LaTerra Wine

DP

If I were to pay "big money" for a suite, I probably would not be hoping to save some money drinking house wine or worrying if it was complimentary or not.:rolleyes:

If it's part of the perks, why not serve a decent bottle? Maybe a $10 one intead of a $3 one. Just because someone spends money to get a suite does not mean they want to burn through more of it in other ways.

• 2 years later...

LaTerre.I would certainly agree with most posters comments?

For the price they pay for such huge quantities i am sure they could have a in house (Miami Kitchen) tasting panel for $2.50 $3.00 a bottle, wines.In Australia there are some good Quaffing Wines. Aldi Australia sell some good wines from that price range as an example.

I've found that once you get past the first 3-4 glasses, it starts to taste OK. Or you could do what my wife does and order it as a wine high-ball. The seven up enhances (kills) the flavor pretty well.

That is so true!:D:D

Sherri:)

A fellow cruiser on the Jewel transatlantic told us they'd actually run out of La Terrible and actually had to start serving something a little better![/quote

We've had that happen on several TAs also, can't remember the name of what they switched to but it was pretty good. And definitely an improvement over La Terr!:D

Sherri:)

On the Allure, then the Vision last month, the house wine was becoming St. Michel. It was becoming, because they were still serving the La Terrible until it was used up. On the Allure, you could choose either chardonnay. On the Vision there was only the St. Michel chardonnay and cabernet, but the merlot was still La Terrible.

I am not certain of the spelling of the brand. It could be St. Michelle, or St. Michael, but it is French, from the Languedoc. It is NOT the American Chateau St. Michelle.

The cabernet is much better than the previous. The chardonnay is lighter, lower in acid and with very little oak overtones. That makes it easier to drink and I predict the consumption will go up in the DL and CL.

Jim

On the Allure, then the Vision last month, the house wine was becoming St. Michel. It was becoming, because they were still serving the La Terrible until it was used up. On the Allure, you could choose either chardonnay. On the Vision there was only the St. Michel chardonnay and cabernet, but the merlot was still La Terrible.

I am not certain of the spelling of the brand. It could be St. Michelle, or St. Michael, but it is French, from the Languedoc. It is NOT the American Chateau St. Michelle.

The cabernet is much better than the previous. The chardonnay is lighter, lower in acid and with very little oak overtones. That makes it easier to drink and I predict the consumption will go up in the DL and CL.

Jim

Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to giving this new house wine a try.:)

The Walmart Oak Leaf($2.97) or Lucky Duck($3.97) is better, well at times and from where they get the grape to juice make it and how long it takes to drive from the vats of grape juice to the processing plant(aging) LOL. We are red wind drinkers, but cannot drink the La Terre, my lady can drink about 1- 2 glasses, then switches to Chardonnay or the White zen, I can only drink the white zen.

On our last cruise, the had a mix of La Terre, and another red, at first I thought it was drinkable but the next day it was just as bad.

One thing for sure you really appreciate a good bottle of cline Zen or Castle Rock Cabsav with your dinner.

Heck it is free, so for the chance to meet nice people in the DL we are happy to drink a little.

In the last few months we have spent alot days on Mariner and Vision

and La Tierra was not being served on last couple of cruises!

Actually the new Cab wasn't bad,

and a Merlot was dry, smoother than most, and not bad either!

The chardonnay is lighter, lower in acid and with very little oak overtones. That makes it easier to drink and I predict the consumption will go up in the DL and CL.

That sounds like a positive change to me. I'm looking forward to trying it, so I hope that's what they have on Independence of the Seas when I sail.

Interesting comments. I've never found the La Terre red wine to be bad. I mean, it's not a particularly good wine - not much in the way of complexities of flavor - but it's OK. Or at least, it has been on the occasions I've tried it.

Without giving too much details, I have inside knowledge of the cost of some of the wines as long as it is certain wines...

Not sure what is being served as the house wine, but LaTerre is sold at about $67 for a 6 bottle case of 1.5L (before discounts). Actual cost is in the low $40's (for privacy, not posting exact number). So somewhere in between. Chard, Cab, Merlot all the same.

The 750ML - standard size, would be about $66 and low 40's respectively for a 12 pack. Pretty much the same as the double bottle based on quantity. So maybe the pay about $4/bottle or just under that would be my guess. Yes, I could find out exactly, but that's close enough where I don't need to know down to the penny.

[quote name='SoFlaCruzer']Without giving too much details, I have inside knowledge of the cost of some of the wines as long as it is certain wines...

Not sure what is being served as the house wine, but LaTerre is sold at about $67 for a 6 bottle case of 1.5L (before discounts). Actual cost is in the low $40's (for privacy, not posting exact number). So somewhere in between. Chard, Cab, Merlot all the same.

The 750ML - standard size, would be about $66 and low 40's respectively for a 12 pack. Pretty much the same as the double bottle based on quantity. [COLOR=Red]So maybe the pay about $4/bottle or just under that[/COLOR] would be my guess. Yes, I could find out exactly, but that's close enough where I don't need to know down to the penny.[/quote]
They should contract with Trader Joe's. We can get 3 buck chuck (2 buck in California) for cheaper, and the Merlot is slightly more drinkable than La Terre.

[quote name='clarea']That's encouraging ... got to better better than La Terre, right?:)[/quote]

Jewel is serving St. Marten (I tried Googling it and got tired of wallowing through St. Maarten sites). The red was better than La Terre, but I thought the chardonnay was worse, really bitter. I think it's part of the Lafite family, the redheaded stepchild...:eek:

And, alas, Two Buck Chuck is now $2.49 Chuck in So Cal...

[quote name='critterchick']Jewel is serving St. Marten (I tried Googling it and got tired of wallowing through St. Maarten sites). The red was better than La Terre, but I thought the chardonnay was worse, really bitter. I think it's part of the Lafite family, the redheaded stepchild...:eek:

[COLOR=Red]And, alas, Two Buck Chuck is now $2.49 Chuck in So Cal.[/COLOR]..[/quote]
I've been gone from So Cal too long!:eek:

Guest maddycat
[quote name='hockeyken']:eek: This wine is so bad, I wouldn't pour it on a burning cat.....and I like cats.

The winery sent a sample to the labs for testing. Two weeks later the reply came back : [COLOR=red]" Congratulations-your horse is pregnant."[/COLOR] [/quote]

Great.............lol.

[quote name='north29']The Walmart Oak Leaf($2.97) or Lucky Duck($3.97) is better, well at times and from where they get the grape to juice make it and how long it takes to drive from the vats of grape juice to the processing plant(aging) LOL. We are red wind drinkers, but cannot drink the La Terre, my lady can drink about 1- 2 glasses, then switches to Chardonnay or the White zen, I can only drink the white zen.
On our last cruise, the had a mix of La Terre, and another red, at first I thought it was drinkable but the next day it was just as bad.
One thing for sure you really appreciate a good bottle of cline Zen or Castle Rock Cabsav with your dinner.
Heck it is free, so for the chance to meet nice people in the DL we are happy to drink a little.[/QUOTE]

Go try the good inexpensive Wines of Aldi.com.

There are many many Stores in Florida.I bought from near Boca Rotan

Archived