Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

FOX News just now reported that Boston has just announced that ALL Boston Mass Transit will be closed tomorrow.

Is the Maasdam due to sail out tomorrow?? If so, how will some people get to the port?

I have no idea what it is like in Boston so am asking if this wil be a problem??

Joanie

FOX News just now reported that Boston has just announced that ALL Boston Mass Transit will be closed tomorrow.

Is the Maasdam due to sail out tomorrow?? If so, how will some people get to the port?

I have no idea what it is like in Boston so am asking if this wil be a problem??

Joanie

Well, cue all the people that bash Maasdam's situation as well then...

Presumably, Maasdam has sailed already.

IF all went as scheduled, Maasdam returned to Boston this morning, debarked her Voyage of the Viking guests and embarked her Canada/New England guests for seven day sailing to Montreal. (There was a change to her itinerary for this cruise.)

We have heavy rain in Boston but it is only outer bands of Irene. The 'full storm' is still hours from us.

I just heard the announcement the "T" (Boston's transit system) will be shut down tomorrow. It will have no impact on Maasdam if she sailed at 5:00 this afternoon, or thereabouts.

Presumably, Maasdam has sailed already.

IF all went as scheduled, Maasdam returned to Boston this morning, debarked her Voyage of the Viking guests and embarked her Canada/New England guests for seven day sailing to Montreal. (There was a change to her itinerary for this cruise.)

We have heavy rain in Boston but it is only outer bands of Irene. The 'full storm' is still hours from us.

I just heard the announcement the "T" (Boston's transit system) will be shut down tomorrow. It will have no impact on Maasdam if she sailed at 5:00 this afternoon, or thereabouts.

Sail, I was not sure of when she was sailing, today, tomorrow or Monday and did not wish to start a panic, that's why I asked here.

Good to hear she has made it out and will be ahead of Irene!!

I hope all of you in her path stay safe!!

Joanie

Our society has trained us to look for someone to blame when things don't go our way. Unfortunately, this truly is an ACT OF GOD and the cruiseline is in no way to blame. This is one of those occurrances that called for some good travel insurance.

True but isn't this one of those occurrances that we hope and expect that HAL also had some good insurance?...Especially since they sail during the hurricane season...The passengers are always supposed to have insurance why not the cruiselines.

True but isn't this one of those occurrances that we hope and expect that HAL also had some good insurance?...Especially since they sail during the hurricane season...The passengers are always supposed to have insurance why not the cruiselines.

Certainly they do have insurance, many different kinds. One of them is the Cruise Contract that one signs agreement too when booking which eleviates them from responsibity in cases like this.

As of right now (7:34p EDT) she's about 40 miles ENE of Boston, according to marinetraffic.com/ais/

:) Good news, John.

Happy she is safely on her way and has left Boston before Irene arrives.

<snip>

I hope all of you in her path stay safe!!

Joanie

Thanks, Joanie. This storm really has me nervous.

Certainly they do have insurance, many different kinds. One of them is the Cruise Contract that one signs agreement too when booking which eleviates them from responsibity in cases like this.

That's not "insurance"...If they had "insurance" they would not have to avoid any responsibility.

Some of the postings on Facebook seem to indicate that a lot of passengers got off on Saturday while some elected to stay onboard until Monday. It seems some type of unspecified compensation was offered. Also, it was stated that onboard guests were well informed of their options during the ordeal. I couldn't quite determine what the plan will be for Sunday if anyone will be able to board.

Ron

Well, I am in NYC and can get a taxi to the cruise terminal but according to the info from the local number I will not be allowed to board at the terminal. So do I go down there tomorrow with all of my luggage to then be told I cannot board? From the local number (which is the cruise terminal operator and not HAL) no one will be allowed to board. The big problem is if HAL allowed the passengers to stay over until Monday from the previous cruise how could we board even if the cruise terminal would let us in? That is where I have compensation issues. It seems that we are not able to get on board due to HAL not having the ship available due to previous cruisers not due to the terminal not being available. And that is when HAL is responsible. They say the ship is available but is it? If previous cruisers are onboard how can it be available?

It seems like some passengers got off and some are staying until Monday. I know if it was me, and a taxi was available, I would try to board tomorrow. I know that not everyone would take the chance, but originally I thought they said you could board on Sunday. It is taking a chance, and I would have the taxi wait a couple of minutes. You know that if a taxi is out and about it is safe to get to the terminal. Good luck to you and have a great cruise. Cherie

I wonder if Veendam was supposed to do a big load of stores or was scheduled to bunker fuel. Not lilkely she'll get that load before she sails next, or maybe she will?

It seems they always load stores and offload garbage between cruises. I don't think I've ever sailed out of NYC on a cruise that didn't take on fuel. Hmm, could low fuel have been a reason to go directly to NYC? Ships don't usually take on fuel in Bermuda.

