Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

I thought Mayor Bloomberg just made a good suggestion. If you have a spare sink or bathtub you can fill it with water in case you need it. Hopefully it will not be necessary in the non-evacuation zones but it can be helpful for flushing toilets, etc. Sounds like most of the northeast is prepared and ready for the worst, as were the Carolinas. Cherie

Just called the local number and they said no embarking until Monday at 8 am. Now why hasn't HAL said anything? No email or call and I leave tomorrow (well, now Monday). I would expect better communication. My question is who will pay for the hotel in NYC on Sunday? All these extra expenses that I have now plus the missed day on the ship. Will they be reimbursed or compensated? Or will HAL say it was an Act of God and refuse to pay anything even though they cut the cruise short by a day?

`*.¸.*´

¸.•´ ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ PLEASE Re-post this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! I ask to see this on all my friends walls!!! Please stay safe my dear friends , ~*♥♥*~

Just called the local number and they said no embarking until Monday at 8 am. Now why hasn't HAL said anything? No email or call and I leave tomorrow (well, now Monday). I would expect better communication. My question is who will pay for the hotel in NYC on Sunday? All these extra expenses that I have now plus the missed day on the ship. Will they be reimbursed or compensated? Or will HAL say it was an Act of God and refuse to pay anything even though they cut the cruise short by a day?

What does your cruise agreement state?

Did you purchase any kind of travel insurance? This is exact reasons why one should purchase travel insurance if you cannot afford to take on the additional expense then one should at least spend the money to purchase Travel Insurance. It would cover additional expenses such at hotel stay in cases such as this.

Yes I am sure HAL will say it is an act of God because that is exactly what it is.....I expect HAL will offer something like a certain percentage off a future cruise and maybe even something else. But the number one thing you must remember HAL is not picking on you alone, there is a whole ship of passengers in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. There seems to be several posting that feel like HAL is picking on just them and they alone should be compensated how could HAL possibly compensate each and every person when in all honest this is not their doing. I wish you luck and hope that when you do get on board Monday you can put this past you and enjoy the rest of your week of cruising to Bermuda. :)

Sorry, but I see no reason HAL should be expected to meet any of your added expenses. They don't control the weather any more than you do. Why should they pay a hotel bill? Why do others pay for insurance if HAL pays for those who don't have insurance?

I really don't want to sound 'mean' but I don't see this as HAL's responsibility to "compensate". (my least favorite word). In the end they may give something as a gesture of good public relations but that is optional on their part IMO

I hope it goes as smoothly for you as possible.

It's doubtful that HAL is going to do any reimbursing for hotels, etc.. since the delay is not their fault. Since the ship is sitting at the dock they may be in a better legal position to claim act of god status re: embarkation and sailing delays. HAL has been willing to let guests come aboard on Sunday, but now the city will be shut down, once again, not their fault.

Our society has trained us to look for someone to blame when things don't go our way. Unfortunately, this truly is an ACT OF GOD and the cruiseline is in no way to blame. This is one of those occurrances that called for some good travel insurance.

I was on the phone last night with my wife's neice who is traveling from MD to FL in early Dec to cruise. For the 4th time I mentioned insurance to her regarding this trip. Once again she said no. Now here she is battening down her home at the shore from Irene, and yet will not admit that a freak snow storm is possible in early Dec that might keep her flight on the ground. I'm driving down from Jacksonville for that crusie and am rethinking insurance myself.

My husband and I are scheduled for the 8/28 departure. We have not received any communication for HAL. Thank goodness for CC. HAL was slow on their website to post info. We are hoping to departure on Monday provided we can get to the pier from Long Island.

The notion that anyone will be able to get to the pier on Sunday, or that passengers will be able to disembark and make their way home, is risible. No one is going anywhere anytime soon. ALL public transportation has been suspended as of noon today. That includes the entire NYC subway system, Amtrak, Metro North, the LIRR, NJ Transit rail... You name it, it isn't going anywhere. And good luck trying to walk anywhere, what with all sorts of debris whirling about in Force Ten winds.

