Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

It's hard to see how most of the pax will be able to fly in early tomorrow morning in time to be on the ship by sailaway time at 2. It seems obvious the Veendam will leave late in the evening, but even so a lot of people won't be able to get on flights, if the airport is even open most of the day. Hopefully most of the no-shows have insurance to cover them.

I think there are very few people in the world who would expect their friends and family to handle everything back home and not bother them with the fact that their home had burned down. But perhaps I should ask around so I don't burden someone on their vacation with such distressing information ... I mean why ruin a perfectly good cruise when there's someone else to pick up the pieces?:rolleyes:.
It is not expect at all. It is what is called true friends. They could place two phone calls and professionals could handle it.

I would spend my time on the cruise worrying about what is going on back home if I knew my house burned down. Believe me I would rather have the time to destress before dealing with something that catastrophic. Again, it is just stuff but the memories I will take with me of a wonderful cruise are far more important.

This goes back to some poster who just wonders how people could be "that oblivious to cruise and not know there was a hurricane."

I can't tell either, but it's possible they are NYC Police boats, which usually patrol the area when cruise ships are in port to guard against possible terror attacks by small boats with explosives. As for taxis, I've been looking out the window for some time and haven't seen any on 42nd Street.

It was 3 tug boats, one of which was the Amy Moran. They were there to aid in anchoring the ship in the strong winds.

Here in CT we've lost power a few times, but it has come back. Fortunately no trees down in our area. It is still windy here and the back end of the storm has yet to come through. The storm is traveling at 26 mph versus 15 mph earlier..hopefully it will blow through really quickly. The eye is 15 miles south of Pittsfield, MA. Metro North has a lot of damage and it isn't known when it will reopen, this can affect people planning to take the train from CT into NYC to catch the Veendam or other cruises.

Glad everyone is safe!

Laura

It was 3 tug boats, one of which was the Amy Moran. They were there to aid in anchoring the ship in the strong winds.

Thanks, Laura, that explains it. By the way, taxis have begun to appear (but not very many compared to normal days) and traffic is still very light.

If she's leaving on Monday - I think she will not have a lot of passengers.

I looked at their roll call and a lot of people not happy - being told to drive there??:confused: I'm hunkering down. I wouldn't drive anywhere now

Hi everyone. After a frustrating few days trying to get info from the HAL site, I decided to check CC. My post probably won't be too helpful but I thought I'd weigh in.

My parents (who live in the greater Toronto area) are booked on this cruise. I am in VA and had tried to join them but the cruise was sold out. The HAL rep even told me it had been oversold! I bet if I showed up at the port I could go standby. lol

Anywho... I couldn't talk my parents out of driving down.... or, at the very minimum, at least making hotel reservations. I got the distinct impression that those who weren't in Irene's path weren't taking it seriously. In any event, I received a panic call from my Mum yesterday afternoon. They were en route and couldn't fail to notice all the evacuees going in the opposite direction. I managed to get them booked into a hotel 40 miles away in NJ, despite the fact that we were in the middle of the storm ourselves. *sheesh*

I've taken a look at New Jersey's emergency management site:

http://njoem.posterous.com/

Access to NYC is hindered by road closures and HAL's emergency info management # is a joke. So the parents are staying another night in NJ and will try to get to the port tomorrow in time for the sailing. I will log on and let you know how they got on.

I am now actively fighting the urge to pack up and join them. lol

Miss G, thanks for posting about your parents! Sounds like they didn't have as easy a time of it as another couple who drove down from Toronto.

I hope they make it up to NY and have a wonderful time however long it may be.

CoachT, I haven't missed a post so I knew what you were referring to.

I read the last couple pages of the roll call and think the passengers are in remarkably good humor considering everything.

Sheila, you are getting the dry side of the hurricane. There is no rain in that part, but a lot of wind. That's what I've been seeing on the news here ... that all the rain went over to the western side. But you should be out of it soon.

Meantime, lots of really bad after effects going on from this storm which was a lot more damaging than you would think just reading CC.

Friend of mine is flying back here tomorrow from the Hamptons on the first flight out of Islip for Southwest. They canceled their morning flights. So I'm just guessing that it will take awhile to get all the flights up to speed.

Glad I didn't dream up that thing about the tugs ... thanks, Laura, for confirming that. Gotta love those tugs!:)

As of right now, NY airports are scheduled to begin flights at noon. I don't see how anyone will make a flight if the ship leaves at 2pm. There are going to be a lot of empty cabins on that cruise.

I bet they will wait longer if they know passengers are on their way.

I am now actively fighting the urge to pack up and join them. lol

Maybe you should. I think it is suppose to be sunny and bright tomorrow, but that is north of New York so I am not exactly sure of the situation where they are.

NY Times online is reporting NY airports, per the Port Authority, are not opening until tomorrow night and it might be not until Tuesday. Airlines do not want to begin flying until passengers have public transportation available for use in order not to strand people.

Ron

NY Times online is reporting NY airports, per the Port Authority, are not opening until tomorrow night and it might be not until Tuesday. Airlines do not want to begin flying until passengers have public transportation available for use in order not to strand people.

Ron

What!?! You mean a transportation company is thinking beyond their own need to generate passenger dollars and worrying about the local logistics for their "guests". They must be concerned with generating repeat passenger bookings or something.....

