MAASDAM - Congratulations !!!

sail7seas

USPH Inspected Maasdam the day we boarded, December 6, and she earned a score of 99 out of possible 100.

That is so outstanding for any ship but for a ship of Maasdam's age, it's a huge accomplishment.

Captain and his Officers, Staff and crew certainly deserve a resounding WELL DONE.

We were so happy for them.

Hi! sail7seas welcome back!! Hope you enjoyed your cruise. :D I put down a deposit for another cruise on Statendam. Has anyone ever been on that ship? Someday I hope to cruise on Maasdam too. I like the longer cruises and noticed that that ship (Massdam) does them.

Hi! sail7seas welcome back!! Hope you enjoyed your cruise. :D I put down a deposit for another cruise on Statendam. Has anyone ever been on that ship? Someday I hope to cruise on Maasdam too. I like the longer cruises and noticed that that ship (Massdam) does them.

Thanks, Shandryl. You're right that Maasdam has a few long cruises scheduled for next year.

They've been doing the Voyage of the Viking for years but added a 40+ day cruise sailing October 28. Wonderful itinerary.

HaHa -- I wonder what she missed one point for? :)

You think like me. :) I asked and know that, of course, it is easily gotten from the web.

They lost a point because of missing or damaged tile in the galley, is what I was told. Given Maasdam's age, tiles have been changed, replaced etc through the years and apparently one was a bit deficient.

We're so happy for their reward for hard work. They most definitely earned it.

That's very nice to hear, as I board her January 17th. Does anyone know who our Officers/CD will be on the Collector's cruise? I do know via Facebook that one of my favorite HAL employees, an Ass't Dining room Manager, Robert Hazelaar is supposed to be aboard, which is great!

Hi 'Sail' ---- so glad that you had a wonderful cruise!! Yes, a score of 99 is really a tribute to the effort of the officers and crew of this elegant old girl!

Could you please tell me who is playing in the Piano Bar?

We'll be boarding on January 17 and unfortunately we won't get the chance to meet 'Copper 10-8'. I believe that he will be disembarking that morning ---- oh well, perhaps another time!!

Have a great holiday!! :)

Just off the Statendam (Panama Canal) and all was fine. Not the best HAL food overall, but good enough. Lovely ship and we would return without hesitation.

Thanks for the Maasdam report, OP. Our first and our favorite. No one does croissants better than the Maasdam - they work magic that the other HAL ships have not quite be able to duplicate.

to the whole Maasdam crew. Well deserved score.

DH and I got off the Maasdam on the 17th. First time on that DAM ship but definetely not the last. We loved its size, never felt crowded. Food was excellent and the ship itself is in pretty good shape. The crew was not better or worse than any other DAM ship, always excellent in our opinion.

I will be writing a review when I have more time.

We were on the December 6 sailing as well. This was our 5th cruise on her.

In our opinion, there are cruise ships, then there is Maasdam. She is in a class by herself...perfect size, superb staff and crew, elegant and comfortable.

Great ship.

Our 2003 cruise to Alaska on the Maasdam convinced us to give HAL all (or almost all) of our cruising business. We will be sailing with her, I believe for the fourth time, January 28 and April 24 (5th time?). We are thrilled to hear she is in top condition before her opportunity to get "spruced up"!

Captain Henk Draper and Hotel Manager Frank Ulrich are those at the top of this accomplishment but it takes each and every Officer and crew member doing their jobs well for a ship that age to score so hugely well.

Archived