Underage teen caught drinking thrown off Oasis 6/4

It's not my logic -- it's multiple studies performed by different researchers over decades. As I said, I've read extensively on the topic of alcoholism, and everything I've read about early drinking is that it makes a person more likely to become an alcoholic later. Admittedly, I haven't read anything about watered-down drinks in studies.

Also, alcoholism is not so much a true disease as a tendency towards a disease. The individual's choices and behavior dictate whether he will develop alcoholism. Diabetes is similar: say you have two people with an equal tendency towards diabetes. One of the people watches his diet carefully, being careful to eat plenty of vegetables, and he exercises regularly. The other person pays little attention to diet, grabbing fast food as it suits him and exercises only occasionally. You wouldn't be surprised to hear that one of these people avoided developing diabetes, while the other was forced to start medications from a young age. Alcoholism is similar: a person who trunks early, who binge drinks is likely to become alcoholic.

I think we're on 2 totally different pages when we say "drinking" here. You're not learning to appreciate it if your drinking a full glass of booze as a teenager. That's not how it was done when I was brought up - but yes I would tend to agree that if someone starts really drinking at a young age it's a recipe for disaster.

The liver isn't fully developed and the child will grow dependent - I will agree. But again - that's not teaching the kid how to appreciate a glass of wine or whatever - it's teaching them how to party.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Confidentiality probably means more to me than it does to others.

I would not approach an employee and ask what offense the person I heard about did, nor would I if I even witnessed it. It didn't affect me, it's none of my business. I don't even think this situation affected the other teens in the club, other than gossip. No ones safety was compromised.

Of course, I'm also the type when I see or read about celebrities problems, I don't pay much attention. It's none of my business and all that really happens is the media needs time fillers and makes situations more dramatic to appeal to the masses. Some of it is amusing, but it doesn't affect my life one way or the other.

I work at a job where, if you call in sick, the next day we don't even ask what was wrong. If the co-worker offers an explanation that's fine. I work in a school with special needs kids and everything about them is confidential, even their last name and their age. I have people ask me "what is wrong with them?", my answer is typically "they cannot walk" (all our students are in wheelchairs) which is obvious. If they press the issue, which is odd to me, I politely inform them that it is confidential and I'm not allowed to discuss it.

I don't care to discuss personal issues here on CC and try to keep that in mind all the time. It surprises me when people discuss marriage problems, child problems, health issues (other than asking for advise for comfort).

This is an open forum and you are allowed to discuss such issues, but what good does it do to spread this embarrassing news? Would you like to read things about yourself here? Put yourself in the shoes of the person(s) being discussed.

This is an open forum and you are allowed to discuss such issues, but what good does it do to spread this embarrassing news? Would you like to read things about yourself here? Put yourself in the shoes of the person(s) being discussed.

Aside from what the issue may have been, do any of us on this forum have the slightest idea as to who is being discussed here?

I think a whole lot of people here would change their mind about confidentiality if they came to a site like CC and saw they were being discussed. I don't care for people discussing me behind my back and I doubt you do either, whether it is good or bad.

So, who exactly is it that is being discussed?

Perhaps, but if you are caught doing that and the theater chooses to enforce the policy, they can evict you and you would have no recourse.
The point is not whether companies have the right to enforce their policies (which may or may not be true, depending), the point is that doing something contrary to a company's policy, which is not otherwise illegal, is not breaking the law.

Aside from what the issue may have been, do any of us on this forum have the slightest idea as to who is being discussed here?

Excellent point. I haven't a clue and for that matter I do not have a clue as to who 99.99% of the posters here are.

After reading this thread I have to say it was interesting. I will be taking my nephews, 14 and 14 on their first cruise on the Allure in March 2012 for spring break. They know the rules already NO DRINKING. We have sat with them and discussed what could/would happen if they are caught drinking not only by RCCL but by their Uncle, Aunt and parents when they get home. I will be showing them this thread.

The point is not whether companies have the right to enforce their policies (which may or may not be true, depending), the point is that doing something contrary to a company's policy, which is not otherwise illegal, is not breaking the law.

True, but these passengers were in a foreign country, they were in the "Nation of Why Not" , so they did break that Nations Laws, were caught, tried and deported.!!:D;):eek:

They would not have gotten the drinks if the bartender did not give them to them. It should never have been offered to them. Additionally, You do not know if I read them the "riot act" or not. I 100% blame serving alcohol to a minor on the ship, the ship/bartender responsibility.

On an 11 night West Coast cruise on the Radiance, I met a woman on day one who was livid. She complained that her just high school graduated son was not allowed to drink on board. You know how on some cruises, you always seem to run in to the same people? Well, it was her on this cruise. That evening I saw her at the Guest Relations desks yelling at the staff member because she felt as though RCI mislead her. Would you believe they upgraded her to a JS? Well, as the cruise went on, I saw on at least 6 or 7 occasions her buying alcohol for her son. I even saw him in the hallway once alone with a bucket of beer.