About 30-45 min ago, the NYC local CBS station was showing shots of the city. It's a ghost town! Then they showed a view of the Veendam. (The guy pronounced in ven DEEM, but never mind) He said that the ship was staying in New York by special permission and that it was the first time a cruise ship has tried to ride out a hurricane in port. Don't know if they got the first part from the mayor, coastguard, or the HAL website. And I don't know if the second part is true. Then he said, in an incredulous tone of voice, "And we're told there are some PASSENGERS aboard!"

Just started pouring buckets again here in NJ!

Well, I am in NYC and can get a taxi to the cruise terminal but according to the info from the local number I will not be allowed to board at the terminal. So do I go down there tomorrow with all of my luggage to then be told I cannot board? From the local number (which is the cruise terminal operator and not HAL) no one will be allowed to board. The big problem is if HAL allowed the passengers to stay over until Monday from the previous cruise how could we board even if the cruise terminal would let us in? That is where I have compensation issues. It seems that we are not able to get on board due to HAL not having the ship available due to previous cruisers not due to the terminal not being available. And that is when HAL is responsible. They say the ship is available but is it? If previous cruisers are onboard how can it be available?

Since the passengers onboard now are not required to be off the ship until Monday, there is no way they will allow next week's passengers to get on tomorrow. I admit that's a guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure they will want that ship completely cleared before boarding new passengers.

I have been glued to the continuing news regarding this storm because I have friends and family directly in its path. Add to that the fact that I have a great love for NYC having lived there for 20 years.

NYC is going to be basically in lockdown, certainly from a public transportation standpoint, through Monday. It is not going to be easy for anyone to get anywhere. There is going to be flooding. This is a terrible mess. I feel for all the passengers wanting to get off the ship and those hoping to get on. I feel so badly they have to either begin or end what was supposed to be a wonderful vacation this way.

In the end it's about all these people. And in my opinion HAL has really let them down. There is no other way to see this. Is the weather HAL's fault? Of course not! But how they handle the situation is still their responsibility.

If it were me, even if there were some sort of financial reimbursement it wouldn't make up for the shoddy handling of the whole thing. But that's me.

It seems like some passengers got off and some are staying until Monday. I know if it was me, and a taxi was available, I would try to board tomorrow. I know that not everyone would take the chance, but originally I thought they said you could board on Sunday. It is taking a chance, and I would have the taxi wait a couple of minutes. You know that if a taxi is out and about it is safe to get to the terminal. Good luck to you and have a great cruise. Cherie

I assume you aren't anywhere near us or have any NY news? There is going to be a HURRICANE tomorrow. The eye is forecast to pass us at around noon and the entire storm wont be out until after 6pm. We will start getting serious parts of the storm at midnight and this will linger causing majory surges. Bloomberg has told the city to remain inside 24 hours, from 9pm sat to 9pm sunday. Good luck getting a cab, tough enough during a normal rain when the port area isnt flooded.

I am really in shock that ship is still in port, this really isnt a joke. So here is a new question, if I am scheduled to sail sept 4 and have no insurance and the ship is severely damaged because of the crazy decision to ride this out, do i get compensation or refund if cancelled? I'm less than impressed with HAL so far...

The website Advisory does say access to the terminal and boarding may not be available and to call that NYC # for current information. To me that means it is not HAL's decision whether you can board or not, but NYC government policy on whether the terminal is closed and whether there are govt officials there for processing. If you were told there would be no access to boarding I would call again in the morning, but I think the responsibility for going to the terminal is now between pax and NYC, not HAL. Or at least that is what HAL will say if you go down there and get stranded or whatever. Will you have a place to stay if you get turned away?

The other cruiselines involved with cruises this weekend in and out of the NY area handled the situation with one policy stated 2-3 days ago. Pax knew what was going to happen and where they were supposed to go when. They could make arrangements. HAL at this point has closed down their offices for the weekend as usual and haven't even changed their website advisory to what pax are now being told by NYC officials. It truly boggles the mind and is very very disappointing. Do they have any idea how many customers and potential customers they have lost for good this weekend. Heads should roll in Seattle. They desperately need to restructure their customer service/PR dept and get someone in there who has a clue.

A BIG question was raised earlier this evening by another CC member here on this thread that has made me pause to rethink HAL's inability/irresponsibility regarding the Veendam.

1. Refueling..... I have had the Wired New York Web Cam 3 up and running since it was first mentioned mush earlier today by the CC member who lives in the L shaped building in the foreground. http://wirednewyork.com/webcam3/

Question: Has ANYONE watching either via the Web Cam or live seen any refueling going on?