~Post Captain,

confined to lubberly quarters due west of the island of Manhattan, battening down the hatches and taping the windows (much good may that do)

Exactly. This is what I and a few others have been trying to say, but it's mostly falling on deaf ears and HAL certainly doesn't get it.

HAL is going to try to get that ship out of there "come Hell or High Water" so they don't have to incur the expense of refunding everyone's money. I get that. But meantime people are putting themselves at great risk to get themselves to NY in time to get on that ship and I don't care what anybody says, that's just plain wrong.

To defend HAL's stupid decision at this point in time is beyond all reason. But I'm certainly not surprised.

I totally understand the insurance issues but what really irks me is the lack of communication. HAL knows that they will not board on Sunday and yet they still are publishing false info on their website. If there are people who are trying to get to NYC for a Sunday board they should be notified, at least by email. But HAL has done nothing. No email or call. Only the posting that basically says "we say you can board but the city might not let you." Well shouldn't they at least be honest and tell the passengers they cannot board until Monday instead of making it seem like they can on their website advisory? It just seems a little unseemly and technolegal instead of just trying to help their passengers and keep them safe.

I may have missed this info, but are you flying into New York for the cruise or are you driving? It is surprising to me that they tell you not to come before Monday because I thought they had said you could arrive Sunday as planned. The communication is confusing, it's too bad you cannot talk to a "live" person. I know I am in the minority on this thread, but I cannot imagine that HAL will not try to make it up to you.

What a really unfortunate start to a vacation, I hope this is a vacation with an unbelievable beginning but a great ending. Cherie

I totally understand the insurance issues but what really irks me is the lack of communication. HAL knows that they will not board on Sunday and yet they still are publishing false info on their website. If there are people who are trying to get to NYC for a Sunday board they should be notified, at least by email. But HAL has done nothing. No email or call. Only the posting that basically says "we say you can board but the city might not let you." Well shouldn't they at least be honest and tell the passengers they cannot board until Monday instead of making it seem like they can on their website advisory? It just seems a little unseemly and technolegal instead of just trying to help their passengers and keep them safe.

Moondog, on these points I couldn't agree more!!!

I am often appalled but never surprised by the typically messed up manner in which the cruise lines mishandle communication in general and in emergencies in particular. The one sole exception is Carnival's handling of this same storm in San Juan. I just don't understand why the Carnival Corp hasn't stepped in to run emergency operations for all of their brands. They have the experience and the expertise to deal with this kind of thing in Miami, apparently not in Seattle.

There are two different issues here, IMO

One is the impossibility for guests to get to Veendam for Sunday boarding. That's ridiculous. We all know that isn't possible.

The other issue is who should pay guests' increased costs due to the inability to board. That is the guests' responsibility IMO and the reason for travel insurance. Had the guest purchased HAL's cancellation coverage, they could have cancelled for any reason and gotten most of their money back.

If they chose to not insure, they should not expect HAL to pay for weather disruptions to their travel.

I have stated throughout the year that I thought HAL generous last year to give us future cruise credits when our Maasdam cruise was cut short due to Hurricane Earl. They did not have to do that IMO

Should they compensate because they have not communicated well with their guests?

That's a whole different issue.

Only the posting that basically says "we say you can board but the city might not let you." Well shouldn't they at least be honest and tell the passengers they cannot board until Monday instead of making it seem like they can on their website advisory?
Anybody who has managed to already get into the city would only have to find a way to get to the terminal to board, wouldn't they? Are taxis operating?

Anybody within a short drive might be able to get into the parking garage very early Sun morning before it gets too bad and then get to the terminal.

So what HAL is saying is that these groups of people could board Sunday.

There are two different issues here, IMO

Should they compensate because they have not communicated well with their guests?

That's a whole different issue.

And an interesting question indeed....

I believe that there should be some sort of accomodation on-board. In the end the company will pay based on lost good will resulting in losing some guests who might have cruised with them again but now might not touch them with a ten foot pole.

Certainly what they will do will not be known until the ship is boarded and on the way. For all anyone knows the storm might mess things up so badly that they never make the cruise at all. All one can do is stand by and play the cards as they are dealt in as graceful fashion as possible.

