I'm having second thoughts

Mar y Sol

Am traveling on the Grand this December and after reading many recent reviews, am having second thoughts :(. My family and I have sailed many times but never on Princess. We thought this would be a welcomed 'change of pace' and try "The Love Boat" - however, the more I read, the less excited I get. I realized everyone's on board experience is different but there seems to be an overwhelming amount of really bad reviews. Say it ain't so, we were looking so forward to this trip.

what date are the reviews? the ones just before and immediately after dry dock are not too good.

I was on Grand for 3rd and 4th cruise after dry dock and all the issues were sorted.

Is there anything in particular you are worried about?

Whenever I read threads titled with things like "worst cruise ever", etc, I look at them with a skeptical eye.

While bad experiences happen on all cruise lines, if your personality is to acknowledge that things happen when dealing with people, it shouldn't ruin your cruise. As others have said, post-drydock issues can happen after a lengthy overhaul on any cruies line, so those old posts about problems for the most part no longer exist.

If you have a problem, make someone onboard aware of it & they'll make an effort to take care of your issue. Too many either don't take care of things onboard (such as checking your bill) then go to CC to say how terrible things are because they didn't address it while onboard. Unless they're informed about a problem, how can they fix it...it's certainly not getting fixed onboard by getting angry & then complaining post cruise.

No cruise will be completely perfect but in 25 cruises on various cruise lines, I have never had a have a terrible cruise like some may want you to believe. I inform them about a situation while onboard & if possible they make things right for me. Cruise lines are not in the business of having unhappy passengers but some of the complaints posted on CC are from squeaky wheels who demand everything their way without any concern for what's best for the overwhelming majority of their passengers.

So don't worry about your cruise...you'll probably have a great experience! :D

I saw several complaints on here about the first cruise or so after dry dock. And, I can understand some of that if the ship isn't completed, areas of the ship are unavailable for passenger use. That would probably bother me as well, especially if something I wanted to use was unavailable. But that is also why I would try to avoid booking the 1st cruise after a dry or even wet dock probably.

Now, back to the Grand. We have sailed on her twice, though not in the last couple of years. I'm excited to see how all the new dry dock changes will look, and have her booked for December as well and am looking forward to it. I would not worry if I were you about the ship.

Mike

Are the negative reviews of the ship itself or food/service etc.

IMHO as another poster said read reviews with a grain of salt. Somepeople come here to really stick it to a company, but you need to read multiple reviews to gauage the theme, service, and amenities. IMHO the differences between the mainstream lines are small.

I do believe service and food quality has slipped in my recent cruise on princess compared to those years earlier, but a lot has changed and can't comment on how Carnival or Disney would fair.

Am traveling on the Grand this December and after reading many recent reviews, am having second thoughts :(. My family and I have sailed many times but never on Princess. We thought this would be a welcomed 'change of pace' and try "The Love Boat" - however, the more I read, the less excited I get. I realized everyone's on board experience is different but there seems to be an overwhelming amount of really bad reviews. Say it ain't so, we were looking so forward to this trip.

Hi Mar y

We have cruised on the Grand twice before. the last time was the 2nd cruise out of the major refurb in May this year. We had a few issues but absoloutely nothing to fret about. The ship is BEAUTIFUL and the upgrades have in my humble opinion only enhanced the experience. I think that cruising is a state of mind and if you don't sweat the small stuff which can happen anywhere and really enjoy its wonders and its fabulous crew you will have nothing to be unhappy about. We are returning to her next July and I have no qualms whatsoever about it. Enjoy her :)

My family and I have sailed many times but never on Princess.
A lot depends on what other cruise lines you've sailed. You won't be able to compare Princess to one of the luxury lines such as Silversea. But if you've sailed on Norwegian, Carnival, or Royal Caribbean, you should find Princess a step or two up from them. I think of Princess as a lateral move from Holland America and Celebrity.

