US or CA currency

We will be in Sdyney, Charleston, and Halifax, do we need to get some CA $ or will our US $ be accepted? No problem either way, just need to know if I should hit the ATM in our first Port?

It would be best if you hit the ATM since you will be in at least 3 different Canadian cities. PS I presume you mean Sydney NS and Charlottetown PEI.

The only legal currency in Canada is the CAD$. That being said, most merchants will accept USD, but they will often discount it. The current exchange rate is 3% in our favour. Meaning that each CAD$1 you get USD$1.03, or for each USD$1 you get CAD 98c. Some merchants may give you 1:1 (par) and others may give you 90c on the dollar.

When it comes to certain services, CAD are only accepted. For example, in Montreal we accept US coins at par, but public transport will not accept USD.

If you have them Capitol One and USAA offer the best exchange rates. Also, be aware that cards with the MasterCard/Visa logo are strictly processed as credit cards in Canada. If you want to use our debit card system, you need a card on the NYCE network with no credit card affiliation. (It relates to anti-trust in Canada.)

The only legal currency in Canada is the CAD$. That being said, most merchants will accept USD, but they will often discount it. The current exchange rate is 3% in our favour. Meaning that each CAD$1 you get USD$1.03, or for each USD$1 you get CAD 98c. Some merchants may give you 1:1 (par) and others may give you 90c on the dollar.

When it comes to certain services, CAD are only accepted. For example, in Montreal we accept US coins at par, but public transport will not accept USD.

If you have them Capitol One and USAA offer the best exchange rates. Also, be aware that cards with the MasterCard/Visa logo are strictly processed as credit cards in Canada. If you want to use our debit card system, you need a card on the NYCE network with no credit card affiliation. (It relates to anti-trust in Canada.)

Just to clarify, you are referring to using a debit card for purchases, yes? (as opposed to at an ATM)

We always get Candian money when we go to Canada. I know that very few places in the US will accept Canadian money, so I think it would be rude to go to Canada expect Canadian merchants to accept US money.

...so I think it would be rude to go to Canada expect Canadian merchants to accept US money.

Well, it's also an inconvenience, I think, for merchants. We love American visitors and welcome them to Canada; many of the border cities in Canada will accept US dollars as a courtesy. But if possible, Canadian money is preferred. If you spend your US here you will most likely get Canadian change; very few merchants have two tills (I've only seen one merchant in my whole life, and that was a border town).

Just to clarify, you are referring to using a debit card for purchases, yes? (as opposed to at an ATM)

We always get Candian money when we go to Canada. I know that very few places in the US will accept Canadian money, so I think it would be rude to go to Canada expect Canadian merchants to accept US money.

I am speaking ONLY of debit card for purchases. ATM functionality remains the same.

In Canada we do not allow a debit card to be branded as MasterCard or Visa because of anti-trust issues. We therefore do not have a debit/credit button on our processing machines, so the card number determines if it's credit or debit. This also holds true for any use of the card. For example, people who rent bicycles in Montreal are shocked to find out that they are in overdraught simply because the company put a $250 hold on their card. For us, it's a credit card and therefore simply means attaching a hold on available credit. With debit cards this might actually incur charges for being overdrawn in the US system.

Interac, our national debit card system has in place an agreement with NYCE in the US, exclusively.

Incidentally, we still don't know what will happen in 2012 in regards to ATMs, since our ATMs and Debit cards are supposed to switch over to EMV for all debit and ATM functionality.

Picture1.png

Thank you for that sentiment. It's much appreciated. Please pass it on to your fellow US travelers. :)

I am speaking ONLY of debit card for purchases. ATM functionality remains the same.

In Canada we do not allow a debit card to be branded as MasterCard or Visa because of anti-trust issues. We therefore do not have a debit/credit button on our processing machines, so the card number determines if it's credit or debit. This also holds true for any use of the card. For example, people who rent bicycles in Montreal are shocked to find out that they are in overdraught simply because the company put a $250 hold on their card. For us, it's a credit card and therefore simply means attaching a hold on available credit. With debit cards this might actually incur charges for being overdrawn in the US system.

Interac, our national debit card system has in place an agreement with NYCE in the US, exclusively.

Incidentally, we still don't know what will happen in 2012 in regards to ATMs, since our ATMs and Debit cards are supposed to switch over to EMV for all debit and ATM functionality.

Picture1.png

Thanks for the explanation. My bank's debit cards have been visa cards for years. I think most of the big banks here are allied with Visa or Master Card. It just keeps getting more complicated...

