Is this Monarch deal worth taking?

I just booked a cruise on the Monarch for 12/12/2011 beacuse I can honestly say I have never seen a price for a 4 night cruise so low in my life with the resident rate they have on it and got free prepaid gratuities. I'll just say the cost of our upcoming Freedom cruise is over 6 times more than we're paying for this one :p.

I can't decide if its worth taking off time from work for a 4 night Bahamas cruise in December. Is there any chance that it would be laying out weather while in the Bahamas? I've been to Port Lucaya February and it was unusually cold. I'm just torn because its so cheap but I don't want to be disappointed with potentially bad weather. Obviously I can cancel for free for a while now, I'm just wondering if this cruise is worth taking

Opinions?

We did a deal on Monarch a few years back. Something like an SO cabin for $295pp for 4 days. The weather would not have been an issue. The staff and crew jammed seven days of fun in to 4 days. Go for it!

Rick and Deirdra

I just booked a cruise on the Monarch for 12/12/2011 beacuse I can honestly say I have never seen a price for a 4 night cruise so low in my life with the resident rate they have on it and got free prepaid gratuities. I'll just say the cost of our upcoming Freedom cruise is over 6 times more than we're paying for this one :p.

I can't decide if its worth taking off time from work for a 4 night Bahamas cruise in December. Is there any chance that it would be laying out weather while in the Bahamas? I've been to Port Lucaya February and it was unusually cold. I'm just torn because its so cheap but I don't want to be disappointed with potentially bad weather. Obviously I can cancel for free for a while now, I'm just wondering if this cruise is worth taking

Opinions?

December is still really nice weather, this winter was unusually cold and weather was in the 80's about the same week. :D So yes its more than worth it!! The monarch is a great little ship!! I seen some where that it is going in drydock but cant find out what they are going to do to it.

Firefly- We're getting an oceanview room for two for under $500. I would rather have SO, but no resident rate on it and this cruise is just a quick bonus vacation if we keep the booking ;). I think the price is just blowing my mind after paying around ten thousand for a couple of our 7 day cruises with the whole family of 5, so its making me think this is too good to be true ha ha.

I just booked Monarch 4 night cruise for Oct and got a Superior Oceanview cabin for $269pp. I was more than pleased with this deal. Weather was indeed unusual this winter. The ship itself can be a fun adventure with dining, meeting new people, seeing the shows, gambling, drinking, playing trivia, napping in the middle of the day, Quest...and the list goes on. Do it!!!!

December weather can be vary greatly - before heading onto the Allure the 1st few days of December it was hovering in the 80 degree range but when we were heading to the airport 10 days later it was 36 degrees and worried we might not get out of FL because i'm thinking they don't have the gear to de-ice planes there!!

Sadly it was actually warmer in Canada when we got off the plane 6.5 hrs later :(

I just got off of her in December this past year and the weather is perfect!!! You not sweat while walking in port its just warm and perfect I would say this past year on my cruise the Bahamas was around 84-86 degrees,

We took the Monarch this past Dec 3 and I must say I never had such a wonderful group of passengers ever on a cruise, and I have been on 46 cruises in my life! Everywhere we went they were friendly (perhaps something to do with that time of year since there are no kids really at all and many are repeat cruisers, they go each month or so on a cruise) it was like we all were friends or cruises before together. Everybody was friendly extremely friendly! From this experience of not seeing kids running, yelling I never will take another summer cruise again! I will stay with September thru December, would consider January/February as prices are good but its too cool....We had an F2 cabin outside and paid $467.00!! I found many passengers were people that go on her a few times a year too.

The ship was still good, and she is going into dry dock mid this year around May I believe so when you go she had her touch ups! But there was nothing that made me say this is dirty or this is bad or needs to be fixed. The cabins are one of the smallest I ever been on so I not advice this ship to have more than 2 people in a cabin. The bathroom was quite small I can literally sit on the toilet and wash my hands the same time but trust me you do what you do in there and get out! It was fine...the shower only had shower curtains but I never had a "flooding problem" where the toilet area was like I had on carnival cruises. They don't give you shampoo for the hair or liquid soap but you do have bar soaps. I live with medical problems such as fibromyalgia and a rheumatism type and the bedding was excellent and the pillows were nice and comfy just like the newer RC ships. Service was remarkable and the food in the dining room was good. You can choose your dining time or have anytime dining which you choose from 5:30-9:30 pm. Unlike other cruise lines, the buffet lunches still consist of meat carvings, they also contain healthier foods such as veggies and sides as well as the pizza, burgers, etc. What I like about RC is that they not just offer "fast food" type food as the Carnival Fascination did, Carnival only offered one hot dish, one rice/potato and everything was chicken fingers, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, sandiwchs fries which I do not eat. The Monarch had them and healthier foods to choose from in addition always had 4 types of soups for lunch also.

