One thing I shouldn't leave out of carryon

phinn

Flying for the first time to our cruise destination. Leaving WPB Florida and flying into Vancouver. Both of us are allowed a carryon and I'm wondering for those of you who are seasoned flyers, what is one thing I should not leave out of my carryon? We have one layover in Houston and we are flying in the night before so I will have access to main luggage before we board. I know our meds and camera equipment, but I'm wondering if there would be other things I should consider. Appreciate any feedback.

Flying for the first time to our cruise destination. Leaving WPB Florida and flying into Vancouver. Both of us are allowed a carryon and I'm wondering for those of you who are seasoned flyers, what is one thing I should not leave out of my carryon? We have one layover in Houston and we are flying in the night before so I will have access to main luggage before we board. I know our meds and camera equipment, but I'm wondering if there would be other things I should consider. Appreciate any feedback.

Jewelry or other valuables. I had an item stolen that I had placed in my garment bag. Never got it back.....:(:(:(

Bob

We always have at least one change of clothes, including underware and pajamas. Enough toiletries to get you through a day or two. Also, pack your heaviest stuff in the carry on to keep the weight down in your checked bag.

We were left "naked in Dallas" one year by American Airlines. They sent our luggage home and we were stranded in Dallas. What a pain in the behind!!

We figure that the time we pack everything in the checked bag will be the time our luggage gets lost!

Your passport and other identification

I actually did forget my passport once. Lucky for me, I drive to the port and I realized this the night before (spent night at DD house as we were both going). My DH drove 1/2 way down to meet me with it (about 45 minute for both of us). That's number one on my list now!

As mentioned - passport, jewelry, and MEDICATION (if you take any!!)

also anything heavy - SHOES!! - especially men's they usualy weigh a ton! Remember - most times they don't weigh carry-ons!! (wear your heaviest pair!! and any extra jacket you might be taking - less weight & room in your luggage!!)

A change of clothes at least - last summer - Baltic Cruise - I got my checked bag on the 4th day!!! I was SO happy my carry-on contained a formal outfit + all my "jewels"!!!

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Everything that you consider absolutely essential and enough clothing to get by for a few days and nights, just in case your checked luggage doesn't make it.

Remember that in addition to your carry on you are also each allowed one "personal item" which can be a big shoulder bag that holds a lot of stuff.

I actually did forget my passport once. Lucky for me, I drive to the port and I realized this the night before (spent night at DD house as we were both going). My DH drove 1/2 way down to meet me with it (about 45 minute for both of us). That's number one on my list now!

We did too and we were flew from Chicago. You can read about our mis-adventure here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712650

It was harrowing to say the least. We will never forget them again!

Everything you need for 2 days plus 1 night including sleep clothes,slippers shoes bathing attire cover all and flipflops Makeup brushes small tootpaste and tiny tolietries in a clear plastic bag for security I carry a purse with passports .documents and moola

Candies Kleenex book or magazine plus my heated rollers ,meds over counter meds

Hat sunglasses camera charger

Umbrella in side pocket or thin raincoat

if flight is long FOOD or snacks

I always pack my makeup in our shared carryon--don't use that much but would hate to be without it. We travel light so we usually only pack an extra pair of undies, along with jackets and the camera. One thing we always throw in is a pair of cushy socks to wear on the plane for longer flights--much more comfortable that keeping our shoes on when traveling from the West Coast to Europe, for instance.

We always have at least one change of clothes, including underware and pajamas. Enough toiletries to get you through a day or two. Also, pack your heaviest stuff in the carry on to keep the weight down in your checked bag.

We were left "naked in Dallas" one year by American Airlines. They sent our luggage home and we were stranded in Dallas. What a pain in the behind!!

We figure that the time we pack everything in the checked bag will be the time our luggage gets lost!

And, to answer a related question you did not ask . . . be sure to "cross pack" your checked luggage. None of this his bag and her bag - two our bags. Better to each have limited clothing than to have one of you "nekkid" all cruise.

Prescription eye glasses. A friend had packed hers in the lost checked bag. She only had her contacts and couldn't see a thing when she took them out.

Important to pack an extra pair of contacts in the carry-on:).

We went to Ireland two years ago for twelve days. DH and I each had a carry-on and wore back packs and wore our jackets until we got on the plane. We didn't check anything.:D

Ladies, instead of carrying big purses a back pack works better and carries more - stick a very small soft purse that will fold in your carry-on or back pack (or checked lunggage).

Copies of your passport and other form of ID as well as receipts for all prepaid reservations and services. I also now, (after learning the hard way) carry a list of what is packed in each of our checked bags along with a description of the bag itself ie. brand, colour and size.

little headphones for the plane's entertainment system - works on your iPod or mp3 as well. Also After being stranded with a dying cell phone & flight changes to make, I will never again fly without my cell phone charger.

Take anything with you that you would not like to lose or would be hard or impossible to replace - jewellery, passports, identification, medication, camera memory cards. After a cruise this year in February, we visited friends in Costa Rica. We had ALL of our luggage stolen from the hire car when we left it for 20 minutes. We were left with the clothes we were standing in. But even though I was so angry and upset, it was just all clothes and shoes. Everything of real value was on us and in our day packs, including our passports and all of the camera memory cards containing our Galapagos photos. And even though this was stolen out of a car, and not lost from an airplane, I have learnt not to let anything out of my sight that I would not want to lose.

Copies of your passport and other form of ID as well as receipts for all prepaid reservations and services. I also now, (after learning the hard way) carry a list of what is packed in each of our checked bags along with a description of the bag itself ie. brand, colour and size.

This is very true. If there is a problem with a reservation of some sort you have the documentation. We always carry a small folder with all our reservation confirmation and documents in either our backpacks or carry-on luggage. That's a must item that does not go in checked luggage.

Another good thing to do is to put the phone numbers of all the hotels/excursions/car rental agencies in your cell phone. That way you don't have to look them up if you have a problem.

The easiest answer is: anything valuable [eg jewellery, laptop, etc], anything irreplacable [eg prescription medication, etc] and anything you need in the journey [eg book, ebook, etc].

Then, space allowing, I prefer to carry any other electrical items [to avoid having my check-in luggage searched in transit].

With all that, we do not have space for more than a change of underwear!

Sue

PS Another poster mentioned toiletries - remember that most airports will not allow liquids [including gels and the like] in containers larger then 100ml.

if you wear glasses, one extra pair.

sunglasses, specially if costly ones

a copy of documents (passport/creditcard)

phones

electronics (chargers)

.........PS Another poster mentioned toiletries - remember that most airports will not allow liquids [including gels and the like] in containers larger then 100ml.
Good reminder to divide them up into small bottles and jars. We have seen many large bottles and jars confiscated at security, and a woman in tears over losing an expensive new bottle of perfume.

We currently have 10 small bottles and jars in one zip-lock bag and 12 in the other. So with 22 bottles and jars between 2 people, we can easily carry on all the cosmetics and toiletries we need for at least a week even if our checked bags never show up.

Although carrying on a 6 ounce bottle of liquid or gel is prohibited, several 3 ounce bottles of the same product are fine. We just follow the rules like everyone else. Ours is not to reason why......

Archived