Hal is really guilty of very poor communication with those passengers who will be trying to embark Sunday or Monday.

I feel bad for those passengers whose cruise will be cut short because of the storm, but that is not HAL's fault. It is really an ACT of GOD and I bet there is something in the contract (that most of us don't read) that releases them from responsibility in this situation.

I think what most of us on this board are upset about is the very poor planning and even poorer communication from HAL about their plans. I can't imagine how anyone will make their way to that ship Sunday morning in the middle of the full force of the storm.

Heavy rain just started here.

Well, I am in NYC and can get a taxi to the cruise terminal but according to the info from the local number I will not be allowed to board at the terminal. So do I go down there tomorrow with all of my luggage to then be told I cannot board? From the local number (which is the cruise terminal operator and not HAL) no one will be allowed to board. The big problem is if HAL allowed the passengers to stay over until Monday from the previous cruise how could we board even if the cruise terminal would let us in? That is where I have compensation issues. It seems that we are not able to get on board due to HAL not having the ship available due to previous cruisers not due to the terminal not being available. And that is when HAL is responsible. They say the ship is available but is it? If previous cruisers are onboard how can it be available?

Anybody who has managed to already get into the city would only have to find a way to get to the terminal to board, wouldn't they? Are taxis operating?

Yes, they are, for now. Who knows once the brunt of the storm is on top of us later tonight and tomorrow.

Anybody within a short drive might be able to get into the parking garage very early Sun morning before it gets too bad and then get to the terminal.
The bridges into Manhattan will be closed if the wind gets to dangerous. Who knows if the tunnels will get closed/flooded.

HAL's reasoning in not letting an 8-28-11 switch to the 9-11 cruise is simple: they still can sell an open cabin for the 9-11 cruise to a new customer and they have already sold a cabin to Sagedeb for 8-28. 2 cabins sold and paid for.

If they switch Sagedeb to a cabin on the 9-11 they can't sell her unoccupied cabin on the 8-28 cruise because of the storm. Only 1 cabin sold.

Cruiselines don't like being nice guys and losing any money.

Of course is sagedeb had cancellation protection HAL offers she could cancel and either get 80% or 90% back for cancel for any reason, and perhaps would even get similar by cancelling and going through a 3rd party insurance if the situation up to present would be covered by them.

To pare down the explanation I quoted above, the cruise is still going out even if delayed a bit... you cancel within the week of sailing, you're at 100% cancel fees without insurance of some kind.

I am not trying to go next week - Per my post, I am trying to go on the 11th and there are TONS of cabins...I don't want to cancel - I want to go on a cruise to Bermuda for SEVEN days out of a port that is ACCESSIBLE and when I don't have to try to get there in a hurricane and every other cruise line has made accommodations for their passengers. Don't think that is unreasonable or too much to ask.

So since you seem to speak of what is reasonable and makes sense so much, I trust you protected your vacation investment.

Cancel and get money back from however you protected it, and apply that money into the 9/11 sailing.

Problem solved...

My husband and I are scheduled for the 8/28 departure. We have not received any communication for HAL. Thank goodness for CC. HAL was slow on their website to post info. We are hoping to departure on Monday provided we can get to the pier from Long Island.

HAL called me yesterday with the info.

Well, I am in NYC and can get a taxi to the cruise terminal but according to the info from the local number I will not be allowed to board at the terminal. So do I go down there tomorrow with all of my luggage to then be told I cannot board? From the local number (which is the cruise terminal operator and not HAL) no one will be allowed to board. The big problem is if HAL allowed the passengers to stay over until Monday from the previous cruise how could we board even if the cruise terminal would let us in? That is where I have compensation issues. It seems that we are not able to get on board due to HAL not having the ship available due to previous cruisers not due to the terminal not being available. And that is when HAL is responsible. They say the ship is available but is it? If previous cruisers are onboard how can it be available?

That is interesting if true. That we can't board Sunday. I hope they will confirm that so none go down there and not be able to board.

As far as compensation I would hold my horses on that question. They are not going to decide that until after the dust settles.

Archived