RCI Disco Music...is it just me???

Maybe its me, but why does the disco play current techno hits late into the night? I know I am old now, 40ish, but I think playing more hits from all the decades would make for a more crowded and fun disco instead of constant techno music.

How about also throwing in some slow songs...Am I alone in this desire????

Personally, I don't go to the disco to hear slow songs. ;) And yes, it's mostly the music of today that is played in the disco. Sometimes they have 70s or 80s nights, sometimes R&B, but for the most part, the disco plays what is on the top 40 list of the day.

You can always make requests. Some DJS are open to them; some are not. I request songs all the time - and yes, I request even some of today's music, and I'm in my 40's. :)

Maybe its me, but why does the disco play current techno hits late into the night?

Most modern nightclubs will always play current music as catered to their audience. Plus, people enjoy the night life on ships to have a good time, drink and dance the night away. Playing hits from every decade, especially all night long, will never work and will make the venue feel like a cheesy wedding reception.

RCCL has various ships with different club venues, such as Boleros, Dazzles, etc. Each venue caters to a music genre or era to meet a specific interest. Just go to an event or specific nightclub that caters to you.

I am 69, bring back Bill Harley and his Comets :eek:

I believe it's Bill Haley and the Comets. Harley is a motorcycle. I don't mean to be a critic; I love music from the 50's thru the 80's. When I sailed Allure in Jan; they had disco night on both the Royal Promenade, and also in Blaze; one of the nightclubs. It was great, listening to all the disco songs from the 70's. Of course the staff all dressed up like the Village People; they did a good job.

My goodness if the disco plays older stuff (I am nearly 50) I be so disappointed and maybe even angry. A disco is a place to listen to the latest music, good dancing music, upbeat, get me moving, upbeat.....if I want to listen to all other types of music I listen to the bands.

We aren't much for the disco scene but IMO one of the signs of a good DJ, wherever he or she is, is the ability to recognize his or her audience and play music that is most appropriate to that group. One of my pet peeves at a wedding reception is having a DJ who totally ignores who or how many guests are up on the dance floor and insists on following a predetermined playlist (predetermined by the dj) even when the dance floor continues to be empty. I imagine that the same can be said of some cruise ship DJs, but if the floor is constantly filled with dancers despite the music not being to your particular tastes, I think you just have to accept the fact that you are in the minority and that the dj is satisfying the majority of folks in the audience by playing the type of music that they prefer. RCI ships usually offer a variety of music styles in different venues so you should find something to match your tastes even if it is not in the disco.

Well our experience of DJ's onboard RCI ships is that they don't understand their audience. I'm personally very disappointed at the DJ's playing their own choice of music and being very self indulgent from my experience on several RCI ships. How can a DJ be playing music people want to dance to if the club has customers but the floor is empty?

The only enjoyable 'club' I've attended was on Brilliance of the Seas where the disco is up in the Viking Crown and the DJ was excellent and the floor was packed.

All the discos I've visited on Freedom, Liberty, Mariner, Navigator, Adventure have been dismal, maybe something to do with the 'dungeon' location too.

Most of the time it is so loud in there that I could't stay anyway. I remember when we were on Serenade it was so loud we walked in and walked out. We then took a walk on the pool deck and could here the "noise" out there.:rolleyes: No loud discos for me. I am not hearing impaired and I intend to keep it that way.

Well our experience of DJ's onboard RCI ships is that they don't understand their audience. I'm personally very disappointed at the DJ's playing their own choice of music and being very self indulgent from my experience on several RCI ships. How can a DJ be playing music people want to dance to if the club has customers but the floor is empty?

The only enjoyable 'club' I've attended was on Brilliance of the Seas where the disco is up in the Viking Crown and the DJ was excellent and the floor was packed.

All the discos I've visited on Freedom, Liberty, Mariner, Navigator, Adventure have been dismal, maybe something to do with the 'dungeon' location too.