2. If no refueling going on or having been done in NYC due to Refuelers, etc, being sent home early and not being refueled in Bermuda (someone else mentioned that)

Question: Can the Veendam not have enough fueel on board to get out to sea and ride the hurricane out safely there?

We are all blaming HAL's mentality on this, but could it be pure and simply that they do not have the fuel and therefore MUST stay at the pier?

3. Finally, Hotels....

Question: If everyone was told to evacuate, and they did, would there be hotels that are open with enough staff to handle the 2,700 (1,350 embarkation & 1,350 disembarking) passengers who'd be stuck in NYC with no transportation out of the city or area?

I believe that HAL was wrong in their notification, advisories, lack of communication with us, the land passengers (I am thinking of all CC members in that category) who are worried that HAL has let us down. BUT, I am hoping the true facts is fuel, hotel accommodations and transportation....

From the few posts I have read from passengers who disembarked the Veendam today, they were kept well informed by HAL while on board of everything going on. So this is what has me asking the above questions.

Joanie

I assume you aren't anywhere near us or have any NY news? There is going to be a HURRICANE tomorrow. The eye is forecast to pass us at around noon and the entire storm wont be out until after 6pm. We will start getting serious parts of the storm at midnight and this will linger causing majory surges. Bloomberg has told the city to remain inside 24 hours, from 9pm sat to 9pm sunday. Good luck getting a cab, tough enough during a normal rain when the port area isnt flooded.

I am really in shock that ship is still in port, this really isnt a joke. So here is a new question, if I am scheduled to sail sept 4 and have no insurance and the ship is severely damaged because of the crazy decision to ride this out, do i get compensation or refund if cancelled? I'm less than impressed with HAL so far...

Actually...I am fully aware of the hurricane coming to New York. You may have missed the very important words I used in my reply. "If it was me, and a taxi was available", and "if a taxi is out and about." If the hurricane arrives and floods the streets of NYC there will be NO taxis out. I understand that there are those posting on this board that do not want anyone to think that the possibility exists that NYC will not be under 10 feet of water tomorrow morning. I am sorry that you wish to make personal accusations, however, IF a taxi is available and the OP can check in, I would be there with my suitcases. I am hopeful that NYC will not be under 10 feet of water tomorrow, I know it is going to be a horrible storm with lots of wind and rain, but I am hopeful. I respect your opinion but it is different than mine. Unfortunately the other obstacle is the possible lack of govt. personnel to process the passengers. I am thankful that so many precautions have been taken to prevent loss of life.

Cherie

Actually...I am fully aware of the hurricane coming to New York. You may have missed the very important words I used in my reply. "If it was me, and a taxi was available", and "if a taxi is out and about." If the hurricane arrives and floods the streets of NYC there will be NO taxis out. I understand that there are those posting on this board that do not want anyone to think that the possibility exists that NYC will not be under 10 feet of water tomorrow morning. I am sorry that you wish to make personal accusations, however, IF a taxi is available and the OP can check in, I would be there with my suitcases. I am hopeful that NYC will not be under 10 feet of water tomorrow, I know it is going to be a horrible storm with lots of wind and rain, but I am hopeful. I respect your opinion but it is different than mine. Unfortunately the other obstacle is the possible lack of govt. personnel to process the passengers. I am thankful that so many precautions have been taken to prevent loss of life.

Cherie

IF the sun is out tomorrow I will head to the beach and tan-in all likelihood i will be huddled in an interior room most of the day and i'm guessing the cab drivers will be too. But you are correct, IF there are cabs out and IF the city was open and there was no hurricane then it's a great idea to go there :)

um, i think i missed the personal accusations? i am very sorry if my comments have offended you, i was simply being realistic and didnt' realize you were sensitive.

New York City is one of the world's largest and busiest ports. I think we can all assume there is enough fuel there to get a small cruiseship on its way out to sea if it wants to go.

New York City has hundreds and hundreds of hotels, handles thousands and thousands of tourists daily in addition to business clientele and a monster convention business. I'm sure 2700 people are not going to throw any hotel staff into a tizzy. And there wouldn't be anywhere near that number since so many pax on a cruise out of NYC live in the NY metropolitan area. I'm sure every hotel in the city is open and Carnival Corp should have enough clout to get people rooms.

New York City is one of the world's largest and busiest ports. I think we can all assume there is enough fuel there to get a small cruiseship on its way out to sea if it wants to go.

New York City has hundreds and hundreds of hotels, handles thousands and thousands of tourists daily in addition to business clientele and a monster convention business. I'm sure 2700 people are not going to throw any hotel staff into a tizzy. And there wouldn't be anywhere near that number since so many pax on a cruise out of NYC live in the NY metropolitan area. I'm sure every hotel in the city is open and Carnival Corp should have enough clout to get people rooms.

Including the 370,000 people living in low lying areas that were required to evacuate?

Ron

Archived