How to ask an Officer to join your table?

canadianbear

Exactly...and to give them perhaps a nice break away from their daily routines to spend time with our family and maybe, just maybe, make them feel for a couple of hours like they are part of our family.

I just didn't know how to go about it but am sure someone that has done this will pipe in.

What a wonderful idea. The next time I'm in a restaurant, I'm going to ask that the sous chef or hostess to join our table. Just to give them a break from their regular duties and have them feel like they are a part of our family. :rolleyes:

I certainly hope that your message is presented with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek.

Isn't it obvious that the smiley face with the enormous grin indicates that the poster intended the comment as a joke?

PS - Was it really Lady Astor who first spoke the memorable line? I've heard it attributed to others as well.

Isn't it obvious that the smiley face with the enormous grin indicates that the poster intended the comment as a joke?

PS - Was it really Lady Astor who first spoke the memorable line? I've heard it attributed to others as well.

i'm not sure how credible this is, but here is a link to an article about dining with the captain. it mentions lady astor's comment:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tTEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=lady+astor+dining+with+the+help&source=bl&ots=09u7ojl-SL&sig=sN-r0KrLCUux323L1X9bHQk49X0&hl=en&ei=_cbrTdfgAafg0QG6u4GlAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=lady%20astor%20dining%20with%20the%20help&f=false

thanks so much. Wow, it's a good thing I've only dined with the captain once:D Reading over the 'rules' and etiquette I think I mucked it several time. :eek: I turned to the gentleman on the right not the one on the left:eek:

Oh well, it was a nice night and I doubt it will ever happen again - but I'll eat with the help any day;) it ws a very nice experience

Kazu..... It's called turning the table.

The lady should chat with the gent on each side. After chatting with one for a while, find the right moment to start catting with the gent seated on other side. It is rare for couples to be seated beside each other though we have noticed they have mixed that up a bit lately. Same as times have changed and all things formal have 'loosened up' in recent years. I suppose it is more appropriate for our more casual style, these days.

An opportunity to dine with any of the ship's officers is always a treat. We always appreciate such invitations and enjoy the evening immensely. What is interesting to us is we have dined with Captains on "X", Princess and HAL and on each cruise line, the basic format for the evening is exactly the same protocal. Guests meet in a named lounge, are introduced to each other by Maitre d' /dining room manager or ship's hostess, Captain joins the group. All have a drink and then proceed to dining room. Maitre d' or Asst Dining room manager or such will seat everyone. It's a wonderful 'tradition at sea'.

[i didn't click the link provided above so don't know if any of this was discussed in the link.]

Kazu..... It's called turning the table.

The lady should chat with the gent on each side. After chatting with one for a while, find the right moment to start catting with the gent seated on other side. It is rare for couples to be seated beside each other though we have noticed they have mixed that up a bit lately. Same as times have changed and all things formal have 'loosened up' in recent years. I suppose it is more appropriate for our more casual style, these days.

An opportunity to dine with any of the ship's officers is always a treat. We always appreciate such invitations and enjoy the evening immensely. What is interesting to us is we have dined with Captains on "X", Princess and HAL and on each cruise line, the basic format for the evening is exactly the same protocal. Guests meet in a named lounge, are introduced to each other by Maitre d' /dining room manager or ship's hostess, Captain joins the group. All have a drink and then proceed to dining room. Maitre d' or Asst Dining room manager or such will seat everyone. It's a wonderful 'tradition at sea'.

[i didn't click the link provided above so don't know if any of this was discussed in the link.]

Thanks Sail, actually the article said to start with the gentleman on one side, never said the other. but it was probably old protocol.

so, I guess I wasn't so bad since I did talk to people on both sides.

thanks for the defnition. i never knew that was what it was called - makes sense.

We'd love to do it again. anytime, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon ;) Just the same we enjoy our cruises;)

I have had the good fortune of being able to dine with a Chief Engineer, a Second Officer, and, three times, the ship's doctor. Only once with the ship's doctor did this happen upon request. A couple at our table had invited his wife and him and they accepted. The other times, the officers simply "appeared", other than the time when I was invited to dine with the Chief Engineer.

At the Mariners Brunch, I was seated once at the Hotel Manager's table and once at the Captain's table. But, that, I am sure, was because of my Mariner Society status.

Each time, the experience has been educational and enlightening. Being able to ask questions and listening to their stories was great fun. And, I truly appreciated the opportunity!

What a great story.. I enjoyed reading about your experience thanks for sharing.

....and other random thoughts/

As a former snipe, my husband would love to have dinner with the Chief Engineer one evening, that would make his cruise right there.

I guess having worked "back of the house" in my past even if the workers could dine with us would'nt we be making more work for their co-workers?

What a great story.. I enjoyed reading about your experience thanks for sharing.

