Repeating A Cruise???

WillieD13

The situation - We had a great time on our cruise last summer, and are looking into a cruise again this summer. However, due to vacation time limitations, our options are rather limited. We basically have it narrowed down to 3 possible choices, but 2 of the choices, unfortunately, have port times that are not the best, i.e. for the first cruise, the ship does not get into one port until 11:00, and for the 2nd cruise it is worse, with one port at 12:00 and the 2nd port at 11:00, so we would end up wasting half the day, and missing out on a lot of possible excursions. The 3rd cruise had all good port times, but that one is a repeat of the cruise we took last summer.

The questions - Those of you who have done repeats, having already done that cruise, did you find it a disappointment or less enjoyable at all, or was it just as much fun as the first time you took that cruise? This issue is not so much the ports, there are plenty things to do, that we did not do last time, but the cruising part, will it be less enjoyable, having been on that ship and seen what they have to offer.?

Think of it this way

you get to see all the things you missed the first time or you can just relax while others are rushing about

It is a personal thing ...we did not mind doing the same ports again there is always something new to do

We've done this and it is fun. We did the Med on the NCL Jade in 2009 and then again in 2010. It's fun to try different types of staterooms, btw. First time on the Jade we had a Courtyard Villa. Second time we had an Owner's Suite. Both cruises were entirely different experiences and a whole lot of fun!

would you got to the same vacation spot more than once?

I certainly do - diving at Sunset House for 7 days, dozens of times; diving at Brac Reef Resort - dozens of times

Most of the cruises I've taken I've repeated, if not the exact cruise then the line certainly, and usually took the exact cruise more than once.

Each time we met different people, had different dining staff and often did different things in the ports.

When I go out to dinner I often go to a rest' I've been too b4 because it is nice to not wonder what it will be like .... it will be like going home, 'cept I don't need to do the dishes!

Taking a trip more then then one time is fun ,you will be able to see what you missed the first time and do it this time out, we did it before and will do it again .We have a trip coming up soon and I know we will not have time to see all that we want to , so we will take it again. The most important thing is to have fun..:D

Just think you will be one of a few who know where the things that are important to you are on board ship from day one. You will have a chance to meet new people, go to new places and revisit and redo things that gave pleasure the first time.In a week we are making our 4th western Carib. cruise, just as excited about it as the first. Go with what pleases you, you won't regret it. Bill

We would withhold any opinion until we knew the ports on your cruise vs the alternatives. Some ports (such as Naples) do offer lots of different alternatives so repeating can still be a new adventure. On the other hand, many ports in the Caribbean do not offer much unless you simply are looking for a nice beach.

Hank

We've done basically the same cruise four years in a row...and enjoyed every one. There's always something different on each one. A good example..once we had to skip a port due to rough weather/high waves, but got to stay overnight in Cozumel...got to sample nighttime at Carlos n Charlies...had a blast. Seems there are different memories from each of those 4 cruises. :)

10 times same ship, 2 itin that are almost the same. Kindof like going home. Always find something new to do. This year we found a museum to go to.

Maybe one time I'll stay onboard in port, that will be a new experience. No different than if you owned a vacation home.

We have repeated so many exact itineraries and specific ports so many times I can't count. We cruise Canada/New England on Maasdam every summer, back-to-back, Boston to Montreal and back year after year after year. Same ports, same ship, same everything and we love it. We have actually done two sets of b-to-b's of that cruise in one summer.

We also have repeated the same Caribbean itineraries over and over.

If you find something you like, what's wrong with enjoying it again?

Not to say we haven't been to many places once and haven't traveled extensively through U.S., Europe etc

We would withhold any opinion until we knew the ports on your cruise vs the alternatives. Some ports (such as Naples) do offer lots of different alternatives so repeating can still be a new adventure. On the other hand, many ports in the Caribbean do not offer much unless you simply are looking for a nice beach.

Hank

Looking at either the one we did last summer, to Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau, or back to Bermuda. BTW, a nice beach is always a good thing. :D

It doesn't bother me to do the same exact cruise more than one time. I've done one particular itinerary four times and would have no problem doing it again. I enjoyed it so much the first time that I wanted to do it again. I knew what to expect and knew what I wanted to do when I went to those places again.

We've repeated the same ships- NCL Jade, and P&O's Ventura, but with different itineraries. Last summer we had a short cruise to Northern Spain, which was tremendous, being so different to the Spain we've visited all our lives.....so we are looking to repeat the same cruise, and it will probably be on Ventura again, because that's a regular 7- nighter for her.

Jo.

Same ship, yes. But very likely you will have different waiters in the evening MDR, possibly a different CD, and different entertainers. So it won't totally be a repeat of your cruise. I have no problems repeating a cruise -- Fifth time for Voyager OTS this March.

Looking at either the one we did last summer, to Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau, or back to Bermuda. BTW, a nice beach is always a good thing. :D

This would be easy for us. Grand Turk is simply a stop at a Carnival owned facility and Nassau is a port that would be gone from most cruise line itineraries if Cuba was ever opened up to US cruise ships. Bermuda is a special place whether you go by ship or plane and we always feel the word "civilized" applies to that place.

Hank

Repeating an itinerary gives one the chance to explore things that were missed before. Also since you know a little more about the port, you might feel comfortable enough to do independent tours if you have not done so. Besides,there are always new people aboard.

I'll repeat a cruise even if it means spending the day on a fantastic beach, or just lounging on a quiet ship!!

I have not done an EXACT repeat, meaning SAME ship AND SAME itinerary. However, I have sailed twice on the same ship and I have done nearly identical itineraries. In fact, I think two of my cruises may have been identical itineraries, both on Carnival Fantasy class ships.

No, it does not minimize the experience at all. The thing about cruising is you only get a small taste of each port of call. It's always a struggle to decide what to do at each port because there is never enough time to do everything you'd like to do. Repeating allows you the opportunity to experience what you missed the last time.

I've visited many of the popular ports of call on multiple occasions. Barbados - twice. (The first time I did a catamaran trip, so I saw virtually none of the island.) Cozumel probably probably four times, Grand Cayman three or four times, St. Thomas four times, St. Maarten twice...you get the picture. Each visit is TOTALLY different.

ENJOY!

We repeated our first cruise because it was SO great! We loved the ports; you're right, there's a ton of stuff to do. But the ship... we love her so much, we're going again.

I'm still a port guy, but if I can get to those ports on my favorite ship, that much better.

The thing I like best about repeating a cruise or ports is finding something new. Its all about getting out there and discovering the hidden places. If you followed the crowd left on your last cruise, jump in a cab and go right. See whats out there. Make a game of it and find new things to take pictures of.

Archived