For every negative there is 100 positives. I normally find that people complain when they have a bad experience but people seldom complain when they have a good experience.

ummm, why would someone complain about a good experience? I guess maybe people who consider complaining to be a good time!:)

My family and I have sailed many times but never on Princess.

Hi;

JMHO, but I am certain if I were to go to the boards for the cruises you have been on I will find similar posts.

JMHO again, I believe the more one cruises the more they tend to expect and the more critical they tend to become. I have read about curled carpets in obscure corners of the ship, paint flaking here or there, and other such things. This, apparently diminished the OPs experience on the cruise.

We originally sailed with Princess, but due to circumstances, we sailed Carnival Pride last winter. We went with the idea that even if the ship, crew or food did not measure up, we would still have a great cruise. But, we were concerned because of things we had heard and read.

Let me tell you this cruise was every bit as enjoyable as our Princess Cruise. The feel of the ship, decor, colours and layout, was different and somewhat not to our taste. BUT..... we really enjoyed the cruise and would sail with Carnival again without hesitation.

My Motto: As others have said so often, the cruise is what you make it!

Princess is a great line with fantastic ships and concerned staff. I am certain you will find your worries unfounded, you sound like you enjoy cruising and Princess offeres a great experience.

ummm, why would someone complain about a good experience? I guess maybe people who consider complaining to be a good time!:)

Darn, we've had a GREAT time on Grand Princess every time we've sailed her. We sure wish we could have something to be critical about :rolleyes:.

... oh, OK, how about "our view from our cabin wasn't that good when we booked an obstructed view cabin" ? That work? no. I didn't think so. The cruise was great... :)

Hi;

JMHO again, I believe the more one cruises the more they tend to expect and the more critical they tend to become. I have read about curled carpets in obscure corners of the ship, paint flaking here or there, and other such things. This, apparently diminished the OPs experience on the cruise.

You've never heard any of this B******* from me. :D

Psst: CC didn't x me out; I did it myself.

You've never heard any of this B******* from me. :D

Psst: CC didn't x me out; I did it myself.

Me neither...I think it has more to do with ones personality than the number of cruises. We've all read posts from 1st time cruisers who were very critical about rather trivial issues & those from very experienced cruisers who understand that things happen & that it never ruins their cruise.

Cugina...thanks for the invite which I gladly accepted but being my 1st one not sure what it all means. :p

We got off the Grand yesterday after a 14 day round the Med. The whole experience was amazing. This was my husband and I's first cruise so we have nothing to compare it with but from the moment we got on at Southampton it was the start of a wonderful relaxing holiday! The entertainment was great, our stateroom was immaculate, staff friendly and fun, food wonderful, weather brilliant (apart from the last two days on our way home - fog and cloud!). The only downside is all the washing and ironing I have to do now! We will definately be cruising again :)

Hi There

While my cruise on the Grand is a little way out I would not have booked if I thought I would get anything less than 100% great cruise.

However I know what standard Princess operates at and that is all I am expecting,

Princess is not 6 star cruise line it is a very good mass market cruise line.

Now they do get things wrong from time to time, but when they do all you have to do is bring this to the correct person notice in a polite manner and it will be put right.

yours Shogun

And sometimes very experienced cruises do rightfully so, have complaints. Even those who understand that things happen. Some of those things might make a cruise less than good...in fact bad. There were a lot of experienced cruisers on the Grand who did say their cruise was ruined and they would never sail Princess again. However, Princess being Princess, they more than made up for it to those it happened to.

Most of the recent complaints on the Grand, were because of what so many of us had to deal with the first cruise out of drydock. Now that the Grand has gotten past that, I would sail her again. I have learned to never sail right out of a drydock, however.

I think if you read more recent reviews, you'll see far more positive ones, than the ones posted right after the cruise after drydock.

Me neither...I think it has more to do with ones personality than the number of cruises. We've all read posts from 1st time cruisers who were very critical about rather trivial issues & those from very experienced cruisers who understand that things happen & that it never ruins their cruise.

Archived