Monarch - buyers remorse

cj'smom

I wouldn't worry too much... here's a recent review of the Monarch 4 nighter and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

I've done Monarch 5 times and have never had a bad cruise. It's true that the rooms are small and the ship lacks the amenities that the newer and bigger ones have but she's still a great little ship with a great crew. The cruise director will warn you when an activity is adult oriented so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Just relax and enjoy yourself! :)

Thanks for linking my review! I can tell the OP that my boyfriend and I had a great time, we saw many teens/tweens who seemed to be having a GREAT time. It will be announced by the cruise director and in the compass if the show is adult oriented.

Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. It's like going into a room of 2300 people and asking if jeans make your tush look big...some people are bound to say yes.

You don't have to attend the "activities" of them trying to sell you things. and you can walk out of anything at any time if you're not enjoying yourself.

We were on deck 3 and I should have mentioned that every now and then we smelled a "toot type smell" when we first walked into the corridors for rooms, but it wasn't over powering or horrible. The first 2 times we smelled something my boyfriends words were this "wow, someone had gas", I laughed and told him what it was...but we only smelled it when in port for some reason (which you're likely to not be on the ship then anyhow so no biggie). We were in one of the lowest grade catagories, and there was NO mold, mildew anything present in our room. No the A/C isn't as powerful as your home, but the room was comfortable all the time.

Beyond that also I would recommend you to look at the demographic if possible of those who posted negative reviews, how long ago were they, and bear in mind you'll never see a ship with 100% positive review (or hotels or resorts etc). And more people are likely to post about negavtive things then positive.

Also every RC employee we encountered we more the friendly and helpful. I also should have mentioned in my review that my boyfriend forgot his belt and when we went and looked through the onboard shops we didn't see any. A worker asked what we were looking for and we told her. She said they generally have a couple stocked away but don't put them out until the last night for the "sale", however if we could give her an hour she would go dig out the couple they had and sell one to us that night. Not only did they bring out the 5 they had in stock they even helped to cut it down to the right size for my BF as he is a skinny-ish kind of guy and we didn't have any scissors with us. That to me was great customer service!

Hope you're feeling better about your trip! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have

Iv been on sister ships and if you have cruised before as you said, the humor is no worse than what you have already seen, or the shows.

I enjoyed my cruise, though not the small cabins.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. Dont get so caught up in negative reviews. There are lots of positives ones you are ignoring.

Called the TA and found out I would lose a lot of $$ if I cancelled since we are within 60 days of sailing. [/font]Thanks in advance!

I think it was early November and we were booked (2 rooms) on the Liberty for November 29, but saw the Allure arrive in PEV early and they added a sailing. Even though we had made final payment on the Liberty, they allowed up to basically change our sailing to the Dec 1 Allure. Of course we were going to be spending more money on the base price but they didn't charge us a cancellation fee for the Liberty. they actually moved our booking over and we kept the same reservation number. and they ended up upgrading up to a balcony from an inside as well.

So maybe if you are willing to spend more $$$$$, they will let you do this.

I have been on her quite a few times. Although it does not have all of the bells and whistles of big ships but we always have a great time. A cruise is what you make it, make this one great!

To bad your TA didn't mention it is the oldest ships in their fleet. Won't stop me from booking it again, oh ya I already did for Oct!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Don't worry about all the negative stuff your read here on CC. Most of the reviews are negative and exagerated. People like to dwell on the negatives. If positve uplifting news, reviews etc .etc were the thing, then the TV news, newspapers, CC etc etc wouldn't have anything to say, as most people don't want to hear it.

Yes there are some who really will tell you the good things and be honest about it, however the negatives always win out.

Past threads on this site regarding posting positive things have never lasted long, but give the dirt and negatives, and it will go on a long time.

I have not cruised on the Monarch since she left Los Angeles. Yes the ship is older and the cabins small. Many of the problems with the sewer systems are the fault of the passengers. Since many of the cruisers on the short trips are first timers they are careless about the toilet systems. It is important to be very careful about what gets flushed.

I have had quite a few wonderful cruises on the Monarch - and Majesty and Sovereign, her sister ships - and recommend her to you.

My only caveat - are you four going to be in one interior cabin?!?!?!? Or two?

If two, please be aware that in order to change your mind, you will have to go out into the hall.

:D

My only caveat - are you four going to be in one interior cabin?!?!?!? Or two?

If two, please be aware that in order to change your mind, you will have to go out into the hall.

:D

I was thinking the same thing! Sometimes it's not much more $ to get two staterooms (and BATHROOMS... especially with girls!)

As others have said, please take reviews with a grain of salt - you don't the people who are writing them, so you don't know that their expectations are or what they like/dislike.

We were on a cruise in December and I happened to read a review from someone who was on the same week. Their review was so unlike what we had experienced that it was hard to believe that we were on the same ship at the same time.

Go and enjoy!

You took the words right out of my mouth...I always laugh when I read reviews of past sailings...IT IS hard to believe they were on the same ship!!!

We have sailed Monarch (and Sovereign before her) about a dozen times...Monarch has one of the best crews out there...only 2nd to Adventure!!!

Go, have a great time....a girls week away will be wonderful!!!! Dont beleive the negatives.some people will not enjoy the meals in Heaven !!!!!