This from NY Times online:

The region’s major airports remained closed, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said the earliest they would be reopened was Monday night or possibly Tuesday morning. Some airlines said that to make sure passengers did not end up stranded, they were waiting for the city’s buses and trains to start running again before resuming flights. A spokesman for JetBlue said the airline hoped to resume flights after 3 p.m. on Monday, depending on flooding conditions at Kennedy and La Guardia Airports.

At this rate, no one planning to fly in will be on the Veendam this week.

Miss G, where in NJ are your parents staying?

I sailed into Brooklyn yesterday (Saturday) on the Caribbean Princess. There were MANY people who had no hotel reservations and the airports were all closed. Many were flying to other countries and far away areas. The solution for most was to stay onboard, at a GREATLY reduced rate, and get off in Halifax and fly from there. Those who had reservations in NYC got off but those who didn't, stayed. Some for an entire cruise (which is what I wanted to do, but had to go to work Monday). Those with insurance had a much easier time, both in changing air arrangements and getting reimbursed for either hotels or cruise fares. The line was VERY helpful to everyone. And most surprising, all of those affected were in good spirits and there was absolutely no nastiness (that I heard of or saw). We got in a full hour early and everyone was off by 10:00 or so, and they sailed away 2 hours early.

I'd like to think that HAL was able to accomodate those in this dilema. I think HAL's scenario was a bit different because they were scheduled to come in on Sunday, but it seems to have been worked out nicely. Bon Voyage to those onboard!

I'd like to think that HAL was able to accomodate those in this dilema. I think HAL's scenario was a bit different because they were scheduled to come in on Sunday, but it seems to have been worked out nicely. Bon Voyage to those onboard!

How things will turn out is yet to be seen....

Miss G, where in NJ are your parents staying?

They are in Parsippany-Troy Hills.... about 40 miles from the cruise terminal. Which may as well be on the other side of the country if the roads are closed. lol

I wish I could find posts made by someone who just disembarked from that cruise and someone who has managed to make it on today.

Miss G, thanks for posting about your parents! Sounds like they didn't have as easy a time of it as another couple who drove down from Toronto.

I hope they make it up to NY and have a wonderful time however long it may be.

Thanks Heather! I hope so too.

Maybe you should. I think it is suppose to be sunny and bright tomorrow, but that is north of New York so I am not exactly sure of the situation where they are.

I am this close jumping in the car and driving up! I took a look at the Statue of Liberty cam and it's still pretty yucky there with the wind and overcast skies. Here in VA the wind has finally become a breeze and now we have sunshine. Kind of don't want to leave that. lol

Sheila, you are getting the dry side of the hurricane. There is no rain in that part, but a lot of wind. That's what I've been seeing on the news here ... that all the rain went over to the western side. But you should be out of it soon.

Heather, it's been a lovely day here....very strange! Windy for sure, but not any more so than during a Nor'easter...less, I think. No rain to speak of...and sunshine peaking through most of the day. ;)

It is not expect at all. It is what is called true friends. They could place two phone calls and professionals could handle it.

I would spend my time on the cruise worrying about what is going on back home if I knew my house burned down. Believe me I would rather have the time to destress before dealing with something that catastrophic. Again, it is just stuff but the memories I will take with me of a wonderful cruise are far more important.

This goes back to some poster who just wonders how people could be "that oblivious to cruise and not know there was a hurricane."

I totally agree with you! In fact, though obviously not as devastating as a fire, it has happened to our friends when we were watching their home, They had a water main break while they were on vacation and there was extensive damage. We did not contact them, though we could have. We had the house cleaned and dry when they got home. Yes they had insurance issues and lots of repairs, but except for pictures we took, they did not have to come back to a disaster or have their vacation ruined. They were very happy and I know they would take care of is should a problem arise. This is being a friend!

Heather, it's been a lovely day here....very strange! Windy for sure, but not any more so than during a Nor'easter...less, I think. No rain to speak of...and sunshine peaking through most of the day. ;)

That kind of makes up for how Hurricane Earl treated each of us last year. We've changed places for this one.

I sailed into Brooklyn yesterday (Saturday) on the Caribbean Princess. There were MANY people who had no hotel reservations and the airports were all closed. Many were flying to other countries and far away areas. The solution for most was to stay onboard, at a GREATLY reduced rate, and get off in Halifax and fly from there. Those who had reservations in NYC got off but those who didn't, stayed. Some for an entire cruise (which is what I wanted to do, but had to go to work Monday). Those with insurance had a much easier time, both in changing air arrangements and getting reimbursed for either hotels or cruise fares. The line was VERY helpful to everyone. And most surprising, all of those affected were in good spirits and there was absolutely no nastiness (that I heard of or saw). We got in a full hour early and everyone was off by 10:00 or so, and they sailed away 2 hours early.

I can't imagine the logistical nightmare for HAL...or any of the other cruise lines...affected by Irene. :eek:

Reading a live from the CB thread on the Princess board which is very interesting..800 people missed the ship on Sat.

I wonder how many people will miss the Veendam if it sails tomorrow.

Laura

PS I am very lucky in CT.. 48% of the state is without power, houses washed away in East Haven..and lots and lots of flooding. Schools are cancelled in many towns.

They told me that they had to leave by 2:00 by order of the port authority. Maybe there is another ship coming in?

I am trying to get in the city but so far no go. It is not looking good.

Archived