Think twice before flying with US Airways

mpillen

OP's story should be at the top of this forum in a sticky illustrating why cruise air may not be the best choice, and why one should always travel with a passport.

Those who are stuck on PRICE wouldn't listen anyhow. 500 people missed their Star Princess cruise due to their d*** consolidator tickets. Even 500 people doesn't matter to those who buy strictly on price. I flew into Santiago two days after the earthquake for business (the ship was still in Valparaiso). I had an AA ticket originally. They gladly got me on the LAN flight to Mendoza with a free bus into Santiago.

LAN put on quite a few extra flights to Mendoza so people could get to Santiago. It did those with cruise air tickets NO GOOD unless they were willing to pay almost as much as the original tickets cost. It's all in the fine print.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The airline did not really lie to you. You COULD have flown to the Bahamas. BUT to re-enter the USA on a cruise ship, you would have needed a passport. You were NO LONGER on a closed loop cruise that would have allowed just a BC/DL.

I almost hate to bring this up, as it probably will just be salt in the wound for the OP, but if Bahamas allows (or would have allowed) them to fly in with just their ID and proof of citizenship, they all had sufficient documents to return via cruise ship. Passport cards are accepted for one-way travel by sea or land between the US and Caribbean/Canada/Bermuda/Mexico. OP was supposed to be on the Oasis, and the ports were all in the Caribbean basin. :o

Yes it was cruise air and I had no idea those tickets had restrictions. Wow!

I assume you booked cruise air because it was cheaper? Anyone tempted to do likewise would do well to remember that if something is cheaper, there's usually a good reason.

Sorry the OP missed her cruise, but perhaps her example will help someone else avoid the same mistakes.

I almost hate to bring this up, as it probably will just be salt in the wound for the OP, but if Bahamas allows (or would have allowed) them to fly in with just their ID and proof of citizenship, they all had sufficient documents to return via cruise ship. Passport cards are accepted for one-way travel by sea or land between the US and Caribbean/Canada/Bermuda/Mexico. OP was supposed to be on the Oasis, and the ports were all in the Caribbean basin. :o

But the airline had no way of knowing if the OP would have made the ship and since a US citizen needs a passport to return from the Bahamas, it is logical to see why they required a passport.

For the price difference between a passport book and a passport card, I honestly don't understand why anyone would choose a passport card,

What does this have to do with cruise air? A mechanical can happen any time, any airline. Do you think just because you buy a ticket directly from the airline that you would NOT be subject to mechanical or weather delays?

What does this have to do with cruise air? A mechanical can happen any time, any airline. Do you think just because you buy a ticket directly from the airline that you would NOT be subject to mechanical or weather delays?

With cruise air the ticket is NON ENDORSABLE, this is a significant difference.

You are missing the entire point of this thread. There are less than 40 posts, go back and read the ENTIRE thread.

Additionally, the tickets were NON REROUTABLE. The OP was "held hostage" until there was a flight to PHL on US. Both conditions of consolidator/bulk purchase tickets were fulfilled that way-OP was NOT rerouted nor put on another airline.

But the airline had no way of knowing if the OP would have made the ship and since a US citizen needs a passport to return from the Bahamas, it is logical to see why they required a passport.

For the price difference between a passport book and a passport card, I honestly don't understand why anyone would choose a passport card,

Ferry service runs between Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale six days a week. They could have taken that back if it were a question of missing their ship in Bahamas. Flying back is not the only option, and on a ferry, a passport card is accepted.

If there was a question of their flight missing the ship in the Bahamas (and we don't know if that was the case) they could also have flown from FL to their second port, St. Thomas, and still had half of their cruise. Indeed, most travel insurance policies require that you make attempts to reach the ship if half of the cruise or more remains.

I agree that the passport book is the far better choice if you are going to purchase a passport document.

.I skimmed your article...

Thus missing this:

When we boarded flight 9010 and started talking to other passengers this is when we discovered that many other passengers were accommodated on other flights and their luggage was released. If we would have been accommodated we could have made it to FLL to catch our ship.

Yes, and the crew can time out or other delays can happen. Of course, the type of tickets you purchase has nothing to do with this. What is has to do with is how the airline accomodates you when these cancellations/delays occur. In OP's first post she states other passengers were accomodated on other flights, but she had to wait.

... the tickets were NON REROUTABLE. The OP was "held hostage" until there was a flight to PHL on US. Both conditions of consolidator/bulk purchase tickets were fulfilled that way-OP was NOT rerouted nor put on another airline.

In OP's first post she states other passengers were accomodated on other flights, but she had to wait

Ferry service runs between Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale six days a week. They could have taken that back if it were a question of missing their ship in Bahamas. Flying back is not the only option, and on a ferry, a passport card is accepted.

