Lack of shuttles on Eurodam

It has come to the attention of some VERY savvy and independent cruisers on our sailing on June 3, 2011, that NO SHUTTLES will be offered to those CUSTOMERS who opt out of the shore excursions. This was confirmed by HAL today May 19, 2011. This is in spite of the fact that the moorings HAL has chosen are often far away from the cities we hope to visit. ie: for Copenhagen we are docking at Frihavn not Langelinie. I have seen unfavorable reviews on this website due to this lack of service, so if you are contemplating a cruise and are an independent traveler keep this in mind. FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED!!

We never count on cruise line provided shuttles and make independent arrangements.

Sometimes the port will provide a shuttle, either for a price or complimentary but with the price of fuel being what it is, I wouldn't count on it.

In my 400+ days on HAL there have been very, very, very few HAL shuttles. Most shuttles I am familiar with were run by the Port or the city/town of the Port. Some free, some for a modest fee. Some ports allow independent tour operators to drive to the ship, others keep them outside the Port land. Ports sometimes offer the shuttles as folks are not allowed to walk in the port area. In those cases independent travelers simply arrange to meet their tour operators at the gate. Any experienced tour operator will know if such an arrangement is necessary.

I do remember the days in the 80s when free shuttles were almost a given in each port - but that is unfortunately history in my experience.

In my 400+ days on HAL there have been very, very, very few HAL shuttles. Most shuttles I am familiar with were run by the Port or the city/town of the Port. Some free, some for a modest fee. Some ports allow independent tour operators to drive to the ship, others keep them outside the Port land. Ports sometimes offer the shuttles as folks are not allowed to walk in the port area. In those cases independent travelers simply arrange to meet their tour operators at the gate. Any experienced tour operator will know if such an arrangement is necessary.

I do remember the days in the 80s when free shuttles were almost a given in each port - but that is unfortunately history in my experience.

Very very true. If we are doing independent tours, we always arrange our own transportation as well ;)

HAL contracts to deliver you to the port. At that point what you do, or don't do, is up to you. Some ports offer free shuttles, some have a paid shuttle and some have none. C'est la vie.

Many cruisers do not have the advantage of your experience. This info is not found clearly in any of the HAL website, therefore it is possible to imagine that some travelers might be disconcerted to discover that this seemingly basic service is not offered--even for a fee.

To Shoppern, HAL , in all probability, doesn't provide that information -because it changes often. It also depends on where you are. In Europe gasoline prices are considerably higher than here [western USA] and we found MORE RECENTLY, that there was a fee for ALL shuttles; in EVERY port [Mediterranean area] And I think the fee is determined by a number of factors; NOT just one. The OP was giving a GOOD warning -Sapper was saying "He's correct; we were JUST there" - This is no one's FAULT except the economy right now.........;)

Anne

of all the lines i sail on, it is very rare that shuttles are offered. it is not just hal.

as others have said, sometime the local port does have ones for a small fee. sometimes there is also a sterns shuttle that take you to their jewelry store, then you are free to wander on your own.

true - newbies to cruising won't know this as it probably comes as a surprise when they dock far outside of town.

You'd think it would be in HAL's interest to have pax get off the ship in ports. It saves on food costs, wear and tear on the ship, HVAC, and allows the cruise line to schedule some badly needed crew R&R. Of course, they would get some income from the bars, and spa paid services for people staying on. :o

In Europe it may be required by the port that the port, or the city, or some other agency provide shuttles if there are to be shuttles. The cruise line may not be allowed to provide them.

If the port, or city or some other agency provides the shuttle, it is up to them to charge or not charge.

Many cruisers do not have the advantage of your experience. This info is not found clearly in any of the HAL website, therefore it is possible to imagine that some travelers might be disconcerted to discover that this seemingly basic service is not offered--even for a fee.

Most cruisers, new and old, KNOW to read what is and is not included in all their excursions and or ports. This info is CLEARLY found listed under the excursions for each port that each cruise ship stops at and is listed under the More Details, if it is not stated in the brief synopsis.

The most important words to look for with each excursions are: TOUR INCLUDES: Round trip transportation from.......

It is not experience, it is basic common sense.

