Perfect example of why you should get a passport.

Sue L

When I was in the military I was required to have one Now that I am retired I continued having one for travel and ID. When you are out of Prov sometimes people don 't recognized retired military ID. Everyone recognizes a passport know matter where you go or what country you are in. Airports love passports esp if you input it in early.

ny family that I travel with has to have a passport or I will not take them on a cruise. That is my rule for cruises passport or no go.

I haven't read the whole thread and I imagine that there has been some back and forth on the issue. I did read a couple of comments "the government should have stuck to it's guns" that I wanted to address. The overriding need for the passport requirements was to help keep terrorists from getting into the country. When DHS established the regulations that control identification requirements for travellers they determined that the risk of a terrorist entering the country via a closed loop cruise was low, low enough to allow an exception to the passport requirements. And if you read the CFR you will see on this issue DHS did "stick to their guns" because several commentors did not want an exception.

So now we have an exception that has the force of law that no one likes- government employees don't like it, travellers don't like it, cruise line employees don't like it. But nonetheless it is there. US citizens can travel without passports on a closed loop cruise. So each traveler has to assess their own individual risk and travel with whatever document meets their needs and their risk. For most people a passport is probably the best option, but for many others traveling without a passport is just as viable an option.

Passports have been required for years, not just because of terrorism. And Passports and the US State Department existed LONG before DHS. The whole idea of not requiting them for closed looped cruises came out of a very strong lobby on Capitol Hill. It was politically motivated more than anything else.

Passports have been required for years, not just because of terrorism. And Passports and the US State Department existed LONG before DHS. The whole idea of not requiting them for closed looped cruises came out of a very strong lobby on Capitol Hill. It was politically motivated more than anything else.

Yes, passports have been around for years but US citizens have not always needed them for travel. Before the regulations I could drive 8 miles north into Canada with nothing more than a driver's license (and could do the same thing on the Mexican border if I lived there). When I re-entered the US I verbally declared to the CBP officer that I was a US citizen. Most people entering the country needed only to declare their citizenship.

As I stated I have read the CFR and the lobby for not requiring a passport for land travel was greater than any other, at least according to the number of people who commented on the proposed regs during the comment period. The number of US citizens travelling on closed loop cruises is quite small, and if we have that powerful of a lobby I'm sure there are other things that could be influenced that would be more beneficial.

Citizens have always needed them for foreign travel with just a couple of exceptions. Canada and Mexico were only that way because the US shares a border with them and they are "driveable". That is why they didn't require a passport. But, that was not what you said in your previous post. The point is, a passport is required for travel back into the country from foreign countries (and actually you have to show your passport when you are leaving the country also-I've done it) and it should required be for ALL foreign travel. Stories of people not being able to join their cruise at a foreign port just reinforce the fact that it's insurance and it's always better to be safe, rather than sorry. I only posted what I did because you said passports were required because of DHS.

The rules have changed and I'm anticipating at some point passports will be required for cruising and we'll have more whiners here complaining about the cost. It's so minimal compared to the cost of travel.

What I don't want to see is someone refusing to get one and then coming here expecting to get sympathy and some kind of compensation for their choice. So, get one, don't get one, just don't complain.

We are biting the bullet and buying passports for our cruise next May. We need 4 for all of us and the $540 expense is a hard pill to swallow, but I just don't feel comfortable leaving the country (especially with 2 children) without proper ID to get BACK into the country should anything happen. I look at it this way to make myself feel better about the cost: A passport is good for 10 years. At $135 each that is $13.50 a year. How many times do I go into a store and buy something for $13.50 that I didn't really need or wasn't planning on buying? A lot! $13.50 is a cheap price to pay for safety and peace of mind.

the passport is only good for kids for 5 yrs. thats what we were lokd last year when we got oir 14 yrs olds

Citizens have always needed them for foreign travel with just a couple of exceptions. Canada and Mexico were only that way because the US shares a border with them and they are "driveable". That is why they didn't require a passport. But, that was not what you said in your previous post. The point is, a passport is required for travel back into the country from foreign countries (and actually you have to show your passport when you are leaving the country also-I've done it) and it should required be for ALL foreign travel. Stories of people not being able to join their cruise at a foreign port just reinforce the fact that it's insurance and it's always better to be safe, rather than sorry. I only posted what I did because you said passports were required because of DHS. I didn't quite say that, I said that DHS wrote the regulations (which they did in consultation with State).

The rules have changed and I'm anticipating at some point passports will be required for cruising and we'll have more whiners here complaining about the cost. It's so minimal compared to the cost of travel. It would certainly be less confusing if they did.

What I don't want to see is someone refusing to get one and then coming here expecting to get sympathy and some kind of compensation for their choice. So, get one, don't get one, just don't complain. Agree completely.

While US citizens were required to have passports for foreign travel prior to the new regulations these requirements were historically waived for travel in the Western Hemisphere, even for air travel.

What I don't want to see is someone refusing to get one and then coming here expecting to get sympathy and some kind of compensation for their choice. So, get one, don't get one, just don't complain.

But, of course, you know that they will.

