New Dining Room Breakfast Menu

Krazy Kruizers

[quote name='Pettifogger']No one has mentioned the daily specials, which we enjoyed so much on our recent cruises (dollar pancakes including various fruits, for example.) I hope that expanding the breakfast menu wasn't accompanied by elimination of the daily specials?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]Unfortunately, there are no daily specials any more. However, the one I liked (omelet with asparagus and swiss cheese) can be ordered off the make your own omelet section. I know there were a number of waffly, pancakey specials also, so there may not be a way to recreate them. I'd not thought about it since I don't partake of them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.........
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Vegemite is something I grew up with and still eat most days on toast at breakfast. When I travel abroad, I take a stash of Vegemite and a good bitter marmalade (not together!) for my toast. I don't like huge breakfasts.

One thing I do like though is a poached egg - which I couldn't get in the Lido last trip. Will try the MDR this time around.

[quote]One thing I do like though is a poached egg - which I couldn't get in the Lido last trip. Will try the MDR this time around.
[/quote]

[B]Funny you couldn't get a poached egg in Lido as they offer a selection of eggs benedict. I would have thought they could have served you plain poached eggs if that is what you wanted. Did you ask at that section?
[/B]

[I][COLOR=darkred]I got Grits in the Pinnacle and they were like water. Not like the kind you get in the south or in my kitchen, creamy with butter and oh well, sweet and low, no sugar being diabetic. Even the package grits are better than what I got.:( Think I might bring a couple of pkgs. and get half and half and hot water from room service.[/COLOR][/I]

I must be the only Aussie that does not like Vegemite, not my flavour, looks and tastes like axle grease or worse. So if HAL does not stock Vegemite, then I would not be worried at all. However peanut butter, love that and all the cruise lines have that.

I had friends who cruised on Volendam around Australia, earlier this year, lot of Aussies on board. The ship had to load some vegemite on board on reaching Sydney, to prevent a mutiny.

sail7seas, I did ask for my eggs but was told they weren't poaching at the stations - only fried or omelets, neither of which am I a fan. No matter. I look forward and am hopeful.

NSWP - each to their own, but mutiny over Vegemite? Quite understandable ;)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Funny you couldn't get a poached egg in Lido as they offer a selection of eggs benedict. I would have thought they could have served you plain poached eggs if that is what you wanted. Did you ask at that section?
[/B][/quote]
I was thinking the same thing....
sort of reminded me of that scene in "Five Easy Pieces" where Jack Nicholson asks for toast, and they say they don't serve toast.
So he asks if they have tuna sandwiches on toast, which they say they do... so he says something to the effect, "Fine, just get me a tuna on toast and hold the tuna"

• 1 year later...
[quote name='sullaRaffaello']What is the charge to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? Is the menu different than the main dining room?[/quote]

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is reserved for Deluxe Suite & Penthouse guests. It is part of their amenities. There is no charge for breakfast there

[B]It is the same menu as that served in the MDR. It is a very extensive, wonderful menu. Just about anything you could want is available. If you don't see it, ask.
The service and setting are delightful.[/B]

[quote name='sullaRaffaello']What is the charge to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? Is the menu different than the main dining room?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Only PS, S, SA, SB and SC passengers can have breakfast in the Pinnacle.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]BUT -- it is not always in the Pinnacle on all ships. On some ships it is in the King's Room and on a couple of ship's it is in the corner of the main dining room on the upper level of the dining room.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The lower level of the dining room is for all passengers for breakfast.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[B]Also...

When the ship is in Code Orange the first few days, do not always rely upon the Concierge to be accurate when asked if Pinnacle is open for breakfast. There have been times when we were misinformed. We called Pinnacle ourselves to verify and sure enough they were open but the concierge had told us no.

If in doubt, verify.

[/B]

[quote name='kazu']Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is reserved for Deluxe Suite & Penthouse guests. It is part of their amenities. There is no charge for breakfast there[/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]And it's worth every dime![/SIZE][/FONT]
:)

When I saw the heading for this thread, I thought for one delirious moment that perhaps they had decided to restore the breakfast specials which used to make the morning trip to the MDR an opportunity to fantasise about what culinary delights might be awaiting one. Still, I know I can survive on Eggs Royal for breakfast for at least three weeks because I've done it.

It comforts me to think that eventually when cruise prices go back up to where they were before the recession, an offsetting benefit may be the restoration of the special breakfasts.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]The steel cut oatmeal was delicious, it was nice to have that as an option. My husband ordered his "as you wish" omelet many mornings, and I don't think he once got what he had ordered!! :rolleyes: It actually became a joke with us, to see what kind of mystery omelet he'd get each morning. :) I also enjoyed the eggs Royale, that was really delicious![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Pettifogger']When I saw the heading for this thread, I thought for one delirious moment that perhaps they had decided to restore the breakfast specials which used to make the morning trip to the MDR an opportunity to fantasise about what culinary delights might be awaiting one. Still, I know I can survive on Eggs Royal for breakfast for at least three weeks because I've done it.

It comforts me to think that eventually when cruise prices go back up to where they were before the recession, an offsetting benefit may be the restoration of the special breakfasts.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I also enjoyed the breakfast specials and do miss them.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]But I guess HAL figures that with so many items on the new menu that people don't need the specials.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Himself']The menu looks very good but itsounds like a disaster for diabetics.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]On one of our cruises we often sat with a couple whose wife was a Type 1 diabetic and had to use insulin.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]She was even able to eat a couple of the pastries.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]There are lots of items on the menu -- I am sure that you could find something there for you.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived