Preboarding for Passengers in Wheelchair?

Anniboo

My husband uses a motorized chair, wondering if the cruise lines offer pre-boarding like the airlines do so that people who need a little assistance or extra time are not overrun by the masses trying to board the ship?

Boarding a ship is NOT like boarding an airplane....folks board as they arrive...all day long! Yes...once you get there, you'll go to the front of the line that is there at the time....but other's will have boarded, too! It's more like checking into a hotel, than boarding a plane!

There is no "pre-boarding" but I too require a W/C and mobility scooter and have always received, maybe not priority boarding, but a courteous 'move to the front of the line' both on embarkation and disembarkation on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. We'll have to see how HAL handles this for our upcoming cruise.

As a general rule, most if not all cruise line employees, are very courteous and helpful. I have found that it's a few fellow cruisers who are are rude and insensitive. Most people will hold an elevator or a door for you but others can't seem to close the door fast enough in front of you. To me that doesn't matter anymore as that is typical in all places, not just cruise ships.

In all of our cruises, Celebrity was definitely the most courteous both employees and passengers alike.

I have found that it's a few fellow cruisers who are are rude and insensitive. Most people will hold an elevator or a door for you but others can't seem to close the door fast enough in front of you./quote]

I have seen the other side of motorized sccoter drivers where they have been very rude and aggressive, where they think they have right of way on a cruise ship and just charge at other passengers forcing them out of the way. On one occassion, a scooter user charghed into a crowd and known a 5 y.o. over causing her to hit her head on the arm of a chair.

The vast majority of scooter users are just like passngers, courteous and helpful, but one always find bad apples.

Ron

OP - I have no idea how NCL boards (I see you are on that cruiseline from your signature), but to avoid crowds, just board a little later. I am not quite sure how one is "overrun by the masses" because they are in a motorized scooter. When there are crowds, I have found it to be awful just walking. I'd rather arrive later and just not deal with it.

To all of you who have to use a motorized wheelchair I do admire you all for getting out and living life and enjoying yourself.....I truly do.....:D

To those of you reading these boards that are thinking "wow I could get aboard early if I tell them I need a wheelchair".......just remember.....karma baby.....karma.

We were on a cruise from PC and there was a man and woman and her father riding on the hotel shuttle with us. On the ride over she actually told her father "now once we get to the port I'm going to tell them you need a wheelchair so we can all get onboard early"....:eek:. He tried to protest but she told him to be quiet and let her handle things.

I turned around and gave her "the look", because I had seen Dad around the motel and knew didn't have a problem the evening before running all over the hotel, nor did he have a problem going to the car and bringing out luggage nor did he have a problem hopping on the shuttle. We saw him numerous times around the ship and not once was he using a wheelchair

But her plan worked because while we were standing outside in the heat waiting to enter the terminal all three came by with Dad in the wheelchair and she just smiled as they wheeled past us. I almost lost it.....

Like I said......Karma........

I have found that it's a few fellow cruisers who are are rude and insensitive. Most people will hold an elevator or a door for you but others can't seem to close the door fast enough in front of you./quote]

I have seen the other side of motorized sccoter drivers where they have been very rude and aggressive, where they think they have right of way on a cruise ship and just charge at other passengers forcing them out of the way. On one occassion, a scooter user charghed into a crowd and known a 5 y.o. over causing her to hit her head on the arm of a chair.

The vast majority of scooter users are just like passngers, courteous and helpful, but one always find bad apples.

Ron

Iv seen it too, after waiting for 3 filled elevators like after muster drill or a show when it is crowded, someone in a scooter, yells, coming thru, and doesnt care that you have waited 3 elevators already ..(by the way my sister is HC too, so she doesnt move as fast as some others).

Iv seen some in scooters with the sense of entitlement, but it seems to be a way of life in America too, not just HC or on cruiseships.

Another time we had a delay disembarking the ship and Carnival decided all the wheelchairs got the elevators and those of us who were supposedly taking our own luggage off waited until 10 am before the wheelchairs and 20 of their closest friends filled elevator after elevator.

Its almost always lopsided one director or another, no one believes in fair.

Ron

You are so right about some scooter users. I have always tried to be courteous when using my scooter.

Scooter users are people too -- just like everyone else, there are some who are pigs and some who are courteous.

Generally, people with any sort of disability should be given a hand -- be it just an earlier elevator or a slot in line ahead of you -- how much does it really cost? Of course, if you feel someone has been way out of line, it is perfectly appropriate to let them know that they are among people and should "play by the rules".

We are arriving on Cruise Express run by Yankee Trails from Albany and with our departure time we will arrive around 11:30 I'd guess. I am happy for the info.

Yes we are cruising on NCL and looking forward to it.

I am a scooter user due the living with MS. When it comes to cruising , I have found that scooter users fall into 2 catagories .

