Can a case of bottled water be brought onboard?

Sometimes. It depends on the port and the time of year. If it is a spring break sailing, I wouldn't bother. We have taken cases on 7 day cruises out of Port Canaveral with no problems. We took 2 six packs of sparkling water and 4 bottles of water on in our carryon with no issues on our last cruise out of Boston.

There really is no consistancy in enforcement.

Are you sure they were filled with "water"? :o

Ya! it was water because it still had the plastic wrap on it. It was from Sam's. Here I was in the naughty room for Rumand Vodka. I felt so bad fro the guy with water I couldn't help but to notice the plastic still on it!!

We took a package of 4 six-packs of water on Navigator this week. Stuck the luggage tag on it and it arrived to our room with no problem.

People used to do this too on Carnival until they put a stop to it. Now if you cant carry it on yourself, too bad. imo its really taking advantage of the porters.

At least make it easier for them and put it in something with a handle on it. .. just my opinion.

Thanks for your responses. I will try to bring a 24 pack of water by carrying it on. It's just much more cost efficient to bring my own water than to keep purchasing water on board. I drink lots of water and like to have it to drink in the cabin, at the pool, just walking around, etc.

If it gets confiscated, no big deal. I hope I can take it on though.:)

Seems it can be real hit or miss. I would give it a try. Worst case is you are out a couple bucks. Best case is you have your water.

Take it and the worst case is you lose 5 bux....best you can take it on board. I also think that if you try and take it on as is, they will take it, but if you have it in a piece of luggage ie:carry on, there wont be an issue

Can a case of bottled water be brought on board? I plan to put the bottles in a wheeled carry on. Or, if allowed, is it only allowed in checked luggage?

Shouldn't be a problem. We packed several 6 packs of Sprite in bottles for a recent cruise. Then in Key West I bought a 2 litre of diet coke and brought it back onboard with no questions asked. Others were carrying on lots of drinks -- one guy did have a case of water he bought while off the ship.

Some say a few bottles will be OK - but cases are stopped.

They sell water and other non alcoholic and alcoholic beverages on board the ship. No need to take your own. The ship water is safe to drink.

Just for info – on our last two cruises ( August 2010 and October 2010) one piece of luggage was held in security as we had two bottles of water packed inside. I won’t bother bringing any water. I would rather have my luggage on time.

Good luck.

M

It depends. The policy is stated on the RCL website, but is not consistently followed.

Smart travelers ditch the heavy, expensive, cumbersome water, and instead take an inexpensive, lightweight water filter that they can use to create as much purified water as they want.

Smart travelers ditch the heavy, expensive, cumbersome water, and instead take an inexpensive, lightweight water filter that they can use to create as much purified water as they want.

I must not be a very smart traveler. Would never give any thought to an inexpensive, lightweight water filter that I could use to create as much purified water as I want.

I must not be a very smart traveler. Would never give any thought to an inexpensive, lightweight water filter that I could use to create as much purified water as I want.

Yes we saw the guy in the Diamond waiting area at disembarkation with the water filter pitcher strapped to the front of his jacket. Very attractive! I'll check the bottled water and keep it chilled in the frig - thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Just off Explorer 14nt.

Out of Cape liberty, we had NO problem with a 24 pack of Poland Spring. I duct taped (have to still organize our pictures) it appropriately so it was easy for everyone (porters and RCI workers) to handle and it arrived to our cabin just as we left it. :D Even made a duct tape handle for them!!!!!

Some say a few bottles will be OK - but cases are stopped.

They sell water and other non alcoholic and alcoholic beverages on board the ship. No need to take your own. The ship water is safe to drink.

Just for info – on our last two cruises ( August 2010 and October 2010) one piece of luggage was held in security as we had two bottles of water packed inside. I won’t bother bringing any water. I would rather have my luggage on time.

Good luck.

M

The ship water may be safe to drink, but I found that on Mariner the tap water from the bathroom sink was chlorinated enough to be unpalatable. I would fill up in the Promenade Cafe instead (not directly into my bottle; from a glass).

If you need bottled water just bring a few bottles, enough to make it to your first port. Then buy water there. This way you don't have to lug it around on board until your room is ready.

Or you could just board around 1:00 and go straight to your cabin.;)

Yes we saw the guy in the Diamond waiting area at disembarkation with the water filter pitcher strapped to the front of his jacket. Very attractive! I'll check the bottled water and keep it chilled in the frig - thanks!

It won't be chilled, just cooled.:)

Enforcement is spotty.

Your best option is to do what the experienced cruisers do. Don't lug cases of heavy water. Just take a water pitcher filter. These can be used to create the equivalent of about 300 bottles of water. They're easy to travel with, and are less expensive than water. You'll also be helping the environment.

Archived