Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

That's exactly the route they ended up taking! Took them 3.5 hours, start to finish due to getting turned back on the I-80.

So fabulous news.... they're on the ship!!! Just spoke with them. They were told at check-in (which was empty) that there were 100 cancellations so far. I imagine that number will rise once the ship sails.

I am just about to contact HAL to see if they'll let me board the ship in Bermuda.

Great news. Hope they have a wonderful cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Miss G*

That's exactly the route they ended up taking! Took them 3.5 hours, start to finish due to getting turned back on the I-80.

So fabulous news.... they're on the ship!!! Just spoke with them. They were told at check-in (which was empty) that there were 100 cancellations so far. I imagine that number will rise once the ship sails.

I am just about to contact HAL to see if they'll let me board the ship in Bermuda.

So happy to hear they made it there....... at last. :)

It must be a relief for you.

Hope they have a wonderful time on Veendam and in Bermuda.

Beach Spring, thanks so much for telling us what happened on board the Veendam. I really wondered how they were going to give rooms to the new passengers while the old ones were still on board. Great idea to go to the Marriott.

By the way, it's a beautiful day in NYC today so sail away this afternoon should be very nice.

Beach Spring, thanks so much for telling us what happened on board the Veendam. I really wondered how they were going to give rooms to the new passengers while the old ones were still on board. Great idea to go to the Marriott.

By the way, it's a beautiful day in NYC today so sail away this afternoon should be very nice.

Has the ship sailed yet? From the webcam, it appears to still be dockside.

Ron

Thank You so much Beach Spring for posting some info about your saga. I too was wondering how HAL would handle that separating the new pax from the old pax (so to speak). I will read the more expanded version too.

Also glad Charles & Miss G's parents made the ship. My boss has been trying to get to Albany, NY on a bus for several hours as some roads are still closed.

If you act fast you can catch Veendam on the Statue of Liberty webcam.

I wish everyone smooth sailing...

Denise

beach spring - I hope your review will say that you had a great cruise until the early departure for New York. It sounds like HAL was acting responsibly in getting back into New York so that those who could disembark and get out of the city could do so before everything shut down. It is too bad that the front desk on the Veendam was unable to know that you did not need to get out of your room. It would have been so much nicer not to have to pack and sit in waiting areas. I totally agree that they dropped the ball here. This would appear to be a negative example for Hospitality 101. It also seems that you were kept informed of the severity of the weather approaching New York, I assume that you were aware of the weather and that the early departure was because of a serious concern. I do not personally know any of the HAL captains, but from what I hear they are very much concerned for their passengers safety and keep them informed. What a disappointing end to a vacation, but I hope 90% of it was great. Cherie

Does the captain have a say so in these situations? Perhaps he has the final say?

Or is it all decided in Seattle for him, and he simply does as told?

I personally do not know, but from what others have posted on CC the captains are very much in control of the ship and do not do anything that will endanger passengers or ship. I also assume that the captain did not resign, or was not airlifted off of the Veendam before docking in New York. I do not know who the captian was on the Veendam, possibly he has a blog. Since a very educated decision was made to dock the Veendam in New York I am assuming that the captain was involved in that decision. I assume that Carnival, HAL, and senior personnel onboard the Veendam were included in all decisions. I think they made the right decision, but this is just my opinion. Cherie

if you saw Twitter and Facebook you would know that people outside the city were screaming fowl that they weren't "treated" to the horror they expected, calling it "a bust", etc.. I have never been so angry and have been ever since as you can tell.

There are sick people in this world evidently who get off on other's agony. I was as happy as you were that it was better than they thought, but it still was no walk in the park.

I understand what Heather means here. It is a sad state we have gotten ourselves to and some of the blame falls on the media who feels the need to put themselves into the center of any event and creates a carnival or sporting event atmosphere around them. We (our culture) are so wired (in more ways then one) these days that we not only expect the worse but are dissappointed if the show isn't intense enough for out liking in the end.

The storm was a horrible experience for may who lived through it (even more so for the few who didn't). But because the final event was far less damaging in the end many who were spectators felt a sense of being let down - rather than a sense of relief. Strange but true. And, not to be too irreverent - I'd wager more than a few of those WERE New Yorkers.

Such is human nature in the 21st Century.

I understand what Heather means here. It is a sad state we have gotten ourselves to and some of the blame falls on the media who feels the need to put themselves into the center of any event and creates a carnival or sporting event atmosphere around them. We (our culture) are so wired (in more ways then one) these days that we not only expect the worse but are dissappointed if the show isn't intense enough for out liking in the end.

The storm was a horrible experience for may who lived through it (even more so for the few who didn't). But because the final event was far less damaging in the end many who were spectators felt a sense of being let down - rather than a sense of relief. Strange but true. And, not to be too irreverent - I'd wager more than a few of those WERE New Yorkers.

Double post.

You are so right - for many, it was the ultimate reality show.

With our 24/7 news cycle, we get to go on scene for every school lockdown and police chase ... we're becoming a nation of voyeurs.

With Hurricane Irene, we were told of some worst-case scenarios.

I imagine some were hoping to see those played out on the screen.

If you've ever been in a hurricane - you'd be hoping for the best possible scenario, with minimal damage and no loss of life. It grieves me to see the people who have lost so much ... and it is heartbreaking to see the flooding, particularly in Vermont, which was hit so hard.

Well said, it is always strange when people really want to be the victim or see a train wreck. There were many that refused to approach Irene with the "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" attitude, attacked others for doing so, and then when they were not victims were unhappy. My friends in the New York and Connecticut area were absolutely thrilled that the "worst" did not occur. Although, Irene continues to be a horrendous storm for many areas along the East Coast, with severe flooding. Cherie

Sometimes people down here board or shutter up, buy the ice and flashlights and water, wait ... and then the storm weakens and doesn't hit hard.

And they get mad! Blame the media.

I always wonder: Would they have been happier if they'd lost a few trees, their pool screens got shredded, their roof tiles were ripped off? Would that have made it worthwhile?

Preparing for a hurricane is something you can only do before the storm ... it makes sense to do it. If you luck out and the storm is less than anticipated, it's good! :)

:eek: Try telling the people whose home or business floated away in rushing water that this was a not the 'worst case' scenario. Tell that to the people who still have no electric power and may not for a week. Tell it to those on Hatteras this storm wasn't so bad but it carved new waterways into their map. How about all those trees that feel on homes and business? How about the loss of life?

Tell it to the people who are now unemployed because their job blew away in the 'less than dramatic' winds. :(

I am so grateful DH and I and our home and his office came through safely. All our friends and those we love are safe and secure in their homes tonight. I am thankful for that.

This storm was quite bad enough to last me for the rest of my life. I don't need or want to see worse.

Sometimes people down here board or shutter up, buy the ice and flashlights and water, wait ... and then the storm weakens and doesn't hit hard.

And they get mad! Blame the media.

I always wonder: Would they have been happier if they'd lost a few trees, their pool screens got shredded, their roof tiles were ripped off? Would that have made it worthwhile?

Preparing for a hurricane is something you can only do before the storm ... it makes sense to do it. If you luck out and the storm is less than anticipated, it's good! :)

I've only been in Florida for a couple of hurricanes, so am not an expert. Unfortunately most of us in earthquake and tsunami country don't prepare like you do. I think Irene is a good reminder for us to have at least 48 hours of supplies on hand, and plenty of batteries. Cherie

Archived