Basic Cancellation question

winste

I did a quick search and seemed this is the case but want to ask a very direct question.

HAL's cancellation per website is for Carribean:

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare

Does this mean that if I cancel 80 days out, I get my deposit back?

Thank you.

Yes, in the instance you cited.

Everyone should be aware that there are some cruises with a longer penalty period. Some Grand cruises start the penalty period even before the final payment is due.

Yes, but if you bought HAL insurance you will not get any of that back.

:confused: Huh?

With the HAL policy you would get back 100% of the refundable amount, plus.

With the standard policy the "plus" would be 80% of the penalty; with the premium policy it would be 90% of the penalty amount---up to 24 hours prior to the cruise.

I think gregdude means you won't get back the CPP or CPPP charge.

Maybe. If so, the way it was phrased was pretty obscure, especially when you consider that typically you don't get insurance premiums back. You especially don't get them back when the insurance pays off, which the HAL plan would do during the penalty period.

He made it sound like you won't even get non-penalty deposit back if you have HAL coverage.

Maybe. If so, the way it was phrased was pretty obscure, especially when you consider that typically you don't get insurance premiums back. You especially don't get them back when the insurance pays off, which the HAL plan would do during the penalty period.

He made it sound like you won't even get non-penalty deposit back if you have HAL coverage.

I disagree; I think his statement was clear, concise and self-evident:

Yes, but if you bought HAL insurance you will not get any of that back.

His comment is a stand-alone statement: if you bought HAL insurance, you will not get any of that back. "That" can only refer to HAL insurance.

And although you and I obviously know that typically one does not get insurance premiums back, the OP may not. Especially given the basic nature of the cancellation question to begin with.

That doesn't apply to folks with possible "pre-existing" conditions, however.

For HAL's cancellation coverage, it would. HAL's Platinum policy only pays $10,000 in medical so it really is not travel insurance. HAL's policies are cancellation policies, for the most part. CPP covers no medical.

If one wants medical coverage, they need to look elsewhere.

One more time...If one has paid the premium for HAL's cancellation coverage and cancels prior to final payment, is the insurance premium refunded as well as the cruise deposit?

One more time...If one has paid the premium for HAL's cancellation coverage and cancels prior to final payment, is the insurance premium refunded as well as the cruise deposit?

I don't think the CPP premium is refunded at any time after purchase. If I remember correctly, some people have been able to transfer the insurance to another cruise. But that wholly depends on the HAL agent you are dealing with regarding the cancellation.

Since HAL now lets you purchase the CPP until final payment date, that is the best time to buy your insurance. And their policy will cover preexisting conditions.

Nice answer Sail.;)

Ok, let me be a bit clearer. Once you buy the HAL insurance you do not get the premium back even if you cancel the cruise before final payment. I unfortunately know this because it happened to me and I learned a $500.00 lesson. Now that HAL allows you to purchase insurance up to the date of final payment it makes things much simpler, WAIT. In the past if you didn't purchase the HAL insurance when you booked you could no longer do so through.

Now the good news: Almost all outside travel insurance companies can beat the HAL price by hundreds of dollars. Before you buy either HAL policies do some checking, they all have web sites and they are immediate at giving you the cost. They also offer much more extensive coverage and have a variety of levels.

My PCC has said the last day to cancel without penalty is the last business day before the penalty. I assume that means if the 75th day was a Monday, the last day to cancel without penalty would be the previous Friday.

That's why you should hold off on buying insurance until the last minute if you're planning to get it at tall.

This would be true if OP is only seeking canceling coverage in which HAL's policy mighjt just fit their needs. If OP wants medical coverage included along with cancelation benefits and wants to have any pre-exising conditions waived than HAL's policy would not be the appropropriate coverage. OP would than have to purchase from another source within the specified time period ( Generally within 10 days from the initial booking) to have the pre-existing conditions waived.

Thanks everyone.

I was just referring to the deposit without any insurance thrown in.

Good to know about the insurance though. I typically do not purchase but it helps to convince me to if I can wait to last minute or go to a third party.

I may need surgery and that would stop me from flying for several months. I spoke to TA and she advised that we would lose $600 pp if we cancelled after making final payment but before Aug. 15. That seems in conflict to what I have read here. Our cruise is Oct. 10.

... we would lose $600 pp if we cancelled after making final payment but before Aug. 15. That seems in conflict to what I have read here. Our cruise is Oct. 10.
You would be in the 75 to 57 day span for those dates. Was your initial deposit $600? That's HAL's cancellation fee for that period.

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

I may need surgery and that would stop me from flying for several months. I spoke to TA and she advised that we would lose $600 pp if we cancelled after making final payment but before Aug. 15. That seems in conflict to what I have read here. Our cruise is Oct. 10.

We were in that position when we were booked for Eurodam's Inaugural Cruise. About a week before final payment was due, we learned I would need a very serious surgery. We chose to not make final payment as we doubted my surgeon would permit me to travel to Europe so soon after. As it turned out, I would not have been able to go. By not making final payment, we suffered no monetary loss.

I hope it works out well for you and most important that your health situation resolves well.

Archived