Thank you for posting these menus. I was on the Gem the week after you and I never made it to either main dining room. That was not the original plan however. We usually go at least once. We went to Le Bistro twice, La Cuchina twice, Cagney's once, Orchid Garden once, and the Garden Cafe.

I requested the MDR menus from our Butler first day so we could decide which nights we did not want to eat there.

We altenated between MDR and specialty, chose Le Bistro, Tequilla and the Teppenyaki, Le Bistro was our favorite. Did not eat dinner in Cagney's though we did have breakfast and lunch there, was not all that impressed with the idea of steak for dinner as we eat steak at home probably once a week so did not find this to be such a treat. (This was our same feeling during our April cruise as well.) Have to say, we enjoyed all of our meals on the Gem.

BTW, really enjoyed reading your review and glad you and your family had such a great time.

I requested the MDR menus from our Butler first day so we could decide which nights we did not want to eat there.

We altenated between MDR and specialty, chose Le Bistro, Tequilla and the Teppenyaki, Le Bistro was our favorite. Did not eat dinner in Cagney's though we did have breakfast and lunch there, was not all that impressed with the idea of steak for dinner as we eat steak at home probably once a week so did not find this to be such a treat. (This was our same feeling during our April cruise as well.) Have to say, we enjoyed all of our meals on the Gem.

BTW, really enjoyed reading your review and glad you and your family had such a great time.

Thank you! We enjoyed our cruise.

My wife and I also think the Le Bistro is our favorite restaurant. We had two great dinner experiences on the Spirit and on the Pearl in Cagney's. We also like the breakfast and lunch options there so try to have dinner there at least once. This time we were a little let down by the Cagney's expereince. It was still good but we have had better. La Cuchina quickly became a big surprise on this sailing. We like to try them all out and if we like one we go back a second time if the budget and time allows.

Thank you! We enjoyed our cruise.

My wife and I also think the Le Bistro is our favorite restaurant. We had two great dinner experiences on the Spirit and on the Pearl in Cagney's. We also like the breakfast and lunch options there so try to have dinner there at least once. This time we were a little let down by the Cagney's expereince. It was still good but we have had better. La Cuchina quickly became a big surprise on this sailing. We like to try them all out and if we like one we go back a second time if the budget and time allows.

Speaking of La Cucina, in the past it has always received so so reviews, with most people not really liking it. As an Italian, I woud avoid it like the plague, since who wants Italian food that even non-Italians don't like. But lately the reviews for this restaurant are coming in with high marks, so I'm thinking something must have changed and now am adding it to my list of "must do" eateries on our next sailing which is currently next June way too far away (but am working on a possible November sailing).

Speaking of La Cucina, in the past it has always received so so reviews, with most people not really liking it. As an Italian, I woud avoid it like the plague, since who wants Italian food that even non-Italians don't like. But lately the reviews for this restaurant are coming in with high marks, so I'm thinking something must have changed and now am adding it to my list of "must do" eateries on our next sailing which is currently next June way too far away (but am working on a possible November sailing).

We actually have taken the same approach to La Cuchina. My wife is Italian and is an awesome cook! We did like Impressions of Italy on the Dawn. Tried La Cuchina on the Pearl last year and liked it. This year is was even better. We were pleasantly surprised.

Could someone tell me what the classic dinner selections are?

Thanks

Menus that are the same every night ALONG with the changing daily menus. Some basic dishes for those of us that don't like to be adventurous:)

These new menus are far from impressive. In the past there wer 5 choices of appetizers --and desserts--clearly another way to cut back and encourage you to go to the pay for restaurants.

These new menus are far from impressive. In the past there wer 5 choices of appetizers --and desserts--clearly another way to cut back and encourage you to go to the pay for restaurants.

There are 3 appetizers that change every day and there are 7 on the fixed menu.

3 different desserts that rotate plus 8 more on the fixed menu.

By my math that would be 10 appetizers and 11 desserts available on a daily basis.

But don't let that info interfere with a good rant. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They are the same menus they have always had and the food sounds much better than it really is. stay with the ala carts for good food or main dining room for what ever they call it that they serve. we left our meal twice and never went back. We were on the Gem 3 times this year and I do not understand how people eat that slop. All that matters is that you like it and you have a good time as it doesn't matter what any one Else's opinion is as we all grow up different with different levels of food taste and quality.

They are the same menus they have always had and the food sounds much better than it really is. stay with the ala carts for good food or main dining room for what ever they call it that they serve. we left our meal twice and never went back. We were on the Gem 3 times this year and I do not understand how people eat that slop. All that matters is that you like it and you have a good time as it doesn't matter what any one Else's opinion is as we all grow up different with different levels of food taste and quality.