Anyways, the point of my diatribe is, I do not see anywhere in bajathree's post where he said the bartenders served this particular minor, and I think anyone with sense knows that bartenders are not the only source of alcohol.

So, who exactly is it that is being discussed?

There are possibly people here who could recognize themselves in such a discussion.

But it kind of takes me back to my original thought that this whole thread is pure rumor, regardless of what the OP states. Why do people insist on coming here to report issues such as this? Why did I bother to read any of it once I got past the original post? Why do I bother to post now? I don't feel any need to defend myself, I do feel that people need to be careful about spreading rumors.

True, but these passengers were in a foreign country, they were in the "Nation of Why Not" , so they did break that Nations Laws, were caught, tried and deported.!!:D;):eek:
If it were truly the Nation of Why Not, they would be allowed to drink. ;)

...This is an open forum and you are allowed to discuss such issues, but what good does it do to spread this embarrassing news? Would you like to read things about yourself here? Put yourself in the shoes of the person(s) being discussed.

Hm I´d say a thread likt this might educate some people about what can happen when they act a certain way. If the people would come here and recognize themselves in the story I wouldn´t really feel any pitty for them, as it was them putting themselves in an embarrassing situation.

No confidential information spread anyway, as nobody knows who these people are.

There are possibly people here who could recognize themselves in such a discussion.

But it kind of takes me back to my original thought that this whole thread is pure rumor, regardless of what the OP states. Why do people insist on coming here to report issues such as this?

Because they think it might be helpful for others and maybe because that´s the purpose of a forum like this;)

Why did I bother to read any of it once I got past the original post? Why do I bother to post now? I don't feel any need to defend myself, I do feel that people need to be careful about spreading rumors.

Only you know why you read this thread and post on this thread and I´m not going to spread any rumors as to the why:rolleyes:.

Anyway people now know how you feel about spreading rumors and we all can move on to discuss the topic on hand and keep spreading rumors to our but maybe not your liking.:p

"Illegal" and "breaking the law" are somewhat fuzzy concepts, but wouldn't you call something that could result in a $25,000 civil penalty "against the law"? Look at 46 USC 2302.

"Illegal" and "breaking the law" are somewhat fuzzy concepts, but wouldn't you call something that could result in a $25,000 civil penalty "against the law"? Look at 46 USC 2302.
Since you've obviously looked at it, which section provides for a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for a 21+ year old to give a drink to a 19 year old while not in US waters?

Just read the post a couple above this....a lot of underage drinking is parents actually supplying the drinks. Some people feel it's fine for their 18yr olds to drink. Heck I saw a high school senior group just recently in Cozumel.....they were pouring tequila right down the kids throat and the parents were in line right behind them next to drink....happens more often than you may think....they went thru bottles before I had left and no one was walking straight. There are stories all the time about parents caught supplying underage teens alcohol at their homes....especially around graduation time.

I was think the same thing about parents serving booze to their underage kids in their own homes and then I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act.

I didn't realize that it wasn't a ban on consuming but rather on the purchase and public possession. "legislate the age of 21 years as a minimum age for purchasing and publicly possessing alcoholic beverages". Seven states did outright ban consumption put most have not.

The following statement would make it okay for a parent to server alcohol to their own kids. It's the parents that have parties at their home and allow alcohol to be consumed by other kids that are not of legal age.

"In some states, no restriction on private consumption is made, while in others, consumption is only allowed in specific locations, in the presence of consenting and supervising family members as in the states of California, Colorado, Montana, New York, Texas, Virginia , West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming."

Thanks all that are concerned I have it covered. Never would she drink it out of a glass, but out of the glasses that you would get on the lido deck that go with the iced tea. Secondly, I never hand it to her it sits somewhere and she picks it up who is to say whether she didn't pick up that glass on her own that somebody left it or that, there is no proof that I purchased that drink. If you say be receipts that doesn't count as solid proof because I also have some cocktains with my honey and who is to say I didn't drink the entire drink myself.

I going to tell you honest truth, last cruise last year, we were speaking to the bartender talking about my daughter as she was there with us and we said she is college....well, my daughter never had any problem in getting any drink from that bartender the entire cruise, the bartender and the other two working there who saw her drinking the first day when we boarded assumed she was 21, so that is not my fault. She was asked what she wanted and used her own shipboard account to pay for it, so I not give her those drinks. Honestly, she also didn't have more than 7 drinks the entire cruise. But I did not have to give her a drink last carnival cruise....

If I get kicked off well they going to have to prove that she got a drink from me I hope they have video in the cabin. I will be leaving the cabin myself with that empty glass to bring back to the bar, whose to say I didn't drink it?

Do you know that Celebrity and NCL allow 18-20 year olds to have drinks with parental signed permission (maybe just beer/wine I not know) but its very true!