Although this is a bit of "day late dollar short" advice....

Knowing that the snowstorm was coming several days before and the chance of their flight being canceled was high, they should have applied for an emergency passport and they would have gotten it!

I have personally had a passport since I was 5 and renew it without fail. You just never know!

In order to get an "Emergency Passport" you have to get to one of the few Passport offices in this country. There is one located in downtown Manhattan, and they probably could have received a passport in one day, but the city was snowed in and they probably could not have been able to get there. The agency will issue a passport in one day if you have proof (airline issued tickets) that your flight leaves the following day.

I have also had a passport since age 5. You never know when someone might invite you to be his guest on a cruise to Europe!

the passport is only good for kids for 5 yrs. thats what we were lokd last year when we got oir 14 yrs olds

Under the age of 16 passports are only valid for 5 years, but they don't cost the full adult amount. BTW, when you go get kids this age a passport, both parents need to be present. From the age of 16 on, passports are valid for 10 years and cost the full amount. We all have them in my family (kids are now 15 & 20) and have for many years.

Oh, and just to add my 2 cents, I am very glad Sue posted this thread and not offended at all with her wording or punctuation. She is providing valuable information for others to make up thier own minds.

My sister decided to join me on my cruise.She was bringing a Birth certificate.Now I think i will get her to apply for passport.She would need it by Jan13.How does she proceed?Use online or go in person somewhere? How much do you think it will cost? TY

My sister decided to join me on my cruise.She was bringing a Birth certificate.Now I think i will get her to apply for passport.She would need it by Jan13.How does she proceed?Use online or go in person somewhere? How much do you think it will cost? TY

She will have to expedite it, and it cost an additional 75$ or so to do so. As for where depends where she lives. Some do it as the post office others have town/state locations.

this is the passport home page, she will need to research it there. She better go TODAY

http://travel.state.gov/passport/

I never leave on a trip without my passport, that includes traveling within the USA. .

Within a state? From state to state? Assuming you have a drivers license or state ID there is no reason whatsoever to have a passport when travelling within the US.................:rolleyes:

Within a state? From state to state? Assuming you have a drivers license or state ID there is no reason whatsoever to have a passport when travelling within the US.................:rolleyes:

Actually, there very well might be. Particularly for those that might have their citizenship questioned. I use my passport to fly even within my state. It is the only ID that absolutely proves your identity and citizenship.

I don't know, if I had a passport I would probably use that as my travel ID for all travel. I hate having to fumble my license out of my wallet and hate to carry it loose in my pocket.

You could lose you drivers license, get stopped by the police. With no proof of identity or citizenship, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Better safe than sorry, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of trouble, etc. No need to take a risk, just carry your passport with you.

You could lose you drivers license, get stopped by the police. With no proof of identity or citizenship, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Better safe than sorry, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of trouble, etc. No need to take a risk, just carry your passport with you.

Please, give me a break. We should carry our passports whenever we're driving around in the US?????................I don't think so.

As far as risk goes, I'm not going to carry my passport around all the time and risk losing THAT.

Please, give me a break. We should carry our passports whenever we're driving around in the US?????................I don't think so.

As far as risk goes, I'm not going to carry my passport around all the time and risk losing THAT.

Well that is your choice. But if you are in a high risk group, I would avoid a couple of the states in our fine union. Heaven forbid you get pulled over and they doubt your citizenship.

It would not surprise me if passports will someday be required to fly even within the USA.

My only complaint is that when we renew our passports, we have to surrender our current unexpired passports first, so there is a period of a couple of months or so when we don't have our passport. There needs to be a way we can always hava a valid passport. Gosh, there must be a way. Some business people have to fly all the time. Anyone know of a way to renew a passport without first surrending the current unexpired passport?

It would not surprise me if passports will someday be required to fly even within the USA.

My only complaint is that when we renew our passports, we have to surrender our current unexpired passports first, so there is a period of a couple of months or so when we don't have our passport. There needs to be a way we can always hava a valid passport. Gosh, there must be a way. Some business people have to fly all the time. Anyone know of a way to renew a passport without first surrending the current unexpired passport?

There is an option on the passport renewal application to note that your previous passport was "lost", and therefore you wouldn't have to send it in with your renewal application. If they would require some sort of additional documentation to prove your identity, I don't know.

I renewed my passport in November and had my old (expired) passport back along with my new one within about 3 weeks.

Group of friends, 12 of them supposed to board a ship this past Tuesday. Blizzard hit the northeast so their flight was cancelled. First two days at sea.

Ten members of the group just took off for their first port of call in Aruba and will board the ship with likely hundreds of others who missed because of flights. . 2 were tearfully left behind because they didn't want the expense of getting a passport. VERY expensive lesson learned as they didn't buy the insurance either. So for saving $300 they are out several thousand.

GET a PASSPORT!!!!

And they deserve it. I have absolutely no sympathy for them.

DON

Actually, there very well might be. Particularly for those that might have their citizenship questioned. I use my passport to fly even within my state. It is the only ID that absolutely proves your identity and citizenship.

Well said. What if you look Hispanic and live in Arizona?

DON

Archived