The Nutrasweet Conspiracy!

dawnprincess

I realize this probably will seem like a very insignificant issue, but I found it quite strange. DH and I recently returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess. (No complaints about anything! One of the nicest cruises we've taken by far.) While in the Horizon Court, I was getting ready to put Splenda in my iced tea when I happened to look at the packet more closely and read Nutrasweet Yellow. Hmmm....then chose a pink packet and instead of Sweet & Low it read Nutrasweet Pink. Of course the blue packets were marked Nutrasweet as you would expect. Here's my beef ... I really don't mind if Princess has decided to exclusively feature Nutrasweet artificial sweetener for the entire fleet (just like some restaurants only serve Pepsi products and others Coca Cola). But putting the Nutrasweet into packets disguised to look like the other sweetener products seems a bit underhanded to me. Any thoughts? (In the past I've had some problems finding Splenda on various cruiselines and usually take a plastic baggie filled with Splenda packets from home just in case.)

Thanks so much for the head's up! I am a strictly Splenda user and will be cruising on the Sapphire in September and Emerald next February. I will be sure to bring an ample Splenda supply from home for each cruise!

I believe that is how Nutrasweet sells them -- I don't think princess had special packaging done. I have seen the yellow and pink nutrasweet in many hotel buffets, etc. Its a good reminder to always read and look at the label!

I realize this probably will seem like a very insignificant issue, but I found it quite strange. DH and I recently returned from a 10-day Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess. (No complaints about anything! One of the nicest cruises we've taken by far.) While in the Horizon Court, I was getting ready to put Splenda in my iced tea when I happened to look at the packet more closely and read Nutrasweet Yellow. Hmmm....then chose a pink packet and instead of Sweet & Low it read Nutrasweet Pink. Of course the blue packets were marked Nutrasweet as you would expect. Here's my beef ... I really don't mind if Princess has decided to exclusively feature Nutrasweet artificial sweetener for the entire fleet (just like some restaurants only serve Pepsi products and others Coca Cola). But putting the Nutrasweet into packets disguised to look like the other sweetener products seems a bit underhanded to me. Any thoughts? (In the past I've had some problems finding Splenda on various cruiselines and usually take a plastic baggie filled with Splenda packets from home just in case.)

I noticed that too on my last cruise. But, if memory serves, the ingredients in Nutrasweet Yellow were the same as Splenda... and Nutrasweet Pink was the same as Sweet 'n Low.

I didn't like the generic raw sugar as much as the old brand...

I noticed that too on my last cruise. But, if memory serves, the ingredients in Nutrasweet Yellow were the same as Splenda... and Nutrasweet Pink was the same as Sweet 'n Low.

I didn't like the generic raw sugar as much as the old brand...

Not sure about the yellow but the press relase from Nutrasweet said that the pink did not have saccarin.

Below is from post #62 on the following thread.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195482&page=4

OK, I need to update this. I was wrong. After looking very carefully at the packets last week on my latest cruise, the ingredient label shows what you would expect it to show:

Although all the packets are labeled Nutrasweet Brand,

The Yellow packets are indeed sucralose,

The Pink packets are indeed saccharine,

The Blue packets are indeed aspartame.

All of the above are mixed with maltodextrin, but that is to be expected.

So, please excuse what I said before....I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I will be on the Sapphire in less than four weeks and can check what she is carrying.

Quote: Just off the Diamond in Asia. The yellow packets were regular Splenda, with the trademarked name printed on it just like at home. The pink one was an actual Sweet and Low product. Didn't look at the blue packet.

That's very interesting. Will be curious to see whether it will eventually happen throughout the fleet or not.

I was on the Grand in Feb. and found the same thing - 3 different colors that I was supposed to think were the real thing. They didn't work like the real thing for me. I wrote a note and turned it in to the PS desk asking about it and didn't even get a reply. All three colors of packets have the Princess name on them and I didn't think any of them worked as well as the products they are supposed to be copying.l I guess in the future I'll have to carry my own with me.

We were on the Crown last week and when I reached for the "Splenda" I noticed "Nutrasweet" on the back. Same with the blue, but I thought that the pink was Sweet n Low. Last summer on the Coral I am pretty sure that they had Splenda because I never used my "supply" from home. Anyway, I am going to take my own next time, just to be sure.

I noticed on our December cruise after reading about the controversy here. But as IECalCruiser reports, they were made by Nutrasweet but had the right ingredients in them.

I gave up artificial sweeteners last year, so it did not bother me. I started by switching to unsweet tea, then by cutting out diet soft drinks (actually, all soft drinks). I was finally able to go sweetener free with my hot tea when I switched over to drinking green tea.

Lets hope for some GREEN (Stevia) packets to show up in the near future:D so we can avoid the chemicals entirely..

I am not sure you can mention chemicals. My earlier post and others were deleted for such a transgression!

I prefer to stick with raw can sugar.

Archived