think I didn't have a good time on the cruise b/c I did. It's dh who vows never to cruise on Pr again. What I find mildly aggravating, he finds extremely annoying. But I, too, found the lack of public space to be a concern. This is the first cruise we've taken (it was our #8) where we spent most of the evening reading in our cabin b/c we couldn't find an entertainment venue w/ available seating. We arrived at least 30 min early for every single show we wanted to see. In the theater the final night before the show began, dh left to go the restrm. I defended his open seat from (no exaggeration) 10 people! In one case, I bodily threw myself in front of his seat saying, "yes, it's taken, yes, it's taken, yes, it's taken!"

Did it ruin my cruise? Of course not, but it didn't leave us w/ a driving desire to bk another Pr cruise. In dh's opinion, he'll *avoid* Pr in the future.

M/R

If the HC buffet is that crowded then the MDR was probably empty. Not sure if you are aware but the MDR is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Both were crowded for us also. Lines not moving getting into the dining room and Horizon Court very full, unable to find chairs. International Cafe/atrium also did not have any chairs empty. It was truly a no win situation.

Consider the Celebrity Solstice class -

122,000 GRT and 2,850 passengers.

Ratio of 42.8

or as earlier stated

RCI Explorer Class

138,000 GRT 3,114 passengers

Ratio of 44.35.

The only two Princess ships on the East Coast year round are the Emerald and the Caribbean. Both Super-Grands

113,000 GRT 3,100 passengers

Ratio 36.45. Not an illusion of being crowded, you are crowded.

The September 4-11 cruise was totally sold out, in fact oversold and move-overs were offered by Princess. The reason it was sold out was that many folks believe it delivers a great product for the dollar spent.

It makes absolutely no sense to sail on Princess if you do not enjoy the experience. There are several other cruise lines from which to choose that may deliever what you are looking for in a cruise.

Cruising is many things to many people. The most important element is to be satisfied with the cruise you choose.

Thanks Big Booper or posting the numbers, as I've said do the math. Passenger space ratio is the most objective way to evaluate.

Princess offers a nice product but they went astray with the Caribbean and its sisters. They did not fool us, we recognized the overcrowding day 1. Once was enough for us on the Caribbean. We have avoided this class of ships since.

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread.

We sailed the Emerald on a TA and will not sail that class of ship again. Have been Princess cruisers since Sitmar...the old Fair...and the Emerald was less than good for us...too many people, no covered pool, forcing folks indoors...we learned from that and shall not sail that class again. Unfortunately, folks need to do their research and figure out what is available and how many passengers will be onboard (we did not, and had many friends from past cruises sailing on the Emerald....we had a great time with them and enjoyed the cruise, but almost cancelled when we found out there was no covered pool...our fault for not doing research, but we silly folks thought that there was a covered pool on all Princess ships). Unfortunately I think a lot of folks may think that there is a covered pool, not an extra 500 folks, or whatever, based on their past experience or what friends have told them.

We like the Sapphire, and the Golden and Grand...all have the covered pools that we like and less people.

The Grand Class of Princess (Grand, Star, Golden)

2,600 passengers

109,000 GRT

Space ratio of 41.92

This is due to the thinking of Carnival which took over Princess after the Grand Class and created the Super-Grands.

Carnival is doing the same to Costa, Carnival and even HAL, with the Eurodam, which is one more deck of passengers added to the Vista ships.

Yikes! We leave for this cruise in less than 3 weeks... Not a big fan of crowds. I have a visual issue which make crowded situations pretty challanging for me. My only spot of hope is that we have TD in the evenings and will eat lunch while at port. Not sure how breakfast is going to go. We may have to go with Continental breakfast from room service.

I can live without the shows and will do what I can to negotiate in a crowd. I have always said that a cruise is what you make it, so I will do everything in my power to make this cruise FUN!:)

Yikes! We leave for this cruise in less than 3 weeks... Not a big fan of crowds. I have a visual issue which make crowded situations pretty challanging for me. My only spot of hope is that we have TD in the evenings and will eat lunch while at port. Not sure how breakfast is going to go. We may have to go with Continental breakfast from room service.

I can live without the shows and will do what I can to negotiate in a crowd. I have always said that a cruise is what you make it, so I will do everything in my power to make this cruise FUN!:)

I hate crowds, but I survived it last year! In fact, we're returning this year. I'm not shy about asking to share a table at breakfast in HC. I don't take that long to eat breakfast anyway, as usually we're in HC in order to get on the move and out to our excursions.

The hall with photos is to be avoided at all costs when something is going on in the lounge at the end of it (can't remember the name).

I learned which decks were least likely to be crowded when I needed to get from one end to the other (in fact, sometimes the hall down a deck of cabins was more expedient than trying to get through public places.

Don't wait until you're starving to go eat if you have Anytime Dining. (oops, see you have TD)

I think it's much easier to handle if you go expecting it to be crowded. Forewarned is forearmed!

Archived