Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

And some of us do not feel a need to be kept informed by a bunch of no nothing talking heads

It is like how I feel if my house were to catch on fire and be destroyed while on vacation. I would in no way want to be contacted. There is nothing I could do about it from the ocean and I would rather just enjoy my vacation

Really?

Hi, I live 10 minutes from the Cape. Weather forecast for here tomorrow is sunny! Right now it is raining pretty hard, strong gusts of wind...a tree is lying across the road in front of my house. The bus trip for tomorrow should be fine.

We flight out of Boston next Sunday for our Alaska cruise. Hope Jose doesn't visit us too!

I am SO HAPPY Maasdam is out of Boston.

We have Pounding, torrential rain right now and winds are blowing. This is no 'mere' rainstorm and it is, by no means, over.

I definitely would not want to be on the roads right now.

I was just able to load the NY wired web cam 3 and I can see the Veendam but the picture is so foggy I can't make out if there are tug boats there or not.

I can't tell either, but it's possible they are NYC Police boats, which usually patrol the area when cruise ships are in port to guard against possible terror attacks by small boats with explosives. As for taxis, I've been looking out the window for some time and haven't seen any on 42nd Street.

Yes! Why is that so hard to fathom?

Well, even if someone does not care about their personal belongings, if their house burns down perhaps they should be concerned about debris blowing down the street and damaging another house, car, or even a person. In the very least most people would contact their insurance company, local authorities to tell them you are alive, if not make arrangements for someone to go out and access the situation to see if it is a danger for others.

Well, even if someone does not care about their personal belongings, if their house burns down perhaps they should be concerned about debris blowing down the street and damaging another house, car or even a person. In the very least most people would contact their insurance company, if not family or friends who could access the situation.

Conversely Fam and friends could handle situation and not disturb my cruise with needless worry over something I have no control from several hundred I'd thousand miles away.

I am SO HAPPY Maasdam is out of Boston.

We have Pounding, torrential rain right now and winds are blowing. This is no 'mere' rainstorm and it is, by no means, over.

I definitely would not want to be on the roads right now.

Stay safe, Judy. We've been told that trees can still come down a few days from n ow because the ground is so saturated. Let us know when the storm has passed you.

Conversely Fam and friends could handle situation and not disturb my cruise with needless worry over something I have no control from several hundred I'd thousand miles away.

I guess we are not that selfish to let family and friends handle a burning house without our assistance because we would not want to have our "cruise disturbed". Is something wrong with your cell phone? My guess is that you are in the minority.

:rolleyes:

If they manage to set sail Monday at 2:00 PM it should be an interesting ride. Between the waves left by Irene and the waves west of Bermuda caused by Jose it will probably be a very rough trip.

I read some posts live from the Caribbean Princess and it sounded like quiet a night out there.

Praying all you east coasters stay safe.

Thank you. I've alternated between nervous and scared from the time I woke up this morning. The worst seems to have passed, but it's still pretty wild out there.

Oh-oh, the wind's back.

the damage could have been more widespread, but there are a lot of areas and roads that are very damaged and flooded, power is out and trees are down. i dont think it was overhyped, manhattan and coastal areas of nyc are so densly populated it would be too difficult to evacuate later on all at once. all it took was the storm to be a little stronger and move slower. it really is better to be prepared and the storm was no picnic to sleep through. to those tourists and residents walking around manhattan especially where there are large trees please be careful, it may look calm but there are damaged trees that can still come down. people were killed by falling trees walking around central park earlier this year and that was after a storm was over.

The wind has picked up significantly here in Brooklyn again. That's not stopping people from going out to take a look, though.

And then when they hit and injured by a flying object they will be looking for someone to sue. :confused::confused::confused:

Glad the worse is over here in NJ although the wind picks up now and again. Lots of branches and siding blown down. Areas prone to flooding are still in for another few bad days as well. Last night was pretty horrific with the TV being interrupted with screeching warnings about tornadoes. One did touch down in Delaware and did considerable damage to 15 homes.

It could have been much worse and the nay-sayers will say there was too much "hype" but what would they be saying if people weren't evacuated and precautions weren't taken and considerable loss of life had occurred?

I think there are very few people in the world who would expect their friends and family to handle everything back home and not bother them with the fact that their home had burned down. But perhaps I should ask around so I don't burden someone on their vacation with such distressing information ... I mean why ruin a perfectly good cruise when there's someone else to pick up the pieces?:rolleyes:.

There is always going to be some hype surrounding a catastrophic storm such as this for many reasons. The first being how else are you going to impress on the public how urgent this might turn out to be??? In this case, fortunately it could have been worse but this was no walk in the park!!

There is massive damage in the billions along the NJ shore as well as the Outer Banks, parts of Virginia and Delaware and other states I'm sure. So call it hype if you want, but if Irene had done the absolute worst she could have done the same people calling it hype would be screaming they weren't warned.

There's just no pleasing some people. I'm just happy to see that so few lives were lost. But without all the warnings we'll never know how many were actually saved.

I heard or read somewhere that the tugs were there to help secure the Veendam at the dock? Not sure about that though.

Glad you checked in, too, Ruth. Stay safe.

Very strange weather here. No rain to speak of yet but it's been windy...yet sunny while sprinkling. Very low barometric pressure. Fred said he saw something on TV about tornados along the coast...guess I'd better flip through the channels to see if I can find anything...and look on the local newspaper site online...

My BIL`s sister and husband were scheduled to be on this cruise. They were supposed to fly out of Vancouver today, but all flights to New York were cancelled last night. They tried to drive down to Seattle to see if they can get a flight from there, but no luck, so drove the 4 hours back home. They had no option, but to cancel their cruise. Then they heard that another Hurricane was targeted for Bermuda. Better to stay home and be safe. Very disappointed when you have planned a cruise and things like this happen. Who new that any of this would affect New York City. I watched the news last night from there and it was like a ghost town in the middle of Manhattan. They even said that McDonald`s and Starbucks were closed down at noon yesterday, due to the fact that employees couldn`t get into town because of the subway being closed.

Archived