The last 2 cruises my husband and I were on, they had a great blend of hits from the 70's, 80's, 90's current...the floor was packed. But then at 11:00 pm they changed it to TECHNO only. The floor cleared (all but one single guy who apparently got off on dancing by himself). And after about the 4th techno tune the whole club cleared. This was the pattern on both Mariner and Adventure. The club stayed empty. How do I know...we went up to the vicking crown were latin salsa music is played until the wee hours, and on our way back to our room we always checked out the disco...empty. It just seemed like a hopping place until they made the change...I agree that the DJ should be able to play to the audience. Not to himself.

Maybe its me, but why does the disco play current techno hits late into the night? I know I am old now, 40ish, but I think playing more hits from all the decades would make for a more crowded and fun disco instead of constant techno music.

How about also throwing in some slow songs...Am I alone in this desire????

I am in my 40s and absolutely LOVE techno. Royal Caribbean uses DJ's from DJ Scratch Academy out of NY (well they are in California and Florida too). And I can tell you that on Oasis they also have a "House DJ".......and we were impressed by that!! (My son is a DJ, so we have interest)

The disco should be playing current dance music and definitely not decade music/hits. Altho I think if the disco is beat, and quiet then the DJ's should try mixing it up.

Sorry you hit a cruise with a less then exciting dance crowd.

People, please call it “electronic dance music” :D :D :D Techno is a style of electronic music (a lot of bass, around 140bpm and hardly any vocals), I seriously doubt that one techno record was ever played on a RCI ship as this style of music is usually for a “selected” audience :D

On the topic, I am a techno and dance music lover, the deejays we had on Liberty where pure technically strong enough...But, a major disappointment on their choice of records and originality...

Every day we heard the same songs come back again and again AND again............

By the end of the week I could really say, after this song they were going to play that song, and indeed they did so time and time again.

If would have gotten a Dollar for every time I heard, "give me everything from Pitbull" and "Britney spears till the world ends", I could pay my next cruise with only that money.

Anyhow we had a blast whatever we went, whatever music we heard...The disco night and dancing in the streets was so much fun.

I was A DJ back in the early 1980s at hotel club in Houston.

I always played what the guests wanted-a mixture of country, rock and roll and disco. Didn't play any scratch music.

My job was to keep the crowd happy and the dance floor full.

Each night was different since crowds came into Houston and stayed at the motel.

I can do without all the now rap and hip hop music, Still love the old time rock and roll, 80s disco and 70s-90s country

Hey my UK cruisecritic friends. I was in London this past weekend; and read in the paper that Cliff Richard's is going back into television. I liked at few of his songs. Devil Woman and We don't talk anymore.

You all were great in setting me straight. I must have just turned into an old fuddy duddy and am truly stuck in the "old days." So...once they start playing music (not sure what to call it -- scratch, techno, electronic whatever...just stuff that is completely unrecognizable -- its time for me to get into the latin rythms upstairs. Oh...and I also bring my ipod and my DH and I do have our own "disco;)."

On the voyager and freedom class ships (maybe oasis too?), the disco is in a dungeon and even looks like one which is a turnoff. The DJ seemingly plays what he wants to hear and clears the dance floor as well as the disco. It would seem that RCL would want to attract more pax spending money on alcohol and having a good time but that seems to not be the case. The other venues seem to do well while the disco is empty unless there are a lot of 20 somethings aboard. I have noticed that the crew shows up a lot and comprises over half the patrons in the disco late at night.

On the voyager and freedom class ships (maybe oasis too?), the disco is in a dungeon and even looks like one which is a turnoff. The DJ seemingly plays what he wants to hear and clears the dance floor as well as the disco. It would seem that RCL would want to attract more pax spending money on alcohol and having a good time but that seems to not be the case. The other venues seem to do well while the disco is empty unless there are a lot of 20 somethings aboard. I have noticed that the crew shows up a lot and comprises over half the patrons in the disco late at night.

Your observations and mine are identical. Maybe its supposed to be a venue for the employees????

That's my observation too.

Archived