The cruise industry in general has had a tremendous growth over the past two decades. The reason that I bring this up, is that in the early 1990's (not that long ago) the Sovereign class, which included the Monarch and Majesty, which are still with the fleet today, were, at one time the worlds largest cruise ships.

We love the Monarch and Majesty...having sailed on the Monarch many times when she was based out of Los Angeles, and of late, her sister ship, the Majesty as of December of last year.

I'm one that loves a ship that feels like a ship, and not a floating city or circus. The food is the same, if not a bit better than found on the Allure. Some of the top chefs of Royal Caribbean are found on the Monarch, as they love the ship, as do so many of the crew, that have been with the Monarch for 10 to 15 years, and don't want to move to other ships.

The Monarch was rated the number 1 ship in the fleet last year, by the customers that filled out the questionare given to everyone at the end of the cruise. WOW.......number 1!!

If you think that you picked the wrong ship for your first sailing on Royal Caribbean, I hope to put your mind at ease. We are Pinnacle Club members (which you can look up to see what tier that is), and plan on cruising on the Monarch and Majesty again this year, even tho we live in Arizona.

We have never been treated better by the crew on any ship.......it just seems that the crew of the Monarch goes out of their way to make your cruise more enjoyable.

Want something special for dinner, don't be afraid to ask for it. If you like a shrimp cocktail for dinner every night.......ask the head waiter for it, and you will have it.

I have also met people that have come away unhappy with the ship, and many are unhappy with life in general, and needed something new to be unhappy with.......so they went on a cruise..........and then picked it apart.:rolleyes:

As so many on this thread have said.........If you board with negative thoughts........you probably will not have a great time. If you board with neutral or positive thoughts......the chances of having a wonderful cruise...are far better than 50%:)

I would love to hear back from you after you have taken your cruise......of the pro's and con's, and how much fun your family had.

I took my daughter, son in law, and their two boys on the Monarch two years ago.........and every time that I see them....the boys want to know "when is Grampa taking us on another cruise.......on the Monarch":D;)

Rick

Monarch's crew was the gold standard for the RCI fleet when she was here in LA. She had a complete overhaul when she left us in 2008, and I think you'll find that everything is in great shape. Still miss her...

The ship will be fine But I would never go during spring break on a short cruise...............PARTY TIME for young adults isn't always fun to be around, especially mixed with alcohol.

Or it's a good teaching tool for the kids....

Been on the MN a few times..........it may not have all the bells and whistles of the Oasis,but to me,its all what you make of it............sure the cabins are small,but who really spends all that much time in there on sucha short cruise......

Go with an open mind and you'll all have fun!:D

Please don't let others views make you worry about the Monarch. I tend to over analyze and stress out also about my cruise before I go. But , when I get onboard all of that anxiety is unfounded.

I just took my 3 year old granddaughter on her first cruise on the Monarch in Jan. We are booked on the Freedom in May, so I wanted a short cruise for her to experience cruising before that trip.

And I have created another cruise addict!! She plays "ship" and "pirates" and asks when she can go again.

I enjoyed the Monarch , also, even after having been on the Oasis and the Solstice just recently before the Jan trip. You just have to go with an open mind, realize the ship for what she is, a great ship for a quick get-away.

I thought the staff was great and I also thought the food was as good as if not better than the Oasis.

I took my granddaughter to the production shows (she loved them) . They were not inappropiate. Boring for me, but entertaining for her. I am not sure about the headliner shows as we did not attend those.

As a previous poster stated , go and expect to have a good time and you will. Overlook the small stuff.

Monarch was my first cruise, I have a lot of nostalgia for that ship. If you're first-time cruisers you will be blown away by the experience. A lot of reviewers here have dozens of cruises under their belts and are hyper-critical, liking to pick apart every possible negative aspect of a cruise. I think you'll have a great time, what a great experience for you and your daughters.

I have also met people that have come away unhappy with the ship, and many are unhappy with life in general, and needed something new to be unhappy with.......so they went on a cruise..........and then picked it apart.:rolleyes:

Rick

You said a mouthful, Rick!

thumbsupfinal.gif

My mom, sisters, niece, and I just sailed on Monarch 1/31 - 2/4 and had a wonderful time! We were in three Deck 5 inside staterooms and none of us noticed a sewage smell or had problems with the showers or toilets. The a/c in my stateroom was not working when we first boarded, but I called maintenance right away, and when we returned from the sail away party, the problem was solved! The staff were incredible! I have a high standard as I love the customer service on Disney Cruise Lines, but I have to admit the crew aboard Monarch were just as good as any DCL cruise I have taken...and my mom agreed (she has sailed DCL, RCI, and HAL before...always compared all her cruises to her one DCL cruise! LOL).

As for shows and such, Monarch is a smaller ship, so there is less room. But we always found something to do. My 11-year-old niece was on the rock climbing wall as much as she could get to it! We found the ping pong tables, and could often be found there. The pools were uncrowded later in the day, which was nice. And we participated in the video scavenger hunt (and ended up in 1st place!), which was an absolute hoot! Were there down times? Sure. But we used those times to sit and relax, most often in the Viking Crown Lounge; or to explore the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived