RCI charging bogus "tax" on ships.

On a recent Voag OTS cruise I felt we were nickel and dimed to death, especially over the cost of transportation from the ports into towns. For instance, in Bari, we were charged $15 per head for a four-minute journey. We had been tod that was our only option, but it turned out that the town itself provided free shuttles.

That was bad enough, but when we embarked I bought my usual soda package and was charged an additional 8% "tax" by the waiter. I questioned this and he said that it was tax but knew no more than that.

On my return I emailed RCI customer service department asking what the tax was and why it was charged. At first I was told that they hadn't charged any tax and that it was just the standard 15% gratuity. When I persisted they admitted they had incorrectly charged VAT at 8% on board the ship and refunded me $10.

How many other people have been charged this 'tax' I wonder? Why has this suddenly appeared when it has never been mentioned on any other cruise I have ever been on?

I've had it up to here with the constant penny-pinching on RCI ships these days, so I'm taking my business elsewhere for now, and perhaps forever. Shame really, because there were such a lot of good things too, but enough is enough!!

I wrote about a similar experience on one of our cruises on Adventure. I noticed that, in only one of the lounges, they were charging tax on drinks. I went to customer service to ask about this and was told that they are supposed to charge tax. I said no they are not. They insisted that they were. I then asked why this has only happened in this one lounge? They said that the others should be charging tax also. I then asked as to what government this tax is being turned over to? The woman just looked at me like I had two heads. It was not worth it to me, in terms of my time, to persue the matter any further so I just avoided buying anything else in that particular lounge.

I could not help but wonder how much money RCI was taking in by adding that bit of charge, intentionally or not, to each sale and how many people never noticed it but just dutifully sign those receipts without question.

Towncar T,

Obviously you were charged the Spanish VAT of 8 % (although your cruise was out of Italy). It´s an Europan law but so far I have only heard that this VAT is charged on cruises out of Spain. If that cruise doesn´t hit a non European port the VAT is charged throughout the whole cruise. That´s been the thing on the Epic last week (BTW it´s 18% for all purchases in stores and the spa, 8% only applies for the bar purchases and restaurant surcharges). On the Vision of the Seas in April that 8% VAT was only charged while we´ve been in Spanish ports and within the 12 mile zone of a Spanish port.

We had problems with the 15$ shuttle policy on the Vision too especially because we weren´t allowed to walk out of the port in La Rochelle and in Brest. The Brest harbor usually offers a free shuttle which was confirmed by the lady at the tourist information booth. But RCI declined this offer. After sort of a passenger riot (peaceful) they refunded the costs for La Rochelle and Brest. Anyway in Gijon we had to pay. Walking was allowed but we´ve docked in the middle of nowwhere at a totally new docking area made out of landfill. For me it´s o.k. to pay the 15$ when the shuttle is for my own convenience (like in Bilbao where the town is 15 km away from the port - we walked 30 min to the subway station). In cases where I´m not allowed to leave the port on my own two feet the shuttle should be included. And the shuttle price applies to all people not regarding the age - we had families with 3 small kids onboard - 75 Dollars just for a shuttle for the whole family???

steamboats

Why is 8% 'Spanish' tax being charged on a ship out of Italy... or have the Italians introduced this now?

Most ships charge for the shuttles into town. Research would have shown what ports you need to take this and what ports you can DIY

I have a confirmed email both from my Travel Agent and also one from Royal Caribbean to confirm that this VAT is not to be charged on the Voyager ex Venice because it calls at Dubrovnik which is in Croatia and as Croatia is not part of the EU they will not be enforcing the VAT.

It will be charged on any cruise that calls at exclusively EU ports - such as the Adventure etc.

I am happy to forward these emails to anyone that requires them. I have mine already printed off to take with me at the end of next month.

Karen

Here is the narrative from my email - as stated above:-

Dear Mrs

Following on from my email to you earlier we have had further confirmation

to advise that your cruise on Voyager of the Seas on 30th July 2011 will

not have any VAT charged. On recent cruises there have been a couple of

sailings subject to partial VAT charges, however this will not be the case

for your sailing. Again we apologise for any confusion caused by this

matter.

Regards

Tim Wall

Info UK Email Team

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

I wonder what happens to tax charging for cruises that call into Gibraltar which is not part of eu for tax purposes?

I always thought it was just a Spanish tax thing - part of the austerity measures. If you drink well on vacation it does add to the cost.

Dear Mrs

Following on from my email to you earlier we have had further confirmation

to advise that your cruise on Voyager of the Seas on 30th July 2011 will

not have any VAT charged. On recent cruises there have been a couple of

sailings subject to partial VAT charges, however this will not be the case

for your sailing. Again we apologise for any confusion caused by this

matter.

Regards

Tim Wall

Info UK Email Team

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

i can only speak about US domestic cruises. when you board a ship in the us, if you buy a drink while the ship is in the US port, they charge tax. when the ship sails it stops charging tax.

yes, made the mistake of buying a drink card wile in port (a few yrs ago) and got taxed

I wonder what happens to tax charging for cruises that call into Gibraltar which is not part of eu for tax purposes?

It's been reported on here from someone who sailed on the Grandeur from Palma but called in Gibraltar that they do not charge the Spanish VAT

I have a confirmed email both from my Travel Agent and also one from Royal Caribbean to confirm that this VAT is not to be charged on the Voyager ex Venice because it calls at Dubrovnik which is in Croatia and as Croatia is not part of the EU they will not be enforcing the VAT.

It will be charged on any cruise that calls at exclusively EU ports - such as the Adventure etc.

I am happy to forward these emails to anyone that requires them. I have mine already printed off to take with me at the end of next month.

Karen

Croatia has just been accepted as a new member of the EU, effective July 2013. So, until then, no VAT should be charged on the cruises having a port stop there.

I wrote about a similar experience on one of our cruises on Adventure. I noticed that, in only one of the lounges, they were charging tax on drinks. I went to customer service to ask about this and was told that they are supposed to charge tax. I said no they are not. They insisted that they were. I then asked why this has only happened in this one lounge? They said that the others should be charging tax also. I then asked as to what government this tax is being turned over to? The woman just looked at me like I had two heads. It was not worth it to me, in terms of my time, to persue the matter any further so I just avoided buying anything else in that particular lounge.

I could not help but wonder how much money RCI was taking in by adding that bit of charge, intentionally or not, to each sale and how many people never noticed it but just dutifully sign those receipts without question.

I noticed the same thing at the Promenade bar on our Navigator TA. I purchased 2 beers and I asked him why there was a VAT on the charge. He, (the bartender/ice cream/coffee person) had no idea what I was talking about. Then he said it was supposed to be on there. :rolleyes:

It's because their machines (this one) hadn't been re-set after the Europe cruises for the Transatlantic. 99% of the ones we used were, but not at that bar.

I didn't complain, but like you...we didn't buy anything else there. :) We do wonder where that non-tax money goes.....

I must admit that to get the positive response I got from RCI it has taken three emails to my TA and another three to RCI - they were both confused and even stated that we would be charged tax initially in all ports except Croatia!

As long as there is a port stop during your trip in a non-EU Country then no VAT should be charged on the cruise as a whole. This seems to have been in force for the last two years. We were not charged tax on NCL in 2009 but were on the Adventure from Malaga in 2010.

I have also heard from a cruiser who was on the Voyager on its first Croatia trip this year that their Cruise Compass did state they would pay VAT but none was charged. It was a misprint apparently!!

I shall go armend with my email.

Karen

I must admit that to get the positive response I got from RCI it has taken three emails to my TA and another three to RCI - they were both confused and even stated that we would be charged tax initially in all ports except Croatia!

As long as there is a port stop during your trip in a non-EU Country then no VAT should be charged on the cruise as a whole. This seems to have been in force for the last two years. We were not charged tax on NCL in 2009 but were on the Adventure from Malaga in 2010.