I was think the same thing about parents serving booze to their underage kids in their own homes and then I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act.

I didn't realize that it wasn't a ban on consuming but rather on the purchase and public possession. "legislate the age of 21 years as a minimum age for purchasing and publicly possessing alcoholic beverages". Seven states did outright ban consumption put most have not.

The following statement would make it okay for a parent to server alcohol to their own kids. It's the parents that have parties at their home and allow alcohol to be consumed by other kids that are not of legal age.

"In some states, no restriction on private consumption is made, while in others, consumption is only allowed in specific locations, in the presence of consenting and supervising family members as in the states of California, Colorado, Montana, New York, Texas, Virginia , West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming."

The police got tired of having to actually see kids holding it, so Michigan redefined possession to include it being in your body.

Since you've obviously looked at it, which section provides for a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for a 21+ year old to give a drink to a 19 year old while not in US waters?

Subsection a says "interfering with the safe operation of a vessel" is a violation. It does not specify where. It sounds to me a lot like the situations where people are charged with refusing to follow the instructions of flight attendants, although apparently the rules are stricter for airplanes. I ran across it in a release by the PVA [Passenger Vessel Association, i.e. the cruise lines] who were saying it applied to drunk and disorderly passengers. I will leave it to the experts to argue about when and where it might apply.

Just read the post a couple above this....a lot of underage drinking is parents actually supplying the drinks. Some people feel it's fine for their 18yr olds to drink. Heck I saw a high school senior group just recently in Cozumel.....they were pouring tequila right down the kids throat and the parents were in line right behind them next to drink....happens more often than you may think....they went thru bottles before I had left and no one was walking straight. There are stories all the time about parents caught supplying underage teens alcohol at their homes....especially around graduation time.

This is another example of parents trying to be thier kids friend instead of a parent. :rolleyes:

Subsection a says "interfering with the safe operation of a vessel" is a violation. It does not specify where. It sounds to me a lot like the situations where people are charged with refusing to follow the instructions of flight attendants, although apparently the rules are stricter for airplanes. I ran across it in a release by the PVA [Passenger Vessel Association, i.e. the cruise lines] who were saying it applied to drunk and disorderly passengers. I will leave it to the experts to argue about when and where it might apply.

I knew I picked the wrong time to stop studying Maritime Law ... :)

Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

On our last 2 cruises my underage son was offered drinks in the MDR- June 2010 the bar waitress said, "I cant put it in front of you......" to my DS who is 18. On our 12/2010 cruise the bar server eagerly served everyone at our table and put the drink in front of my 18yo.

(Let me add, the Maitre D' for our dining room on the 12/2010 cruise was at, and "hung out" at our table every night when we were having dessert and she saw the glasses on the table. Never said anything.)

Oddly enough the only drunken behavior thats bothered me was on RCL and Iv done Carnival 17 times.

One time at the past guest party in the main theater, I was squashed in, and the elderly guy next to me was almost falling down drunk. He spilled a full glass of wine on my arm, and it was so crowded, and someone was talking on stage, that I couldnt get up and leave and it was too noisy to complain to the man.

the other time bridge was scheduled, in the game room. Darned if some large drinking group, with all their drinks didnt choose to sit right next to the two tables of bridge (there was a adjoining room .. but nooo, they had to sit in the card tables section). One lady .. again older than me, stood up yelling and screaming pretty constantly. They were playing some drinking card game. The bridge games broke up needless to say.

If you run into drunks, sometimes there isnt a thing you can do. They already ruined your fun at the time... why tell on them, too late to save the bridge games.

I'm switching to Carnival.

Quite frankly, there are always those that believe children (teenagers) will never be in any capacity to drink alcohol. Contrary, there are also those that believe teens need to experiment and find their own limits.

As an 18 y.o. that has been on almost 10 cruises, drinking has never been an issue for me. I have drank on multiple cruises, and while not drinking to the point of inebriation i enjoyed myself and never ran into issues. Security had frequently seen me not entirely sober and undoubtedly knew I had been drinking. They never said a word, and I never found myself in any risky situations where I put myself or any others at risk.

I guess my point is that there is a fine line. There are many parents that allow their children to drink because they have proved to never have a problem with it. The key, in my opinion, is to never put yourself in a situation where you are going to cause a problem. If you drink, even as a teenager, and do it responsibly, the likelihood of a problem arising almost disappears.

Just my $.02

As I have said I allow my daughter to drink (limited of course if she wants to) and I agree with you katzonic if you drink you need to be responsible and you certainly showing me that as so does my daughter. This is why I allow my daughter to drink she is very responsible and knows her limits and drinks smart. Just like you....this is why some parents such as myself allow it because she shows me maturity and not irresponsiblity. For some that may say I am irresponsible for giving my daughter a drink or two each day its my will she is my daughter and only I know my daughter. :) I guess to each their own

Archived