• First catagory are those that actually have to use a scooter for their daily living. This catagory, which I fall into, tends to be more courteous and expects no special treatment. We're generally thankful for the technology that helps us continue doing the things we love. This individual usually seeks the elevators less traveled even if it means going out of their way just so to avoid any crowded elevators. This individual is more likely to have an able body person jump in front of them trying to push their way into an elevator than they are in running into someone with their scooter. We generally wait our turn like everyone else and always try to be aware of our surroundings .
  • Second catagory, is first time users or sometime users that rent a scooter for a cruise thinking it's going to be easier and fun to get around the ship. Or their family rents it for them because they don't want to be slowed down by this family member. This individual has little to no experience in how to drive a scooter ,they generally don't understand that the scooter has a speed control dial and don't understand that there's such a thing as scooter etiquette. This catagory generally beleives that a using a scooter gives them a sense of entitlement and are saddly mistaken that it doesn't .

Bottom line .... Generally speaking the one time or sometime users give those of us that actually need a scooter for daily living a bad name. So if you ever see me on cruise ship with a scooter I'll be the one using the least traveled elevators, the one that's has dialed down the scooter speed to "TURTLE" ( scooter speed dials show a Turtle for slow and rabbit for fast ), the one telling the able body person to go ahead I'll take the next elevator, I always try to postion myself in the elevator so that other people can still get in . The one that tries to get to events early so as not to have my scooter impair anyone else from getting into the venue. Yes there is such a thing a scooter etiquette that should be practiced even by first time user and sometime users

Also I would like to thank all the able body people that have offered assistance when I cruise. Though I generally decline, it's comforting to know that there are still caring people in this world. Oh by the way I was abled body for most of my life . It's only been in recent years that the MS has made me dependent on the use of mobility equipment and it's been a very humbling experience. Looking forward to my next cruise this coming November.

I agree with XXOO. I'm a full time scooter user, due to post polio syndrome and I've found that those of us who are full time users, and not just someone who can walk, but uses one for convenience, are more polite when using the scooter. I never, and I mean NEVER, push my way onto an elevator, and at times I've had to wait for 5 or 6 elevators to arrive before I can get on one.

There are also inherent problems with the able bodied in many situations. The first being, many never move an inch to accommodate someone in a wheelchair or scooter, despite the fact that they are the only ones on the elevator. I always tell them "if you need to get off the elevator before I do, I'll gladly back out and let you off". But still, they refuse to budge. So in reality, both groups have to change their attitudes somewhat.

To the OP, no line I've been on has separate boarding for disabled. While you may get a bit of a boost to the front of the line, there is no special accommodations for wheelchairs or scooters.

I agree with XXOO. I'm a full time scooter user, due to post polio syndrome and I've found that those of us who are full time users, and not just someone who can walk, but uses one for convenience, are more polite when using the scooter. I never, and I mean NEVER, push my way onto an elevator, and at times I've had to wait for 5 or 6 elevators to arrive before I can get on one.

There are also inherent problems with the able bodied in many situations. The first being, many never move an inch to accommodate someone in a wheelchair or scooter, despite the fact that they are the only ones on the elevator. I always tell them "if you need to get off the elevator before I do, I'll gladly back out and let you off". But still, they refuse to budge. So in reality, both groups have to change their attitudes somewhat.

To the OP, no line I've been on has separate boarding for disabled. While you may get a bit of a boost to the front of the line, there is no special accommodations for wheelchairs or scooters.

While most people are considerate, there are jerks everywhere.

xxoo i also use an electric wheelchair due to MS. And you are SO RIGHT. I find it is the part timers, my feet get sore, my legs get sore, type of users that are the rudest and I think they have no idea about the speed of these machines.

In my case, my husband says I am way too nice! But I think karma's a b and those that are rude to me, will have their day!

be well cruise happy

From a parent of someone born disabled.

We just booked our cruise and after doing all the normal booking information the woman from the cruise line made a very interesting personalized comment in regards to our booking.

"if you want to go to the cabin with your son before doing anything else onboard, I suggest you try to be at the pier as early as you can 9am if possible. Luggage clutters the halls until usually 5pm and will make it difficult to go in and out until then."

Yet boarding doesn't start until 11am according to the paperwork she sent us. Does not say anything about pre boarding for the disabled or people in the expensive cabins.

I expect the halls on the first day to be very busy with people and luggage but was shocked the cruiseline itself made this suggestion.

Most cruiselines will not permit you anywhere near the cabins until at least 1 p.m. They usually have the fire doors closed so you can't even get into the hallways. You kind of need to take what customer service tells you with a grain of salt. Many of them have never even been on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Princess and Carnival allow people using wheelchairs and scooters and those with small kids and strollers to board after their loyalty program members do and before general boarding.

I travel with small kids all the time (for over 30 years) and never ever been told I could board before the general boarding.

If possible, I would recommend renting a scooter and not using the motorized wheel chair. Scooters are narrow enough to be able to maneuver into all of the cabin rooms. Sadly, I have seen several motorized chairs that were to wide and had to be parked a long way from the guests cabin.

We disembarked WESTERDAM last Saturday with a walker/wheel chair user in Seattle. On embarkation, we were directed to a line to board an elevator. That line was significantly shorter than the regular line. Once we were off the elevator, we were directed around the long line again to a line that was reserved for suite passengers and folks needing special assistance. After a short wait, we talked to our boarding agent, got our passes and boarded the ship.

Disembarkation was sort of the reverse process. We were directed into a line for the elevator, it was a little longer than the one we had for embarkation and it took a little longer, mostly due to the limited capacity of the elevator.

Over all, it was an easy experience.

John

Archived