I have also heard from a cruiser who was on the Voyager on its first Croatia trip this year that their Cruise Compass did state they would pay VAT but none was charged. It was a misprint apparently!!

I shall go armend with my email.

Karen

Dear osmond fan thanks for this. We are on splendour from next Monday from Venice around the eastern med . I too am a big osmond fan and wish they would come back , their 50th shows were fantastic . At one Danny concert in Glasgow he came iri

into the audience and almost fell onto me but I supported him he is sooo strong mmm happy night lol

I've gone on two Med cruises out of Barcelona and never been charged any vat tax on any wine or beer orders. I guess it must be selective.:D:D

It depends on when you´ve been on your Med cruises. That VAT thing wasn´t in effect on our last cruises in 2008. It´s sort of new since last year or so.

On the Vision we had a note in our cruise compass regarding the Spanish ports. I haven´t purchased anything so I can´t tell you whether the VAT was on or not.

On the Epic last week the VAT was on for the whole cruise - start in Barcelona, no non EU port. 8% on drinks and restaurants, 18% on everything else. Should be the same on the Liberty of the Seas as she doesn´t hit a non EU port either.

Although it´s an EU law I haven´t found out why it´s only with the Spanish ports.

My husband recently has been on an MSC cruise. They didn´t have a non EU port on the schedule anymore but Tunis should have been. They went to Tunis, stopped in front of the port, took on officials who cleared the ship and that was the non EU port!!

Anyway it´s not an RCI thing it´s an European law. The RCI thing is that they don´t change their registers in time and then you´re charged although there shouldn´t be a VAT added. So all you can do is being careful and have a look on your receipts and complain right away!!

steamboats

Nimmoe2 - they are doing a UK 50 date tour March - May 2012 - tickets on sale now.

Donny and Marie are also doing Cruising With Donny and Marie on MSC Poesia in Feb 2012. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE trip - works out more costly that a 10 day in Europe for me!! So not going!!

Karen - sorry for going off topic.

Dear friends:

RCCL charges Spanish VAT on cruises from Spain that only go to EU ports that are part of the European VAT scheme.

If the cruise has any stops outside of the EU (Tunis, Dubrovnik, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, etc.) or to ports that are not subject to the EU VAT scheme (Canaries, Gibraltar, Madeira, etc.), then VAT is not charged.

The reason why RCCL has to charge VAT has nothing to do with austerity measures, greedy governments, or anything of the sort. Ever since RCCL purchased Pullmantur, opened a network of more than 200 travel agencies in Spain (Nautalia Viajes), established extensive offices in Madrid and Barcelona, etc., RCCL is considered to operate and do business from Spain as a "permanent establishment" in accordance with EU VAT Regulations.

Another matter is whether RCCL correctly reports and pays the VAT to the Spanish government. The way RCCL puts the "tax" on each ticket, and then on your bill at the end of the cruise, does not technically comply with EU VAT Regulations. To comply with EU VAT Regulations, they are supposed to give you a bill with their full corporate name, tax ID number for VAT purposes, and then break down the base prices, the percentage of VAT charged, and the amount of VAT charged. On my last cruise on Liberty, I asked Guest Relations for a "VAT Invoice", and I received a blank stare in return. This aspect of the whole VAT issue makes me quite suspicious of RCCL, although they are following the law by charging the VAT in the circumstances I describe.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I asked Guest Relations for a "VAT Invoice", and I received a blank stare in return.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Ahhh yes, the customer service blank stare that we have both experienced. Perhaps it is part of RCI's training program on how to get customers to back off when they actually KNOW what they are talking about.

Hello, I was wondering is this 8% Spanish tax on sailings that start in Spain and then visit only EU ports or does anyone know if it will apply to sailings from Southampton visiting only EU ports. Specifically IoS 17/09/2011.

Thanks in advance. :)

Archived