Think twice before flying with US Airways

mpillen

They had RCCL insurance. Who knows whether this solution would have been covered???

At some point you have to consider booking alternative airfare. Travel insurance will probably pay a dollar amount which will offset some of the cost.

My point is the OP could have been in a similar situation if the flight was booked on Jet Blue or Southwest.

I'm not sure why ferry service is continually mentioned. There currently is no ferry service between Florida and Nassau. This was never an option for OP..Sorry, forgot to add, are you talking about a Discovery cruise that leaves from Ft. Lauderdale?.
That is what I was thinking of. While it optimistically called a 'cruise line', they even label themselves ferry service in their own website.

After reading all of the posts here about if you can in fact fly to Nassau, we decided to contact the Department of State. When we told our story she wanted to know what airline issued us boarding passes on a flight to Nassau. You absolutely cannot fly without a passport. While Nassau does not require a passport the United States does require it.
This answer you were given made me go back and research the question some more:

From: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

Travel by Air: All U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport in order to enter or re-enter the United States when travelling by air. U.S. citizens do not need visas for short trips to The Bahamas for tourist/business purposes. It is important to note that although the Bahamian government only requires proof of citizenship and identity in order to enter The Bahamas, the U.S. government requires that Americans have a valid passport in order to fly home. Most airlines will not permit a U.S. citizen to fly to The Bahamas without a valid U.S. passport and risk getting stranded.

The key in this statement is that State specifically mentions only returning to the US by air, not departing the US OR returning by other means. (Bolded sections). And while it could be (very) difficult to convince an airline to change their policy, the fact that this is even mentioned in the State Dept. website implies that it is possible, however likely or unlikely. I presume this to be the source of Greatam's first post that this was possible. (And for long-time readers of this board, you know that she has international flight knowledge and expertise well beyond that of even the most frequent flyers).

BUT-there's always a but-I also went back to the original Federal Register publication of the final rule, (Vol 71, No. 226), the CFR (22 CFR part 53.1), and the original US Code (section 7209(b) 8 U. S. C. 1185), from whence the State Dept. and DHS derives its authority. Those regs clearly state both departure and entry of US citizens by air are covered by the passport requirement. The only exception for this type of flight is in cases of humanitarian need, which frankly is only given in life or death situations, as covered by two Executive Orders. (And to be complete, there do exist a few other uncommon situations that would allow other documents, such as a NEXUS card on a flight from Canada to the US, but that is not applicable to a flight to the Bahamas).

So, it appears that you would not have been able to fly to the Bahamas after all. :(

You still could have flown to St. Thomas, but that is a separate post and discussion.

In regards to the ferry: I sent an email to one of my interns that works in the NY office for details.

In March, my two interns (20yo females) and one of my owner-operators took a load to Florida. The three of them took some kind of ferry/cruise ship/gambling ship to the Bahamas. The ladies stayed there for 3 days, Mike came back the next day. It was their spring break and they wanted to go someplace very, very cheap but "exciting". The ride down was free with a guy they both have the hots for (he is a cutie, even from this 62 yo lady) and I heard them bragging about having a fantastic spring break for less than $500 total. I do know they had passports as my admin helped them get the paperwork together. And it seems to me there was mention of the "old tugboat" vs the "high speed luxury boat".

When I find out how they got there and how they found out the info, I will post it.

Most likely would not have helped the OP out in the least but may be helpful for someone else.

cherylandtk,

VERY confusing rules for the Bahamas that you posted. Just my thoughts-a scheduled airline out of a major hub most likely would have refused passage due to the fact that the airline is responsible. But I do know for a fact that some of the air taxi's/private charters allow you to fly without a passport (or they did in 2009). We had to get convention materials into the Bahamas for a large trade show. Sent the stuff down via truck. The driver went to the Bahamas via the Yellow Taxi along with trade show materials to make sure the end delivery was completed. I know he did not have a passport. The NY office was trying to get his BC from Vital Check a few days before he arrived in Florida. I am sure he got on the plane with just his DL/BC because he can't cross the border into Canada-no passport/passport card. This incident sticks out in my mind because we had never sent trade show materials to the Bahamas and there was a lot of logistics planning to do to find the end carrier who could deliver to some resort and set up the food/brochures, etc.

My point is the OP could have been in a similar situation if the flight was booked on Jet Blue or Southwest.

Yes, you could. But there are no cruise air tickets that I know about which are issued on Southwest or Jet Blue. And that is the crux of the problem for both the OP and others who book cruise air consolidator class tickets. WHEN there is a glitch in your air-whatever it may be-you most likely WILL NOT be accommodated on another airline, you WILL NOT be rerouted and you will WAIT for space available seating on your original routing. You are at the bottom of the barrel for rebooking.

As so vividly pointed out in the OP, you very well COULD miss your cruise and loose a lot of money, particularly if you also purchase the cruise line insurance with the package.

Passengers who heed your suggestion and book their own air might book Southwest or Jet Blue for a cruise that embarks in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Those passengers will wind up with tickets which can't be endorsed over to other carriers.