US was correct in denying boarding of this flight, as two of the party didn't have passports. They had no way of knowing what would happen when OP arrived in the Bahamas. Since she was no longer on a closed-loop cruise, she couldn't re-enter the US at the end of the cruise without a passport, even if she caught up to the ship.

A passport book is mandatory for all travelers flying to a foreign port to begin a cruise.

From the Department of State's website...Again we were lied to by US Air...

Travel by Air: All U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport in order to enter or re-enter the United States when travelling be air. U.S. citizens do not need visas for short trips to The Bahamas for tourist/business purposes. It is important to note that although the Bahamian government only requires proof of citizenship and identity in order to enter The Bahamas, the U.S. government requires that Americans have a valid passport in order to fly home. Most airlines will not permit a U.S. citizen to fly to The Bahamas without a valid U.S. passport and risk getting stranded.

It is very confusing, you did not know you needed a passport and thought that the postcard would work. The Airline did not lie to you; a person that worked for the airline did not know the difference between a postcard and passport.

Do you say "I lied" every time you said something that turned out not to be true?

You did not tell the agent that a postcard would not work, so you lied to the agent. Is that correct?

There probably was no way of knowing if the luggage released was for domestic flights or international flights.

As for cruise air accommodation, come on. Some tired gate agent is not going to take the time to see if these were cruise tickets, booked directly, or otherwise. At that point, it's to get people accommodated and on their way. There may not been anything open to Nassau, no seats available or other reasons why they weren't assisted immediately.

Cruise air, whether you are a fan or not, had nothing to do with these people's problems.

As for cruise air accommodation, come on. Some tired gate agent is not going to take the time to see if these were cruise tickets, booked directly, or otherwise. At that point, it's to get people accommodated and on their way. There may not been anything open to Nassau, no seats available or other reasons why they weren't assisted immediately.

Cruise air, whether you are a fan or not, had nothing to do with these people's problems.

I can't disagree with you more strongly.

All a gate agent has to do is look at the "fare code" in the reservation system and know exactly what kind of ticket you purchased and what benefits you are or are not allowed.

Happens to me all the time. I need to change flight or schedule (even when I'm half way through a trip) and they know immediatly whether A) It's possible based on my fare code, B) Any change fees based on my fare code C) Upgrades based on my fare code, and D) yes, reroutes or anything else,,,all based on fare codes.

Absolutely true - but with fare codes anywhere from Q to H to B to S, etc., etc., the cruise consolidator fare can be booked in any of these and I can GUARANTEE you they don't have the time, nor the will, to look up every single rule. The fare bases are you travelling on are very common and one wouldn't have to even look those up to decide options.

I believe the last poster before me said something about the agent not taking a liking to the posters and I was going to say that, too, but avoided that - it happens.

I think you are right and I don't know why. We were polite and nice. :confused:

It sounds like the first guy you encountered took an instant dislike to you and actually hindered you :( Sorry you missed your cruise.

I didn't know and I asked, a supervisor was called and asked and I was told that I could travel on the passport card. So call it whatever you want.

It is very confusing, you did not know you needed a passport and thought that the postcard would work. The Airline did not lie to you; a person that worked for the airline did not know the difference between a postcard and passport.

Do you say "I lied" every time you said something that turned out not to be true?

You did not tell the agent that a postcard would not work, so you lied to the agent. Is that correct?

I booked everything through Royal because I didn't know any better. I thought it was better to just let them handle everything.

I assume you booked cruise air because it was cheaper? Anyone tempted to do likewise would do well to remember that if something is cheaper, there's usually a good reason.

Sorry the OP missed her cruise, but perhaps her example will help someone else avoid the same mistakes.

I booked everything through Royal because I didn't know any better. I thought it was better to just let them handle everything.

Most people don't know, and I am really sorry this happened to you. OP - why didn't the two people with passports take the flight and the cruise? You are out so much money!

Looking back, they should have.

Most people don't know, and I am really sorry this happened to you. OP - why didn't the two people with passports take the flight and the cruise? You are out so much money!

Honestly, we were totally stunned we didn't know what to do in the situation. It just sucked.

Honestly, we were totally stunned we didn't know what to do in the situation. It just sucked.

I can honestly understand that.

10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago,, it could have been me. I just didn't know then what I know now.

Since she was no longer on a closed-loop cruise, she couldn't re-enter the US at the end of the cruise without a passport, even if she caught up to the ship.
You are wrong here. The passport card is also accepted for one-way cruise or ferry travel from the Caribbean.

Archived