Agressive Peddlers in Canada?

We're going on our first cruise to Canada & Nova Scotia in May. We've only been to Mexico in the past. At every port there are peddlers who "attack" you trying to sell their wares. I've been pulled into stores by aggressive salesmen! I hate it! Will this type of behavior be found in Canada & Nova Scotia?

Thanks!

We're going on our first cruise to Canada & Nova Scotia in May. We've only been to Mexico in the past. At every port there are peddlers who "attack" you trying to sell their wares. I've been pulled into stores by aggressive salesmen! I hate it! Will this type of behavior be found in Canada & Nova Scotia?

Thanks!

Absolutely not. That hard sell doesn't work with Canadians, so we don't bother doing it. Most Canadians shut down if you push aggressively like this.

On the other hand, if you forget to say please, thank you and excuse me, you might get a few odd looks.

We used to have an ad on TV for one of the banks where the main character walks by someone and says "excuse me". Even in ads we are polite.

I have found the people at the port area in Saint John and Halifax to be among the friendliest people I've met. In five cruises I've yet to see the "hard sell" - the closest I've seen was a guy in period costume handing out brochures for Keith's Brewery in Halifax. (We went - it's a great tour.:))

Maam,

Wait till you are there .. it may be like the Wizard of Nova Scotia will beam ya aboard..

The, Good/Great, Character of people in the Province of Nova Scotia..well all of Canada's Provinces are not like any State in Mexico .

I hope you make it to P.E.I and Charlottetown, that's where the Confederation began and they joined even after it was formed there.

I do think you are going to drop a jaw and be astounded how nice, pleasant and you I think may go back many many times it your able to afford it.

Character made well does not just happen, it is a very direct result of upbringing as well reflection from learning Maam.

May you, if you do go, have a wonderful and safe cruise and when you return please write a review.;)

Thanks!

Thank you all for the replies. I am so happy to hear that Canadians are friendly, polite and will not manhandle us. I'm from Kansas, I was taught to say please, thank you, excuse me, etc. and expect the same. (Oh my, am I getting old? LOL! Maybe just tired of rudness? :o )

17 days and counting!

Thank you all for the replies. I am so happy to hear that Canadians are friendly, polite and will not manhandle us. I'm from Kansas, I was taught to say please, thank you, excuse me, etc. and expect the same. (Oh my, am I getting old? LOL! Maybe just tired of rudness? :o )

17 days and counting!

Then you will LOVE Canada. I have only been to Acapulco, so maybe that's an unfair example of Mexico, but I have no desire to go to Mexico. On the other hand, I can't wait to go to Canada again (Oct)!!!

And no, you're not old. But I can't blame you for being tired of rudeness.

Archived