We will be in Sdyney, Charleston, and Halifax, do we need to get some CA $ or will our US $ be accepted? No problem either way, just need to know if I should hit the ATM in our first Port?

I just want to give a security hint about ATMs. Go for ones owned by the big banks. You won't need to walk far to find one. The generic ones are noted for problems, and if you have one, there is nobody to complain to. They also add in fees on top of what your bank charges.

So, what to look for? TD/Canada Trust (green machines), ScotiaBank (red), CIBC (red/yellow and they have them at 7/11), BMO (blue) plus local credit union ATMs.

Viv

Thank you for that sentiment. It's much appreciated. Please pass it on to your fellow US travelers. :)

You're welcome. I do try to avoid the "ugly American" behavior that I have observed in my travels. We did a river cruise in the Netherlands a few years ago. One afternoon, at tea, I heard a man complaining because a merchant in the small town where we were docked wouldn't take dollars. He was already cranky, so I didn't pass on my feelings on the matter.

Out of the USA in Canada or Europe I always pay with the AMEX card. Let them do the conversion.

That's all well and good, until you want to get on a bus, buy stamps or go to businesses that don't accept Amex. (And many don't.)

Let's take public transit and since I'm in Montreal, I used that as an example. Buses are not allowed to accept anything other than coins (no bills at all!) The automated machines in the metro can accept CAD or credit cards, but they will not only not take Amex, they won't even accept US credit cards. The cashiers are not supposed to accept USD at all. So you have to pay in CAD.

All federal and provincial governments including museums only accept CAD as well.

It's nice in theory, far from a reality. And we haven't even discussed the problems with not having EMV (Chip and Pin) and the problems with MC and Visa Debit Cards in Canada.

Going through DH's "stuff" the other day, we found foreign currency from his years of business travel - 30 years ago. One item was a $2 Canadian bill. I know that you have the $1 and $2 coins now. Would this bill still be accepted by Canadian merchants? Thanks.

Barbara

Going through DH's "stuff" the other day, we found foreign currency from his years of business travel - 30 years ago. One item was a $2 Canadian bill. I know that you have the $1 and $2 coins now. Would this bill still be accepted by Canadian merchants? Thanks.

Barbara

Hey, I am just up the road at Fort Mohave...leaving for home in Canada on Wednesday...you could send it to me and I will look after it for you.:D

Our Canadian change will work in your parking meters. Just remember at the moment our Canadian dollar is worth more than your US dollar and if you use US money in the stores, they do not give you as good of an exchange. I honestly would go to an ATM and get some Canadian money because they will give you a better exchange than your own bank will.

I used US currency with no problem, but be aware that you will only get Canadian change, which is no good back in the US. So it is helpful to have singles & if you get useless change, you won't be out alot of cash. :p

Exactly who's currency are you calling 'useless'. I'd like to remind you that 1 C$ is worth more than 1 US$

:D

First I should say that I believe that, generally, you should get foreign currency whenever leaving your country. ATM's are the best place to obtain currency. Using Amex or many other credit cards for purchases outside of the U.S. will incur a foreign transaction (up to 3%).

I am taken aback by the post from the person in Vancouver. We live 22 miles from the Canadian border (British Columbia) and about 45 miles from Vancouver. Every month approximately 60,000 Canadian's are welcomed into Bellingham to do their shopping (where, according to many, the prices are very cheap). The majority of the stores in Bellingham do accept Canadian currency. By the same token, when we cross the border for lunch, the U.S. dollar is accepted.

People who try to use U.S. currency in foreign countries are not necessarily "rude". Rather, they are uninformed and perhaps have not traveled internationally before. Even on CruiseCritic, posters mistakenly tell people that there will not be a problem paying with U.S. currency. IMO, it is better to give the expectation that it will not be accepted so that the traveler is prepared.

I am taken aback by the post from the person in Vancouver...

Several people in this thread are from Vancouver. Next time would you mind quoting them? No one will mind and it makes it easier to address the issue and the specific comments. :)

...By the same token, when we cross the border for lunch, the U.S. dollar is accepted.

Yet you advocate obtaining and using the currency of the country where you are spending. Don't you agree that Canadian merchants would prefer to be paid in Canadian dollars? I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by your comments.

The posts on this thread are starting to get quite useless and more than a little off topic but I do think the way ScottB worded his post opened up a whole can of worms - what to do with the coin you accumulate when you visit a foreign country - I have a small jar full of pesos, east Caribbean country coins etc from my various cruises - while they are basically useless to me here in Canada it doesn`t mean that the currency of those countries is useless.

Perhaps we can agree on this statement

GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Cheers

Dennis

Archived