Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

And one free glass of wine?

When our Maasdam cruise ended days early last September due to Hurricane Earl' date=' HAL gave us all a credit off future cruise. The amount of the credit was a percentage off the fare we had paid for our cruise. I thought that decent of them as they did not have to do that.[/b']

And yes, they offered a glass of champagne (sparkling wine) to everyone and they didn't have to do that either.

Most of all they kept everyone safe and whether we agreed with their decisions or not, the fact is everyone walked away safely. (Of course, Earl never did hit Boston but it did move to the Canadian Maritimes.)

We rinse out the cardboard Orange Juice/Milk containers and fill them with water. We keep them on the door of our freezer and they are ready to use for times like this, picnics, travel, etc. They work great in the cooler take longer to melt than the cubes. A little late for anyone now, but something to think about for the future.

I did feeze case of water bottles in the big freezer. The extra ice cube trays went in the freezer 'section'. I always have the blue ice pack thingees to put in cooler in my car trunk for when I grocery shop in heat of summer. If I had thought of it, I would have bought more of those. Oh well...... fingers crossed we won't need them.

Maybe I should have DH pick up more wine on his way home. :eek:

Sail, I would definitely have DH pick up more wine on his way home!! You might need a drink;) and stores might not be open for a while.

Praying for you there and hoping this thing heads out to the ocean - unfortunately it looks like we are all in for it:( Stay safe and 'hunker' down - I'm cooking on the bbq now for tomorrow. Best to everyone on the Atlantic Seaboard in the US and those in Quebec and the Maritime provinces. It's not going to be a smooth ride:(

Just a word of caution from an experienced loss of power planner, if you have an automatic ice maker and expect power to go out, TURN OFF THE ICEMAKER NOW and empty the cubes into ziploc bags or container to keep in your cooler. Otherwise you will end up with a large container of water that can even overflow when it has all melted. I have had water dripping down from my ice compartment into all my now unfrozen food, onto the floor beneath and it is a mess you don't want to see.

And don't freeze unopened bottles of water without loosening the caps and emptying some of the water. They expand as they freeze and can explode.

Meantime, back on the Veendam :) ............ I don't think HAL owes anyone a refund for canceling by choice if the cruise is the length and of similar nature to the one they booked. But if it is shortened or changed in a major way, then they absolutely need to make things right for the consumer. That's just good business.

We will see as this all plays out how HAL handles the rest of this debacle, but so far not so good (imho;)).

The rain stopped and we're just waiting now. Almost all of the cities in lower Westchester county are in a declared state of emergency. Parts of each city are along Long Island Sound and also on the Hudson River.

Someone said the Hudson River doesn't have storm surges. Anyone know if this is true?

The rain stopped and we're just waiting now. Almost all of the cities in lower Westchester county are in a declared state of emergency. Parts of each city are along Long Island Sound and also on the Hudson River.

Someone said the Hudson River doesn't have storm surges. Anyone know if this is true?

Certainly the lower river will experience tide of varying degrees depending on the water volume flowing down to the mouth. To the extent that there is tidal activity it can experience the same degree of surge. Yesterday I saw a map showing the area's of expected problems and most of the River along downtown was shown to be a problem. Mid town, though seemed to be clear of expected danger.

With the current flowing downstream, an upstream surge would probably be overwhelmed by outflow before it got up to where the piers are. In any case, it wouldn't be a huge wave like a tsunami. The storm surge is an issue for flooding of land areas. I don't think it's an issue for the ship.

If the river gets choppy enough from wind, that could move the ship. Plus gusts blowing against the ship could move it. The ship could move back and forth and bang into the pier. I'm surprised the pier management isn't trying to make them leave.

Any updates on the ships in NYC today?

With the current flowing downstream, an upstream surge would probably be overwhelmed by outflow before it got up to where the piers are. In any case, it wouldn't be a huge wave like a tsunami. The storm surge is an issue for flooding of land areas. I don't think it's an issue for the ship.

If the river gets choppy enough from wind, that could move the ship. Plus gusts blowing against the ship could move it. The ship could move back and forth and bang into the pier. I'm surprised the pier management isn't trying to make them leave.

Any updates on the ships in NYC today?

I just read on Weather.com that the surge threat is down south, at Battery Park. It is odd that they'd prefer to tie up given the threat from winds. Also seems strange to invite folks to stay on board during the worst of it while at pier. Strangest of all that they are telling inbound to board on Sunday while offering outbound the option of staying on board till Monday.

Who is running logistic for this event? It can't be on the ground or on-board. This seems like a case where Carnival Corp. should have stepped in.

I just read on Weather.com that the surge threat is down south, at Battery Park. It is odd that they'd prefer to tie up given the threat from winds. Also seems strange to invite folks to stay on board during the worst of it while at pier. Strangest of all that they are telling inbound to board on Sunday while offering outbound the option of staying on board till Monday.

Who is running logistic for this event? It can't be on the ground or on-board. This seems like a case where Carnival Corp. should have stepped in.

From what I gather, pax on board have been told it's OK to stay until Monday. I find it interesting that the website is saying (10 AM today) that inbound pax are welcome to leave today or stay through Sunday, not Monday. Then, for incoming pax, they say they may board on Sunday but should know that with the city pretty much shut down they may not be able to get to the pier. Sooooo, incoming folks are warned they may not be able to reach the ship, but arriving pax should disembark on Sunday. And where do they go if the city is shut down?????

We're getting very heavy rain right now.

