First cruise comments

DDDDale

We just finished our first cruise on the Sapphire to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas (4/9/11 - 4/16/11) so I thought I'd write some comments that might be helpful to other first time cruisers. I learned SO much from this site and I am very grateful for the knowledge shared by those who have logged lots of nautical miles over the years.

We drove to LA (San Pedro) and parked in the lot. That was easy and after a very short walk to the terminal the rest of the embarkation process was fast and easy too. That was the first time I thought "that was TOO easy." Well, I found throughout the cruise that everything was easy. It's like they've done it before! I knew all about the ship from my online studies so finding our cabin (E731, AD mini) was also easy. We immediately met our steward, William, and I asked for a top sheet for the bed and wine glasses. He was terrific throughout the cruise. It seemed like whenever I used a towel and turned my back it would be magically replaced by a fresh one before I turned around again.

We bought Ultimate Kids Program stickers and learned quickly that we had to ask for LARGE diet cokes or we would get the small ones routinely. Even though I had studied the deck plans for months I still had difficulty figuring out in which direction I was walking on Lido deck. I had to check the water flow to figure that out. We ate breakfast every day in the Horizon Court rather than the dining room and had anytime dining for dinner. We made table for two reservations for 5:45 in the Savoy dining room the first night and walked right in. Fortunately we were taken to Gabriella and Vic's table. They were fantastic and we asked for them when we ate at the Savoy twice more later in the week. We wanted to check out the Santa Fe and Pacific Moon so we made reservations there (for 5:30) but the service there was not as good as what we got from Gabriella and Vic. Since we ate early there was never a wait and only once was there a line when we were leaving after eating.

The food in the dining rooms was good to excellent depending on the dish. The breakfast food in the horizon court was pretty good. There were some afternoon buffets outside the HC that were also pretty good. On various days there was Italian, Mexican and Asian food. We liked the hamburgers and hot dogs but I was a bit disappointed in the pizza. One thing I had EVERY afternoon (since we had the UKP sticker) was a milk shake. I'm sure I gained about 5 pounds and I attribute it to those milk shakes. Four scoops of ice cream in every glass. I tried the soft serve once and I don't know what that stuff is but it isn't ice cream. By the way, I had read a LOT about the coffee and found that the horizon court coffee was okay, and, even though I've read that it's the same syrup coffee, what they serve in the dining rooms tastes better. I'm just sayin.

The cruise director was Tim Donovan and he was really a hoot. Being our first cruise we had nobody to compare him with but I thought he was terrific. He's a very funny guy. The "ultimate deck party" that they put on one night was really a lot of fun. Tim dancing around on a platform with a bandana tied around his head, a tight tee shirt encapsulating his ample girth, leading the hundreds of revelers in spelling out YMCA with their arms while the Village People's old "standard" blasted over the speakers and then leading them in doing the Macarena and Going to the Hukilao are sights I will not soon forget. His deputy, Sam, was very likable and looked smashing on formal nights. They made a good pair and seemed to be enjoying themselves too. There was always some kind of musical presentation going on someplace and it made just walking around enjoyable.

One thing I didn't like were the never ending sales pitches for Diamonds International and other stores in the ports. There was a gathering in the theater that was supposed to be about the ports and shopping but turned out to be just a sales pitch for a few particular stores. It was really annoying. I'll know better next time.

We had never been to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo so we looked forward to seeing them. In PV we took a van to the Malecon ($3 each) and walked the length of it and then around the downtown and old town area. We then walked back to the ship. It was quite a hike and a milk shake sure helped in the recuperation process. In Cabo we just walked around the marina and town the first day and took a bus tour to San Jose del Cabo the second day. We liked San Jose and wished we could have spent more time there. The Cabo area is beautiful but I have no desire to return. Saying "no thanks" to hundreds, maybe thousands, of guys selling fishing boat services and cigars etc. etc. etc. and enticing us into the restaurants/bars got really tiresome and detracted from an enjoyment of the marina area. In the downtown area it was marginally better but still it was like running a gauntlet. I thought it would be better when we returned in the evening but it wasn't. I know they depend on tourist dollars for their livelihood and I can't blame them for doing what they do but it sure is annoying.