We really didn't do the breakfast as we sleep till 10:00 since being up till 2am or so... so I can't help you there but on the Liberty of the Seas they had all your breakfast items so I am sure the Monarch did also.

The ship is quaint, no lines at all and easy to get on and off, in fact, disembarkation was the easiest and fastest I ever had in the past 15 cruises!

I definately say do go on the Monarch, in fact, we probably be on her in December again this year and if I do not take a week long cruise we may be on her two or three times!

Just returned from the Monarch last Friday after 4 days. I can honestly say that we were very much surprised with the great value of this vacation. It was a last minute decision to take the cruise and a great price. I was a bit concerned that we might be disappointed but it was probably one of our best experiences as far as the cruise staff went. Drew Devine was the cruise director and he was exceptional and really involved in everything; the evening shows were great, especially the singers/dancers; the waiters were eager to please (Shetty was ours) and our cabin was always well taken care of.

The ship is the oldest of the fleet with the youngest captain (Captain Dustin). He was quite visible every day as were the rest of the senior staff.

The ship itself is well maintained; there is only one floor of balconies. On the sea day make sure you get your chair early as it is packed.

Do not bring any alcohol on board. We had two bottles of liquor we had brought in duty free when we entered the US and had it in our checked luggage. When our luggage did not arrive by 5 pm to our stateroom we called and found it the alcohol had to be removed from the bags and they would store it until we left the ship. Not a problem, we knew this was a possibility when we bought the alcohol. We were not the only ones, there were many many bags that were being held for the owners to remove alcohol. DH also said he saw lots of travel irons that were being held.

The food was also good - not exceptional but better than I had anticipated.We had filet of beef which was done as asked - medium rare (it was perfect) and Prime Rib of Beef; the escargot was also really good. If you like seafood, there was a shrimp and telapia tempura dish that was excellent. We had all meals in the dining room when we could.

We had the first dinner seating at 5:45 pm and would have preferred the my time dining (which requires a reservation). It was not possible to make the change from reserved to my time because the ship was full and could not accommodate this change. It is easier to change from my time dining to first/second seating rather than the other way.

I would do this cruise again. What this ship lacks in size and amenities, it makes up for in heart. What a great crew!!

Firefly- We're getting an oceanview room for two for under $500. I would rather have SO, but no resident rate on it and this cruise is just a quick bonus vacation if we keep the booking ;). I think the price is just blowing my mind after paying around ten thousand for a couple of our 7 day cruises with the whole family of 5, so its making me think this is too good to be true ha ha.

Especially if you live close enough to drive down the day before. Airfare is going nuts.

I was on Majesty (same itinerary but reverse order) this past December and it was wonderful when we were at Coco Cay. It was cool but the sun was shining high so it balanced the "feels like" temperature to be a perfect day!

When we were in Nassau (day after Christmas) it rained and was chilly. That's okay though because we didn't plan on it being a beach day, so we took it easy on the ship with everyone off in port.

I don't know what price you paid- but if it's a good deal in your book, then by all means stick with it!

We are thinking of doing this same cruise over Thanksgiving. A little more expensive but it is a holiday. Has anyone cruised over Thanksgiving? We were wondering how it will be.

My FIL lives in Orlando so we will be with him a day or so before the cruise and then after the cruise spend some time with him and some Disney Christmas decorated time. We have already asked him about cruising and he does not want to go on a cruise. We would take my dad (who is 82).

Linda

Yes it is a great little ship and I sailed in October a couple of years ago and I got a inside cabin including tax as a single for $181 it was a great deal.

If you had never been on a cruise before you would not know the difference between Monarch and a new ship, it is in fantastic condition and the crew are great.

Have a great cruise

Brian J

I just booked my parents on a 4 night at the end of September and got an OV guarantee for $219pp! He said it may even go down before then, as it's an "off peak" time. I think your price may even be a bit high except that you have gratuities included. I went in Dec this passed year and it was plenty warm still!

Go for it Baby!

We had a good deal too this January 2011...got a JS for 3 nights with tax, title, dealer prep...cost $489 ttl for two of us.

The JS on the Monarch is fantastic!!! That is... for her age!

We had a great time!!

RCI always delivers......its gravy when you can get a great low price!

I can't wait till I get back on her again, probably after my week cruise this year (not sure which ship and when but hoping I make a week cruise this year) probably will go in early December again like I did last year.

One thing I have to mention about cruising during Thanksgiving week, not sure if you have children or not, mine are grown up so I prefer less kids aboard the cruise....there most likely be alot more kids on board the cruise during Thanksgiving week and also the ship is more likely to be more full if not booked totally. Just something else to consider....

From one Linda to another Lynda, thanks for the info about Thanksgiving. There will be no kids with us but I am sure you are right about there being more kids on board. Don't think this will bother us too much but definately something to consider.

Linda

Archived