Please check your cruise reservation!!!

So, I booked after May, 2010, the price has dropped, I don't want an upgrade, I haven't made my final payment - am I eligible for OBC or a price reduction?

On the FAQs for Best Price Guarantee it reads only price drops within 48 hours of the reservation (which was months ago for me).

I'm so confused. :confused:

You are not alone on being confused. Many of us were/are. :rolleyes:

I booked my cruise on May 23, 2010.

Today there was a price reduction on my cabin for one of my B2B cruises. I called RCCL this AM and the price reduction was taken off of my balance owed for that cruise.

I usually pay off my cruises very early, months in advance. Not anymore with this new rule.

This time I am going to leave a good balance on them until final payment is due. Just in case there are any more price reductions before final payment. ;) If there are, they can take that price reduction off of my balance up until my final payment is due.

Do you think the RCCL will only start dropping the prices after the 'balance due' date. After all, they can then sell the remaining cabins at a lower cost to attract new customers, and they won't have to compensate those who booked early?

Lets hope not, I'm sure they don't want to loose their loyal customers. Thats why booking in the US is so much better. In the UK/Europe you pay a deposit and that's it, your fare is fixed, and if you cancel you loose, if the fare goes down you loose. There again at the moment there are lots of booking incentives such as discounted rates (not allowed in the US) but things are about to change.

I'm going to checking my prices regularly!

I was getting ready to make my final payment on our cruise. We are a good ways away from the final payment being due. I thought that we could get the price drop even if we were paid in full, but were outside of the final payment date. Wow glad I read this today.

Do you think the RCCL will only start dropping the prices after the 'balance due' date. After all, they can then sell the remaining cabins at a lower cost to attract new customers, and they won't have to compensate those who booked early?

Lets hope not, I'm sure they don't want to loose their loyal customers. Thats why booking in the US is so much better. In the UK/Europe you pay a deposit and that's it, your fare is fixed, and if you cancel you loose, if the fare goes down you loose. There again at the moment there are lots of booking incentives such as discounted rates (not allowed in the US) but things are about to change.

I'm going to checking my prices regularly!

This is exactly what they have begun doing. :mad:

Gina

I was getting ready to make my final payment on our cruise. We are a good ways away from the final payment being due. I thought that we could get the price drop even if we were paid in full, but were outside of the final payment date. Wow glad I read this today.

Don't do it. Wait until the day final payment is due. They won't credit your credit card back if you've already paid for your cruise in full.

Gina

There is a price drop just today on one of my cruises. I called....a Friday of all things and it's for new bookings only. It's a balcony sale and final payment is not due. I will be paying $86 more for my room than someone who books today and I booked it last August. :mad:

Booking early doesn't pay unless it will be an extremely popular cruise. Most cruises seem to have price reductions near the end that lock out those who booked early. It happens to me over and over again. :(

Gina

There is a price drop just today on one of my cruises. I called....a Friday of all things and it's for new bookings only. It's a balcony sale and final payment is not due. I will be paying $86 more for my room than someone who books today and I booked it last August. :mad:

Booking early doesn't pay unless it will be an extremely popular cruise. Most cruises seem to have price reductions near the end that lock out those who booked early. It happens to me over and over again. :(

Gina

I second what Gina has said. The last 3 cruises I've been on have had significant price drops one week after the final payment date.

Bob

Don't do it. Wait until the day final payment is due. They won't credit your credit card back if you've already paid for your cruise in full.

Gina

Wow I did not know that either. If outside pentalty phase you can still cancel and re-book if they won't issue you credit, can't you?? PS I realize that you could or would lose your original cabin.

Just last week our September cruise dropped $300 per person! It was a welcome surprise. We've had drops before on previous cruises but never that much.

Makes me wonder if the prices are dropping because people are cancelling since Egypt is one of our scheduled stops.

Gina

I agree. With the rule changes, wait until the day final payment is due. My thought: More cruisers will begin doing this when possible, in order to take advantage of any price drops. Curious if this means less $$ up front for RCI to invest and collect interest on....If yes (Yikes) there might be more changes in store ?

So, I have been watching prices, wondering if they will drop. i am looking at the end of April. When you do book, how long before the cruise date is your final payment usually due?

Called our TA this morning.

We got a price reduction of $340 pp on our Sept. BOS cruise. That's on top of the $600 OBC our TA gave us at time of booking :eek:

I am a very happy cruiser, and a fan of my TA. We did book very early for a prime cabin, and we track cruise prices through an online site the specializes in sending alerts for price drops and increases. Although we did notice the drop thanks to this thread last night, we did receive an e-mail alert this am.

:D:D:D

I know of an airline site, but not a cruise site. :(

The only downside on waiting is if they impose a fuel surcharge but wave it for anyone fully paid.

Is that the rule? I have a 14 night coming up soon. I certainly hope to not get hit with a fuel charge. I am sure that while they anticipated higher costs, probably not this high.

Is that the rule? I have a 14 night coming up soon. I certainly hope to not get hit with a fuel charge. I am sure that while they anticipated higher costs, probably not this high.

No idea - but just a thought as that might be the case.

I know of an airline site, but not a cruise site. :(

The only downside on waiting is if they impose a fuel surcharge but wave it for anyone fully paid.

Posting guidelines do not allow us to post recommendations.

Do a search on Google for "cruise price alerts". You'll find it.

Wow I did not know that either. If outside pentalty phase you can still cancel and re-book if they won't issue you credit, can't you?? PS I realize that you could or would lose your original cabin.

I'd like to believe we could demand the difference credited back to our card. But it has been often reported that only OBC is issued if final payment has been made. I've never made final payment until less than 24 hours until it's due.

Gina

Called our TA this morning.

We got a price reduction of $340 pp on our Sept. BOS cruise. That's on top of the $600 OBC our TA gave us at time of booking :eek:

I am a very happy cruiser, and a fan of my TA. We did book very early for a prime cabin, and we track cruise prices through an online site the specializes in sending alerts for price drops and increases. Although we did notice the drop thanks to this thread last night, we did receive an e-mail alert this am.

:D:D:D

I've noticed the alert site monitors senior prices, too. But what about residency and military prices? I see no sign of them there. How is this handled when paying for the monitoring service which I won't name? ;)

Gina

I've noticed the alert site monitors senior prices, too. But what about residency and military prices? I see no sign of them there. How is this handled when paying for the monitoring service which I won't name? ;)

Gina

Hmmmmmmm ........

I don't pay a thing for the site I use :confused:

Archived