Tuesday special deals complaint

partsgal

Does anyone have a problem with the Tuesday only specials?

We have been booked for almost a year and always looking for a special. So today most of the rooms on Equinox have been discounted. Called my TA and informed only for new bookings. I think this stinks. Anyone else feel the same way? Also has anyone ever gotten around this rule(dont want to incur a 500. fee to rebook)?

Thanks

this has always been the case. It's the same as when my cable company offers great discounts to new customers only, or my cell phone provider has come-ons for new customers only. That's the way the Tuesday specials work. There have been several threads about this already. When the price drop exceeds any penalties for re-booking, then take advantage. Otherwise, you got the deal you wanted at the price you wanted the day you made your reservation, so you should just go with what you have.

We have been booked for almost a year and always looking for a special. So today most of the rooms on Equinox have been discounted. Called my TA and informed only for new bookings. I think this stinks. Anyone else feel the same way? Also has anyone ever gotten around this rule(dont want to incur a 500. fee to rebook)?

Thanks

No, it's for new bookings only. Do the math. Sometimes it might work out better to pay the cancellation fee then rebook.

Thanks

Use someone that doesn't have a cancellation fee.....

Thanks

I have no problem at all with them, For Celebrity to remain a profitable company (and therefore remain in business) they need to sail with the ships full (or nearly full) and have to have some sales to do this for some sailings. If they gave the dirt cheap pricing to everybody Celebrity would quickly go bankrupt. Only book at a price you feel comfortable with.

I wish that they were available on Mon. I hate having to wait that extra day to find out that there is nothing special.

They are usually available on the previous Thursday at

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

This gives time to check air fares, call friends etc before the booking day.

Sheila

I have no problem with a new bookings only special, in and of itself. What I find objectionable is the policy which allows upgrades for price drops (if possible) after final payment, then excepts a great many of them because they're for new bookings only. I once counted no less than 27 upcoming Caribbean cruises that had NBO restrictions. If everything is special, nothing's special.

I just noticed two ads in the local paper -- a bank that is giving $50 to new customers and a dentist giving free X-rays to new patients. I happen to bank at that financial institution, but it wouldn't occur to me to think that this marketing strategy "stinks". Same with Celebrity's booking policy.

I agree with PartyAll that the policies should be evenly handled, without all the exceptions that allow some cruisers to get OBC after final payment and others not, but otherwise, I see what the point of the strategy is.

I agree with PartyAll that the policies should be evenly handled, without all the exceptions that allow some cruisers to get OBC after final payment and others not, but otherwise, I see what the point of the strategy is.

Thanks-- I think the point I was attempting to make was not that it's unfair that some can take advantage of a price drop and others can't because it's designated NBO (I'm trying to invent a new acronym;)), or that they're inconsistent with allowing some to get OBC after final payment and not others, but that it's wrong to have a policy that purports to at least allow you to take an upgrade if the price for a higher cabin drops to the same or less than what was paid, then say, "But not that one. Or that one. Or those three. Or seven out of those nine." They dangle the carrot and pull it away, more often than not, it seems.

I noticed, at least, that the Exciting Deals are being noted in the pricing when you go online to check, separately from the regular price. For a while, they would simply list the special price with no indication it was for NBO (there I go again:rolleyes:).

Thanks

Nope - No problem at all. We always book early to get the cabin we want and of course only book if we consider the price to be fair. If the price goes down prior to final payment - great (!) - and we get it. Oftentimes the price will go up several hundred dollars..........but we are "locked in".:)

If the price goes down on the Xciting Deals after final payment, oh well. I thought I got a fair price when I booked and am happy that I got the cabin I wanted. Everyone has their own take on these things, I guess. And, no, I don't think it stinks.

I have to agree with those who say they've no problem with Tuesday specials/Xciting deals being limited to new bookings only for many of the same reasons already noted. There is, after all, a big window of opportunity to take advantage of standard price drops (as opposed to NBO - credit to PartyAllDaTime for the new acronym!) between making a reservation and final payment. Until about a year ago, pax were in the catbird seat taking advantage of price drops right up to sail date; now the playing field had been leveled with pax still enjoying standard price drops until final payment and the cruise line getting the break thereafter. That said, I must admit that when there's a significant drop in price and you find yourself on the wrong side of the new bookings only caveat, it does sting a bit. That's why I stop checking prices once we've made final payment!

That's why I don't check NBO (Love the new acronym PADT - another new one meaning, PartyAllDaTyme!) listings unless I'm actually looking for an actual cruise. Why do it? I guess if you enjoy getting upset, or calling and harranguing some poor person on the phone and end up getting a few bucks just to get you off their backs, go for it.

I know, there are legit times cruise lines and TA's mess us over, but in so many cases it consists of, "I know I'm not eligible, but it makes me mad so give me a few bucks to placate me" approach.

There is someone on your cruise who got more OBC, or a better price for the same cabin, or at least someone who will Tell you that....and if you go around checking, you'll get what you deserve, an ulcer over someone besting you.

This isn't aimed at the OP since they may not understand what the whole point of Tuesday Specials and New Bookings are.....to add more New bookings near a cruise date. And yes, before Celebrity changed their policy, we got a great OBC for a cruise drop in price after final payment. I was utterly amazed.....and took it! But thought it was a bad business model.

Most of us understand and won't go stomping off to another cruise line because some NBO beats mine I had for 8 months or so....my decision to book early for many various, obvious and personal reasons.

Den

Had my 9/29 sailing go down for less than half what I paid. I knew I wouldn't get a refund, but was hoping for just a token ($100) OBC. Not a lot for Celebrity when now my cabin is going for well over $1,000 per person less.

My TA called and asked. Nope, as we expected, no OBC or refund, but we had figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Doing the happy dance, though! Went from inside to a concierge level verandah. I'm happy and Celebrity (who is selling those Concierge cabins for a lot less than what I paid for my inside) should also be happy because they are still got more from me than someone booking a concierge verandah today...

I have to book early to get a mid-ship cabin. Don't want to have to take 2 motion sickness tablets a day. The one tablet already makes me sleepy. This time it paid off with a mid-ship balcony. Awesome : )

Thank you, Celebrity.

I wish they would contact the category below and ask if you wanted to upgrade before they put it out to the general public. These sales negate any advantage to booking on board when the price drops $1000pp. They should take care of their returning passengers first!

Archived