The OP said to think twice before flying with US Airways. First problem is the OP (actually the cruise line which booked the flight) cut it too close. The second problem is the OP (through the cruise line) booked a category of fare which put the OP on the "end of the line" to be accommodated.

RC says:

When you reserve your cruise with Royal Caribbean, we can also handle your air arrangements. Our air arrangements offer a seamless, worry-free way to get from your home airport to the cruise ship and back again.

Unfortunately the cruise line is allowed to imply something a level of service they're not actually providing.

Yes, you could. But there are no cruise air tickets that I know about which are issued on Southwest or Jet Blue. And that is the crux of the problem for both the OP and others who book cruise air consolidator class tickets. WHEN there is a glitch in your air-whatever it may be-you most likely WILL NOT be accommodated on another airline, you WILL NOT be rerouted and you will WAIT for space available seating on your original routing. You are at the bottom of the barrel for rebooking.

As so vividly pointed out in the OP, you very well COULD miss your cruise and loose a lot of money, particularly if you also purchase the cruise line insurance with the package.

Yes, you could. But there are no cruise air tickets that I know about which are issued on Southwest or Jet Blue. And that is the crux of the problem for both the OP and others who book cruise air consolidator class tickets. WHEN there is a glitch in your air-whatever it may be-you most likely WILL NOT be accommodated on another airline, you WILL NOT be rerouted and you will WAIT for space available seating on your original routing.

The one exception to this rule appears to be for return flights after the cruise. When we sailed the Pacific Princess and disembarked almost a day late after a transatlantic to FLL, those of us who booked our own flights had to do a mad rush in order to call or go online and change our tickets. Those with EZAir or Cruise Air didn't have to do anything but let the cruise line take care of it. The purser's office did remove charges from our account for using the internet or phone to make arrangements.

Perhaps the best choice, if it were possible, is to book your own air pre-cruise and use cruise air post-cruise. ;)

By the way, for those who tend to knock cruise line insurance, Princess Care (through Berkely) did pay for our rescheduled flights even though we did not book our air through Princess.

The poster, greatam, has a child who had problems with cruise air and she goes off on tirades about it whenever and however she can. It is a tool to be looked at, for sure, and it may not be the best, but for some people, it may. There never is a pat answer for everyone. Obviously, there are thousands that use it and have no problems.

The poster, greatam, has a child who had problems with cruise air and she goes off on tirades about it whenever and however she can. It is a tool to be looked at, for sure, and it may not be the best, but for some people, it may. There never is a pat answer for everyone. Obviously, there are thousands that use it and have no problems.

Oh PLEASE. It has nothing to do with what my step son went through. I already had tickets held for him on AA from CID but some travel agent in Cedar Rapids Iowa who booked the cruise convinced him that booking the cruise air package was a FAAAAR superior way to go. Obviously, it wasn't and he missed 1/2 of his cruise, ruined his wedding and ran up a LOT of hotel and rental car bills when he was stuck at LAX.

Just too many people BELIEVE the cruise line will take care of them. They also BELIEVE their tickets are just the same as what they would book directly from the airline, with the same rights and privileges. Cruise air tickets are NOT what they appear to be on the surface.

You are a travel agent. You would most likely help your clients through an ordeal of missed flight/missed connection/cancellation, etc. etc.. Those booking with online agencies and through Choice Air/Princess EZ Air don't have that backup and very few have the expertise to negotiate the system to their benefit. They get left behind.

All the better to deal with a travel agent, don't you think??!!!

I always check all the various ways to get air, be it with a cruise or with something else. There are SO many variables, that it is impossible to always say one is better than the other.

Never a pat answer for ANY OF THIS!! People searching for answers here expect a pat and dry answer that a fare, and rules, will be the same 3 months from now, 6 months etc. and they just don't get it that it doesn't work that way.

And, oh, yes, will I be able to make that 3:00 pm flight from FLL??

I spend many, many hours researching and planning trips. I would love to turn all this work over to a travel agent, if I could find a good one, who knew what they were doing. Any tips on how to find one?

The one exception to this rule appears to be for return flights after the cruise. When we sailed the Pacific Princess and disembarked almost a day late after a transatlantic to FLL ...

Why were you doing a trans Atlantic on the Pacific Princess? Do you do a trans Pacific on the Atlantic Princess?

Why were you doing a trans Atlantic on the Pacific Princess? Do you do a trans Pacific on the Atlantic Princess?

Probably not, but perhaps trading a Ruby for a Diamond?? I mean, Gold IS at $1500/ounce! Precious stones will be soon to follow!

Probably not, but perhaps trading a Ruby for a Diamond?? I mean, Gold IS at $1500/ounce! Precious stones will be soon to follow!

No, no, trade a Sapphire for a Diamond, as the Sapphire Princess was the Diamond Princess, and vice-versa (and this isn't even made up...!)

No, not really. There is a big long thread on the NCL board about a pax who had to make their final payment, and the travel agent was no where to be found. All the layman need to do is read the fine print the same way the travel agent does. It is all in black and white.