One place I wanted to go to in Cabo was Gordo Lele's for beef tocos. I had read about his place here and was determined to find it. It wasn't easy but we finally found it and I have to tell you, if I hadn't read the reviews here I would never have considered going inside. It was, I'm searching for a word, okay, a dump. And the fat guy with the plastic shower cap dozing in the chair outside did not enhance the ambiance. However, we threw caution to the wind and approached. Javier woke from his doze, invited us in and made our tacos. He is a really nice and friendly guy and the tacos were TERRIFIC. Best soft taco I've ever had. Then we wanted to have a margarita and settled on a place right on the marina. We told the waiter we wanted a GOOD margarita; one with more than a thimble full of tequila in it and real lime juice rather than sugar water. It was good albeit rather expensive ($12.50 each) and just sitting there and watching the boats and people was very relaxing. We decided to return to the ship (I need my milkshake) and walked to the tender area. We saw a very long line of people with hundreds of people and had an "oh no" moment but then heard someone say that it was the line for the Carnival ship. We just walked up to the Princess area and got on the tender. It was SO easy.

We returned to Cabo later because we wanted to buy some vanilla and see how it was in the afternoon. When returning to the ship by tender we wanted to do it when it was getting dark in order to see the Sapphire with its lights on and other lights in the harbor. We got on a blue leased tender boat (not from the Sapphire) and before we got underway a group of four large obviously inebriated women got on. They seated themselves in the handicapped area right next to the steering wheel, or whatever it's called. They were still partying and whooping it up and taking photos of themselves. I'm fine with that since I was once a party animal myself and when I saw one of them at the wheel (after we started off toward the ship) I wasn't concerned because I thought it was just a brief photo op. However, when she actually started turning the wheel and screetching I got more concerned. All four wanted turns driving the boat and the two guys who were supposed to be doing the driving seemed okay with it in exchange for a bit of touchy feely action. I could see all this going on through the hole between the back and middle sections and others probably had no idea what was going on. It was getting dark, various boats were coming into the harbor and we had 4 drunk women (not that it would have been better with 4 drunk men) steering the boat. In fear for my life I stuck my head through the hole and sobered them up.

I bought an internet package (I had to keep up with my fantasy baseball teams) and it was slow, of course, but acceptable. I made sure to use every minute and not one minute more.

We did self debarkation and, again, that was way too easy. We took our luggage to the Explorers Lounge, waited about 5 minutes and then walked off the ship. Even going through Customs, Immigration or whoever they were was easy. We walked across the street put the luggage in the trunk and were on our way within 30 minutes of leaving our cabin. Incredible.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable week and we look forward to doing it again (to another destination). If I had to pick one thing that I liked more than any other it would be sitting on our very spacious balcony and reading, having an adult beverage, having a snack, watching the sunrise/sunset, watching the ocean, listening to the water etc. etc. We loved that balcony and want E731 (or its equivalent) on all future cruises. We also loved the Terrace pool area. So, our thanks to cruise critic contributers for preparing us properly for our first cruise.

Gee, this was a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Dale

Thanks for the info, I have never been on a Princess cruise before but we are going to the Caeeibbean in Oct. If you have any other little bits of info I would greatly appreciate it. Again many thanks

Glad to hear you had a great cruise.

On shorter cruises, the "port lectures" are sales pitches and are given by shop personnel or the CD's staff. It's unfortunate but if you're on a longer or exotic cruise, there are real port lecturers, who are independent contractors, who talk about the port, history, geology, etc. and little about the shops. I've had some that were fabulous.

Can you give me approximate directions to Taco place? REmember pricing? Going Cabo in a few weeks, Thanks, glad you had a great cruise.

I don't know street names but if you walk past the entrance to Cabo Wabo you then make the next right and then the next left and it is next to the Los Millagros Hotel. The tacos were $1.50 each and quite substantial; lots of steak with some slices of fresh avocado. I'm getting hungry. There are beatle photos all over the walls. If I were ever to return to Cabo I would definitely go there again.

Thanks for the info, I have never been on a Princess cruise before but we are going to the Caeeibbean in Oct. If you have any other little bits of info I would greatly appreciate it. Again many thanks

One thing I didn't mention that came as kind of a shock to me (although it shouldn't have) was the automobile/pedestrian relationship in the port cities. I'm used to the pedestrian having the right of way (in my city, militantly so) so without thinking about it I just expected that to be the case everywhere. In PV I saved one woman from becoming a hood ornament when she started crossing the street and a driver had no intention of stopping. I had to grab her arm and pull her back. In Cabo a guy in a wheelchair would have been mowed down but for a cop who forced a car to stop for him. I don't know what the roads are like in the Caribbean but I would think that it's closer to the way things are in Mexico than in US cities.