....and other random thoughts/

As a former snipe, my husband would love to have dinner with the Chief Engineer one evening, that would make his cruise right there.

I guess having worked "back of the house" in my past even if the workers could dine with us would'nt we be making more work for their co-workers?

We've had the opportunity to have dinner with the chief engineer and his 2nd. As an old coast guard engineer I found it very interesting to see how things have changed since the 1950's. We also had a private trip to the engine control room which was enlightening.

We've had the opportunity to have dinner with the chief engineer and his 2nd. As an old coast guard engineer I found it very interesting to see how things have changed since the 1950's. We also had a private trip to the engine control room which was enlightening.

Now that's what I am talking about! Us gear heads are the only ones who understand how much fun this would be.

That is great....it's nice for some of the staff to have a friendly dinner with guests-I think it also shows their supervisor that since they were asked to join passengers, they are doing a good job and passengers request them. Just my opinion.

Staff? These are officers. You are speaking of them as subservient individuals.

Staff? These are officers. You are speaking of them as subservient individuals.

Sounds a little degrading. People are people no matter what their job.

Canadianbear was commenting on my post (mine = #2, theirs = #8 on page 1 of this thread). Read it and you'll see Canadianbear and I were referring to staff, not the officers. No disrespect or degradation took place.

My point exactly, therefore why can’t the Indonesian employees dine with guests? I know no one on this board can answer this, however I find it a bit upsetting. Just me I guess.

Sounds a little degrading. People are people no matter what their job.

Agreed. As a retired naval officer who worked his way up the ranks from the bilges (I am a Mustang), I am really proud of my roots as an enlisted man. Knife and Fork school did not change who i am as a professional and a person. It did get me a higher salary, however.

My point exactly, therefore why can’t the Indonesian employees dine with guests? I know no one on this board can answer this, however I find it a bit upsetting. Just me I guess.

Because the majority of them, if not all of them, are still working during dinner times

Agreed. As a retired naval officer who worked his way up the ranks from the bilges (I am a Mustang), I am really proud of my roots as an enlisted man. Knife and Fork school did not change who i am as a professional and a person. It did get me a higher salary, however.

Hmmmm.... 'Knife & Fork' school? Isn't that a bit of a degrading comment in itself?

Hmmmm.... 'Knife & Fork' school? Isn't that a bit of a degrading comment in itself?

Not really. Those of us who were given direct commissions (medical, legal, civil engineers etc) did just that. We went to a couple of months 'Knife, Fork, and Spoon School.' In my case, as a naval officer, it was Newport RI for Officer Indoctrination School during the 1980 America's Cup. It was tough duty..... Anyway it is training to ensure that we do not embarrass the uniform, learn the basic elements of military leadership, naval traditions, military justice, and the yes the customs of naval life.

Dennis

Not really. Those of us who were given direct commissions (medical, legal, civil engineers etc) did just that. We went to a couple of months 'Knife, Fork, and Spoon School.' In my case, as a naval officer, it was Newport RI for Officer Indoctrination School during the 1980 America's Cup. It was tough duty..... Anyway it is training to ensure that we do not embarrass the uniform, learn the basic elements of military leadership, naval traditions, military justice, and the yes the customs of naval life.

Dennis

Tough Duty? You mean you were distracted by all the 'yachts' at Newport?:D

In Britain the saying goes like this.... "What is the difference between the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy?"

The Royal Navy is gentlemen trying to be officers and the Merchant Navy is officers trying to be gentlemen. The P&O is neither trying to be both!

Stephen

We have had officers join our table on 3 occasions and it was always a delightful experience. Our one experience of dining with the captain was on Celebrity. Now that we choose "select" dining, I don't know that we will have those experiences again and they will be missed.

On one transatlantic with HAL I sat at a table for 8, with 7 passengers. On formal nights the ship's Environmental Officer joined us. It was quite interesting, especially since I worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency at the time. He provided wine for the table each time he joined us. I didn't request this, it just happened....

On the same trip, I got to know the Assistant Cruise Director, and asked him, after checking with my dinner partners, to join us for dinner one night. He had to get permission to do it, and asked me to let the Maitre D' know ahead of time. Since it was a 16 day voyage, having new faces at the dinner table was quite nice.

On one transatlantic with HAL I sat at a table for 8, with 7 passengers. On formal nights the ship's Environmental Officer joined us. It was quite interesting, especially since I worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency at the time. He provided wine for the table each time he joined us. I didn't request this, it just happened....

On the same trip, I got to know the Assistant Cruise Director, and asked him, after checking with my dinner partners, to join us for dinner one night. He had to get permission to do it, and asked me to let the Maitre D' know ahead of time. Since it was a 16 day voyage, having new faces at the dinner table was quite nice.

When officers sit at your table they do provide the wine. It's one of the perks.

Archived