Joanie

We usually do research on Cruise Critic and travel books and find our own ways in ports where we do not take excursions . Some cruise lines might provide shuttles but their prices for the cruise as a whole are much more expensive. By using the Roll Call board on CC you can connect with others who have the same interests as you and share rides and tours. You have an advantage being a CC member to have this connection.

P.S: Scandinavian ports were much more expensive for everything a few yrs ago when we took a Baltic cruise. I can only imagine what prices are now. We found it a good idea to plan our meals ahead of time also. Having some small meals or snacks of traditional food on shore and eating larger meals on board is a good idea.

I agree that not many ships provide this service and it shouldn't be expected.

It's still a nice warning/reminder, though, for new cruisers.

Not all cruisers take shore excursions, and many (especially first time cruisers to Europe) have no idea that ports like Civitavecchia and Livorno are an hour or more from Rome and Florence, respectively. They may think they can get off the ship, hop on a brief shuttle, and be there.

That is the beauty of Cruise Critic---we can all learn from one another, whether experienced or not. Hopefully as a result of this thread some new cruisers will take a closer look at their port plans and not be disappointed when they arrive. They may be disconcerted to find that shuttles are not always a given, but they won't arrive unprepared.

It amazes me how we managed for all our European trips and cruises long before I ever heard of Internet. Somehow we accumulated the information we needed, went off on our trips and had great time. How did we accomplish that? :D

When we boarded our first cruise ship, we barely knew anything about cruising but we sure did learn fast. :)

Before the internet -- we just picked up all kinds of books and read whatever we could about each port/city.

and I still do ;) cc is a great help but I still like to do research. Planning is half the fun:D

One service HAL could provide is somehow posting information on which ports do have shuttles so people can prepare accordingly. Maybe it could be like the T they put on the itinerary for tenders.

Kirk

One service HAL could provide is somehow posting information on which ports do have shuttles so people can prepare accordingly. Maybe it could be like the T they put on the itinerary for tenders.

Kirk

While that sounds like a good idea in theory, imagine what will happen if and when a local authority decides not to provide shuttles after all, or charge for what they told a cruise line would be a free shuttle.

Before the internet -- we just picked up all kinds of books and read whatever we could about each port/city.

and I still do ;) cc is a great help but I still like to do research. Planning is half the fun:D

I still have our Michelin, Fodors and Frommers books of our favorite countries and cities on the shelves of our bookcases.

I used to love pouring through them to decide which hotels, sights and attractions, restaurants and, of course, shopping were on the 'must do list'.

For years, I saved Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure magazines with articles we wanted to refer back to. I don't even subscribe to them anymore.

Do Frommer and Fodors still public travel books? How about Michelin green? Do they only publish Michelin Red now or not even that?

I still have our Michelin, Fodors and Frommers books of our favorite countries and cities on the shelves of our bookcases.

I used to love pouring through them to decide which hotels, sights and attractions, restaurants and, of course, shopping were on the 'must do list'.

For years, I saved Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure magazines with articles we wanted to refer back to. I don't even subscribe to them anymore.

Do Frommer and Fodors still public travel books? How about Michelin green? Do they only publish Michelin Red now or not even that?

Yes they both still publish. They are often reasonably priced on line at Amazon or when on hand at Costco:)

It amazes me how we managed for all our European trips and cruises long before I ever heard of Internet. Somehow we accumulated the information we needed, went off on our trips and had great time. How did we accomplish that? :D

Back then everything changed much more slowly ... especially prices ... and books did not go obsolete so fast. Today a 2 yr old guide book can be almost useless in some cities.

In 30 years, I have really never seen a free shuttle..... If you dont take a ship tour its always been the plan to organize your own.... whats changed?

Second, its really not in Holland Americas best interest , or any other line to offer free shuttles. That encourages people to not take ship tours rather than take them. Tours are a large part of the revenue for the cruise.

Plus ,they can make more money keeping you on the ship than letting you off. It's not true they save. much in anything..alll staff has to work, all systems have to run, food cooked....

Look at the trend of having more sea days to keep passengers spending confined to the ship and not squandering it ashore.... except in the company run jewellery stores which have sprung up!

For the very economic fares one pays it seems that attracts a customer who expects more and more as he pays less and less...

Archived