We sailed on the Sun twice so far this year (January & March). The menus that are posted in this thread are indeed different from the menus we had at that time. While I know that dining is very subjective -and yes there is no comparison to the food you received in the dining room on any cruise line ten years ago..I feel the pricing has allowed the option to choose your preference. I actually like the fact that the portions are smaller to provide less wastefulness. If you want seconds you can always order them. We rarely eat in the specialty resaurants.

I will be on the Epic in a few weeks. This will be our second time on the Epic (last year was in September) and I am interested myself to see what changes have taken place. IMHO there is still no vacation better than a cruise. We all thought the food on the Epic last year was very good. I hope to find the same this cruise.

Thank you for posting the menus. I'll be on the Dawn in March and read something that concerned me. I hope I misunderstood but thought perhaps this would be a good thread to ask my question. Something I read implied that the menu was the same every night in the Venetian and the Aquafree dining rooms. Is this really true? Does anyone know? If it's true the three couples traveling with us will kill me!

The Venetian and Aqua do offer the same menu every night. On the left side of their menus, there will be different offerings each night. On the right side of their menus, there will be the Classic offerings each night with remain constant.

I think I had a little foodgasm there! :p Seriously it looks yummy to me. I LOOOOVE the pumpkin bisque. I did notice that the desserts looked a little bleh tho. Kind of like when you go to a Chinese restaurant, I always get something that looks yummy but it never is and I end up with ice cream. No biggie, it's not like I would have a lot of extra room for dessert anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Yum!

I'm very impressed with the menus. Mexican tortillas, garden salad, steak and cheesecake will be my classic selections, but I love the look of heaps of other dishes on the daily changeable menu too.

I'm not sure about the sugar free selections. I'm not overweight, don't ever bother cooking or eating dessert at home, so I enjoy eating dessert when I go out for dinner. Not sure the few calories saved would make much difference to overall weight gain/loss etc, but could imagine the taste would be affected. Has anyone tried these and what are they like? Cream puffs with coulis sounds delicious, but sugar free?

Hope this is the menu for the Spirit. I'm going in october. My last cruise was on the Dawn Jan 2010 and I had great food in the MDR every evening. I love the portion sizes-not too big. If you're still hungry you can always order more. Waiters/Waitresses were always good too. I never had slow service either.

Maybe a stupid question, but we have planned a 17 day panamacanal cruise. Is there a different MDR menu every night ( I don't mean the static menus) on such a long cruise or does they repeat it after, let's say 7 nights or so ?

I think I had a little foodgasm there! :p Seriously it looks yummy to me. I LOOOOVE the pumpkin bisque. I did notice that the desserts looked a little bleh tho. Kind of like when you go to a Chinese restaurant, I always get something that looks yummy but it never is and I end up with ice cream. No biggie, it's not like I would have a lot of extra room for dessert anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Haha, that was funny. In January they had a sweet potato bisque that was awesome. I had some in the MDR then found it on the buffet and had some more later on for dessert.

the new menus look interesting to me and for the most part I'm looking forward to the changes. A little sad that the watermelon and feta salad doesn't seem to be listed on the new menus. :( Every time I have ordered it, I loved it and told myself I would take notes and figure out how to make it. Never did. Ah well - maybe someone on the boards can remember what all was in it. I remember the cubes of feta were crumb coated and I think browned before being added to the salad? The dressing is only a memory.

deb:D

The departure of the watermelon salad is one of my disappointment with the new menu, but I hope there will be some new favorite. DDP and recreated the salad at home. The first time we breaded the feta but most of the greasing fell off. The second time we just browner it in a non stick skillet. We just made a basic vinaigrette but use some watermelon juice in addition to the vinegar and oil. We then tossed packaged mescline mix with the dressing, some crumbled feta, the feta cubes and of course the watermelon. DDP says he isn't sure you have to go to the trouble of browning the cubes of feta but I like the combination of the crunchy cubes and the crumbles.

• 1 year later...
No luck on lunch menus for MDR? I know the menu is the same each day, but would be interested to see what they're offering now.

as I recall,,,,,,,,, sirloin strip steak,(not very good), fish & chips(very good), clubhouse sandwich(never tried), philly cheesesteak sandwich(also enjoyed), cobb salad which I had 4 times....delish, shrimp caesar salad(also very good)..........pea soup, chicken noodle soup, and I am sorry.......just can't remember what else.

Interesting to read. It must be hard catering to so many passengers tastes and differing nationalities. What one person finds great to eat, someone else often thinks is no good and vice versa! Personally I was never a big wrap for the fish and chips, but the sirloin steak(well done) I enjoyed probably 10 nights out 15 on my last cruise.

And watermelon soup-don't like soup of any kind or watermelon so I couldn't imagine enjoying that. Probably why they have so many different places to eat with so many different choices.

Archived