I always check all the various ways to get air, be it with a cruise or with something else. There are SO many variables, that it is impossible to always say one is better than the other.

Never a pat answer for ANY OF THIS!! People searching for answers here expect a pat and dry answer that a fare, and rules, will be the same 3 months from now, 6 months etc. and they just don't get it that it doesn't work that way.

And, oh, yes, will I be able to make that 3:00 pm flight from FLL??

I'm in a much better position to help with any air problems - do it daily, it seems. As for air, there are companies the average person can't access. I can contact a sales rep with any special requests or problems, provide some added amenities, etc., etc. That mess with the original posters not having passports would have never happened.

I don't know about your experience, but most posters on these boards don't have a clue.

With cruise air the ticket is NON ENDORSABLE, this is a significant difference.

Although it's non-endorseable, there are a number of alternatives that the OP didn't persue in an effort to self-help.

The first thing they should have done was to go to the US gate for the next flight to MIA, WPI, or even TPA or MCO and attempted to secure seats on one or more of those flights. As long as they landed at MIA or WPI by 3:00 pm they could have rented a car and made it to the port in time.

I am a platinum on US Air and they aren't perfect, but neither are any of the carriers. When faced with this type of challenge, the first thing I do is look at the departures board and see what alternate flight I might persue towards getting closer to my destination.

Although it's non-endorseable, there are a number of alternatives that the OP didn't persue in an effort to self-help.

The first thing they should have done was to go to the US gate for the next flight to MIA, WPI, or even TPA or MCO and attempted to secure seats on one or more of those flights. As long as they landed at MIA or WPI by 3:00 pm they could have rented a car and made it to the port in time.

I am a platinum on US Air and they aren't perfect, but neither are any of the carriers. When faced with this type of challenge, the first thing I do is look at the departures board and see what alternate flight I might persue towards getting closer to my destination.

But non only were the tickets non-endorsable, I believe the OP's tickets were such that they couldn't be re-routed, either; they had to fly via PHL. And maybe she wasn't in a position where she could afford to come out of pocket for brand new, last minute tickets.

I just wanted to share with you the US Air has compensated me to my satisfaction. They will refund our ticket prices $387.00 x 4 plus $200.00 x 4 vouchers for a future flight. We haven't made a decision if we will use the vouchers or not but it was a nice gesture to give them another chance.

Our next step is to file our claim with the insurance company and after that see if Royal will do anything for us. We hope to be able to salvage our vacation this summer.

Thank you to everyone that commented and gave awesome tips and advice.

Marlene

I just wanted to share with you the US Air has compensated me to my satisfaction. They will refund our ticket prices $387.00 x 4 plus $200.00 x 4 vouchers for a future flight. We haven't made a decision if we will use the vouchers or not but it was a nice gesture to give them another chance.

Our next step is to file our claim with the insurance company and after that see if Royal will do anything for us. We hope to be able to salvage our vacation this summer.

Thank you to everyone that commented and gave awesome tips and advice.

Marlene

Hey Marlene: Definitely GO, and use those vouchers! If there's one thing you can learn from this thread, it's that this situation could have occurred on any airline. The problem resulted from purchasing highly restrictive cruise air tickets.

But non only were the tickets non-endorsable, I believe the OP's tickets were such that they couldn't be re-routed, either; they had to fly via PHL. And maybe she wasn't in a position where she could afford to come out of pocket for brand new, last minute tickets.

Actually they are not re-routable should the reroute be at the request of or for the convenience of the pax. However when there is an equipment problem that causes the reroute, the carrier will waive a variety of restrictions in order to re-accommodate the passenger. Read the contract of carriage.

In a case like this, self help is absolutely the best help. Like I said, I've got a high FF status with them, and I still help myself rather than relying on the airline when my flight is cancelled or substantially delayed.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually they are not re-routable should the reroute be at the request of or for the convenience of the pax. However when there is an equipment problem that causes the reroute, the carrier will waive a variety of restrictions in order to re-accommodate the passenger. Read the contract of carriage.

In a case like this, self help is absolutely the best help. Like I said, I've got a high FF status with them, and I still help myself rather than relying on the airline when my flight is cancelled or substantially delayed.

There are so many valuable lessons to be learned here, especially about the pitfalls of using cruise air. This should be required reading for people who are new to cruising and those who want to fly in the day of. But I have flown and cruised in the past, and some of this was news to me.

And who would expect their flight from LAX to Philadelphia to land in Omaha in the middle of the night:eek:? Luckily they were ok! I guess you have to be prepared for anything!

There are so many valuable lessons to be learned here, especially about the pitfalls of using cruise air. This should be required reading for people who are new to cruising and those who want to fly in the day of. But I have flown and cruised in the past, and some of this was news to me.

And who would expect their flight from LAX to Philadelphia to land in Omaha in the middle of the night:eek:? Luckily they were ok! I guess you have to be prepared for anything!

At least the flight ended at an airport. Many times after mechanical trouble the flight ends at an off airport location.

Archived