Nieuw Amsterdam movement

merknerk

We are going on Nieuw Amsterdam in March. I keep reading posts about the movement of the ship which concerns me because my sister and husband are going with us and I want them to feel comfortable.

We were on her sister ship Eurodam which I believe is made the same.

The cruise was wonderful and the ship movement was minimal. I wonder why I keep reading these posts about this on Nieuw Amsterdam and not Eurodam?

If anyone can help me with an answer it would be great.This will be our eighth cruise so we are excited. I have been on a enough cruises to know that every now and then the ship will rock but why so much talk about this particular ship?

We are going on Nieuw Amsterdam in March. I keep reading posts about the movement of the ship which concerns me because my sister and husband are going with us and I want them to feel comfortable.

The cruise was wonderful and the ship movement was minimal. I wonder why I keep reading these posts about this on Nieuw Amsterdam and not Eurodam?

If anyone can help me with an answer it would be great.This will be our eighth cruise so we are excited. I have been on a enough cruises to know that every now and then the ship will rock but why so much talk about this particular ship?

Because:

1. She is the newest ship in HAL's Fleet

2. She is cruising in the Caribbean at a time when the weather in the Western Hemisphere (or should I say Northern?? Look at Northern Europe's weather the last week or so), has been really weird lately.

3. Because she is a ship and wind and waves combine to make ships have a bit of motion. Sometimes more motion than normal.

4. Because we are all talking/writing about her.

You can never tell what kind of motion you are going to have on any ship, no matter the size.

I felt more motion on the Westerdam in February 2010 than I did late November to early Drcember 2010 on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Joanie

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam the same time of year -- exact same weeks as we did on the Eurodam in 2008.

And even though the weather patterns were slightly different -- the Nieuw Amsterdam does seem to have more motion than the Eurodam.

Having bad knees juct made me walk more carefully.

We loved the Nieuw Amsterdsam.

We did not feel much motion on the Nieuw Amsterdam between Nov 28 and Dec 12. I like a little motion once in awhile so I remember I am actually on a ship on the ocean. If you want motion, cross the Tasman Sea; now that is something or be in a North Atlantic storm. Both of which we have survived.

Our October 2010 Transatlantic aboard Noordam was so smooth I was kind of disappointed!

I like just a dash of rocking and rolling.

Like Joanie wisely advises, there are many variables when your expressway is one of the seven seas.

Happy Holidays!

I just got back from a btb cruise on the NA. We had very high winds during the two weeks and on the second cruise missed HMC and Grand Turk because of the winds. My cabin was mid-ship on the Upper Promenade Deck and I never felt a lot of movement. As you went up to higher decks and to the front of the ship such as Crown's Nest and the Explorations Cafe, the movement was felt more but it was never to the point that you couldn't walk safely. I read previous reports of the movement on the NA and was concerned about it, but I personally never felt anything unusual except the usual movement of the ship in high winds.

We just completed our ninth cruise with HAL, on the NA. We were on a B2B with the itinerary being the Western and then Eastern Caribbean, total of 14 days.

We had very smooth sailing and I found the ship to be quite stable. The only time that there was real movement (which is very subjective) was when we sailed a long run from Half Moon Cay to St. Maartens. There were some real rollers out there and yes, we could feel it, but it wasn't out of the realm of normal for being on a ship, no glasses breaking in MDR or anything crazy like that. The motion we did feel was very gentle. I actually remarked to hubby that I was disappointed that we didn't have more rockin' and rollin' (like on the Volendam sailing the Tasman Sea!)

By far and away, I felt that this cruise was one of the smoothest ones.:)

Both ships will behave Exactly the same in the same conditions.... no difference....NONE...ZIP..NADA NICHT..the ocean does move and not in the same way twice usualy

I think people just love to complain about something....... Beauty in in the eye of the beholder.. however in this case it is pure Archemedes and physics.

Most of the movement on Caribbean cruises this time of year is during the time the ship is out in the Atlantic, usually between Ft. Lauderdale and the first stop down in the islands.

Once in the Caribbean and out of the Atlantic, the ride smooths out.

We just returned from 11 days on Maasdam. The only day of rocking and rolling was when she was northbound in the Atlantic, east of the Bahamas, on the way home.

If the seas are rough or there are a lot of swells the ship will move a bit. Fortuantely they all have stabelizers today which cut down on the rolling factors. I have had 30 cruises on HAL and sometimes the sea can be rough. I would say at the time you are going the Caribbean should be quite okey.

I sailed with Dot . I stayed aft. I really didn't appreciate movement. I am not even walking sideways post cruise like I usually do. I did notice the coat hangers banging more and needed to take them off, but I really didn't feel it- sort of missed it. And we were in not so great waters.

Karen

We're sailing on the NA Jan 2nd and have been "upgraded" on a GTY to a stateroom on Deck 11 between Explorations Cafe & the Cabana Club so I'm expecting significantly more motion than something like a mid-ship on Deck 5. We were on a cruise a few years ago that was rough enough for the water in the pool to have big enough waves for them to break on to the deck - even crew members were coming to see the waves in the pool. Personally I rather like a bit of rocking but my wife is more motion sick prone (hello scope-dex patch!). For her sake I'm hoping for calm seas. Also hoping these staterooms have a larger balcony than some on low decks?

We're sailing on the NA Jan 2nd and have been "upgraded" on a GTY to a stateroom on Deck 11 between Explorations Cafe & the Cabana Club so I'm expecting significantly more motion than something like a mid-ship on Deck 5. We were on a cruise a few years ago that was rough enough for the water in the pool to have big enough waves for them to break on to the deck - even crew members were coming to see the waves in the pool. Personally I rather like a bit of rocking but my wife is more motion sick prone (hello scope-dex patch!). For her sake I'm hoping for calm seas. Also hoping these staterooms have a larger balcony than some on low decks?

That's a great upgrade. You are going to be on the deck with the Cabana Club, Crow's Nest, and Explorations Cafe. I had a cabana booked there for two weeks (Dec. 5-19) and spent a lot of time there. We had very high winds and during the second cruise missed two ports becuase of the winds. Nevertheless, I never felt uncomfortable motion that would detract from enjoying the cabana. However, it was windy up there and you may feel the wind on your balcony. My dream would be to have your stateroom and a cabana just outside the hallway. The ship is really beautiful and the service was great. Except for the weird weather, which no one can predict, my two weeks on the NA were wonderful and I would definitely go back to this ship.

If it's a ship, it's gonna move.

dot73 we're looking forward to this upgrade and our cabin right next to the Cabana Club. Having multiple sailing before I know that the upper decks can be more windy but it's nice to hear that you didn't notice any particularly bad ship movement during your 2 weeks despite the high wind condiditons. I'm wondering if a cabana is really worth the extra money they charge? We usually spend the extra for spa membership and get a massage or two while on a cruise, but nearest I can tell a cabana would be an extra few hundred.

Just got off the NA this morning. The ride was very smooth most of the time. We spent a lot of time up in the Crow's Nest and in the Internet Cafe and barely felt any motion. By the way, it is a beautiful ship. We had a wondeful Christmas cruise.

Archived