Hope the luggage for arriving guests on Maasdam has been covered is is already lifted aboard..... If not, I certainly hope the people lined their suitcases with plastic dry cleaner bags before packing. I also lay plastic bag on bottom, bring it up the sides and then lay another bag or two across the top when I am finished packing. It gives us a change or our clothes staying dry if the bag is left in the rain.

They are particularly worried about the water and storm surge in lower Manhattan. Our son and his family were evacuated just east of there.

I'm following this storm closely in NC because we have a special Paradise interest there. The people there are telling me that the backside of this storm came as a big surprise. They somehow thought since they were a bit west of the eye that the worst was over. Then they got slammed.

They are announcing some changes in the path. The projections are now spreading out so nothing is sure. If it tracks toward the west, much more water will be pulled up into the Hudson River ... not a good thing. Some models show it tracking more to the east which would be better for the city, but not so nice for people on Long Island.

Hope the luggage for arriving guests on Maasdam has been covered is is already lifted aboard..... If not, I certainly hope the people lined their suitcases with plastic dry cleaner bags before packing. I also lay plastic bag on bottom, bring it up the sides and then lay another bag or two across the top when I am finished packing. It gives us a change or our clothes staying dry if the bag is left in the rain.

That's why I pack everything in my bags in large ziploc bags. Have watched it be left on the tarmac at an airport, when the crews had to run inside due to lightning.

Unfortunately, not true. The Hudson is a tidal river as far north as Troy, NY.

For more information about Irene and her possible effects, see

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1899

Under the heading Irene's storm surge may flood New York City's subway system, the author writes:

"The floodwalls protecting Manhattan are only five feet above mean sea level. During the December 12, 1992 Nor'easter, powerful winds from the 990 mb storm drove an 8-foot storm surge into the Battery Park on the south end of Manhattan. The ocean poured over the city's seawall for several hours, flooding the NYC subway and the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH) train systems in Hoboken New Jersey. FDR Drive in lower Manhattan was flooded with 4 feet of water, which stranded more than 50 cars and required scuba divers to rescue some of the drivers. Mass transit between New Jersey and New York was down for ten days, and the storm did hundreds of millions in damage to the city. Tropical Storm Floyd of 1999 generated a storm surge just over 3 feet at the Battery, but the surge came at low tide, and did not flood Manhattan. The highest water level recorded at the Battery in the past century came in September 1960 during Hurricane Donna, which brought a storm surge of 8.36 feet to the Battery and flooded lower Manhattan to West and Cortland Streets. However, the highest storm surge on record in New York City occurred during the September 3, 1821 hurricane, the only hurricane ever to make a direct hit on the city. The water rose 13 feet in just one hour at the Battery, and flooded lower Manhattan as far north as Canal Street, an area that now has the nation's financial center. The total surge is unknown from this greatest New York City hurricane, which was probably a Category 2 storm with 110 mph winds. NOAA's SLOSH model predicts that a mid-strength Category 2 hurricane with 100-mph winds could drive a 15 - 20 foot storm surge to Manhattan, Queens, Kings, and up the Hudson River. JFK airport could be swamped, southern Manhattan would flood north to Canal Street, and a surge traveling westwards down Long Island Sound might breach the sea walls that protect La Guardia Airport. Many of the power plants that supply the city with electricity might be knocked out, or their docks to supply them with fuel destroyed. The more likely case of a Category 1 hurricane hitting at high tide would still be plenty dangerous, with waters reaching 8 - 12 feet above ground level in Lower Manhattan. Given the spread in the models, I predict a 20% chance that New York City will experience a storm surge in excess of 8 feet that will over-top the flood walls in Manhattan and flood the subway system. This would most likely occur near 8 pm Sunday night, when high tide will occur and Irene should be near its point of closest approach. Such a storm surge could occur even if Irene weakens to a tropical storm on its closest approach to New York City."

The notion that anyone will be able to get to the pier on Sunday, or that passengers will be able to disembark and make their way home, is risible. No one is going anywhere anytime soon. ALL public transportation has been suspended as of noon today. That includes the entire NYC subway system, Amtrak, Metro North, the LIRR, NJ Transit rail... You name it, it isn't going anywhere. And good luck trying to walk anywhere, what with all sorts of debris whirling about in Force Ten winds.

~Post Captain,

confined to lubberly quarters due west of the island of Manhattan, battening down the hatches and taping the windows (much good may that do)

The NYC Webcam (http://wirednewyork.com/webcam3/) is showing the Veendam and a Carnival ship. Earlier, I could see an NCL ship from my window (I live in the L-shaped building in the foreground of the webcam's image) but it left port some time ago.

Yes, that's what I can see when it loads. It's not loading the picture for me now.

Where do you live sails? My daughter is in DE and she is waiting it out. They told the students at her university to try to go home if possible. She is busy doing laundry in case she loses power. We are hoping and praying for the best possible outcome with this storm!!!

I heard that on the weather channel this morning. They have a map that show the areas subject to surge. It included lots of inlets like the Chesapeake Bay but around NYC it included the area all around Long Island. They said something about because of the two entrances, the surge beyond would not be so bad. I imagine that means that if the surge is from the east, it can flow out through the south. If the surge comes in from the south, it can flow out to the east.

We're about 30 minutes from Boston.

Rain has now ceased (temporarily) but there was some wild thunder in what we got.

Your daughter is smart.... got her clothes washed. I did two loads yesterday, just in case. :) I didn't want dirty clothes sitting around in the hamper for days.

I'm trying to imagine if Maasdam was trying to do a big load today, seeing she just came transatlantic from 35 days away from U.S., how they managed in that wild rain.

Archived