I enjoyed your review and I'm glad you had a good first cruise. The beginning of an addiction . . . don't say you weren't warned.

I would like to hear how you "sobered up" the four drunk women . . . did you heave them overboard? 'Cause I'd pay to see those photos!

So they sell the "Ultimate Kids Drink Cards" to adults now? (or whatever they call them) I thought they were for anybody 21 and under. (unless the OP is 21 or under) Can you please clarify this?

I believe it is advertised as being for kids from two to 102 (or something similar).

We are thinking of purchasing the ultimate drink card for our 15 year old son on our upcoming AK cruise. Can anyone / everyone please give more detail about exactly is included for the price and what the price is? I read somewhere mention of canned root beer included. Is it actaully worth the additional cost over the soda sticker? We will be buying that for sure.

Gee, this was a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Dale

That always seems to be the way it is. You get re-living the experience and there is just so much you remember.

I assume it is just a matter of time before you book your second cruise. It took us about 2 months after the end of our first cruise.

Glad you had a great time. Please share photos if you have any.

We are thinking of purchasing the ultimate drink card for our 15 year old son on our upcoming AK cruise. Can anyone / everyone please give more detail about exactly is included for the price and what the price is? I read somewhere mention of canned root beer included. Is it actaully worth the additional cost over the soda sticker? We will be buying that for sure.

Ultimate Drink Card:

Smoothie's

Soda's

Milk Shakes

Virgin Cocktail Drinks

Hot Chocolate

Price is $7 per day plus 15%.

I am sure a 15 y/o woud drink more than $8.05 per day! :-)

Janet

One thing I didn't like were the never ending sales pitches for Diamonds International and other stores in the ports. There was a gathering in the theater that was supposed to be about the ports and shopping but turned out to be just a sales pitch for a few particular stores. It was really annoying. I'll know better next time.

Really? When I was on the Ruby, we had a similar presentation. I actually found it to be great, because the person who gave the presentation told us which vendors to avoid and which to use, and explained Princess had a relationship with certain vendors. DH had been insisting on buying me an engagement ring (we've been married for almost 7 years, but it's always bugged him, bless his heart) and we got a great price on one at Diamonds International.

Glad you had lots of fun! Like someone mentioned above, it's addictive. DH and I are planning our third cruise for next year and I can't wait!! :D

the person who gave the presentation told us which vendors to avoid and which to use, and explained Princess had a relationship with certain vendors.

o The relationship is one in which the vendors pay Princess (via the shopping company Princess uses) a commission of all sales to Princess passengers.

o The vendors that you are told to avoid are the ones that do not pay a commission to Princess.

o The guarantee of satisfaction that Princess offers is essentially worthless. It guarantees that the quality is as described. It does not guarantee that the product is worth what you paid for it. To take advantage of the guarantee, you must, within 30 days, have the item appraised (at your expense) by a certified appraiser not associated with any jewelry company.

o I am happy that you are happy with your DI purchase. Their merchandise is as it is represented to be. You may or may not have paid more than you could have elsewhere for the same quality item, but the important thing is that you are satisifed with the price you paid.

I went on this cruise and am doing it again. My mom and I really loved San Jose del Cabo. It reminded us of our trips to Mexico when I was younger. We would go to little towns with the squares. We were there for Christmas and it was decorated so beautifully. I didn't like Cabo san Lucas and hope that Mazatlan is back on the agenda when I go at Thanksgiving. If not, I will spend the time on the ship. Thanks for the review.

o The relationship is one in which the vendors pay Princess (via the shopping company Princess uses) a commission of all sales to Princess passengers.

o The vendors that you are told to avoid are the ones that do not pay a commission to Princess.

o The guarantee of satisfaction that Princess offers is essentially worthless. It guarantees that the quality is as described. It does not guarantee that the product is worth what you paid for it. To take advantage of the guarantee, you must, within 30 days, have the item appraised (at your expense) by a certified appraiser not associated with any jewelry company.

o I am happy that you are happy with your DI purchase. Their merchandise is as it is represented to be. You may or may not have paid more than you could have elsewhere for the same quality item, but the important thing is that you are satisifed with the price you paid.

You could be right, I don't remember all the details now. However, I will say that I don't remember it being like that at all. But yes, we are very happy with our purchase. :D

Archived